What (besides politics) irritates you? - Page 3059 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #91741
ExistenceNow
AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Re: What (besides politics) irritates you?

About to start a new chapter in my programming class and he asked if anyone had anyone questions from the previous chapter. Someone asked how to initialize a variable. Literal first day shit. We've had three programming assignments that there's no way should could have done without knowing how to initialize a variable.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-16-2020, 06:51 PM   #91742
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Maren Morris
    Old 09-16-2020, 08:27 PM   #91743
    Gene Parmesan

Shows Seen: 75

My Tour Central Stats

Pine tar on batting helmets.
    Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-16-2020, 09:34 PM   #91744
    DMB4lifeMI
    All hail St. George

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Having a PS5 in my cart on bestbuy.com but not being able to advance to the payment page
    Old 09-17-2020, 05:04 AM   #91745
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
    Pine tar on batting helmets.
    Jim Thome disagrees

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2020, 05:51 AM   #91746
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    Maren Morris
    Whoa, really?
    Old 09-17-2020, 07:46 AM   #91747
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Co-workers that burn shit in the kitchen.

I haven't worked in an office in 10+ years... but the wife has been working from home since March. She's already burned at least 3 years worth of english muffins and popcorn. Today the toaster oven went up in flames. Only took 6 months... Good times.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #91748
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Fun day. Went to take my daughter to day care, car wouldn't start. After taking her with my wife's car and working a couple hours at home, I struggled for a while to get it jumped.

Went to Autozone to have them confirm the battery was dead. It was, but then we couldn't get it jumped again. Don't think the kid knew how to use the jumper pack. Tried to jump it from an employee's car. Wasn't doing anything. Employee brought out a car battery on a cart and that didn't work after 10 minutes. Then we changed the jumper cables and it worked.

I'd bought the car battery at another place 2 years ago and it had a 3 year warranty, so I went there. They had to confirm the battery was bad, then look up my warranty. Then they didn't have the same battery to replace it with, so sent me to another store. Had to jump me off first.

Second store, as a formality, had to also verify it was a bad battery. They started to say it wasn't and that they could probably just charge it, but then said they'd replace it.
    GSUdawg521 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #91749
    K270
    Hello my baby!!!!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GSUdawg521 View Post
    Fun day. Went to take my daughter to day care, car wouldn't start. After taking her with my wife's car and working a couple hours at home, I struggled for a while to get it jumped.

Went to Autozone to have them confirm the battery was dead. It was, but then we couldn't get it jumped again. Don't think the kid knew how to use the jumper pack. Tried to jump it from an employee's car. Wasn't doing anything. Employee brought out a car battery on a cart and that didn't work after 10 minutes. Then we changed the jumper cables and it worked.

I'd bought the car battery at another place 2 years ago and it had a 3 year warranty, so I went there. They had to confirm the battery was bad, then look up my warranty. Then they didn't have the same battery to replace it with, so sent me to another store. Had to jump me off first.

Second store, as a formality, had to also verify it was a bad battery. They started to say it wasn't and that they could probably just charge it, but then said they'd replace it.
    Had the same thing happen to me several months back. Kind of similar to your story, but the shop just wouldn't replace the battery out right. Since the battery was only 3 years old, they'd sell me a new battery at a pro-rated cost, it was something like 60% off. The battery wasn't bad, something else was wrong. Brought the vehicle to my mechanic and had them do a drop test. Stupid me should've known what the problem was. I have a dash cam in my car. I leave it plugged in 24/7. It slowly killed the battery. My mechanic offered to sell me a new battery and he matched the other shops quote. So I bought the battery and now unplug my dash cam every night.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neumdogg View Post
    Dodgers suck.
    K270 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2020, 07:09 AM   #91750
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

I am really confused what kind of internal logic would lead from "hey, this guy says he doesn't know the answer but if I just wait on hold he can get the answer" to "nahhhhhh fuck it i'll keep talking to him. Surely that'll get the answer!"
    Old 09-23-2020, 08:42 AM   #91751
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

My Tour Central Stats

Speaking of dumb customers, I had one yesterday who came up to the window and when I asked if he was picking up or placing, he said "Well, I placed an online order but y'all sent it to the wrong store, so I guess I'm placing one."

No, guy. That's not how the internet works. We're not sending online orders in vacuum tubes like a bank to the correct store. YOU choose what store you order from online. YOU chose poorly.
    Old 09-23-2020, 09:10 AM   #91752
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    Co-workers that burn shit in the kitchen.

I haven't worked in an office in 10+ years... but the wife has been working from home since March. She's already burned at least 3 years worth of english muffins and popcorn. Today the toaster oven went up in flames. Only took 6 months... Good times.
    Report to HR
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2020, 10:00 AM   #91753
    mandy18

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Speaking of dumb customers, I had one yesterday who came up to the window and when I asked if he was picking up or placing, he said "Well, I placed an online order but y'all sent it to the wrong store, so I guess I'm placing one."

No, guy. That's not how the internet works. We're not sending online orders in vacuum tubes like a bank to the correct store. YOU choose what store you order from online. YOU chose poorly.
    Were my parents visiting TX and not tell me?
    That’s so up my Dad’s alley.
    mandy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2020, 10:09 AM   #91754
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post
    Whoa, really?
    Really really. Dunno what it is about her.
    Old 09-23-2020, 09:05 PM   #91755
    K270
    Hello my baby!!!!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post

In situations like this, online orders should be paid for in advance and have no refunds. The restaurant shouldn't lose the cost of the food because some asshat can't read. Especially in these times when some restaurants are struggling to survive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neumdogg View Post
    Dodgers suck.
    K270 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2020, 07:36 AM   #91756
    defcon
    :rattled

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

That awkward moment when today is the end of the notice period at your old job and you're no longer contractually obligated to work there as of about 8 hours from now, and you know they're not ready for you to go. Luckily, I've already fully trained my replacement, who will make far less than I in the role (i.e., basically be their alphabitch). Not a single person, during any of this, with the exception of HR has said, "Oh, so sorry to see you leave." Couldn't even fake it. The implication is clear. Fuck me. NO! FUCK YOU! New Job training is already done, and I start Monday. For now, the beach.
    Old 09-27-2020, 11:24 AM   #91757
    defcon

My Tour Central Stats

Hate to bump when I posted last, but an update to the above situation.

History: Friday was the end of my contracted notice period at the now officially formal job. While I had provided notice to HR and my direct supervisor, whom I've never actually seen in person, I received only an acknowledgement from HR in the form of a generic form email and letter. The Sup was sent an email.

Wellll....This morning I did not go in. I didn't need to. I left literally all of my company property with one of the new Security Guards(they've hired them due to some issues) as per the new memo, since I was the very last out the door Friday.

So I had a great weekend, at least up until now.

At 7am this morning, I got several calls from my old Company's Security. I picked up on like the 5th call and as many voicemails. No company rep was there so, can they open the building because people are showing up for work? I had to put the dude on hold while I decided what to say. After brief personal contemplation, I informed him that as of Friday, 9/25, at 11pm, I formally resigned my employment, per an email and letter handed in at HR (all of above). I handed in my company property, including my badge and keys. I left my laptop and seldom used company phone in my desk with a completed property sheet and locked my shared office, and, while I am not the person to contact, I will reach out and see what I can do, BUT, at this point, he should contact the next person on the emergency contact list and remove my name.

I never called back. Half hour later, more calls that I didn't answer. I decided to unplug, do some house chores for a few minutes. I went outside and walked around the neighborhood. I see this cop car pass me, and even through tinted windows I can see she's eyeing me intently, doubles back, asks me if I am who I am. Yup. It's a welfare check because my employer reported it. Some stiff in the Corporate Emergency Department or whatever. I informed the officer of what I had reiterated from above. I erred in never calling back the Security Guard. I should have reached out to someone, and for the trouble it caused, sorry 'boot that. I had just simply ran out of fucks to give, and, not being a current employee, felt that I was not responsible. I do normally work all day Sundays. Now I start my new job tomorrow.

So I walk back to my house, turn my phone back on, and it has BLOWN up. About 10 messages in all, going from "Where you at?" to "We're Concerned. Call us back immediately." to "We care about you, Chris...please, let us know you're OK (oh, so NOW you're concerned for me. FAKE)...then, the second half was a rapidly escalating serious of "Are You Serious?!" "We're going to have to term you. We all had to come in today. Some folks are on their way in," and last, but not least, the grand finale, the big "FUCK YOU, BUDDY!" So just for shits and giggles, I called our switchboard. I dialed the conference extension and join code. There's an active conference call. They're discussing divyying up my many responsibilities. "Who just checked in?"

"Hey guys, it's Chris. Look, I REALLLY appreciate the concern, I do...but, I guess you all forgot that Friday was my last day. I handed in notice to HR and my Supervisor. I left my phone and laptop in my desk in the office. I handed over keys and badge to security. I'm pretty sure you all forgot. So I don't appreciate the undue bullshit. I sent a farewell email at 10:45 Friday night. I guess none of you bothered to read it. I was going to reach out to someone after getting the call this morning, but, considering that I don't actually work there anymore, I simply ran out of fucks to give. This is your problem, not mine. Do not contact me ever again. Good look with your future endeavors, and may God have mercy on your souls."

Ahhh, the sweet nothingness of simply not giving a fuck.
    Tomorrow is going to be a great day.
    Old 10-01-2020, 07:59 AM   #91758
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Irritated that phone models have become confusing as hell! Current phone is Samsung Galaxy s7. Back in those days, Galaxy and iPhones had simple numbers in order, and the middle update iPhone had an s. Eady to understand.

Now you go to any shop page, and its a cacophony of letters and numbers after it. You have to do so much damn research just to figure out what came out when, what features are missing or not between models, and I am sick of having to do hours of research at this point. Ugh.

You need a Chatlie Day chart just to sort thru it all!

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2020, 08:02 AM   #91759
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

And comparing specs, I miss the days of:

More RAM = More better
    More Resolution = More better
    More camera numbers = More better

Now you have to read dissertations just to tell which specs are better on different phones.

/old man yelling at cloud

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 10-01-2020, 08:09 AM   #91760
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Oh and how about SIM card compatibilty when you are trying to shop around for best phone price and separarely for best phone plan. Fuck!

Ting got bought out by DISH, so most people are jumping ship, and Ting no longer has almost any phones in their Shop page anyway.

So I am looking at Visible and other MVNOs because Im used to paying a combined $55-70 phone bill at worst between my wife and I, and the big networks charge way more.

- Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Tiduwho; 10-01-2020 at 08:10 AM.
    Old 10-01-2020, 01:23 PM   #91761
    defcon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    Oh and how about SIM card compatibilty when you are trying to shop around for best phone price and separarely for best phone plan. Fuck!

Ting got bought out by DISH, so most people are jumping ship, and Ting no longer has almost any phones in their Shop page anyway.

So I am looking at Visible and other MVNOs because Im used to paying a combined $55-70 phone bill at worst between my wife and I, and the big networks charge way more.

Google Fi.

Up until the T-mobile merger, it worked on Sprint, T-Mobile, and US Cellular. US Cellular has no coverage anywhere I've ever lived - I think they're a regional/mid-western mainline (non-MVNO) carrier.

However, since the merger, I've noticed I have to manually switch the carrier to Sprint because T-mobile has shitty coverage outside cities and about 3 miles from anything. Hasn't changed since their infant days as Voicestream, etc.

I just confirmed with T-mobile that they are deactivating some old Sprint Towers, permanantly, as a result of the merger. Those areas will only have CDMA1, which is US Cellular's backbone agreement with Verizon, from the days before LTE when Sprint and other CDMAs had those agreements with Verizon and you'd see extended area or roaming. Most of those towers will be getting a 700mhz band 5g buildout with legacy 4GLTE, but it's being temporarily deactivated. It's the long band 5g so it should reach out. 3G will be deactivated soon across the board (as soon as next year, but looking more like 2025ish). 2G will remain because some legacy IoT like alarm systems rely on it.

As for Dish, they just brought a whole bunch of T-mobile and Sprint stuff (infrastructure, bandwidth, frequencies) that had to be sold off as a result of the merger but I doubt they'll ever become a mainline, non-MVNO carrier on their own. They just don't seem willing to make the investment. They'll probably resale to someone else or merge with ATT or VZW, or maybe we will get another major carrier. Nationwide buildout is an investment of tens if not hundreds of billion dollars, even using contracted towers.

TL;DR: I'd say Google Fi is probably your best MVNO right now if you're living in a reasonably populated area. Although Ting and others use multiple networks, they don't always support eSIM (needed for iPhones), or dual sim and certainly don't support active switching. With Google Fi, your phone automatically (if designed for Fi, so all Pixels, Motorola G7+) switches to the best network. You can get apps or learn dialer codes to manually switch, which I'd highly recommend, and it takes like 3 minutes which is annoying when you're trying to do something quickly. Very often I get stuck on non 4G which is a PITA because Fi only works at a crawl at those speeds (HSPA, etc.)

Visible is good (Verizon) but they limit your speeds to like 5MB even on 4G. So if you're fine with that, that's probably the best option. I'm not. My new job a couple of our systems require 25+ MB, which 4G can do if close enough.
    Old 10-01-2020, 06:31 PM   #91762
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

This is very good information, thank you defcon.

When you say limited to 5MB, are you saying like download speed? So right now I just tested my Ting. It was at 22 Mbps. So you are saying Visible would limit me to 5? If so eh...even though I mostly only browse internet and watch occasional snapchat videos so I dont need big speeds or anything, but if thats the case its a but worrying.

I really wanted to finally break down and crossover to iPhone after being on Android for 10+ years. What is the best network for iPhones?

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 10-01-2020, 07:38 PM   #91763
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I’m irritated that LinkedIn mobile now has a “stories” section. Its not Snapchat, Instagram or Facebook. There is ZERO reason for it
    Old 10-02-2020, 12:58 PM   #91764
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

All happening in today’s news cycle - the mayor of my city was indicted on felony charges related to campaign finance and a plane registered to a very prominent local injury attorney is reported to have crashed in a nearby western, NY town. This year needs to just go away
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #91765
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    All happening in today’s news cycle - the mayor of my city was indicted on felony charges related to campaign finance and a plane registered to a very prominent local injury attorney is reported to have crashed in a nearby western, NY town. This year needs to just go away
    Yeah but you have plates still you ungrateful fuck.
    Old 10-02-2020, 01:03 PM   #91766
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

True story. Silver linings.
    Old 10-02-2020, 01:18 PM   #91767
    swordo84
    . .

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Celino & Barnes were the greatest legal tag-team ever. LOVED seeing their commercials up here, and billboards whenever we headed to/through Buffalo.
    swordo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2020, 01:27 PM   #91768
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by swordo84 View Post
    Celino & Barnes were the greatest legal tag-team ever. LOVED seeing their commercials up here, and billboards whenever we headed to/through Buffalo.
    I haven’t seen anything confirmed about it being either of them, have you?
    Old 10-02-2020, 01:29 PM   #91769
    scrock25

My Tour Central Stats

I actually just read it, the plane was being piloted by Steve Barnes. Jesus. R.I.P.
    Old 10-02-2020, 05:57 PM   #91770
    SeanMH
    GoWokeGoBroke

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

- people who take more than 1 min (max 2 mins) at an ATM/drive up ATM

- driving thru a Home Depot/Lowes parking lot (lanes between the store and the actual parking lot), it seems like an endless supply of people leaving the store and coming into the store

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klize17 View Post
    Last nights was the best version of Satellite I have ever heard.
    SeanMH is offline   Reply With Quote