DMB Live at the Hollywood Bowl 9/10/2018 - Page 24 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > Live Releases

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-10-2020, 04:39 PM   #691
BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB Live at the Hollywood Bowl 9/10/2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbclstj2 View Post
Wow that is $15 bucks cheaper than there already 70% off price of $38 on their actual website.
Yeah, these clearly aren't moving well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djamieb View Post
Legit question for those who have listened to this... Are there any excellent versions of songs from this show or is the whole thing a bit rough to listen to? 25 bucks for this on vinyl is obviously a waaaay better deal than the original price, but might still be $25 too much if it's honestly not a good show to even listen to, lol. (I know personal taste in music is subjective; just curious if it's been a one and done for most people who have heard it? Or is it an enjoyable listen to revisit more than once?)
Honestly, for $25 bucks, it's probably worth it. The box and jacket artwork is nice, you get 5LPs, and a download code.

It's still unlikely to be something you spin on vinyl often. But for $25, it's not much to throw down.

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-10-2020, 05:50 PM   #692
    Gjimmy

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Wow is it really only 38 dollars on the DMB site? Dang, they really miscalculated the popularity of this show....
    Gjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2020, 06:20 PM   #693
    bmt322

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Legally? There’s a download code for MP3 files of this release packaged inside the vinyl box. Otherwise, no, they never (haven’t yet) offered this to the masses as a purchasable download. That’s the one thing that amazes me about this release.
    Well if anyone still has an unused mp3 code that they are willing to give up, I’ll gladly take it. PM me please. I attended this show and I want to add it to my collection. It is absurd this one show isn’t fully accessible.
    Old 06-10-2020, 07:16 PM   #694
    djamieb

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Honestly, for $25 bucks, it's probably worth it. The box and jacket artwork is nice, you get 5LPs, and a download code.

It's still unlikely to be something you spin on vinyl often. But for $25, it's not much to throw down.

Sweet! Thanks for the response; I appreciate it! I ended up grabbing one at 25 bucks on Amazon this afternoon before they disappeared at that price. I had a similar thought process as what you typed above while I was checking out, lol. I'm glad I snagged it after getting a friendly nudge from RSSR. Looking forward to giving it a spin when it arrives!
    Old 06-11-2020, 05:23 AM   #695
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gjimmy View Post
    Wow is it really only 38 dollars on the DMB site? Dang, they really miscalculated the popularity of this show....
    No, it's still $105 on DMB's site: https://davematthewsband.shop.musict...yl?cp=1_107018

It had been $38ish on Deep Discount's actual website, and then Deep Discount's Amazon store had it for $25.

Price went back up to $50 on Amazon, and back to $105 on Deep Discount's website. Probably the pickup in sales from those in here caused them to put the price back to see if they can make a margin on the heightened demand

Old 06-11-2020, 12:09 PM   #696
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I got it for 24 bucks on Amazon. Totally worth it. The release sounds great on vinyl at that price.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #697
    Cami

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djamieb View Post
    Legit question for those who have listened to this... Are there any excellent versions of songs from this show or is the whole thing a bit rough to listen to? 25 bucks for this on vinyl is obviously a waaaay better deal than the original price, but might still be $25 too much if it's honestly not a good show to even listen to, lol. (I know personal taste in music is subjective; just curious if it's been a one and done for most people who have heard it? Or is it an enjoyable listen to revisit more than once?)

If you like/enjoy DMB 3.0, I think it’s a good release.
    Good mix, the orchestra adds an infrequent layer, and Dave sounds good. Shame about Squirm’s (which I love) overdub...
    I’ve listened to to it several times and dig it.
    No interest in purchasing the vinyl (at least for now), and without the option of CD/Digital Download, had to obtain it through less reputable sources...
    Sad we’re not being given that option, and surprised they didn’t have a video release / DVD of the show.
    Maybe in the Drive In series?
    Cami is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2020, 07:25 AM   #698
    Crash1983
    2017 Setlist Game Champ

Shows Seen: 93

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cami View Post
    If you like/enjoy DMB 3.0, I think it’s a good release.
    Good mix, the orchestra adds an infrequent layer, and Dave sounds good. Shame about Squirm’s (which I love) overdub...
    I’ve listened to to it several times and dig it.
    No interest in purchasing the vinyl (at least for now), and without the option of CD/Digital Download, had to obtain it through less reputable sources...
    Sad we’re not being given that option, and surprised they didn’t have a video release / DVD of the show.
    Maybe in the Drive In series?
    I did get the vinyl for $24, finally just made it here and it did come with the digital download code.
    Old 07-06-2020, 07:03 AM   #699
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

I haven’t given the vinyl a spin yet but I’m listening to the download. When I’m Weary is a really nice little song. The rest of the release sounds pretty good so far.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-06-2020, 08:03 AM   #700
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Just got to Squirm. The “drum beats louder” thing is so bizarre. The rest of it sounds really good though.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-06-2020, 06:38 PM   #701
    kenticus

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Real yuck release - nothing on here screams BUY ME! might be one of the least horns on a live release full band, Jeff only really gets to give it a rip on Jimi thing and what would you say, in addition to the ants trade off solo section. Plus a full 7 come tomorrow songs, definitely overkill. Orchestra seems like a cool touch and definitely helps here on out, but the orchestra can’t overcome the silly studio vocals overdub on squirm. I feel bad for anyone who legit paid the list price they were charging for the vinyl...
    kenticus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-06-2020, 06:43 PM   #702
    Gjimmy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenticus View Post
    Real yuck release - nothing on here screams BUY ME! might be one of the least horns on a live release full band, Jeff only really gets to give it a rip on Jimi thing and what would you say, in addition to the ants trade off solo section. Plus a full 7 come tomorrow songs, definitely overkill. Orchestra seems like a cool touch and definitely helps here on out, but the orchestra can’t overcome the silly studio vocals overdub on squirm. I feel bad for anyone who legit paid the list price they were charging for the vinyl...
    The complaining about the overdub in squirm cracks me up. It’s an effect they put on his live vocals and it’s literally like 3 seconds of the entire show. Get a grip people!
    Old 07-06-2020, 07:36 PM   #703
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The complaining about the overdub in squirm cracks me up. It’s an effect they put on his live vocals and it’s literally like 3 seconds of the entire show. Get a grip people!
    Absolutely. Everyone who can’t stand DMB 4.0 and can’t walk away will always find something to complain about. I like this show and choice. But It shouldn’t have primarily been a vinyl release.
    RSSR is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-06-2020, 08:09 PM   #704
    Gjimmy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Absolutely. Everyone who can’t stand DMB 4.0 and can’t walk away will always find something to complain about. I like this show and choice. But It shouldn’t have primarily been a vinyl release.
    And I will definitely agree the price point for this vinyl release was crazy. Instead they should have made it a Live Trax.

Hopefully they will put out the 07 Hollywood Bowl show at some point.
    Old 07-07-2020, 03:46 AM   #705
    Utopia
    Minutes and hours

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Had I seen the link when it was cheap, I probably would’ve snagged it. I went to a couple vinyl stores in Denver/Seattle over the past few months and it’s amazing how many of these are just lying around. Definitely not worth the $110+ price tag they’re trying to get.
    Old 07-07-2020, 05:11 AM   #706
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They did not put this effect on "live". The tape is available and the effect is not present. It was added into the mix for this release.

Quote:
    I think you're misconstruing the complaints. The complaints are primarily directed at the bold. It made no sense as a vinyl release, many of us noted this at the announcement, and we knew it wouldn't sell well.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:57 AM   #707
    LaLaLaLaHey

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They did not put this effect on "live". The tape is available and the effect is not present. It was added into the mix for this release.

I think you're misconstruing the complaints. The complaints are primarily directed at the bold. It made no sense as a vinyl release, many of us noted this at the announcement, and we knew it wouldn't sell well.
    I think I have a unique situation because this set was the first vinyl I owned (got a record player last holiday season) and it was a show I attended, so I’m thrilled with it. But I can see why it doesn’t have much appeal as a vinyl release in general.

In regards to Squirm, it is very likely a vocal effect they put on the vocals he sang live (doesn’t mean the effect went out of the house - I mean they took the recorded audio while mixing and put that snippet through a few different plugins to give it the sound like the studio album). I don’t think it’s an overdub - doesn’t sound exactly like the studio version. Not sure why it’s such an issue for people - I don’t think it detracts at all.
    Old 07-07-2020, 12:05 PM   #708
    Gjimmy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I didn't mean they did the effect "live" I meant they effected his "live" vocals. What a lot of people said they did was take the studio vocals and cut them into the live version, which is not sure. They took his vocal track and added the EQ effect to those few lines to mimic the studio sound.

I totally get the argument that the vinyl release was overpriced, and that packaging and fanfare was probably better suited for a cooler, older show. But people complaining about tiny things like the Squirm vocals are pretty silly. I am sure there is a lot of other editing and fixes going into all these live releases that you don't even notice.

The beginning of Bartender on Live at Folsom is edited and people aren't complaining about that....(or maybe they are)....
    Old 07-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #709
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaLaLaLaHey View Post
    Not sure why it’s such an issue for people - I don’t think it detracts at all.
    Personally, Squirm was the one track I was looking forward to most, and the fact that they felt the need to tweak it like that was just offputting. When the set is so lack luster, and the one track you're actually really eager to hear doesn't live up to expectations, it's a bummer. Just my input.

Quote:
    I didn't mean they did the effect "live" I meant they effected his "live" vocals. What a lot of people said they did was take the studio vocals and cut them into the live version, which is not sure. They took his vocal track and added the EQ effect to those few lines to mimic the studio sound.
    Ah, gotcha - understand what you meant now

Quote:
    I totally get the argument that the vinyl release was overpriced, and that packaging and fanfare was probably better suited for a cooler, older show.
    It's a mix of confusion over "why this show", and frustration of some things going on in the back-end/lack of delivery on other anticipated vinyl releases. I also think there's an element of record shops feeling burnt by DMB/management over this one. They paid marked-up costs to get it for RSD, it was then delayed and the band was selling the exact same variant on their site that these stores were now left holding after their second biggest sales day of the year - and they're taking a bath on them if they want to move the inventory. I know a couple of shops who are basically refusing to order DMB titles for upcoming RSDs going forward after this one.

I'm at least glad LT35 made it to the gate.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #710
    Gjimmy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's a mix of confusion over "why this show", and frustration of some things going on in the back-end/lack of delivery on other anticipated vinyl releases. I also think there's an element of record shops feeling burnt by DMB/management over this one. They paid marked-up costs to get it for RSD, it was then delayed and the band was selling the exact same variant on their site that these stores were now left holding after their second biggest sales day of the year - and they're taking a bath on them if they want to move the inventory. I know a couple of shops who are basically refusing to order DMB titles for upcoming RSDs going forward after this one.
    Yeah I agree with that. I am still waiting for the "20th" anniversary release of BTCS! What is up with that?!
    Old 07-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #711
    kenticus

My Tour Central Stats

Again and again, ants marching, here on out, and samurai cop are all honorable takes on these tunes by current band, albeit with the keys hyper cranked in the mix the whole time. Tim is well mixed for once - unless he’s soloing, he’s more equally setup in the mix.

My thing is just overall lackluster setlist and how they made such a big deal and priced it so damn high - in a way it’s wise on their part - not a very great performance overall so most people won’t front all the money for it!
    kenticus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2020, 01:39 PM   #712
    #34Stickyfinger

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenticus View Post
    Again and again, ants marching, here on out, and samurai cop are all honorable takes on these tunes by current band, albeit with the keys hyper cranked in the mix the whole time. Tim is well mixed for once - unless he’s soloing, he’s more equally setup in the mix.

My thing is just overall lackluster setlist and how they made such a big deal and priced it so damn high - in a way it’s wise on their part - not a very great performance overall so most people won’t front all the money for it!
    I got it for less than 50 a couple months ago. Thought it was worth it. I have the CD and vinyl now. I think it's definitely worth it for anything under $50 if you like vinyl and collect DMB stuff. I don't think it's the absolute best set from 2018, but it has some great performances on it. The squirm thing is way over talked about. You're not going to listen to an entire show because "Drums beat louder" is overdubbed? Really? It's not a detractor at all. Silly, but not like a boyd solo being overdubbed for an entire jam or anything. Also I think it's solid 8/10 for the 2018 tour. If you don't like that sound, you won't like this. But if you do, I think it's a well mixed, well produced, solid show from the band that I have listened to 5-7 times since I bought it and really enjoyed it
    #34Stickyfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2020, 03:12 PM   #713
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by #34Stickyfinger View Post
    The squirm thing is way over talked about. You're not going to listen to an entire show becausit
    I think you got it backwards - some were only interested in listening to the show for Squirm + Orchestra.

Some may like the show, but the sales speak for themselves - releasing this as a vinyl boxset was a commercial failure.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:18 PM   #714
    #34Stickyfinger

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think you got it backwards - some were only interested in listening to the show for Squirm + Orchestra.

Some may like the show, but the sales speak for themselves - releasing this as a vinyl boxset was a commercial failure.
    If you’re going to pay 100 dollars to listen to one song you are fucked in the head and no orchestra or mix is going to help you. No one bought this to listen to squirm. No dmb fan buys anything to because “oh cool they played squirm”.

Last edited by #34Stickyfinger; 07-07-2020 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Fucked in the head didn’t come through strong enough and spelling
    #34Stickyfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2020, 04:38 AM   #715
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you’re going to pay 100 dollars to listen to one song you are fucked in the head and no orchestra or mix is going to help you. No one bought this to listen to squirm. No dmb fan buys anything to because “oh cool they played squirm”.
    I have every piece of DMB-released vinyl, including color variants and standard black versions, I am very well aware that I am fucked in the head

Old 07-08-2020, 04:51 AM   #716
    haiku.warrior
    the slow hand quickens

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i may or may not have bought it for the same reasons you listed
    in my defense, it was worth it to me. great mix, stefan's a beast.
    I showed my therapist a Rashawn solo and she said his screeching high notes are his little way of getting attention and may be compensating for other shortcomings, such as lack of taste.
    haiku.warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2020, 07:29 AM   #717
    dmbclstj2

Shows Seen: 80

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah for $30 bucks, it was a no brainer to grab this one, even if its only listened to 3 to 4 times. I've spent hundreds on tickets to pretty shitty shows before. That is how I justify it haha
    dmbclstj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2020, 08:17 AM   #718
    SeekUpTheCubs
    DMBallwasher

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

I was at this show. Had a blast. I love this release. Have a blast listening to it.
    Old 07-26-2020, 09:27 AM   #719
    haiku.warrior
    the slow hand quickens

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone else's copy have like a hollow echoing for a few seconds after every song? It sounds like it might be Tim if it's actually in the release but I wonder if it's just my copy or if it's something with my setup.
    I showed my therapist a Rashawn solo and she said his screeching high notes are his little way of getting attention and may be compensating for other shortcomings, such as lack of taste.
    haiku.warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #720
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I am late of about 2 years, like everything in my life.
    From what I have understood:
    - some people say this show is not so good, well it is pretty bad indeed.
    - some people say this show is an excellent one, and love the orchestra.

- it is impossible to get a digital download
    - actually is possible but first you have to pay 100 dollars for 5 vinils that I would not know how to play.

Maybe there is still a little hope though.
    Anybody had a archive with the MP3 to share? I know it is not orthodox, but this time I feel unfair to pay that money, and I’d like to listen to this album.

Thanks to anyone that can help me

LD
    Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote