What gear are you using? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-20-2018, 12:39 PM   #1
grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

What gear are you using?

I'm a guitarist that dabbles in bass. I've amassed a good collection of instruments about 50/50 electric vs. acoustic.

We can get into more details if people start responding to this thread...
grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-23-2018, 07:13 AM   #2
    thebeez85

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: What gear are you using?

I've played a bunch of different acoustics over the years, but over the past several years I've settled on a Blueridge BR-63, with a custom 000 style pickguard, and a Fishman Acoustic Matrix Natural II pickup (although Im replacing the pickup soon with a K & K Pure Mini. I use this guitar strictly in raised-B tuning, using Elixir extra light nanoweb strings.

My main standard tuning acoustic is a Taylor 114e, using the built in ES2 pickup system and Elixir nanoweb light strings.
    thebeez85 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
    thebeez85

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

oh and I use a Fishman Loudbox mini amp, the (smallest) 60w model. Has plenty of output and a mic input for solo/small gigs AND it has an XLR out for running to a mixing console.
    thebeez85 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

All of my acoustics have electronics, but I don't have an acoustic amps. Two Taks, a Gecko LTD and EAN 55C, the Morgan Monroe MMV12CE (short scale 12-string), a La Patrie Concert CW (nylon string), and my always out beater an Ibanez Talman TCY10. I also have a Godin A5 fretted bass...and do I have a bass amp for it? Nope.

Just got my first set of Elixirs for the Tak EAN55C, I'm eager to see how much longer they last. I've been using jazz electric strings (w/ the wound G) on the Talman...they're much brighter than bronze or phosphor bronze strings. I never got around to putting a set on one of my full-sized acoustics.

I got between using a picks and just using my fingers. I tend to grab whatever's handy when I use a pick...used be picky about it. But I'd been playing mostly the nylon string for the past couple of years, so I don't have steel string calluses...gotta build them back up.
    Old 08-13-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Fun thread! I love talking guitars and wish more people posted in the Musician Discussion.

Here is my current lineup, though I am getting more and more involved with trades/selling/etc. In the last year I sold my 914ce and Baritone-8 and picked up the Lowden's.

Lowden S-35 Koa/Redwood
    Lowden F-35 Chechen/Redwood (DADGAD tuning)
    Kronbauer SMB Custom 12-fret (raised b tuning)
    Veillette Merlin
    Veillette Gryphon
    Taylor 714ce Wildwood Custom
    Taylor 150e 12-string
    Taylor Mahogany Baby
    '98 Martin DM
    '98 Paul Reed Smith CE24
    Fender Strat (tuned to Eb)
    Custom Ibanez (tuned down to C)
    '60 Silvertone Banjo
    Kala Tenor Uke
    Caramel Baritone Uke
    And just got my daughter a Fender FA Nylon 3/4 guitar.

I've been in the process of slowly upgrading a lot of the older/laminates - it's been a process.

The only amp I play is a 4x10 Fender Hot Rod Deville. I don't really plug in much any more. The older I get the less appeal it has. If that ever changed I'd upgrade the amp, too. I've had the 714 maybe 5 years and haven't plugged it in once
    Old 08-14-2018, 04:15 AM   #6
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

My electrics are:
    - ‘90 PRS Custom “10” top and birds
    - ‘92 Am STD Strat maple board with SD JB, Jr neck pup in bridge and White Hot Rail neck pup in bridge.
    - ‘92 or 93 MIJ Thinkine Tele Reissue w/ six saddle ashtray bridge, SD 59 pup in neck and Barden Tele pup in bridge
    - ‘96 ASAT Special w/ their wide fat (and flat, 12” radius) maple boarded neck
    - ‘94 PRS CE-22 w/ maple too
    - 2014 or 15 Godin Session Custom w/ maple board

Amps...
    Fender Blues DeVille 2x12
    Fender Mustang

Effects..
    - Boss DS-1
    - Boss CE-2
    - Crybaby wah
    - MESA V-Twin preamp
    - TC Electronic Fashback II delay
    - Dunlop Band of Gypsys mini-fuzz

The big amp is really too loud and hasn’t been plugged in for close to 15 years. The Mustang is more usable at home.

While I love electric guitar, it has been secondary to acoustics for close to two decades. I haven’t plugged in an acoustic in about five years.

So jealous about the Lowdens, they’re dream guitars, but I can’t justify the cost. I haven’t played w/ other folks for more than 15 years too. While I’d like to remedy that, time is in short shrift.
    Old 08-14-2018, 04:26 AM   #7
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Sorry, short supply...typing on the metro and auto correct totally fucking up what I’m spelling and then my five minutes to edit dropped to about two...weird.
    Old 08-14-2018, 06:12 AM   #8
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

My Tour Central Stats

I’m with you on plugging in, I’m about the same. When I learned it was the opposite, plug into some distortion box and go. Couldn’t tell you the last time I did that. I would have to open my pedal board to even see what I still have, lol.

And yeah Lowden’s aren’t cheap but I love them.

I bet that PRS is awesome! I love mine, it’s not too of the line by any means, but it’s an excellent guitar.
    Old 08-14-2018, 07:49 AM   #9
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post
    I’m with you on plugging in, I’m about the same. When I learned it was the opposite, plug into some distortion box and go. Couldn’t tell you the last time I did that. I would have to open my pedal board to even see what I still have, lol.

And yeah Lowden’s aren’t cheap but I love them.

I bet that PRS is awesome! I love mine, it’s not too of the line by any means, but it’s an excellent guitar.
    Yeah, my taste in acoustics far exceeds my available disposable income (I have none). When I had disposable income or would have prioritized getting a high-end Larrivee, Lowden, Martin, or Taylor I was generally (and foolishly) more focused on electrics. When I got my Tak LTD I was ina shop and compared it to every Taylor (before there were "cheap" Taylors) and Martin cutaway in the store. Honestly, the Tak sounded equal or better. The Taylors probably played the best, but I'm pretty adaptable, so I went with what sounded the best to my ears. Similar situation about six or so years later with the second Tak. My only issue with either now is the nut width, I wish they both had 1 3/4" instead of the their 1 11/16". I'm working on getting new nuts that cut wider to get a little more space, but I'm always leery of messing with acoustics. Electrics, especially Fender-style bolt-ons I have little concern about or fear of modding.

PRS CEs are essentially every bit as good as the regular set-neck guitars, just different recipe. MY CE-22 has the alder body under the maple top. Combined with the maple neck, it sounds quite different than the mahogany bodies and necked 24 fret custom. American-made PRSes are excellent instruments, all the more so if you like their sound and feel...which many folks do not.
    Old 08-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #10
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    Yeah, my taste in acoustics far exceeds my available disposable income (I have none). When I had disposable income or would have prioritized getting a high-end Larrivee, Lowden, Martin, or Taylor I was generally (and foolishly) more focused on electrics. When I got my Tak LTD I was ina shop and compared it to every Taylor (before there were "cheap" Taylors) and Martin cutaway in the store. Honestly, the Tak sounded equal or better. The Taylors probably played the best, but I'm pretty adaptable, so I went with what sounded the best to my ears. Similar situation about six or so years later with the second Tak. My only issue with either now is the nut width, I wish they both had 1 3/4" instead of the their 1 11/16". I'm working on getting new nuts that cut wider to get a little more space, but I'm always leery of messing with acoustics. Electrics, especially Fender-style bolt-ons I have little concern about or fear of modding.

PRS CEs are essentially every bit as good as the regular set-neck guitars, just different recipe. MY CE-22 has the alder body under the maple top. Combined with the maple neck, it sounds quite different than the mahogany bodies and necked 24 fret custom. American-made PRSes are excellent instruments, all the more so if you like their sound and feel...which many folks do not.
    I hear that! If the Taks sounded bet then that's the way to go! I've never experienced widening a nut on an acoustic. I did on an old electric I had and it worked fine.

If I were to get another electric, which again I don't plan on any time soon, it would definitely be another PRS. I love them. I looked into SE's a few years ago and ultimately passed, I'd go after the real deal.
    Old 08-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #11
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

I forgot to mention my Ditto looper pedal. Got the basic mini one, but I'm thinking about moving up to the X2 or a Jam Man...something with a bit more functionality. Idk

I've been tempted by the SEs, but I've never played one. I hear good things, but I've already got PRS covered. That said, if I got into a gigging situation and wanted a guitar that sounded and played like a PRS, I would consider a SE model, just to not worry about my Custom...

Last edited by grilldanmo; 08-14-2018 at 09:23 AM.
    Old 08-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #12
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

My Tour Central Stats

Do you record at all, grilldanmo?
    Old 08-14-2018, 08:28 PM   #13
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post
    Do you record at all, grilldanmo?
    I do not. I believe my timing has become somewhat suspect having not played with real people in years.

"Practice" time is not something I can finagle.
    Old 08-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #14
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

As to recording...

I jot down riff ideas (tabs...know the notes and chords, but too lazy to figure out the timing) and try to record bits on my phone or from the looper (and then on said phone).

That said, I've not started any ideas in a about a year and half. Got ukes for my boys two Christmases ago hoping it might excite them, but it didn't work out. I, however, was playing the tenor I got for my oldest pretty much daily for the better part of year. Spent some transposing tunes and started working Jake's Why My Guitar, and came up with a few parts for potential tunes. The new/different instrument was definitely inspiring.
    Old 01-27-2023, 09:56 AM   #15
    Spell On Me
    Made To Be Played

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Surprised this tread didn't get more traction. I've been playing guitar since I was a kid, but have recently moved over to bass. For all of the years I've been playing, I think I'm a better bass player than I ever was a guitar player which is kind of depressing. Here's what I currently have:

Bass
    Guild Starfire I
    Jackson Spectra
    Fender Rumble 25 practice amp (I use a Hartke HA2500 and Hartke Transporter 410 & 115 when I'm practicing with my band)
    Darkglass microtubes x bass pre amp/distortion
    MXR octave delux
    Vintage DOD chorus

Guitar
    Taylor 314CE 2005 Special Edition
    1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio
    Marshall practice amp
    Boss GT-5
    Dunlap Cry Baby
    Old 01-27-2023, 01:16 PM   #16
    dpduke5173

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Acoustic

-Martin D-41 Sunburst
    -Taylor GS Mini Koa (ES-2 electronics)
    -Alvarez RD8SB

Electric

-PRS Custom 24 20th Anniversary
    -Epiphone Les Paul Standard
    -Ibanez RGT42
    Old 01-30-2023, 02:37 PM   #17
    dmbdreamingtree
    be the light

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

How best to decide on what Gibson electric guitar to buy? I'm not exactly a novice - I have some skill - but not polished at all. I have only ever owned an acoustic guitar I owned since I was 17. I want a guitar under $2500. possibly at least one pedal to play with. Where does one start?
    You're living in an imaginary mental prison of your own creation.
    dmbdreamingtree is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-22-2023, 12:59 PM   #18
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Getting a new Xmas/b-day guitar this year…full size 12-string acoustic. Ibanez AAD1012, nothing fancy w/ electronics I don’t need, but a great price.

Also, in the summer of 2021 I got my American solid wood acoustic, a Larrivee OM-40 w/ a moon spruce top and walnut back & sides. Just a beautiful sounding & playing instrument. Would also like to eventually get an American (or Irish) solid wood dread (or similarly sized) steel string.

Anyway…happy holidays all.