Official Greek Theatre Los Angeles thread - 9/9-9/10 - Page 69 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion > DMB Past Tour Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #2041
jonnydehey
"Livin the Dream"

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Official Greek Theatre Los Angeles thread - 9/9-9/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelsFan View Post
As I'm writing my cell number down to leave w/ them, 2 women walk in w/ my bag!! It was sooooo relieving! I love them! lol (Thank you again if you're reading this!)

Now driving down the hill... I bumbed a cone... then (stupidly) decide to fuck around and hit 2 more cones!
---Now I have a motorcycle cop pulling me over! (not realizing I had an empty beer bottle in my cup holder!! Thankfully, the cop didn't see it either!)

He made me walk back & pick up the cones!! (it was that or a ticket---so I was happy to pick them up! lol)

It was an interesting end my night, to say the least.
I had the same cone experience...minus the cop. Cause hitting cones is awesome. There was a guy on the sidewalk by one of the cones and he got scared which made me laugh cause he was like a good 50 feet away.

I found some stuff by a white SUV with Minnesota plates at N1, so if you read this send me a PM.

We hung around and got to meet a little bit of Dave outside his Suburban, didnt get an autograph, but I did get this photo, and got to shake his hand. He looked really tired, but he was nonetheless happy to see the fans.

I saw the "Love" sign, I was supposed to get it from Adam, but I missed out; I was sitting in Section C. Maybe I will see him in Chula.

As for the show, Boyd tore up the violin. That had to be the best show I have seen Boyd just tearing it up. I didnt really see a definitive Carter solo, no definitive Coffin solo.

The crowd up in Section C was stupid. I was dancing and this girl next to me kept giving me the stinkeye. There was "thatguy" without a shirt on. Before the encore, I saw at least 4 couples leaving. The highlight of the crowd was thid girl behind me screaming...I mean SCREAMING! the lyrics to Gravedigger. Not pleasant, but pleasantly surprised to hear a real fan.

N2 was better than N1. See ya'll in Chula!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6103a.JPG (16.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6105a.JPG (23.1 KB, 46 views)
"Ya’ll there’s a whole lot of us so I figured that if we can all hang out this close together and dance and party and get high and get drunk, we must be able to do the rest of the world like this so, this is one sweet world."
~Dave Matthews

Last edited by jonnydehey; 09-11-2009 at 09:13 AM.
jonnydehey is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #2042
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

People need to realize that these are LA shows, not Alpine, SPAC, WPB, or the Gorge. The crowd here is very different, just look at the amount of people posting in this thread compared to the 'Big 4' stops if you will. Not that post count matters, but LA doesn't have a huge DMB fan base compared to other cities the band plays in. This is town with out a pro football team, unless you consider USC a pro team. (And they pretty much are. They could easily beat the Raiders, Lion, and Browns.) People here want to be entertained, seen and noticed. They don't care, nor do most of them now the vast DMB catalogue, so they wouldn't know a rare tune from a new one. Plus I am sure there outside of the people in this thread, there weren't many people that went to both nights. Hence the heavy repeats.

Factor all the in, and you get these two shows.
    Old 09-11-2009, 09:21 AM   #2043
    Alandmb
    Amazin what a min cando

Shows Seen: 111

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Good morning, First of all, i want to thank the girl that left the note on my car last night, very kind of you.

Second, if you are the owner or know the person that drives a CHEVY TAHOE (GOLD) that hit my car in the parking lot of the Greek Theatre, CA license plate 6CJA891 please contact me today, before i report the incident to my insurance; i don't think you want it on your record as a hit and run.

Thank you again to the great DMB fans that witnessed the incident and left the note.

Sincerely,
    Alan
    Alandmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #2044
    tombellanca

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

there was a lot of interaction between Dave/Boyd and the folks at the front of the pit. Was great to see the band acknowledge and enjoy the crowd. Particularily Boyd during LIOG he was right up in some folks faces and I think during the Ants intro, Dave was really showing his appreciation to a crew right up front and how much he enjoyed them.
    Good job pit crew!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazeeee View Post
    I sat next to GrooGrux420 and his friend Donna. Super chill, nice people. Groo had his LOVE sign...Boyd gave him some love and played right in front of him. I held up my LOVE shirt during Ants. Boyd played right in front of me during that. Boyd came over and shook hands with us. Carter handed Groo a stick...Dave was walking off the stage. I yelled DAVE he turn around. I held up the shirt. He gave me a thumbs up. I motioned and threw him the shirt. He caught it and said Thank-You. Fun night.
    tombellanca is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #2045
    javierm27

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    People need to realize that these are LA shows, not Alpine, SPAC, WPB, or the Gorge. The crowd here is very different, just look at the amount of people posting in this thread compared to the 'Big 4' stops if you will. Not that post count matters, but LA doesn't have a huge DMB fan base compared to other cities the band plays in. This is town with out a pro football team, unless you consider USC a pro team. (And they pretty much are. They could easily beat the Raiders, Lion, and Browns.) People here want to be entertained, seen and noticed. They don't care, nor do most of them now the vast DMB catalogue, so they wouldn't know a rare tune from a new one. Plus I am sure there outside of the people in this thread, there weren't many people that went to both nights. Hence the heavy repeats.

Factor all the in, and you get these two shows.
    The shows were pretty solid, and frankly I was surprised by the crowd we got last night. Not the normal LA crowd, which was surprising. I think a lot of the people in the crowd were from out of town, so maybe thats why, haha. Looking forward to Chula though and seeing what they pull out there.
    javierm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #2046
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by javierm27 View Post
    The shows were pretty solid, and frankly I was surprised by the crowd we got last night. Not the normal LA crowd, which was surprising. I think a lot of the people in the crowd were from out of town, so maybe thats why, haha. Looking forward to Chula though and seeing what they pull out there.
    This was only the 3rd time I have missed DMB shows in LA, HB 06 and Staples last year being the others, and I go back on forth on going to LA shows. I have seen a vast majority my DMB shows in LA, so I don't have a great comparison to work with, but I know the LA crowd. Glad that last nights crowd didn't live up, or down, to that model.

I am really looking forward to Chula. Should be a great show, as it typically is down in there.
    Old 09-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #2047
    javierm27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This was only the 3rd time I have missed DMB shows in LA, HB 06 and Staples last year being the others, and I go back on forth on going to LA shows. I have seen a vast majority my DMB shows in LA, so I don't have a great comparison to work with, but I know the LA crowd. Glad that last nights crowd didn't live up, or down, to that model.

I am really looking forward to Chula. Should be a great show, as it typically is down in there.
    My one gripe with the crowd though was on the Stone, maybe people didn't know the outro, but the Can't Help Falling in Love outro was pretty weak, even Carter had to point to the crowd to keep it going. You should hear the improv jam they pulled out though it was pretty sweet.
    Old 09-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #2048
    ZMB
    Steady As I Go

Shows Seen: 73

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I sat next to GrooGrux420 and his friend Donna. Super chill, nice people. Groo had his LOVE sign...Boyd gave him some love and played right in front of him. I held up my LOVE shirt during Ants. Boyd played right in front of me during that. Boyd came over and shook hands with us. Carter handed Groo a stick...Dave was walking off the stage. I yelled DAVE he turn around. I held up the shirt. He gave me a thumbs up. I motioned and threw him the shirt. He caught it and said Thank-You. Fun night.
    Dopeness!! I can't wait to wear mine to the Irvine show in two days.
    ZMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #2049
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My one gripe with the crowd though was on the Stone, maybe people didn't know the outro, but the Can't Help Falling in Love outro was pretty weak, even Carter had to point to the crowd to keep it going. You should hear the improv jam they pulled out though it was pretty sweet.
    That is pretty weak sauce. But that is what you get from a crowd that isn't as fanatical/weird/obsessed/strungout as we all are about DMB.
    Old 09-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #2050
    javierm27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That is pretty weak sauce. But that is what you get from a crowd that isn't as fanatical/weird/obsessed/strungout as we all are about DMB.
    Yeah this is true. Well I had a great time at these shows, so glad I was able to get Typical and LIOG as well as The Stone. Hoping for OSW at Chula.
    Old 09-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #2051
    methodsmadness

Shows Seen: 66

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

anyone have any pics from the shows (which I had a GREAT time at!)? I didn't bring in my camera because we parked so far away and I didn't want to risk the trek back in case...
    methodsmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #2052
    tazeeee

Shows Seen: 65

My Tour Central Stats

Camera nazis in full force last night. I know a guy by me got some pics.
    We got a few.
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...0092016-01.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...0091952-00.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...0091947-00.jpg

Last edited by tazeeee; 09-11-2009 at 11:16 AM.
    tazeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #2053
    javierm27

My Tour Central Stats

I hope they come back to the Greek next year, it was awesome to see them play here.
    Old 09-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #2054
    AngelsFan

Shows Seen: 86

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alandmb View Post
    Good morning, First of all, i want to thank the girl that left the note on my car last night, very kind of you.

Second, if you are the owner or know the person that drives a CHEVY TAHOE (GOLD) that hit my car in the parking lot of the Greek Theatre, CA license plate 6CJA891 please contact me today, before i report the incident to my insurance; i don't think you want it on your record as a hit and run.

Thank you again to the great DMB fans that witnessed the incident and left the note.

Sincerely,
    Alan
    I was right there where you parked! I didn't see what happened, but the lady I helped jump-start her car told me what happened. I'm glad someone left you a note ---- whoever hit you is an idiot. He's lucky you're giving him a second chance! (For his sake, I hope he see's this.)

I'll be back 'round again... yes I'll walk in time with you old friend
    2013: Chula | Irvine | Shoreline
    AngelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #2055
    420th jimi
    West Coast LoVE!

Shows Seen: 75

My Tour Central Stats

I got some pix from Sec B but the photo Nazi's were taking people out of their seats and taking camera's. Ridiculous. I did get some pix and will post them asap. I'm dead tired and haven't slept much the last 2 days. Gonna check in over at Chula and then I am going to bed! I'll post a review later, I put a small one a few pages back after the show.
    Old 09-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #2056
    AngelsFan

Shows Seen: 86

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zacbecerra View Post
    This is a very good story. I enjoyed it. Maybe you should head to Vegas this weekend.
    Ha-ha thanks! I'll be happy just getting through the rest of this weekend (Chula & Irvine) safely!

I'll be back 'round again... yes I'll walk in time with you old friend
    2013: Chula | Irvine | Shoreline
    AngelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #2057
    jaazzman

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

anyone see original setlist on the board last night to see if Two Step was supposed to be on after Time Bomb?
    jaazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #2058
    javierm27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaazzman View Post
    anyone see original setlist on the board last night to see if Two Step was supposed to be on after Time Bomb?
    Will that lessen any of the disappointment for you, especially since they didnt play any Crash songs.
    Old 09-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #2059
    lilannie
    Spinning on the wind

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Haven't really backread much, but are people really saying the crowd wasn't really into these shows? This would surprise me because both nights I was amazed at the enthusiasm I was witnessing. It seemed to me that very few people were sitting down. Everyone around us was up on their feet the entire time.
    lilannie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #2060
    javierm27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilannie View Post
    Haven't really backread much, but are people really saying the crowd wasn't really into these shows? This would surprise me because both nights I was amazed at the enthusiasm I was witnessing. It seemed to me that very few people were sitting down. Everyone around us was up on their feet the entire time.
    Same here everyone was on their feet, singing and dancing. I thought the crowd was really into it.
    Old 09-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #2061
    cswright
    Willy the Polar Bear

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Will that lessen any of the disappointment for you, especially since they didnt play any Crash songs.
    hahaha
    u guys who insist that song is not sister are dumb. do u not know about the bonus disk or what? its obviously sister. theres no way that song is going to be called my baby blue. dave loves sister and its not like hes gonna take the same musical components and put it in a completely different song
    cswright is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #2062
    cswright
    Willy the Polar Bear

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

that guys N2 review: http://soundcheck.freedomblogging.co...e-first/11601/
    u guys who insist that song is not sister are dumb. do u not know about the bonus disk or what? its obviously sister. theres no way that song is going to be called my baby blue. dave loves sister and its not like hes gonna take the same musical components and put it in a completely different song
    cswright is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #2063
    dbglodowski
    Dan Glodowski

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Travelodge reunion!!
    http://www.myspace.com/danielbglodowski
    dbglodowski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #2064
    javierm27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cswright View Post
    Pretty good review, I enjoyed both of the articles he wrote.
    Old 09-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #2065
    jaazzman

My Tour Central Stats

if you would have looked at a later post
    you would have seen I mentioned TB...
    actually it would have if they did!!
    surprised more of you that saw both nights as well are ok with 6 overlaps?
    Old 09-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #2066
    javierm27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    if you would have looked at a later post
    you would have seen I mentioned TB...
    actually it would have if they did!!
    surprised more of you that saw both nights as well are ok with 6 overlaps?
    posted this before but this is what I thought of the 2 night stand I saw.

Got to hear the Stone, Typical, LIOG, Billies, Nancies, Grey Street, Jimi Thing with Daves Scat, R&R, Stay or Leave, Crush, WAYG, YMDT(which I am glad someone pointed out Jungle Boogie was the interpol in that), Gravedigger had a pretty sweet intro by Carter, Improv Jam was pretty sick and Alligator Pie->Ants was pretty freaking awesome tonight!

I was also able to hear all the songs from the album, pretty solid 2 night stand. Encore left me wanting for more, I was hoping for Two Step.

I thought it was pretty cool that they played all the songs off the new album, and that encore in N1, man was that sweet.
    Old 09-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #2067
    jaazzman

My Tour Central Stats

agree with what you wrote; but you like WAYG? not a huge fan of Jimi Thing... (seen it 30+ times over 16 years)...
    was hoping for BOWA, Bartender, Two Step, 41, Beach Ball, Pig, Warehouse, Watchtower, Say Goodbye, and Granny... (dreaming for Crazy Easy, Idea of You...)

my point, no reason to overlap "6" songs from BW; not sure if this has ever been done in DMB history back to back according to the almanac....
    Old 09-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #2068
    methodsmadness

Shows Seen: 66

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    wow! great pics and GREAT seats! thanks for the photos - keep 'em coming!
    methodsmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #2069
    vortec42

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

I didn't see anyone post this, but did anyone see the bad accident on the way out after N1? We got forced to go up the hill, past the observatory (the long way out) and they had someone on a stretcher, loading them into the ambulance. Not suprising, considering the twisty roads and how dark it was. Hope no one was seriously hurt.

Also, it was pretty annoying that they gave me a hard time dropping off tickets at will call. I had four friends who were arriving late and therefore two sets of tickets to drop off - I didn't want to wait for them (and miss the start of the show) and also miss getting a poster as well. They accepted one pair but said "the band" didn't allow drop offs - the other pair was in a warehouse envelope, not sure if that was the problem? So I gave the pair they wouldn't take to my girlfriend (who had called less than an hour before to confirm that we could do this!) and unfortunately she got the same window and was also rejected. She went inside to get a poster and left me outside to wait. I got the bright idea to flip the envelope inside out, then waited for the windows to free up so I could get a different attendant. This guy took them, but asked me to put them in their own envelope ("so it would work with our system better" - whatever?). Well he took it and I went happily inside, got a poster, and had plenty of time to enjoy my $5 hot dog and $12 beer, along with my $50 poster. Jeez.

Is this normal that DMB doesn't allow will-call drop-offs?

Sorry for the rambling but I think it's an interesting story... great show, great venue (other than the above BS). After seeing the N2 reports I'm not as disappointed that I had to leave town after N1...

Last edited by vortec42; 09-11-2009 at 02:58 PM.
    vortec42 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #2070
    javierm27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    agree with what you wrote; but you like WAYG? not a huge fan of Jimi Thing... (seen it 30+ times over 16 years)...
    was hoping for BOWA, Bartender, Two Step, 41, Beach Ball, Pig, Warehouse, Watchtower, Say Goodbye, and Granny... (dreaming for Crazy Easy, Idea of You...)

my point, no reason to overlap "6" songs from BW; not sure if this has ever been done in DMB history back to back according to the almanac....
    I know WAYG gets a lot of crap, but I do enjoy it. Its a simple song, but theres just something about it, I really enjoy the guitar/sax on that song too. Jimi Thing is one of my favorites, I would go on the side of saying when they released their past albums the same thing occurred. However as you know its been 4 years since their last album so the memory of them touring during an album year is probably not fresh on the mind.

Anywho, I went into these concerts wanting to hear the BW songs, as well as some of their classics, I personally am satisfied. Especially since within these 2 nights I heard the whole album, minus Grux.

Sorry to hear that you aren't satisfied and are disappointed but within your 46 shows I am sure you know how the roller coaster goes. If anything next years tour should be amazing. I just hope they come back to the Greek.