DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #61
grilldanmo
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 4,537

Shows Seen: 31

Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedavis003 View Post
Does the person who inducts them have to be in the HOF? If not, maybe Warren Haynes if they were to get it
Nope. Dave, Tom Morello, Tom Petty, the guy from the Killers, Veeder (for Tom Petty), and others have inducted. Most of them still aren't in...
grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #62
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.
     
    RSSR's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2007
    Posts: 6,611

    Shows Seen: 9

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    I think it should be John Mayer that inducts them.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #63
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!
     
    dmbolp's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2002
    Location: Atlanta, GA
    Posts: 8,665

    Shows Seen: 129

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgedavis003 View Post
    Does the person who inducts them have to be in the HOF? If not, maybe Warren Haynes if they were to get it
    NO, past two years Howard Stern inducted Bon Jovi, David Letterman inducted Pearl Jam
    __________________
    - Peter
    dmbolp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #64
    sheldonlevene
    Mr. 1k
     
    sheldonlevene's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2009
    Posts: 19,680

    Shows Seen: 33

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    I think it should be John Mayer that inducts them.
    This would also be good.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simplelife08 View Post
    our sexual interactions are incredibly clean-almost in a clinical sense. No emotion, minimal ejaculate, always just me
    sheldonlevene is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #65
    georgedavis003
     
    Join Date: Nov 2017
    Location: Alabama + New Jersey
    Posts: 788

    Shows Seen: 3

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
    NO, past two years Howard Stern inducted Bon Jovi, David Letterman inducted Pearl Jam
    Stupid me. I remember watching the Letterman speech for PJ now, incredible. I can definitely see Warren Haynes doing it though
    georgedavis003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2019, 03:34 PM   #66
    snow1868
    Party in the back!
     
    snow1868's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Location: Ocoee, FL
    Posts: 33,770

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    It'll be Adam Sandler and he'll be wearing Dave's jacket. Also, with those other bands listed I don't see them making it this year.
    __________________
    Ryan
    Go Pokes! Go Royals! Go Chiefs!

    Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2019, 03:38 PM   #67
    WidespreadMule3
     
    WidespreadMule3's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: With Waldo
    Posts: 12,824

    Shows Seen: 25

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    It'll be Adam Sandler and he'll be wearing Dave's jacket. Also, with those other bands listed I don't see them making it this year.
    This. The amount of quality bands that deserve to be in on that list is too high. Way too many influencers.

    DMB deserves to be in but not with this class.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
    ... for tomorrow we die; CHECK EM OUT, HILARY!!!
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #68
    grilldanmo
     
    Join Date: Feb 2018
    Posts: 4,537

    Shows Seen: 31

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    I think we conflate being influential with being good way too often. Most of the best bands/artists are so idiosyncratic as to be inimitable. The Beatles, Bob Marley, Stevie Wonder, David Bowie, the Band, The Dead, Joni Mitchell, Peter Gabriel, Yes, etc. DMB is in this class and league, but they are among the first bands to have an ire/dislike based on the perception of who their fans are as opposed to the quality of the music. Combining their uniqueness and the myopic and juvenile justification for not liking them and they may have a long road before getting in the HoF.

    That said, it's generally great company, but of so little importance. Werner and crew can only push back for so long against those they've deemed unworthy, but that very perception makes the Hall unworthy of its perceived weight/importance. Musicians, producers, engineers, and other folks w/in the music industry know how good these guys truly are. Current cultural relevance may be the lowest watermark to attain...it is fleeting at best. Rant, rave, blah, blah, blah...
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #69
    LeftyDv
     
    LeftyDv's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2002
    Location: Colorado
    Posts: 1,214

    Shows Seen: 75
    Send a message via AIM to LeftyDv

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgedavis003 View Post
    Does the person who inducts them have to be in the HOF? If not, maybe Warren Haynes if they were to get it
    Artists can ask who they want to induct them. Jon Bon Jovi asked Howard Stern to do it. Pearl Jam asked Neil Young to do it, who fell ill, resulting in Letterman's fantastic speech (he is a close friend to Vedder). At any rate, I would think that Dave would have the option as to who reads the speech that inducts them. If he has no preference, then the Rock Hall would decide.
    __________________
    My Shows
    Twitter
    LeftyDv is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #70
    coldengrey12
    St. Vincent Forever
     
    coldengrey12's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2003
    Location: Bay Area
    Posts: 37,323

    Shows Seen: 71

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    I think it should be John Mayer that inducts them.
    This would be OK, but ...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    It'll be Adam Sandler and he'll be wearing Dave's jacket. Also, with those other bands listed I don't see them making it this year.
    I'm pretty sure this is what will happen
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2019, 06:33 PM   #71
    drop2d
     
    drop2d's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: NH
    Posts: 26,550

    Shows Seen: 32

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    I think we conflate being influential with being good way too often. Most of the best bands/artists are so idiosyncratic as to be inimitable. The Beatles, Bob Marley, Stevie Wonder, David Bowie, the Band, The Dead, Joni Mitchell, Peter Gabriel, Yes, etc. DMB is in this class and league, but they are among the first bands to have an ire/dislike based on the perception of who their fans are as opposed to the quality of the music. Combining their uniqueness and the myopic and juvenile justification for not liking them and they may have a long road before getting in the HoF.

    That said, it's generally great company, but of so little importance. Werner and crew can only push back for so long against those they've deemed unworthy, but that very perception makes the Hall unworthy of its perceived weight/importance. Musicians, producers, engineers, and other folks w/in the music industry know how good these guys truly are. Current cultural relevance may be the lowest watermark to attain...it is fleeting at best. Rant, rave, blah, blah, blah...
    This is ants bro... one of these words/phrases per post is more than enough
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonzo48280 View Post
    I'd rather be wearing an American Flag T-shirt blasting Foreigner through a boombox in Pyongyang than ever set foot in St Louis ever again.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2019, 10:29 PM   #72
    podiumboy
     
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Location: Ohio
    Posts: 1,042

    Shows Seen: 17

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    I don't believe DMB will get in THIS TIME. They should, but they won't.

    So whatever... DMB will just hit the road in 2020 and sell more tickets and make more money than everybody else on that list combined.
    podiumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2019, 11:05 PM   #73
    SoCalDMBLover
     
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Posts: 480

    Shows Seen: 38

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Trying to be realistic here. I don't see them making it in their 1st year of nomination. I saw a prediction site which listed by year when each act becomes eligible, and for DMB, they predicted something like 2027 before they're put in. Now I don't necessarily see it taking that long, but I also can't see it happening in their 1st shot.....or even their 2nd or 3rd. But it is good, and they will get in eventually.
    SoCalDMBLover is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2019, 11:35 PM   #74
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands
     
    Cptn. Monkeyman's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2017
    Posts: 4,731

    Shows Seen: 29

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Kraftwerk
    DMB
    Soundgarden
    Whitney Houston
    Biggie
    Cptn. Monkeyman is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2019, 11:53 PM   #75
    aggiekjw
     
    Join Date: Apr 2003
    Location: New Haven, CT
    Posts: 560

    Shows Seen: 43

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    They are bound to get in on the first nomination. Their career has been so good and unique that I think you could say there will never be another band like DMB. One note, their best albums are timeless. Voters not familiar with their music may be pleasantly surprised when they explore their music before voting.
    aggiekjw is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2019, 12:10 AM   #76
    clintmwells
     
    Join Date: Sep 2018
    Location: Nashville, TN
    Posts: 21

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Gets in ... follows NIN and Soundgarden with You & Me
    Laughed out loud.
    clintmwells is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2019, 01:06 AM   #77
    ToySoldier#34
     
    ToySoldier#34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 39,215

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    I think it should be John Mayer that inducts them.

    Should be Copperpot
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #78
    SeekNancyUp
    Answer is always yes...
     
    SeekNancyUp's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2013
    Location: Libertyville, IL
    Posts: 697

    Shows Seen: 63

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    So does everyone plan on voting everyday?
    SeekNancyUp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #79
    WidespreadMule3
     
    WidespreadMule3's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: With Waldo
    Posts: 12,824

    Shows Seen: 25

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeekNancyUp View Post
    So does everyone plan on voting everyday?
    No because that's what the fAmIlY is for.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
    ... for tomorrow we die; CHECK EM OUT, HILARY!!!
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #80
    snow1868
    Party in the back!
     
    snow1868's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Location: Ocoee, FL
    Posts: 33,770

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeekNancyUp View Post
    So does everyone plan on voting everyday?
    Nah......
    __________________
    Ryan
    Go Pokes! Go Royals! Go Chiefs!

    Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #81
    SeekNancyUp
    Answer is always yes...
     
    SeekNancyUp's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2013
    Location: Libertyville, IL
    Posts: 697

    Shows Seen: 63

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    No because that's what the fAmIlY is for.
    That's a pretty shitty reason and and the fact that you're posting on a Dave Matthews Band forum. Wow.
    SeekNancyUp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2019, 10:43 AM   #82
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!
     
    hailtopitt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: pittsburgh
    Posts: 56,771

    Shows Seen: 44

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeekNancyUp View Post
    That's a pretty shitty reason and and the fact that you're posting on a Dave Matthews Band forum. Wow.
    lol im pretty sure he was being tongue-in-cheek

    plus fan vote barely counts towards the ballot anyway
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    realizing that you go from doing everything for them, to some day doing almost nothing...
    hailtopitt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #83
    SeekNancyUp
    Answer is always yes...
     
    SeekNancyUp's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2013
    Location: Libertyville, IL
    Posts: 697

    Shows Seen: 63

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hailtopitt View Post
    lol im pretty sure he was being tongue-in-cheek

    plus fan vote barely counts towards the ballot anyway
    I guess I missed it... it's hard to tell sometimes with how people can get on ants.

    I know it barely counts, but i'm interested to see how our fan base responds to the voting process... The first thing RRHOF says about DMB is the fan base.


    "SUPPORTED BY A COMMUNAL FANBASE, DAVE MATTHEWS BAND HARNESSED AN ECLECTIC SOUND AND RELENTLESS TOURING SCHEDULE TO BECOME ONE OF THE BIGGEST BANDS IN THE WORLD AND CONTINUE TO PICK UP NEW GENERATIONS OF FANS ALONG THE WAY.

    What would it say about the band and the fanbase if the vote turnout is shit? I think this is a worthy conversation. Bon Jovi's fan voted 1.16M times. And FYI i'm not on Facebook or part of the family.
    SeekNancyUp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #84
    dmbfan4ever
    IamwhoiamwhoamI
     
    Join Date: Aug 2003
    Location: Turn Around
    Posts: 6,730

    Shows Seen: 84

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Looks like the top 5 fan-voted bands get credit. Right now DMB is in 6th behind Judas Priest and ahead of Whitney by like 4 votes. They have about 49K so far.
    __________________
    I hate my screen name, though it's true.
    dmbfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #85
    TimHonks
     
    Join Date: Apr 2015
    Posts: 4,449

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    I'll vote regularly. Certainly won't be every day, but I will on days I visit Ants because it will remind me to do so. I'm not part of the super-cool crowd that spends all day on Ants but is too cool to support them.
    TimHonks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #86
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!
     
    hailtopitt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: pittsburgh
    Posts: 56,771

    Shows Seen: 44

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    i think the DMB fanbase is well documented, regardless of how the HoF online ballot turns out

    who cares what Bon Jovi or Judas Priest got?
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    realizing that you go from doing everything for them, to some day doing almost nothing...
    hailtopitt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2019, 11:18 AM   #87
    snow1868
    Party in the back!
     
    snow1868's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Location: Ocoee, FL
    Posts: 33,770

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    I didn't realize that because I post on Ants I'm obligated to vote for something I don't care about.
    __________________
    Ryan
    Go Pokes! Go Royals! Go Chiefs!

    Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #88
    SeekNancyUp
    Answer is always yes...
     
    SeekNancyUp's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2013
    Location: Libertyville, IL
    Posts: 697

    Shows Seen: 63

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hailtopitt View Post
    i think the DMB fanbase is well documented, regardless of how the HoF online ballot turns out

    who cares what Bon Jovi or Judas Priest got?
    I don't care about what they got. What I said before is "i'm interested to see how our fan base responds to the voting process" and I think it's a "worthy conversation"...

    I'm surprised Pat Benatar is leading the voting.
    SeekNancyUp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #89
    SeekNancyUp
    Answer is always yes...
     
    SeekNancyUp's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2013
    Location: Libertyville, IL
    Posts: 697

    Shows Seen: 63

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    I didn't realize that because I post on Ants I'm obligated to vote for something I don't care about.
    Who said you were obligated?
    SeekNancyUp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #90
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable
     
    dontdrink36's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Posts: 29,247

    Shows Seen: 45

    Re: DMB Is Finallst for R&R HOF

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeekNancyUp View Post
    I guess I missed it... it's hard to tell sometimes with how people can get on ants.

    I know it barely counts, but i'm interested to see how our fan base responds to the voting process... The first thing RRHOF says about DMB is the fan base.


    "SUPPORTED BY A COMMUNAL FANBASE, DAVE MATTHEWS BAND HARNESSED AN ECLECTIC SOUND AND RELENTLESS TOURING SCHEDULE TO BECOME ONE OF THE BIGGEST BANDS IN THE WORLD – AND CONTINUE TO PICK UP NEW GENERATIONS OF FANS ALONG THE WAY.

    What would it say about the band and the fanbase if the vote turnout is shit? I think this is a worthy conversation. Bon Jovi's fan voted 1.16M times. And FYI i'm not on Facebook or part of the family.
    I don't think it says anything about the fan base or the band if we don't vote. I'll watch their induction when they get in but I don't care if they ever do. The band doesn't need it for validation of any kind and the fans shouldn't either. By any objective measure DMB is one of the biggest musical acts of their generation and of all time. Their stats and catalog hold up to pretty much any level of scrutiny. Who cares if some writers or board members or whoever actually votes can't see that?

    It's like sports HoF. Ken Griffey Jr didn't get 100% of the votes. The 3 people who didn't vote for him should be banned from voting. He is objectively an all time great. Same goes for countless other players. I'm sure the same can be said for the RRHOF. DMB deserves to be in there as much as anyone else who is in there. They check all the boxes. Anyone suggesting otherwise is a hater/troll.
    dontdrink36 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:16 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram