2021 Tour Idea - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: How many shows would you attend in 2021 Drive In Tour?
More Shows 9 8.11%
Same shows 22 19.82%
Less Shows 34 30.63%
No Shows 46 41.44%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2020, 11:52 AM   #31
dontdrink36
not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Re: 2021 Tour Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
I thought in this scenario that the band would be there in person playing live, not that it'd be a broadcast. I obviously wouldn't go be around anyone just to watch a broadcast.
Yes, in my scenario the band would be there. It sounds like Metallica did a pre-recorded live drive in thing. I'd love for the band to do that if actual shows aren't possible. Not in person but where they play a show together in a venue and then release it a couple days later without revealing the setlist. Do one of those a week would be cool. I'd pay for a show like that to watch at home if no real shows could happen.
dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #32
    tubaguy1145

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

MMW is doing a live workshop via Zoom, which is supposed to also feature rare/unseen footage from their very early days. The combination of getting to hear these guys talk about their creative process, cut to old performance clips, and likely jam it out ad lib in the moment, has me very excited for this. In the absence of a more normal tour, something like this could be a great way for DMB to interact with fans and bring in some revenue.

Here’s the link to MMW’s workshop: https://creativemusicworkshop.com/cmw-live-2020-closed/
    tubaguy1145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2020, 12:07 PM   #33
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tubaguy1145 View Post
    MMW is doing a live workshop via Zoom, which is supposed to also feature rare/unseen footage from their very early days. The combination of getting to hear these guys talk about their creative process, cut to old performance clips, and likely jam it out ad lib in the moment, has me very excited for this. In the absence of a more normal tour, something like this could be a great way for DMB to interact with fans and bring in some revenue.

Here’s the link to MMW’s workshop: https://creativemusicworkshop.com/cmw-live-2020-closed/
    That sounds cool. I want to see DMB interacting and playing live together in 2021. If that is in person or online in some I don't really care.
    Old 10-27-2020, 01:26 PM   #34
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Obviously, I have no idea if this is feasible (probably not) or economical, but what if they just upscaled the size of the venues so that people could social distance. For instance, move the Jones Beach show to Met Life Stadium.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2020, 01:27 PM   #35
    mposey34
    Learn To Swim

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    For those voting no would you go if the tour was normal? Are you not going to these shows because of the proposed format or is it for another reason?
    I have tickets to 3 shows for 2021 and would add the Texas Two Step when they went on sale if they were back to regular shows. If they are "drive in", I'm not going to any.
    Old 10-27-2020, 02:50 PM   #36
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I thought in this scenario that the band would be there in person playing live, not that it'd be a broadcast. I obviously wouldn't go be around anyone just to watch a broadcast.
    The drive-in concerts that folks have been doing are live in-person performances with tickets either for lot/parking area or to access the live stream. The streaming only shows I've seen this summer have only been for charity. There were a couple that charged to watch a live stream only that I wish I'd bought tickets for, but I didn't have the time available to watch live.

This is extremely helpful to you....
    grilldanmo is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2020, 07:06 PM   #37
    SmoothD41
    Hoosiers

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

Same number....went to a drive-in show at Deer Creek this past summer (actual band playing on a huge stage in the parking lot), and I actually liked it more than normal shows. It was fantastic. Had lots of space, didn’t have to pay 15 bucks for beers, sound was really good, easy in and out. There was not one bad thing about it.

SmoothD41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2020, 07:09 PM   #38
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothD41 View Post
    Same number....went to a drive-in show at Deer Creek this past summer (actual band playing on a huge stage in the parking lot), and I actually liked it more than normal shows. It was fantastic. Had lots of space, didn’t have to pay 15 bucks for beers, sound was really good, easy in and out. There was not one bad thing about it.
    What band?

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2020, 07:24 PM   #39
    SmoothD41
    Hoosiers

My Tour Central Stats

Yacht Rock Revue

Old 10-28-2020, 01:26 AM   #40
    chach1369
    Bluto

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Hahahahaha.....I'm just picturing everybody frantically speeding their cars down the Alpine lawn, trying to get front the second it opens....
    chach1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-28-2020, 07:27 AM   #41
    tduffman

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    For those voting no would you go if the tour was normal? Are you not going to these shows because of the proposed format or is it for another reason?
    Drive Ins are pretty crappy sound wise and experience wise and this would not work at any of the venues around me.
    Old 10-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #42
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/l...EA2NJCGPM44SY/

First mention I've seen of a live venue reopening. Interesting to see what precautions they've planned. Foreshadowing for DMB's 2021 tour?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Old 10-28-2020, 11:40 AM   #43
    ISawTheBridge10

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FeelingGood View Post
    https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/l...EA2NJCGPM44SY/

First mention I've seen of a live venue reopening. Interesting to see what precautions they've planned. Foreshadowing for DMB's 2021 tour?

I think all guidelines listed are very appropriate for a reopening plan. Hell, i would be OK with just mask in common areas and limited capacity to allow for more distancing. But if they want to take temps as well, they can scan away.
    ISawTheBridge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-28-2020, 11:52 AM   #44
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

My Tour Central Stats

I agree. Also, I'm always curious why 'the authorities' don't seem to care about covering the eyes. One droplet flying toward your face can land on your eyeball, which then can make it into your system. Just wondering out loud.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:56 AM   #45
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I agree. Also, I'm always curious why 'the authorities' don't seem to care about covering the eyes. One droplet flying toward your face can land on your eyeball, which then can make it into your system. Just wondering out loud.

People have a tough enough time with masks. You really think the majority would wear goggles?

I'm all for any precaution that allows concerts to happen in 2021. I did Disney this summer and the masks, distancing, and temp checks were super easy, barely an inconvenience.
    Old 10-28-2020, 01:23 PM   #46
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    People have a tough enough time with masks. You really think the majority would wear goggles?

I'm all for any precaution that allows concerts to happen in 2021. I did Disney this summer and the masks, distancing, and temp checks were super easy, barely an inconvenience.
    No I don't, and that's why I asked. If society is truly concerned about stemming the China plague, the authorities need to start examining and taking the root causes seriously. Otherwise, you can throw music concerts in the category of 'superspreader' events that the left is blaming Trump for everytime he holds a rally or supreme court justice swearing-in ceremony. And we don't want liberals blaming conservative loving DMB for being a superspreader now, do we?

Old 10-28-2020, 01:55 PM   #47
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

I am not sure what the answer is. It sure doesn't seem like we're going to be able to have normal concerts any time soon, but the current live-streams are getting kinda stale. I kinda hope the band is thinking about something a little more creative for next year if we're still in this situation by the time the tour rolls around.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-28-2020, 03:36 PM   #48
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

DMB doesn’t do much that good anymore but how can anyone enjoy a show from a freakin car really far away? DMB still really brings a lively show and without that atmosphere it would be such a dud
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-28-2020, 06:01 PM   #49
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

My Tour Central Stats

If I were to try a Drive In show, DMB would be the band I'd do it for, just because I pretty much know to expect from the show. I don't see that type of concert being worth it though.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #50
    SmoothD41
    Hoosiers

My Tour Central Stats

A lot of people don’t really understand what these drive-in concerts are like, which obviously isn’t surprising if you’ve never been to one.

At Deer Creek, each vehicle got a space the size of a two car garage. Nobody sits in their car and watches the show. Most people sit in lawn chairs, stand like they do in the lawn at a show, or what we did was sit in the bed of the truck in lawn chairs. There are different ticket price zones (you get one ticket per vehicle) that dictate how close you are to the stage. Just like a normal show you can get really, really close to the stage. Or if you don’t care about being close and just care about being there and hearing it you can save your money and be further away. You can bring your own food and drinks. They gave each vehicle a bag for trash/recycling and you just leave it when you leave. You can order food from the venue through an app and it’s delivered to your vehicle. PortaPotties a plenty. Don’t have to deal with as many inconsiderate fucks. Sound was great. Easy in, easy out. There was literally not one bad thing about it.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:03 PM   #51
    prdstmnky36

My Tour Central Stats

Oh I get it, and I’m not interested

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    Old 10-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #52
    SmoothD41
    Hoosiers

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    Oh I get it, and I’m not interested
    That’s cool. Wouldn’t be for everyone.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #53
    prdstmnky36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That’s cool. Wouldn’t be for everyone.
    I’ve read write ups for the Paisley show and the Yacht Rock show, both at DC. Both said roughly 400 cars, and 1000 people. The Paisley review mentioned those in the back were half a mile from the stage.

How full was the lot? Do you really think this would be suitable for a band with a following like DMB?

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    Old 10-29-2020, 06:27 AM   #54
    somuchtoplay

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

I'd think the only realistic option for a band like DMB would be to play a football stadium at reduced capacity. If the browns can host 12,000 people at First Energy Stadium (Normal capacity is 67K), why couldnt DMB? Surely by next summer that figure will be higher--probably 20,000 people in a 67,000 capcity outdoor venue with masks should be doable by then.
    somuchtoplay is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-29-2020, 06:28 AM   #55
    ISawTheBridge10

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

But you're in that big camping field outside of Deer Creek, right? Watching the stage on huge screens?

Quote:
    A lot of people don’t really understand what these drive-in concerts are like, which obviously isn’t surprising if you’ve never been to one.

At Deer Creek, each vehicle got a space the size of a two car garage. Nobody sits in their car and watches the show. Most people sit in lawn chairs, stand like they do in the lawn at a show, or what we did was sit in the bed of the truck in lawn chairs. There are different ticket price zones (you get one ticket per vehicle) that dictate how close you are to the stage. Just like a normal show you can get really, really close to the stage. Or if you don’t care about being close and just care about being there and hearing it you can save your money and be further away. You can bring your own food and drinks. They gave each vehicle a bag for trash/recycling and you just leave it when you leave. You can order food from the venue through an app and it’s delivered to your vehicle. PortaPotties a plenty. Don’t have to deal with as many inconsiderate fucks. Sound was great. Easy in, easy out. There was literally not one bad thing about it.
    ISawTheBridge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #56
    SmoothD41
    Hoosiers

My Tour Central Stats

^ The stage was set up in the west (I think) parking lot at Deer Creek (not the one behind the lawn).

Depends on where you’re at. We could see the stage perfectly fine from our spot. If you paid for the cheapest tickets than yes you would definitely be watching mostly on the screen. Similar to what you would do if you were way back in the lawn at a normal show.

Last edited by SmoothD41; 10-29-2020 at 07:25 AM.
    Old 10-29-2020, 08:14 AM   #57
    DoDaFoo
    I'll do the same

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I wouldn't pay anything for a PPV stream. Not one red cent.

This is me too. I have no interest in paying to watch new/old/taped shows on a stream.

2024 - D&T Mexico for my 100th show! + Pine Knob, SPAC, Gorge, and Bourbon & Beyond
    DoDaFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #58
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

wait, people still think the 2021 Tour is happening?

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #59
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Oh noes!!!!!!

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #60
    IndyDMB

Shows Seen: 114

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

The venues wont be the problem with shows next year. The band itself will most likely choose not to tour, out of an abundance of caution (phrase of the year). I dont see them wanting to put fans in that situation.

2024 - Deer Creek & Gorge
    IndyDMB is offline   Reply With Quote