Stand Up is a great album...there I said it. - Page 40 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-10-2022, 08:45 PM   #1171
TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Stand Up is a great album...there I said it.

I posted this the other day in the random thoughts thread, but since this thread got revived, posting it again here:

https://youtu.be/_8nhqewgciI

If anything, just watch from ~5:45 to the end…If you don’t feel anything, you might be dead on the inside. Just pure passion and emotion from Dave.

Okay, I’ll stop the American Baby love-fest now.
TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-10-2022, 08:58 PM   #1172
    MarvinBerry

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Bayou live rules. ODH Dave and Tim is good. The album version of AB is pretty good and so is the end of SAWG.
    MarvinBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2022, 06:01 AM   #1173
    C.S.
    I lurk you long time...

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jw209 View Post
    Don't blame you. I don't think it's as bad as Stand Up, but it's super-emblematic of the end of the golden era for DMB. Not sure if you were there to remember when it happened, but when it came out there was a lot of denial for a long time by both band and fans.
    Oh I was there. The amount of mental gymnastics I went through trying to justify and enjoy the album was heroic; I honestly believe the experience was mildly traumatic to my young psyche (I know, cry for me ).
    C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2022, 06:31 AM   #1174
    Slackdoodle

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by C.S. View Post
    Oh I was there. The amount of mental gymnastics I went through trying to justify and enjoy the album was heroic; I honestly believe the experience was mildly traumatic to my young psyche (I know, cry for me ).

YUP, same here. You think about where we were: having come from the greatness of the Big 3, then Everyday arrives and sounds nothing like the band we loved, then Busted Stuff tries to reclaim the LWS but doesn't quite do it justice... we were all hyped for a "return to form" with Stand Up, and American Baby seemed promising-ish....

But yeah. I remember feeling deeply empty after my first full listen to Stand Up. Just pure disappointment that I tried like hell to rationalize away. That's the thing with music, though--your ears and your soul know it, there's no lying to them.
    Slackdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2022, 06:49 AM   #1175
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    i'm definitely going to listen to stand up tonight in its entirety
    it was a decent revisit for background noise. always have enjoyed the production on this album though i listen to it seldomly. i remember id crank it from my bedroom window while washing the car in the driveway below.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2022, 10:24 AM   #1176
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I remember after first listening to it, I went back and rechecked the packaging thinking it had, had to be a joke. I really thought the real disc might still be in there.
    At least the bonus disc with sugar will and trouble with you was in there, but yeah mental gymnastics it was.
    That's why I don't really understand the hype for the new album, after viewing what's been done in studio the past twenty years, with the exception of big whiskey, the albums have been disappointing.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2022, 11:49 AM   #1177
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

It's astounding to me how much better ymdt is than anything else on this album. It does ymdt such a disservice and is quite frankly criminal for this song to have to be looped into the rest of the garbage that is SU
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2022, 12:00 PM   #1178
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foreverford05 View Post
    It's astounding to me how much better ymdt is than anything else on this album. It does ymdt such a disservice and is quite frankly criminal for this song to have to be looped into the rest of the garbage that is SU

Lillywhite was floored by the song at Hartford 2012, which is funny considering Boyd missed his solo even with 11 cues by Dave to start it
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2022, 12:22 PM   #1179
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Lillywhite was floored by the song at Hartford 2012, which is funny considering Boyd missed his solo even with 11 cues by Dave to start it
    I think he was on mushrooms. I was in the pit at that show. I turned around when nancies started and he was literally standing right behind me staring at the stage like he’s never seen the band before. Huge open mouth grin. I don’t know if he was on mushrooms but the rest is true. Gave him a high 5 haha.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-11-2022, 12:29 PM   #1180
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Why do you say he was floored? Is there video of him there? I might be next to him haha
    Old 05-11-2022, 12:32 PM   #1181
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    I think he was on mushrooms. I was in the pit at that show. I turned around when nancies started and he was literally standing right behind me staring at the stage like he’s never seen the band before. Huge open mouth grin. I don’t know if he was on mushrooms but the rest is true. Gave him a high 5 haha.
    Quote:
    Why do you say he was floored? Is there video of him there? I might be next to him haha

Ha, that show was my first time to Hartford and the next time will be next month, he was raving about the song on social media after but it was all written and no video
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-13-2022, 02:33 PM   #1182
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I got to speak with him briefly as I was exiting the venue that night, he seemed like he was on something or other.

I think after hearing the rest of those 06 songs and the Batson leak, it makes stand up even worse. They could have released a pretty good album with the songs they had and chose not to. I could understand why roi was ready to call it quits at that point.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-13-2022, 03:48 PM   #1183
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Ha, that show was my first time to Hartford and the next time will be next month, he was raving about the song on social media after but it was all written and no video
    Was my first time there also. Did you happen to hang at the hotel with the ct crew?

Last edited by Gunz; 05-13-2022 at 03:50 PM.
    Old 05-13-2022, 04:26 PM   #1184
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    He also said that was one of the greatest concerts he's ever attended. Which is surprising, he's seen them several times in the 90s. But that was a great show.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2022, 05:03 AM   #1185
    C.S.
    I lurk you long time...

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    YMDT is a very "meh" song to me. It's always sounded like someone said "Hey Dave, write me a "Dave" riff in 20 seconds... GO!" and then YMDT pooped out.
    Old 05-16-2022, 05:51 AM   #1186
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    YMDT is a very "meh" song to me. It's always sounded like someone said "Hey Dave, write me a "Dave" riff in 20 seconds... GO!" and then YMDT pooped out.
    Which can be said for each SU track IMO. YMDT just translates so well live with the Jeff/Tim jams and such. Of course, others probably roll their eyes when they get it at their shows but I always really enjoy the shit out of it.
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2022, 06:48 AM   #1187
    C.S.
    I lurk you long time...

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Which can be said for each SU track IMO. YMDT just translates so well live with the Jeff/Tim jams and such. Of course, others probably roll their eyes when they get it at their shows but I always really enjoy the shit out of it.
    Yeah, mine is a somewhat unpopular opinion. I wonder if my opinion would be different if it had released on another album, but probably not. Doesn't help that the only time I've gotten it at a show I was too far gone to remember it.
    Old 05-17-2022, 06:53 AM   #1188
    rain delay

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Stolen Away On 55th & 3rd moves me in ways that almost nothing on AFTW moves me.
    The sad sax riff makes the song. And it's probably the one track on the album where the drum loops actually work.
    rain delay is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2022, 09:40 AM   #1189
    PantalaNagaMan
    O! H!

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Listening to this album now as a 35-40 year old married father is incredibly different than listening to it as a Senior in High School.

I personally don't think the album is great in the sense of the fluidity and scope of the music as presented (but I am glad you enjoy it - music is subjective and should have differing views) - but what I find great is the relatability and the story Dave seems to being telling throughout it.

As a 35 year old father of a younger child my head is just as jumbled as the subjects of this album - but they are incredibly understandable subjects. Marriage, old love, old friends, new friends, exploration, excitement, fear, parenting, sexual exploration, political unrest, political fear, political hope, dreams.

I appreciate that he truly wrote what was most likely going through a newer fathers head and was honest about the majority of it (hoping Hello Again isn't a true story).

The Batson Sessions (including Stand Up) will never be a great album because I have always felt they were working on SO MUCH that they had so many good ideas that were finished - but weren't completed. We are seeing that with the evolution of a lot of these songs for the better.

Old Dirt Hill is a fantastic Dave and Tim song, and has grown organically in that direction (also Out of My Hands).

It's a fun listen. It's a nostalgic listen for me for where I was at it when it came out and the feelings I had during that time building relationships while listening to that album - and then listening to it in retrospect to where I am at now.

....with that said, "Here you go you dirty girl, try to love to uhhh." gives me significantly more of a cringe factor than it did 17 years ago.
    PantalaNagaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2022, 12:21 PM   #1190
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PantalaNagaMan View Post
    hoping Hello Again isn't a true story.

it is actually. Just not Dave's. This is storyteller-mode Dave. I'm pretty sure the Green River Killer was the lyrical inspiration for the song or who the narrator of the song is. He was caught in the early 2000s and on trial during this time. I believe he was living in the Seattle area when he was apprehended & tried, so I'm sure it was a regular news story around the time he would have been writing the song.
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2022, 01:13 PM   #1191
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PantalaNagaMan View Post
    Listening to this album now as a 35-40 year old married father is incredibly different than listening to it as a Senior in High School.

I personally don't think the album is great in the sense of the fluidity and scope of the music as presented (but I am glad you enjoy it - music is subjective and should have differing views) - but what I find great is the relatability and the story Dave seems to being telling throughout it.

As a 35 year old father of a younger child my head is just as jumbled as the subjects of this album - but they are incredibly understandable subjects. Marriage, old love, old friends, new friends, exploration, excitement, fear, parenting, sexual exploration, political unrest, political fear, political hope, dreams.

I appreciate that he truly wrote what was most likely going through a newer fathers head and was honest about the majority of it (hoping Hello Again isn't a true story).

The Batson Sessions (including Stand Up) will never be a great album because I have always felt they were working on SO MUCH that they had so many good ideas that were finished - but weren't completed. We are seeing that with the evolution of a lot of these songs for the better.

Old Dirt Hill is a fantastic Dave and Tim song, and has grown organically in that direction (also Out of My Hands).

It's a fun listen. It's a nostalgic listen for me for where I was at it when it came out and the feelings I had during that time building relationships while listening to that album - and then listening to it in retrospect to where I am at now.

....with that said, "Here you go you dirty girl, try to love to uhhh." gives me significantly more of a cringe factor than it did 17 years ago.
    Arguably the worst song this band has ever written and recorded. It was shit when it was released and the stench continues.
    Old 05-17-2022, 03:49 PM   #1192
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post
    Arguably the worst song this band has ever written and recorded. It was shit when it was released and the stench continues.

Nah, musically it ain’t that bad.

I think Can’t Stop, aka Free The Beast, wins the award for worst DMB song.
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote