Dave Matthews Band "Drive-In" - Every Wednesday At 8! - Page 103 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #3061
dontdrink36
not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave Matthews Band "Drive-In" - Every Wednesday At 8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverford05 View Post
aww man, are the posters gone? I didn't know they were doing that or I'd snagged one. this was my first show
It's still up on the WH. I just put one in my cart.
dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-20-2020, 09:27 AM   #3062
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    aww man, are the posters gone? I didn't know they were doing that or I'd snagged one. this was my first show
    Now that you mention it, I completely forgot that I ordered one last night, but I never got a confirmation email. Credit card's been charged, though, so......
    Old 08-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #3063
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    https://davematthewsband.shop.musict...08?cp=1_108054
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2020, 10:33 AM   #3064
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

I think they might be doing a bigger run for this poster, but I have ZERO evidence to support this thought...

It also seems like a good thing to do for the fans and our obvious love for Roi.
    Old 08-20-2020, 10:40 AM   #3065
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

i didn't remember that poster; kinda ominous feel looking at it now. wild
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2020, 10:47 AM   #3066
    mjpbelmont

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Was at that show. Terrible. The band was flat, rolling through the motions. For one of their largest venues and one of a handful of sellouts on that tour, they definitely didn't rise to the occasion. I had way more fun at Memphis the week before and it was a truncated vanilla festival set.
    I respectfully disagree. I was at the show as well. Yes, the setlist is uninspired and disappointing considering being in Nashville with a sold out crowd, but the band sounded great... extremely tight performances vocally and musically.

My expectations were definitely really high going into the show, thinking the band would have fun guests and some surprise song liberations, but even if the setlist was completely run-of-the-mill, it's a really great timestamp of where the band was/is at that point of time. In the future, if you're looking for a great example of how well this current band lineup & song batches performed live, this is a solid listen. Each song performance sounded fantastic!

I took my Dad (who is a skeptical, casual fan) to the show and he absolutely loved it. It was fun to watch the show through his eyes instead of my jaded, sometimes elitist point of view. Just my two cents...
    mjpbelmont is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2020, 11:06 AM   #3067
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjpbelmont View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I was at the show as well. Yes, the setlist is uninspired and disappointing considering being in Nashville with a sold out crowd, but the band sounded great... extremely tight performances vocally and musically.

My expectations were definitely really high going into the show, thinking the band would have fun guests and some surprise song liberations, but even if the setlist was completely run-of-the-mill, it's a really great timestamp of where the band was/is at that point of time. In the future, if you're looking for a great example of how well this current band lineup & song batches performed live, this is a solid listen. Each song performance sounded fantastic!

I took my Dad (who is a skeptical, casual fan) to the show and he absolutely loved it. It was fun to watch the show through his eyes instead of my jaded, sometimes elitist point of view. Just my two cents...
    I wasn't at the show and have not heard/seen a single note of it, but while you're spot on about the set being uninspired I'm a big fan of a significant majority of the songs played. As long as they performed well my complains would be passing and minimal.

I do notice that a lot of folks on these boards will dismiss a show based a set that didn't surprise them or blow them away (even if they were at the show). Their objectivity about the actual performance is often clouded as a result.

That said, one person's great show is another mediocre show...
    Old 08-20-2020, 11:17 AM   #3068
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    I wasn't at the show and have not heard/seen a single note of it, but while you're spot on about the set being uninspired I'm a big fan of a significant majority of the songs played. As long as they performed well my complains would be passing and minimal.

I do notice that a lot of folks on these boards will dismiss a show based a set that didn't surprise them or blow them away (even if they were at the show). Their objectivity about the actual performance is often clouded as a result.

They perform just about everything well so the part that matters is the set. This last Drive In they were playing well and I bailed half way through it.
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2020, 12:09 PM   #3069
    mjpbelmont

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post

Yes totally agree. Not saying it was a great show... but it was definitely an enjoyable show and I was pleasantly surprised by how damn good/tight they sounded with this new lineup. And Dave's voice was as good as it could be. So it's definitely worth listening in that regard!
    Old 08-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #3070
    mjpbelmont

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    They perform just about everything well so the part that matters is the set. This last Drive In they were playing well and I bailed half way through it.
    Yes, but you can definitely tell when they are "in the pocket" or not during a show. I play bass guitar, so maybe i'm more aware of it than others... maybe not... either way, I feel like a great setlist with a ton of mistakes isn't as fulfilling as a middle of the road setlist with great/tight performances. Just my opinion of course. I just love tight musicianship, which clearly DMB is one of the best at! But it varies night to night, especially in their later years due to them being fully present and invested that night. Nashville felt like they were 100% present and loving every second playing together. It's just too bad the setlist wasn't more creative.
    Old 08-20-2020, 12:49 PM   #3071
    Hilly

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I play bass guitar, so maybe i'm more aware of it than others... I just love tight musicianship

LOL.
    Old 08-20-2020, 12:52 PM   #3072
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes, but you can definitely tell when they are "in the pocket" or not during a show. I play bass guitar, so maybe i'm more aware of it than others... maybe not... either way, I feel like a great setlist with a ton of mistakes isn't as fulfilling as a middle of the road setlist with great/tight performances. Just my opinion of course. I just love tight musicianship, which clearly DMB is one of the best at! But it varies night to night, especially in their later years due to them being fully present and invested that night. Nashville felt like they were 100% present and loving every second playing together. It's just too bad the setlist wasn't more creative.
    Well, on one hand I will say it's actually the best Nancies > Warehouse I've seen in person. Dave straight ripped into that Warehouse at the front of the stage and the crowd lost their minds. I've gone back to listen to that one quite a lot.

On another hand I have never been so pissed at a set in person before. 10 repeats from Pelham just down the road at the previous show.... I just don't understand that and it's totally lazy to me with a catalogue this big. I left Pelham and thought exactly what these posts are saying - wow what a great representation of where the band is, the songs all sound tremendous even though the set on paper isn't great, they are really rolling right now, etc. Loud as hell sound and I had a blast.

So I really was stoked for Nashville. Laid all the cards out on the line, skipped my final college graduation and everything lol. I was extremely disappointed. Hard ticket to get for good seats as it sold so fast... everything about the whole thing just left a sour taste in my mouth. It was the worst show I saw in 2019 easily but if I had not seen Pelham and been so amped about that, maybe I would think Nashville was epic.

I saw 14 shows last year and undoubtedly to me Nashville was the worst one and most disappointing.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #3073
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Bartender, Dreaming Tree, LIOG, The Stone, Two Step etc. will always be better to me than middle of the road / bad songs regardless of who plays what on Antsmarching.org. If they make mistakes it's likely because it's something they haven't played in a while or is a challenge and I think they could be doing more of both.
    Old 08-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #3074
    mjpbelmont

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    LOL.
    And what's so funny about that?

Plus you deleted my "maybe not" in your quote. Cool bro!
    Old 08-20-2020, 01:11 PM   #3075
    mjpbelmont

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hahninator View Post
    Well, on one hand I will say it's actually the best Nancies > Warehouse I've seen in person. Dave straight ripped into that Warehouse at the front of the stage and the crowd lost their minds. I've gone back to listen to that one quite a lot.

On another hand I have never been so pissed at a set in person before. 10 repeats from Pelham just down the road at the previous show.... I just don't understand that and it's totally lazy to me with a catalogue this big. I left Pelham and thought exactly what these posts are saying - wow what a great representation of where the band is, the songs all sound tremendous even though the set on paper isn't great, they are really rolling right now, etc. Loud as hell sound and I had a blast.

So I really was stoked for Nashville. Laid all the cards out on the line, skipped my final college graduation and everything lol. I was extremely disappointed. Hard ticket to get for good seats as it sold so fast... everything about the whole thing just left a sour taste in my mouth. It was the worst show I saw in 2019 easily but if I had not seen Pelham and been so amped about that, maybe I would think Nashville was epic.

I saw 14 shows last year and undoubtedly to me Nashville was the worst one and most disappointing.
    Yeah totally get that! Especially after seeing the next night on DMB Drive-In... I was super frustrated ha.

Nashville was nowhere near great or epic, but solid. And better than most people here give credit for. But yes, beyond a let down setlist wise when you factor in Nashville, sold-out, no guests. I was definitely going in with high expectations which is always dangerous with this band ha
    Old 08-20-2020, 01:13 PM   #3076
    mjpbelmont

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Bartender, Dreaming Tree, LIOG, The Stone, Two Step etc. will always be better to me than middle of the road / bad songs regardless of who plays what on Antsmarching.org. If they make mistakes it's likely because it's something they haven't played in a while or is a challenge and I think they could be doing more of both.
    Yeah for sure. I would prefer those songs too of course. I just get frustrated if I see a show with a cool setlist on paper and then listen to the show and it's riddled with mistakes. But if you're there, its a totally different experience. I get that!
    Old 08-20-2020, 01:16 PM   #3077
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah for sure. I would prefer those songs too of course. I just get frustrated if I see a show with a cool setlist on paper and then listen to the show and it's riddled with mistakes. But if you're there, its a totally different experience. I get that!

Yeah just different preferences I guess, obviously I am not hoping for mistakes but they happen. Take the Sweet Briar release as an example, there's mistakes all over the place and the second half of that show is nearly a train wreck the whole time but I love it. Pig was a mess at Mansfield last year but it was great.
    Old 08-20-2020, 01:19 PM   #3078
    mjpbelmont

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah just different preferences I guess, obviously I am not hoping for mistakes but they happen. Take the Sweet Briar release as an example, there's mistakes all over the place and the second half of that show is nearly a train wreck the whole time but I love it. Pig was a mess at Mansfield last year but it was great.
    Yeah good call. Totally agree. It only bothers me if it feels like the band isn't into the performance. Watching the MSG 2018 Drive-in had that feel for me. Didn't feel like a super inspired performance that night. But who the hell am i to judge you know? haha just had that vibe
    Old 08-20-2020, 01:52 PM   #3079
    zumajed

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Have any of the Drive-In videos been saved or ripped from youtube for posterity? I always listen to the Live Trax from last night's show because I love Leroi and I never thought I would have the chance to see the show for myself. I'd love to revisit it from time to time.

I was also at that MsG show from last week and I thought it was great the night of the show and great again last Wednesday. The poster for it thought was pretty abismal back in 2018. The new poster is just epic. I'm so happy they let Slater redo it. That one is going on my wall when it arrives.
    zumajed is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2020, 02:54 PM   #3080
    Royal123

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

a few people mentioned that they had the drive in videos saved and would post links, the MSG one was posted the day after and was perfect quality, i haven't seen any others recently shared unless i'm not looking in the right place
    Royal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #3081
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royal123 View Post
    a few people mentioned that they had the drive in videos saved and would post links, the MSG one was posted the day after and was perfect quality, i haven't seen any others recently shared unless i'm not looking in the right place
    I posted everyone so far except last night
    A couple got blocked for copyright though and most countries can’t watch it
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2020, 09:08 PM   #3082
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zumajed View Post
    Have any of the Drive-In videos been saved or ripped from youtube for posterity? I always listen to the Live Trax from last night's show because I love Leroi and I never thought I would have the chance to see the show for myself. I'd love to revisit it from time to time.

I was also at that MsG show from last week and I thought it was great the night of the show and great again last Wednesday. The poster for it thought was pretty abismal back in 2018. The new poster is just epic. I'm so happy they let Slater redo it. That one is going on my wall when it arrives.
    We loved seeing the MSG show again too, but we loved the Kelly from the night of the show and didn't care for the Slater. Great artist, but I prefer the posters he does without the girls. They come across as vapid to me. There's no story or anything evocative.

BUT it's just like the songs and shows w/ DMB. We enjoy things differently and it's all good.

Cheers.
    Old 08-20-2020, 09:26 PM   #3083
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Sorry, I remember reading somewhere that MSG N2 2018 was a Kelly, but it doesn't seem to be accurate as it's certainly not in the style for which he's most known...

Regardless, we have both posters in our living room w/ two Avetts Bros and a Nickel Creek.

I do wish more artists would do landscape designs...

It WAS a Kelly...oy.

Last edited by grilldanmo; 08-20-2020 at 09:29 PM.
    Old 08-20-2020, 09:31 PM   #3084
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Pretty sure that’s a Rich Kelly print.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2020, 05:37 AM   #3085
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

The Dreaming Tree from this past Drive In is really great. Even with Tim and Rashawn playing, it still has the original band sound. This is the Tim I like. Taking a back seat instead of covering Dave's parts. Rashawn is actually soloing, scaling, etc. and not just squealing. Boyd comes through very well also. The outro, which always seems like its out of timing to me (it very clearly is not, but instead is using time that I can't even keep up with), is something I will always link with LeRoi. Don't think it can be replicated.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2020, 05:57 AM   #3086
    donvito72

Shows Seen: 68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think I've morphed over the years - now it's more about what's being played, and what I haven't heard in a while.
    Old 08-21-2020, 06:12 AM   #3087
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by donvito72 View Post
    I think I've morphed over the years - now it's more about what's being played, and what I haven't heard in a while.

The last Drive In is the perfect example to me, they sound great and there were about two songs I was excited about, two Drive In shows before that they sounded great and the show didn't feel like it started until 10 songs into it. The '06 Drive In they sounded great while playing some of the worst songs in their catalog and finishing the night off with a weak encore. Every Drive In I've been really into has had a strong setlist with some rare songs or unique guest appearances, totally agree with you.
    Old 08-21-2020, 06:59 AM   #3088
    donvito72

Shows Seen: 68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The last Drive In is the perfect example to me, they sound great and there were about two songs I was excited about, two Drive In shows before that they sounded great and the show didn't feel like it started until 10 songs into it. The '06 Drive In they sounded great while playing some of the worst songs in their catalog and finishing the night off with a weak encore. Every Drive In I've been really into has had a strong setlist with some rare songs or unique guest appearances, totally agree with you.
    Yep - I 100% agree with all of this (at least insofar as how it works for me - to each their own, of course)
    Old 08-21-2020, 08:37 AM   #3089
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

We've just been glad for the shows AND that they mixed things up more. Even a 2018 show was a nice side step from the 2019 shows. We've enjoyed all of them so far. Everything's different, but still DMB.

One of the things I really liked about this week's show was Boyd's solos AND Carter getting up, shaking hands/bumping fists w/ Boyd and clearly telling him he killed it. The good old days when everyone was still there and work together... Sadly, it was literally the last one.

Roi is one of my all time favorite artists and I miss hearing him play, especially on new music...
    Old 08-21-2020, 10:26 AM   #3090
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

My prediction for next week is a (newer) D&T show or one of the Alpine 2019 shows.
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote