Carters drum sticks - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2019, 02:13 AM   #31
spoot388
 
spoot388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Scranton, Pa
Posts: 26,837

Shows Seen: 70
Send a message via AIM to spoot388

Re: Carters drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post
I've never understood why the stick thing is such a big deal. OK he held it and maybe recognized someone in front row or 2, that I can understand.... But otherwise you can buy these at your local guitar center or anywhere online lol. No sense in the fighting some people do over these.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk



used sticks are cool. its like getting a foul ball at a baseball game. it was part of the concert/game. i got 2 used sticks and they're pretty sweet. all beat to hell. the sticks that he takes out of the box just to throw? i don't see what the big deal about those is. you can just buy them online, just like an unused official MLB ball.
__________________
-Jason
spoot388 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-31-2019, 11:41 AM   #32
    CrazyEasy354
     
    CrazyEasy354's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2017
    Posts: 773

    Shows Seen: 15

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pbroderi86 View Post
    Anyone think Carter may be mad the way things went down with the sock bandit?


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post
    As much as I'd love this, Carter just isn't into this stuff. When he's not on stage, you really wouldn't even realize he's a drummer. He really doesn't like all the drum spotlight outside of dmb. I honestly don't think he really even knows that much about gear and could possibly be intimidated by other gear enthusiasts. He can just play better than anyone I've ever seen and that's his thing.

    He hardly ever knows what he's gonna be playing each night. Only makes requests to Henry if he wants something changed. He's well taken care of so he gets to do his own thing most of the time.

    Heck Yamaha couldn't even get him a signature snare the 3 years they were testing his prototype out lol

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I really have a hard time believing that a drummer as skilled as Carter is not very in-tune with his choice in gear.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1JW View Post
    He is old and exhausted after a show. Just wants to get off stage and chill. That's my take.
    This is all it is folks.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post
    Yeah his style of drumming definitely takes a toll on him. He's got a huge fan behind him and even then it's still exhausting. He'll be the reason they hang it up I believe.

    You can already tell he's taken his extreme drumming down a notch in 2018 from the levels he was playing in 16. Much more reserved for Carter. He's still the best!

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Bingo! This is why he doesn't seem as upbeat while playing as he usually does. At his age, playing the way he does, year after year, he's just gotta focus a little more to get the job done. Still the best, no doubt.

    And I agree, he will absolutely be the reason "DMB" hangs it up. Which I'm cool with. I'll happily take D&T or some form of Dave & Friends.
    __________________
    2019 Shows: Camden x2, Mansfield
    CrazyEasy354 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2019, 11:45 AM   #33
    aparker507
     
    aparker507's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Arkansas
    Posts: 3,823

    Shows Seen: 3
    Send a message via AIM to aparker507 Send a message via Yahoo to aparker507

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrazyEasy354 View Post








    I really have a hard time believing that a drummer as skilled as Carter is not very in-tune with his choice in gear.







    This is all it is folks.







    Bingo! This is why he doesn't seem as upbeat while playing as he usually does. At his age, playing the way he does, year after year, he's just gotta focus a little more to get the job done. Still the best, no doubt.



    And I agree, he will absolutely be the reason "DMB" hangs it up. Which I'm cool with. I'll happily take D&T or some form of Dave & Friends.
    It's true. He trusts his tech so much that he really a lot of times literally shows up and plays. Henry is behind most everything on the kit.

    Now sure he knows he plays Yamaha recording custom drums and zildjian cymbals. But unless he requests something specific be changed, Henry changes everything himself to keep it fresh for Carter. He shows up and plays and it stays if he likes it. That's just how well Henry knows the kit and what Carter wants.

    I honestly don't know too many drummers like that, but I really just think he's a skilled player and doesn't care much or think about the gear side.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    __________________
    03: 7.13 05: 9.3 06: 8.19 07: 9.22 08: 8.2, 8.16 09: 4.25., 5.2, 9.29 10: 9.11, 11.16 12: 5.19 13: 4.27 14: 5.17 15: 5.19, 7.31, 8.1
    aparker507 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #34
    Bmwm3oz
     
    Bmwm3oz's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: Seattle, WA
    Posts: 8,248

    Shows Seen: 43

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post
    It's true. He trusts his tech so much that he really a lot of times literally shows up and plays. Henry is behind most everything on the kit.

    Now sure he knows he plays Yamaha recording custom drums and zildjian cymbals. But unless he requests something specific be changed, Henry changes everything himself to keep it fresh for Carter. He shows up and plays and it stays if he likes it. That's just how well Henry knows the kit and what Carter wants.

    I honestly don't know too many drummers like that, but I really just think he's a skilled player and doesn't care much or think about the gear side.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

    This. I think when you're really good, you can just show up and figure out how to play with what's in front of you (finding sound in POS cymbal, for example). Carter is also a unique drummer in that he is essentially a master percussionist. People who know percussion can drum on anything.
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2019, 01:37 PM   #35
    SeeMoreDMB
     
    Join Date: Sep 2016
    Posts: 501

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    Lol at the people who thing Carter doesn't know much/care about his gear. There are several videos of him throughout the years discussing his goal of upgrading to Recording Customs, why he uses a Pheonix bass, which cymbols he prefers, why he started wearing gloves, and why he decided to switch from Pro Mark to Vic Firth (which is an obvious choice that I'm surprised took so long). Just because his drum tech of almost 30 years makes certain choices on the kit for him doesn't mean he lacks extensive knowledge of all types of gear.
    SeeMoreDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2019, 01:51 PM   #36
    aparker507
     
    aparker507's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Arkansas
    Posts: 3,823

    Shows Seen: 3
    Send a message via AIM to aparker507 Send a message via Yahoo to aparker507

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeeMoreDMB View Post
    Lol at the people who thing Carter doesn't know much/care about his gear. There are several videos of him throughout the years discussing his goal of upgrading to Recording Customs, why he uses a Pheonix bass, which cymbols he prefers, why he started wearing gloves, and why he decided to switch from Pro Mark to Vic Firth (which is an obvious choice that I'm surprised took so long). Just because his drum tech of almost 30 years makes certain choices on the kit for him doesn't mean he lacks extensive knowledge of all types of gear.
    I'm not saying he doesn't know at all, but it's fairly obvious he doesn't care as much as other drummers. He rarely ever does clinics and there's a few videos of him talking about gear, but not many. The most I can remember is the old 2001 video where he's on the kit showing a few things, the most recent Modern Drummer video, and Vic Firth videos.

    The switch to Vic Firth I believe is because they joined with Zildjian in 2010 or 2011 but that's not 100%. Of course they'd get Carter to make a video on how much better Vic sticks are. Marketing lol.

    He does prefer the yellow grip sticks vs the way they make them without it now, as do I. Apparently customers wanted his sticks without the grip. You can only get the grip sticks now at dmb shows or directly through dmband store, where they're quite a bit more expensive. Like I said he does of course know gear, but he's not a gear nerd like some guys. Henry literally doesn't see Carter most days until show time or right before.

    Yamaha couldn't get Carter a signature snare made because apparently they couldn't get it right and couldn't get much input from what I've heard. He toured with it from 05 to 08.

    They wanted him to do another drumming DVD like under the table and drumming in 2011 and he didn't want to, so they just scrapped the idea.

    The one change I will never understand and it's one Carter requested himself, was adding the 2nd double splash stack and removing his 15" crash. You can't hear those cymbals through Tim and the horns, plus he hardly ever even touches them.

    Just more interesting than anything to me. The dude is an absolute beast and I just think he focuses more on playing than gear is all. Yamaha and Zildjian he of course knows, and I'm sure he has a good idea of his kit and what all is there. He knows he has the best equipment. It's more than likely small things that I'm talking about.



    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    __________________
    03: 7.13 05: 9.3 06: 8.19 07: 9.22 08: 8.2, 8.16 09: 4.25., 5.2, 9.29 10: 9.11, 11.16 12: 5.19 13: 4.27 14: 5.17 15: 5.19, 7.31, 8.1
    aparker507 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2019, 02:01 PM   #37
    aparker507
     
    aparker507's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Arkansas
    Posts: 3,823

    Shows Seen: 3
    Send a message via AIM to aparker507 Send a message via Yahoo to aparker507

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeeMoreDMB View Post
    Lol at the people who thing Carter doesn't know much/care about his gear. There are several videos of him throughout the years discussing his goal of upgrading to Recording Customs, why he uses a Pheonix bass, which cymbols he prefers, why he started wearing gloves, and why he decided to switch from Pro Mark to Vic Firth (which is an obvious choice that I'm surprised took so long). Just because his drum tech of almost 30 years makes certain choices on the kit for him doesn't mean he lacks extensive knowledge of all types of gear.
    And where's the PHX kick comment? I'd love to read that one.

    They've moved to the new recording custom kick now and apparently it beats the Phoenix.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    __________________
    03: 7.13 05: 9.3 06: 8.19 07: 9.22 08: 8.2, 8.16 09: 4.25., 5.2, 9.29 10: 9.11, 11.16 12: 5.19 13: 4.27 14: 5.17 15: 5.19, 7.31, 8.1
    aparker507 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2019, 02:24 PM   #38
    CrazyEasy354
     
    CrazyEasy354's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2017
    Posts: 773

    Shows Seen: 15

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post
    Yamaha couldn't get Carter a signature snare made because apparently they couldn't get it right and couldn't get much input from what I've heard. He toured with it from 05 to 08.
    I'm not a drummer, but I'm a serious musician, and goddamn, that snare would have sold out the wahzoo. Bummer for drummers out there.
    __________________
    2019 Shows: Camden x2, Mansfield
    CrazyEasy354 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2019, 02:26 PM   #39
    aparker507
     
    aparker507's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Arkansas
    Posts: 3,823

    Shows Seen: 3
    Send a message via AIM to aparker507 Send a message via Yahoo to aparker507

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrazyEasy354 View Post
    I'm not a drummer, but I'm a serious musician, and goddamn, that snare would have sold out the wahzoo. Bummer for drummers out there.
    I was saving my pennies for that thing. Need to ask where that prototype is lol.

    I think they had almost got to the color of the drum and that was the last I heard. Pretty sure it was gonna be a brass shell.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    __________________
    03: 7.13 05: 9.3 06: 8.19 07: 9.22 08: 8.2, 8.16 09: 4.25., 5.2, 9.29 10: 9.11, 11.16 12: 5.19 13: 4.27 14: 5.17 15: 5.19, 7.31, 8.1
    aparker507 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2019, 03:28 PM   #40
    SeeMoreDMB
     
    Join Date: Sep 2016
    Posts: 501

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post
    I'm not saying he doesn't know at all, but it's fairly obvious he doesn't care as much as other drummers. He rarely ever does clinics and there's a few videos of him talking about gear, but not many. The most I can remember is the old 2001 video where he's on the kit showing a few things, the most recent Modern Drummer video, and Vic Firth videos.

    The switch to Vic Firth I believe is because they joined with Zildjian in 2010 or 2011 but that's not 100%. Of course they'd get Carter to make a video on how much better Vic sticks are. Marketing lol.

    He does prefer the yellow grip sticks vs the way they make them without it now, as do I. Apparently customers wanted his sticks without the grip. You can only get the grip sticks now at dmb shows or directly through dmband store, where they're quite a bit more expensive. Like I said he does of course know gear, but he's not a gear nerd like some guys. Henry literally doesn't see Carter most days until show time or right before.

    Yamaha couldn't get Carter a signature snare made because apparently they couldn't get it right and couldn't get much input from what I've heard. He toured with it from 05 to 08.

    They wanted him to do another drumming DVD like under the table and drumming in 2011 and he didn't want to, so they just scrapped the idea.

    The one change I will never understand and it's one Carter requested himself, was adding the 2nd double splash stack and removing his 15" crash. You can't hear those cymbals through Tim and the horns, plus he hardly ever even touches them.

    Just more interesting than anything to me. The dude is an absolute beast and I just think he focuses more on playing than gear is all. Yamaha and Zildjian he of course knows, and I'm sure he has a good idea of his kit and what all is there. He knows he has the best equipment. It's more than likely small things that I'm talking about.



    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Well there's a lot of great point there I can't argue with. He's def the type of drummer that can make even a shitty kit sound great, like back in the day when he had cracked cymbols. I've always felt that Vic Firth sticks are Superior to Pro Mark, but that's just my opinion. When did he make the switch to the Recording Custom kick? Always thought the PHX sounded great, so much slap and boom.
    SeeMoreDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2019, 03:31 PM   #41
    aparker507
     
    aparker507's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Arkansas
    Posts: 3,823

    Shows Seen: 3
    Send a message via AIM to aparker507 Send a message via Yahoo to aparker507

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeeMoreDMB View Post
    Well there's a lot of great point there I can't argue with. He's def the type of drummer that can make even a shitty kit sound great, like back in the day when he had cracked cymbols. I've always felt that Vic Firth sticks are Superior to Pro Mark, but that's just my opinion. When did he make the switch to the Recording Custom kick? Always thought the PHX sounded great, so much slap and boom.
    Totally agree on the Vic Firth sticks. So good!

    2016 when the new recording customs debuted is when they swapped. Henry apologized to me as I had a red/black kick at the time. He knew I'd be switching lol.

    Apparently the new ones are extremely deep, easy to tune, and just are easier to work with and tune now. It's a small 20x16 too. I think they've went down in size so Carter could lower everything on the kit and not have to work so hard.

    I was always amazed at how far into outer space his cymbals used to be. Like what? Lol

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    __________________
    03: 7.13 05: 9.3 06: 8.19 07: 9.22 08: 8.2, 8.16 09: 4.25., 5.2, 9.29 10: 9.11, 11.16 12: 5.19 13: 4.27 14: 5.17 15: 5.19, 7.31, 8.1
    aparker507 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2019, 04:09 PM   #42
    SeeMoreDMB
     
    Join Date: Sep 2016
    Posts: 501

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post
    Totally agree on the Vic Firth sticks. So good!

    2016 when the new recording customs debuted is when they swapped. Henry apologized to me as I had a red/black kick at the time. He knew I'd be switching lol.

    Apparently the new ones are extremely deep, easy to tune, and just are easier to work with and tune now. It's a small 20x16 too. I think they've went down in size so Carter could lower everything on the kit and not have to work so hard.

    I was always amazed at how far into outer space his cymbals used to be. Like what? Lol

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    The height on his rack toms used to be crazy as well, especially from the Woodstock video. I don't know how he didn't break sticks on the rims all the time. His kick boomed this past summer so I believe it when you say it's supposedly a deeper sounding drum. Appreciate the insight!
    SeeMoreDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2019, 04:15 PM   #43
    aparker507
     
    aparker507's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Arkansas
    Posts: 3,823

    Shows Seen: 3
    Send a message via AIM to aparker507 Send a message via Yahoo to aparker507

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeeMoreDMB View Post
    The height on his rack toms used to be crazy as well, especially from the Woodstock video. I don't know how he didn't break sticks on the rims all the time. His kick boomed this past summer so I believe it when you say it's supposedly a deeper sounding drum. Appreciate the insight!
    That double splash stack thing tho bothers me to no end lol. That 14 and then 15" crash was a staple. Now it's gone

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    __________________
    03: 7.13 05: 9.3 06: 8.19 07: 9.22 08: 8.2, 8.16 09: 4.25., 5.2, 9.29 10: 9.11, 11.16 12: 5.19 13: 4.27 14: 5.17 15: 5.19, 7.31, 8.1
    aparker507 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2019, 01:09 PM   #44
    SeeMoreDMB
     
    Join Date: Sep 2016
    Posts: 501

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post
    That double splash stack thing tho bothers me to no end lol. That 14 and then 15" crash was a staple. Now it's gone

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Does seem like a bit of an odd choice. I wonder if the cymbols used to be so far away to allow space for the windmill move he used to do with the ride, snare and China stack? It also amazes me that he breaks as many of his Vic Firth sticks as he does because those things are beefy AF.
    SeeMoreDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #45
    nikkidmb
     
    nikkidmb's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: RI
    Posts: 11,968

    Shows Seen: 30

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    Not sure if this has been said but I heard at least for the fall tour that a lot of indoor venues are very strict about throwing things. He did gently hand some out at all of the shows I was at
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay View Post
    Hopefully this becomes a chat thread someday
    nikkidmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-01-2019, 11:15 PM   #46
    recently364041
     
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Posts: 329

    Shows Seen: 35

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post
    As much as I'd love this, Carter just isn't into this stuff. When he's not on stage, you really wouldn't even realize he's a drummer. He really doesn't like all the drum spotlight outside of dmb. I honestly don't think he really even knows that much about gear and could possibly be intimidated by other gear enthusiasts. He can just play better than anyone I've ever seen and that's his thing.

    He hardly ever knows what he's gonna be playing each night. Only makes requests to Henry if he wants something changed. He's well taken care of so he gets to do his own thing most of the time.

    Heck Yamaha couldn't even get him a signature snare the 3 years they were testing his prototype out lol

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Slight insiders perspective, I would agree with this. He relies heavily on Henry for his off stage production, and Henry knows Carter better than anyone. Because of that, Henry doesn't book Carter for much "promotion" off stage. That seems cool because it allows Carter to do what he wants and doesn't want. That doesn't mean Carter is reserved or an ass to his fans, he just doesn't seem to want to be "fan facing" as much as we would all love him to be.

    I wish there was more Carter content, but we probably won't get it. All good IMO.
    recently364041 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2021, 03:51 PM   #47
    Doorzz
    Registered User
     
    Join Date: Feb 2021
    Posts: 1

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    It is unlikely that we will know the exact reason for his behavior in 2018. He alone knows why he didn't. My idol is the drummer of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Still, he's ranked 64th on Rolling Stone Magazine's list of the "100 greatest drummers of all time" and 5th on Classic Rock magazine's list of the 50 best drummers in rock. For those who don't understand, I'm talking about Chad Smith. Playing from the age of 8 is a huge achievement. Carter Beauford will also leave his mark on history. So don't wonder why he did something you don't understand.
    Doorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2021, 06:12 PM   #48
    eggsrsweet
     
    eggsrsweet's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Posts: 3,228

    Shows Seen: 36

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    What a random ass thread to bump lol... I have to say though, I think most of this has to do with the nutjob fans that populate the first few rows at most of these shows. I don't remember if it was something I read on here or something someone told me at a show, but I remember hearing about a show where Dave threw a pick out and it landed right at some guy's feet and people rushed down to grab it and the guy started stomping on people's hands to prevent them from getting it.

    Its funny too because I only see this at DMB shows. I've been to plenty of other types of shows (country, pop, hip hop, hard rock) where the artist will throw something out to the crowd and a lot of people will go for it but there's never a tussle for it.
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2021, 11:54 AM   #49
    dangarang
    Registered User
     
    Join Date: Feb 2021
    Posts: 1

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    He did at some shows. I heard something about someone being a little hoe after getting hit with a stick he tossed so he was more reserved about it this past year. Not sure if that's true or not tho. I remember going to the first Carnival of Madness tour back in 2010 and the frontman for Puddle of Mudd launched a full Coors Light can into the crowd and nailed someone. It may have been a supply issue with the stick company. I'm still amazed that he gives so many fresh pairs away every night. It's still completely incomprehensible how Chad Smith behavior at some concerts.
    dangarang is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2021, 12:17 PM   #50
    dmbetc
    Welcome back hockey!
     
    dmbetc's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2007
    Location: Los Angeles
    Posts: 33,824

    Shows Seen: 70

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dangarang View Post
    He did at some shows. I heard something about someone being a little hoe after getting hit with a stick he tossed so he was more reserved about it this past year. Not sure if that's true or not tho. I remember going to the first Carnival of Madness tour back in 2010 and the frontman for Puddle of Mudd launched a full Coors Light can into the crowd and nailed someone. It may have been a supply issue with the stick company. I'm still amazed that he gives so many fresh pairs away every night. It's still completely incomprehensible how Chad Smith behavior at some concerts.
    you report the spam post above then, clearly post the same spam?

    That was odd.
    __________________
    Sarah

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
    Go Kings Go.
    dmbetc is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2021, 04:44 PM   #51
    GraceBuckley
     
    Join Date: Jan 2016
    Posts: 399

    Shows Seen: 81

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post
    I'm not saying he doesn't know at all, but it's fairly obvious he doesn't care as much as other drummers. He rarely ever does clinics and there's a few videos of him talking about gear, but not many. The most I can remember is the old 2001 video where he's on the kit showing a few things, the most recent Modern Drummer video, and Vic Firth videos.

    The switch to Vic Firth I believe is because they joined with Zildjian in 2010 or 2011 but that's not 100%. Of course they'd get Carter to make a video on how much better Vic sticks are. Marketing lol.

    He does prefer the yellow grip sticks vs the way they make them without it now, as do I. Apparently customers wanted his sticks without the grip. You can only get the grip sticks now at dmb shows or directly through dmband store, where they're quite a bit more expensive. Like I said he does of course know gear, but he's not a gear nerd like some guys. Henry literally doesn't see Carter most days until show time or right before.

    Yamaha couldn't get Carter a signature snare made because apparently they couldn't get it right and couldn't get much input from what I've heard. He toured with it from 05 to 08.

    They wanted him to do another drumming DVD like under the table and drumming in 2011 and he didn't want to, so they just scrapped the idea.

    The one change I will never understand and it's one Carter requested himself, was adding the 2nd double splash stack and removing his 15" crash. You can't hear those cymbals through Tim and the horns, plus he hardly ever even touches them.

    Just more interesting than anything to me. The dude is an absolute beast and I just think he focuses more on playing than gear is all. Yamaha and Zildjian he of course knows, and I'm sure he has a good idea of his kit and what all is there. He knows he has the best equipment. It's more than likely small things that I'm talking about.



    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    This is an interesting perspective to me. I don't know this specific detail re: Carter's attitude to this, like how he'd answer it if asked directly about not doing more tech interviews or clinics, but I will say I know other musicians well-known and well-respected for their craft and there are a LOT of reasons some prefer to not focus on that off-stage. No one should ever assume the lack of tech-talk or activity means they don't know gear backwards and forwards, up and down.

    Because you know his tech well and have even been behind his drumset at times before a show, I'm assuming you have all kinds of perspective on Carter's reasons in particular for not doing more publicly-facing stuff, so if your impression is he's not that wrapped up in (and therefore not the best to speak publicly about) his specific gear & gear in general, I believe you.

    But it feels important to say that there are many musicians who could out-expert just about any of their peers on equipment and tech details & style, but it's just not what they want to do or who they feel like being offstage. But I pity the fool who tells them they must not know their stuff because they don't do clinics
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2021, 04:50 PM   #52
    aparker507
     
    aparker507's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Location: Arkansas
    Posts: 3,823

    Shows Seen: 3
    Send a message via AIM to aparker507 Send a message via Yahoo to aparker507

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GraceBuckley View Post
    This is an interesting perspective to me. I don't know this specific detail re: Carter's attitude to this, like how he'd answer it if asked directly about not doing more tech interviews or clinics, but I will say I know other musicians well-known and well-respected for their craft and there are a LOT of reasons some prefer to not focus on that off-stage. No one should ever assume the lack of tech-talk or activity means they don't know gear backwards and forwards, up and down.



    Because you know his tech well and have even been behind his drumset at times before a show, I'm assuming you have all kinds of perspective on Carter's reasons in particular for not doing more publicly-facing stuff, so if your impression is he's not that wrapped up in (and therefore not the best to speak publicly about) his specific gear & gear in general, I believe you.



    But it feels important to say that there are many musicians who could out-expert just about any of their peers on equipment and tech details & style, but it's just not what they want to do or who they feel like being offstage. But I pity the fool who tells them they must not know their stuff because they don't do clinics
    Maybe that was the wrong way of putting it, but he really doesn't care too much about gear selection. He could make a Walmart cardboard kit sound amazing. He basically relies on Henry 100%. He requests certain things here and there for his kit, but he's definitely not into the spotlight like others. That absolutely doesn't mean he doesn't know his gear. Moreso it seems he doesn't put much thought into it as some.

    I think it's more likely he could just like his privacy and not want to be around people much, which if so, I completely understand. I've never met him, only have a voicemail. Henry knows his drum gear to the T, and so Carter really doesn't have to think about it much.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    __________________
    03: 7.13 05: 9.3 06: 8.19 07: 9.22 08: 8.2, 8.16 09: 4.25., 5.2, 9.29 10: 9.11, 11.16 12: 5.19 13: 4.27 14: 5.17 15: 5.19, 7.31, 8.1
    aparker507 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2021, 04:53 PM   #53
    GraceBuckley
     
    Join Date: Jan 2016
    Posts: 399

    Shows Seen: 81

    Re: Carters drum sticks

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveMathews48 View Post
    One thing I do wish we would get is more Carter outside of his playing on stage. I understand why an artist may want their work and playing and to speak for themselves. If you’re not a drummer you may miss the things we notice about his musicianship and with his conversations on stage. Maybe he’s such a perfectionist it would take him more time than just turning on YouTube and hitting record for a live Q&A, talking while using a practice pad, stories growing up w Boyd n Leroi. How his playing and viewpoints changes depending who’s on stage and what the music is, playing with Secrets, John D’Earth, his work with Stefan at a young age, stories with Miguel Valdez, taking over harmony from Peter Grieser, drumming while singing, bubblegum lessons, his period with BET Jazz and almost Arsenio Hall, etc... he’s probably the most private band member now since Leroi’s passing... has Leroi ever been interviewed for Sax Magazines? Carter has maybe a dozen or so. Dave must have more than 20. Stefan has a few. Not sure about Boyd.
    This really hit me in a powerful way. Let me say that as much as I was an intense DMB fan for about 10 yrs awhile back, I've been out of the loop for better part of last 16 yrs and know almost nothing about how each band member is perceived by the general public.

    So my 1st question is, was Roi largely considered the most private band member, before he passed away? And is that true that Carter is now considered that, more so than Stefan, Dave and..... Ok, well actually, I just answered my own question and it makes sense. Dave being the singer and band namesake, of COURSE whether he likes it or not, he's going to be the subject of most interviews and most of the public focus, and the one most recognized when out and about publicly even when not at a show.

    And my guess is, Stefan being the youngest, and with his twitter presence, he's almost grown up in the band and is probably pretty comfy at this stage with his fame and with being seen as someone musicians and gear-heads want to talk to. I can see him enjoying that more than Carter or Roi.

    I guess I'm just thinking out loud but this is really making me incredibly grateful for the time I spent around them, when they were all on one tourbus between shows, hanging out with them. I felt like when I first met them Carter was one of the easiest to talk to, Stefan was quite shy-seeming, DAVE was shy-seeming too even if everyone was in his face and he was always gracious. And Roi was totally approachable, so it makes me think that because the rest of the band was SOOO used to people focusing on Dave, the fact that I walked into a room that they were all in and immediately went to anyone BUT Dave (because they all make up the band and are all super interesting to talk to), I just found Roi and Carter incredibly easy to talk to. And Stefan and Boyd actually next to Dave was most easy, didn't he used to do meets with Dave? We shall not discuss sock banditing here! So I guess it's news ot me that Roi and Carter seem most quiet, but now that I think of it I can see how that would be true.
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram