The NHL Thread - Page 2879 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 08-03-2020, 10:46 AM   #86341
aeroshady
Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbogast View Post
I mean...it’s one and a half games..I don’t think the entire sky is falling on the Rangers organization just yet
Oh I agree that it is not sky falling on the entire organization. I am just saying that the people that actually picked the Rangers to beat the Canes and even make a run this year are dumb. I honestly think the Rangers are a year or two away from making the playoffs legitimately let alone competing for a cup.

I would not at all be surprised if they missed the playoffs again next year. I think we are still more along the lines of 3-5 years away from having a prayer of winning a playoff series. Hope I am wrong, but wow, this team looks horrid against an opponent that was ready and knows how to play series hockey.

On the positive side of things: Kakko has looked much improved. If he ever starts scoring consistently he might pan out to be a really good player.
Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
aeroshady is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-03-2020, 11:14 AM   #86342
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I mean...it’s one and a half games..I don’t think the entire sky is falling on the Rangers organization just yet
    Rangers are the 11 seed, so I don't think aero was exagerating. They are very far away from being a playoff team, IMO.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2020, 11:26 AM   #86343
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Rangers are playing a skilled, tough and seasoned opponent who play crash the net hockey very effectively. They are also playoff tested after beating the Caps in 7 and Sweeping the Islanders plus getting experience while getting blown out by the Bruins in the conference final last season. Rangers are not that bad, they are playing a very good team - bad draw for them to face the Canes.
    Old 08-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #86344
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roose13 View Post
    Rangers are the 11 seed, so I don't think aero was exagerating. They are very far away from being a playoff team, IMO.
    Yeah, I mean, we had a great run after January and looked hot, but that was only a small month + section of the season. We looked bad to start the year too.

People had the Ranger easily beating Carolina (who went to the Eastern Finals last season) in this best of 5. Some hockey analysts had NY making a cup run

I think we need to pump the breaks and understand that the Rangers not good yet and still have a lot of "retooling" to do before they can expect to compete.

The Canes (who as I write this just added a 4th goal) have shown that the Rangers are not close yet.
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    Old 08-03-2020, 11:28 AM   #86345
    jcc522
    Take Warning

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

The NHL Thread

Svech hatttttttttyyyyy
    Old 08-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #86346
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lcsulla View Post
    Rangers are playing a skilled, tough and seasoned opponent who play crash the net hockey very effectively. They are also playoff tested after beating the Caps in 7 and Sweeping the Islanders plus getting experience while getting blown out by the Bruins in the conference final last season. Rangers are not that bad, they are playing a very good team - bad draw for them to face the Canes.
    They won the season series and have an amazing record against the Canes. I don't think it is a "bad draw." I think the Rangers are just too young and still lack depth to be a playoff team.

I am obviously upset about it as with any fan that has a team playing right now I wanted to see them win. We waited 4+ months for hockey and it looks like the Rangers are going to be 4 and done until December. I also have to admit that hype gave me a bit of false hope.

All of that said, I live in North Carolina now and have been to more Canes games than any other team in the past 2 years so I knew how good they are and totally predicted they would win this series. I was just hoping the Rangers would show some life rather than just looking like road kill.

For me, I am just hoping they can get a miracle and win the lottery for the #1 pick. That would be the one thing that makes me feel like the Rangers are actually going to be a team that may be a cup contender at some point.
    Old 08-03-2020, 11:44 AM   #86347
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post
    They won the season series and have an amazing record against the Canes. I don't think it is a "bad draw." I think the Rangers are just too young and still lack depth to be a playoff team.

I am obviously upset about it as with any fan that has a team playing right now I wanted to see them win. We waited 4+ months for hockey and it looks like the Rangers are going to be 4 and done until December. I also have to admit that hype gave me a bit of false hope.

All of that said, I live in North Carolina now and have been to more Canes games than any other team in the past 2 years so I knew how good they are and totally predicted they would win this series. I was just hoping the Rangers would show some life rather than just looking like road kill.

For me, I am just hoping they can get a miracle and win the lottery for the #1 pick. That would be the one thing that makes me feel like the Rangers are actually going to be a team that may be a cup contender at some point.
    Season series means squat going into a postseason matchup, I think we would both agree the hotter (so to speak) and more experienced team would be favored.

I know how you feel, I am hoping my Hawks can take a 2-0 series lead tonight and march towards an upset.

Yeah, I would agree. Rangers just don't seem to have it for more than brief bursts, I thought the later stages of game 1 and early in game 2 were good signs but.. well.

I think you are echoing the hopes of every team that loses a play in series, that Lafrenière kid looks like he can come in and make an NHL impact right away.
    Old 08-03-2020, 11:56 AM   #86348
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I think you are echoing the hopes of every team that loses a play in series, that Lafrenière kid looks like he can come in and make an NHL impact right away.
    The rough part is that I know the Rangers just don't have this kind of luck. I am starting to truly believe that the Rangers and their fans are the most tortured fan base in hockey. Especially with the Caps and Blues winning cups finally. Toronto is really the only other team I would say might be there with us, except they have 13 Cups so the can kiss my A$$ too.

Favorite Rangers fan forum quotes so far after the loss:

Fan 1: "someone explain to me again why the Canes where whining about having to play the Rangers in the play-in series?" Fan 2 Response- "Because they wanted to warm up against an actual NHL team."

Fan: "Lots of Rangers are in mid-season form. By that I mean that are missing the net in prime scoring positions."

Fan: "Lets just focus on the Maple Leaf's quest to break our streak. 52 and counting."

Last edited by aeroshady; 08-03-2020 at 11:57 AM.
    Old 08-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #86349
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Oh my gosh we’re really about to fucking play hockey in August. What universe is this

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    I sort of want the Caps to win because Barbs is awesome
    barbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2020, 01:07 PM   #86350
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I mean they’re playing in the playoffs aren’t they?!?!

You know you missed me

Quote:
    Old 08-03-2020, 01:46 PM   #86351
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I mean they’re playing in the playoffs aren’t they?!?!

You know you missed me
    You're the only one I missed, barbs

NHL Thread Banner
    Old 08-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #86352
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You're the only one I missed, barbs
    My man

Still hate the flyers

Quote:
    Old 08-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #86353
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

My Tour Central Stats

Not a very good period from the caps or Tampa there. The rust is apparent. This is really my first time watching bubble hockey and I gotta say, I don’t really notice, especially during the play. It’s apparent sometimes but...overall I’m actually impressed with the NHL’s production of this thing

Quote:
    Old 08-03-2020, 02:26 PM   #86354
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oh my gosh we’re really about to fucking play hockey in August. What universe is this
    I am loving it man, it is like March (in this case August) madness for a Hockey fan! Games galore to start - so many highlights and such. My only completely selfish gripe is that had the COVID burnt itself out as many expected I would be on a cruise right now watching these games with a drink in hand, endless food, fun people and absolutely nothing to worry about except the Hawks taking care of business again tonight if they play like Saturday!
    Old 08-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #86355
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My man

Still hate the flyers

Roose is a good guy.

Shame he is a Flyers fan though.
    Old 08-03-2020, 02:30 PM   #86356
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Lightning are going to be a very tough out.
    Old 08-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #86357
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The rough part is that I know the Rangers just don't have this kind of luck.
    Trust me, I know how you feel. I started off a Whalers fan in the early 1980's and they never did squat then they left in 1997 and I picked the Hawks and they were one of the most awful franchises in sports until the 2008/2009 season so believe me I know your misery. 3/4 or so of my life as a fan has been disappointing watching my hockey teams just be plain awful. The Rangers will get there and it will start with some more high picks I think because the foundation is there.

No idea what this offseason will bring in terms of free agency and international signings considering the cap and COVID - going to make it a bit tougher for teams to get better.

Last edited by Lcsulla; 08-03-2020 at 02:35 PM.
    Lcsulla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #86358
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mthawk07 View Post
    Lightning are going to be a very tough out.
    Heard that last postseason!
    Old 08-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #86359
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

So for those of you who are familiar with hockey ice, how are these two arenas going to hold up with so many games being played back to back on a daily basis?
    Old 08-03-2020, 04:11 PM   #86360
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mthawk07 View Post
    So for those of you who are familiar with hockey ice, how are these two arenas going to hold up with so many games being played back to back on a daily basis?
    On Saturday they said the ice was not great during the first game and was really rough/bad by the last game of the night. Ice crews working hard to improve it though. I think it was better today, but without skating on it myself I can’t really tell. They didn’t mentioning anything during the game.
    Old 08-03-2020, 05:22 PM   #86361
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    On Saturday they said the ice was not great during the first game and was really rough/bad by the last game of the night. Ice crews working hard to improve it though. I think it was better today, but without skating on it myself I can’t really tell. They didn’t mentioning anything during the game.
    I disagree on the issues of the first game Saturday, the ice was fine for about 18 minutes per period just like normal. Puck moving fine, skaters having no issues, the only gripe I heard was that they were concerned about a heat wave in Edmonton. Few game later though that 10:30 Jets/Flames game the ice looked pretty beat up and pucks were bouncing and rolling all game and more players were going down unassisted. Not sure it really benefits either team since they are on the same ice but in later games it might cause problems for the more skilled players and we will probably end up seeing some bad goals on both sides and passing not being as crisp. Still, we have hockey, I am not complaining.
    Old 08-03-2020, 06:17 PM   #86362
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I disagree on the issues of the first game Saturday, the ice was fine for about 18 minutes per period just like normal. Puck moving fine, skaters having no issues, the only gripe I heard was that they were concerned about a heat wave in Edmonton. Few game later though that 10:30 Jets/Flames game the ice looked pretty beat up and pucks were bouncing and rolling all game and more players were going down unassisted. Not sure it really benefits either team since they are on the same ice but in later games it might cause problems for the more skilled players and we will probably end up seeing some bad goals on both sides and passing not being as crisp. Still, we have hockey, I am not complaining.
    I should clarify that I was talking about the games in Toronto not Edmonton! They talked a lot during the Canes/Rangers broadcast about the ice issues and it being rough throughout that game.
    Old 08-03-2020, 08:07 PM   #86363
    kev87lads
    HipHah

Shows Seen: 83

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I think Thursday games are TBD still depending on what the Rangers/Canes do tomorrow. If that series ends, then you can separate the two other games scheduled in Toronto that day. If it doesn’t, I’d imagine that the Flyers/Caps would be the early game since it’s a round robin and not a series game.
    Kev the real MVP here.
    MSG made it 83!
    kev87lads is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2020, 08:34 PM   #86364
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Are the round robin points the same as the regular season? Caps get a point for the OTL?

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2020, 05:10 AM   #86365
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    Are the round robin points the same as the regular season? Caps get a point for the OTL?
    I would assume so.

NHL Thread Banner
    Old 08-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #86366
    swordo84
    . .

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Nice turnaround from the Oil last night. NO freaking idea what to expect out of them tomorrow though.
    swordo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2020, 08:30 AM   #86367
    jrkarger

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

The Penns (at least to me) have sucked out loud so far. The PP couldn’t hit water if it fell out of an effing boat. If they get past Montreal (IF) they will get curb stomped in the next round.

/rant
    Old 08-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #86368
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Ugly scene at the end of the Leafs game. Scary injury from the looks of it.
    Old 08-04-2020, 03:59 PM   #86369
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Ugly scene at the end of the Leafs game. Scary injury from the looks of it.
    Oh damn, I just went and looked. Not Muzzin! Hope he is okay.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
    Go Kings Go.
    dmbetc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2020, 05:55 PM   #86370
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Fun period by the Rangers. Smith destroyed Svechnikov at the end of that period. Definitely the hit of the playoffs so far. Ranger did every thing but score which I am sure will come back to bite them in the ass.

Tags
    #brohan1519