Live Trax 55: Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre 4.29.09 - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > Live Releases

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-24-2021, 03:07 PM   #91
RSSR
Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Live Trax 55: Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre 4.29.09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw_ View Post
I say this every new release thread but...

why the fuck are we still doing pre-orders in this day and age? Just announce it when it’s live to purchase or listen.
Vinyl in the first time, maybe ever, outsells CDs. I’m sure now it’s a way for management to gauge how many CDs.
RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-24-2021, 03:12 PM   #92
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    DMB posted an announcement on their YouTube page 3 hours ago and it has no responses yet. Crickets
    They (whoever is running their accounts) have no idea how to use social media.

12 likes! Last community post is from 4 months ago, about Central Park anniversary. It has 48 likes and 1 comment.

They’re so bad at this.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 03:16 PM   #93
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

A look around their other social accounts and it’s just as bad. On IG they have 653 likes over 4 hours and 7 comments. On Twitter they have 47 likes, 11 retweets, and 6 comment replies. On Facebook it’s 153 reactions (either like, heart, or laugh emoji), 22 comments, and 6 shares.

That’s brutal engagement for a band like them.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 03:21 PM   #94
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Most of the most positive comments for LT54 were from those of us who had the Caash bootleg of this show 20 years ago and were thrilled to have a SBD recording.

I have no idea why they chose this show, the best Beach Ball has already been released so that's not even a selling point for me. 5/8 or 5/9 would have been good choices. I was at 5/8 and 5/9 was my 29th birthday.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 03:37 PM   #95
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    Most of the most positive comments for LT54 were from those of us who had the Caash bootleg of this show 20 years ago and were thrilled to have a SBD recording.

I have no idea why they chose this show, the best Beach Ball has already been released so that's not even a selling point for me. 5/8 or 5/9 would have been good choices. I was at 5/8 and 5/9 was my 29th birthday.
    I’m older than you, not by a lot, by days.
    Old 03-24-2021, 03:56 PM   #96
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

They should have released the spring 09 opener at msg, if they were going with that tour
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 04:02 PM   #97
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

The Spring '09 tour (and '09 overall actually) is pretty underrated so I don't hate this. But yeah, could've picked a much better show.

The '09 BW era was so exciting even if the album was one of the worst albums of all time.
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 04:16 PM   #98
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Other than maybe LT53, you'd get the impression no one has been happy here since maybe LT50. No, skip that, people complained Hershey '04 was a weak '04 show.
    Old 03-24-2021, 04:20 PM   #99
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

50 and 53 are fantastic releases. If those shows aren’t liked then I’m not sure what could please people. 04/98 are way better than something like this
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 04:23 PM   #100
    SPAC_Boy

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    One positive to take away is that there are barely any repeats between the 6/20/09 release and the new live trax.
    True, but that 6/20/09 show blows this outta the water
    SPAC_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 04:36 PM   #101
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    What’s wrong with LT53s performances?
    Absolutely nothing. It's a great show. The mix isn't very good, so the LT loses a couple points for me, but I still give it 8/10.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 04:45 PM   #102
    MarkMilberg

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    Yep, the year or tour isn’t the problem, it’s the show picked within that tour. If they picked 9/15/00, I would’ve felt the same way.
    Based on the setlist, I would have expected that to be a great show, especially with the Flecktones guesting.

Is it full of bad performances, or is it just a setlist full of songs that you don't want to hear?
    MarkMilberg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 04:48 PM   #103
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I liked LT53 and 54 a lot. I'll prob pass on this one...
    Old 03-24-2021, 05:59 PM   #104
    Scoundrel

Shows Seen: 14

My Tour Central Stats

This choice would land a lot better if DMB were following Bruce Springsteen's model of monthly live releases. Weak shows don't hit so hard when there's another one coming a month later. DMB still acts like every release is a huge event and puts half a year or more between releases. Then shows like this are even bigger let downs because it will be another half a year before we see anything else (if at all).

That said, I might actually buy this. I remember distinctly following the Spring '09 shows, excited for new material. Beach Ball was an instant favorite, though of course the next performance on 5/1 is the best version.

Last edited by Scoundrel; 03-24-2021 at 06:00 PM.
    Scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 07:52 PM   #105
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    A look around their other social accounts and it’s just as bad. On IG they have 653 likes over 4 hours and 7 comments. On Twitter they have 47 likes, 11 retweets, and 6 comment replies. On Facebook it’s 153 reactions (either like, heart, or laugh emoji), 22 comments, and 6 shares.

That’s brutal engagement for a band like them.
    I also thought the social media engagement seemed incredibly low but I honestly wonder if they even track that stuff.

It’s disappointing knowing we probably won’t get another one of these announcements for another 2-3 months, too.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 09:45 PM   #106
    djamieb

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    Among these two opinions ... I am more with HonestDenver1. LT53 wasn’t a great LT after all, I mean, the setlist was great, but both performance and audio quality were not so good.

I remember I wrote a LT review here for 53:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DMB/comment...tm_name=iossmf
    That was a fun read! Thanks for taking the time to type and share that write-up, bud.

Yeah, for me, Live Trax 53 is a little lacking in attention to detail. It's like 85 to 90% of the way there to being a solid mix/master, but the extra effort to fine tune that last 10% and take it over the top wasn't executed. I wish it had more clarity and depth. Overall, it's just a tad bit uneven and somewhat lacking polish. (Not a slam on their mixing or mastering engineer, 'cause this stuff is challenging, no doubt, and I'm sure they have a limited timetable for turnaround.)

The mix on 53 (and 54 had this issue, as well...) also feels like it's all being pushed toward the center channel compared to some of their home-run mixes (Red Rocks '95, LT 3 and LT 8, for example - those 3 shows have such incredible depth and space around each instrument). By comparison, LT 53 sounds a little bit muddy; not quite enough room for the instruments to breathe on their own and there's a few spots throughout the show where it needs better control over some of the low end dynamics, as well as a bit more high end clarity to really bring out the nuances in Roi's playing, Dave's voice, Carter's high hat work, etc. Things like that.

Anyway, I hope LT 55 has a nice mix for those who are planning on picking it up! I'm probably passing on this one... as excited as I get about each new show being announced, I know I'd probably only listen to an '09 show one time and would be unlikely to revisit it again; I feel like I have all I really want/need from that era already and simply prefer the '98-'04 years for a new release that will hold my interest for multiple listens at this point in time. But I do hope this turns out to be a good one for anyone who's getting it!
    Old 03-24-2021, 09:49 PM   #107
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    5/8 or 5/9 would have been good choices. I was at 5/8 and 5/9 was my 29th birthday.
    5/9 would've been a nice choice
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 10:04 PM   #108
    kenticus

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I mean honestly what in this set does anyone get pumped about? Just nothing really here that screams excitement or unique or really anything, just kind of run of the mill 2009. Live trax 35 is from 2009, covers the best tunes from here, AND has a bunch of other awesome stuff not featured on here, so like I just don’t get the point then of what this LT 55 achieves? This one ain’t gonna sell well imo...
    kenticus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 10:15 PM   #109
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

My issue with LT 53 was just how bland of a set it was compared to the rest of the tour.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 10:19 PM   #110
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

LT35 was one of the best 2009 shows they could've picked
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2021, 11:31 PM   #111
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djamieb View Post
    That was a fun read! Thanks for taking the time to type and share that write-up, bud.

Yeah, for me, Live Trax 53 is a little lacking in attention to detail. It's like 85 to 90% of the way there to being a solid mix/master, but the extra effort to fine tune that last 10% and take it over the top wasn't executed. I wish it had more clarity and depth. Overall, it's just a tad bit uneven and somewhat lacking polish. (Not a slam on their mixing or mastering engineer, 'cause this stuff is challenging, no doubt, and I'm sure they have a limited timetable for turnaround.)

The mix on 53 (and 54 had this issue, as well...) also feels like it's all being pushed toward the center channel compared to some of their home-run mixes (Red Rocks '95, LT 3 and LT 8, for example - those 3 shows have such incredible depth and space around each instrument). By comparison, LT 53 sounds a little bit muddy; not quite enough room for the instruments to breathe on their own and there's a few spots throughout the show where it needs better control over some of the low end dynamics, as well as a bit more high end clarity to really bring out the nuances in Roi's playing, Dave's voice, Carter's high hat work, etc. Things like that.

Anyway, I hope LT 55 has a nice mix for those who are planning on picking it up! I'm probably passing on this one... as excited as I get about each new show being announced, I know I'd probably only listen to an '09 show one time and would be unlikely to revisit it again; I feel like I have all I really want/need from that era already and simply prefer the '98-'04 years for a new release that will hold my interest for multiple listens at this point in time. But I do hope this turns out to be a good one for anyone who's getting it!

When I listen to Djamieb going into technical details on why a CD didn’t sound as good as the others is like when I go to the doctor and he can tell me a number of things just looking at my X-rays..
    I cannot fully understand but I am amazed on how he can tell so many things (that match) from a little piece of information.
    Old 03-25-2021, 05:47 AM   #112
    dmbclstj2

Shows Seen: 80

My Tour Central Stats

Very excited about this release, I have a slight bias because I was there but this one on paper might not excite you, but this was a fun one a step above most Spring 2009 shows I've listened to. Worth the purchase IMHO.
    dmbclstj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2021, 06:31 AM   #113
    laststopdmb

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbclstj2 View Post
    Very excited about this release, I have a slight bias because I was there but this one on paper might not excite you, but this was a fun one a step above most Spring 2009 shows I've listened to. Worth the purchase IMHO.
    I'm looking forward to the release too because I was also there. I remember these two shows being really solid and the band had a lot of energy. With that said, I think Pehlam and the two Vegas shows blew these shows out of the water. It still is crazy to wonder how these shows are picked. I think it's hilarious it's something this random when most of us thought a 2001 show was happening.
    Old 03-25-2021, 06:34 AM   #114
    mquerques92

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laststopdmb View Post
    I'm looking forward to the release too because I was also there. I remember these two shows being really solid and the band had a lot of energy. With that said, I think Pehlam and the two Vegas shows blew these shows out of the water. It still is crazy to wonder how these shows are picked. I think it's hilarious it's something this random when most of us thought a 2001 show was happening.
    2001 only would have made sense if it was paired with some kind of Everyday anniversary edition. There was never any reason to expect it over any other year otherwise.
    mquerques92 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2021, 06:39 AM   #115
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laststopdmb View Post
    Only ONE person was convinced this was happening.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:42 AM   #116
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

You would think tho that feb would’ve been prime for LT55 being 7/25/01 with everyday 20th anniversary vinyl.

These guys don’t think tho so I get it.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2021, 06:46 AM   #117
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    You would think tho that feb would’ve been prime for LT55 being 7/25/01 with everyday 20th anniversary vinyl.

These guys don’t think tho so I get it.
    Yeah, they just don't seem to care about that stuff.

LT41 seemed like a no-brainer to feature and awesome 41... naaaah.
    LT34 same as above

Anything else that would be a slam dunk... they just seem to avoid it. You have to think they do it on purpose.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2021, 07:21 AM   #118
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    Don't worry, Nashville will have a fun little release coming up! Widely talked about show!
    This is the only thing has my interest piqued about this release.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2021, 07:42 AM   #119
    dmbclstj2

Shows Seen: 80

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Hope its not the May 2019 show, woof haha

I'd love the 1998 show to be released. One that I wish would see the day of light. Bela on the Stone is worth the price of the release alone.
    dmbclstj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-25-2021, 07:48 AM   #120
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Hilly be trollin'.