the (2021) summer so far - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-25-2021, 11:42 AM   #61
FSUnTwoStepToo

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: the (2021) summer so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
Not much, no.

They need a violin and no rashawn Ross.
They had that for 15 years, those days are gone. I have a feeling 4.0 will be the last version of DMB. Enjoy what you got while you got it.
FSUnTwoStepToo is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-25-2021, 11:43 AM   #62
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    When I scored them I was surprised that Charlotte ended up lower. The highs were higher for me last night. SUAD, YNK, Raven but there were more 0, -1 last night as well.
    Same for me really
    If I was going based on true fell for a song, many would have been 2 but to keep it “fair” I did the 1/0/-1 thing

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FSUnTwoStepToo View Post
    They had that for 15 years, those days are gone. I have a feeling 4.0 will be the last version of DMB. Enjoy what you got while you got it.
    And that’s exactly why the earlier version of the band was far better.
    You are right though, enjoy what we can while we can

Last edited by willndmb; 07-25-2021 at 11:45 AM.
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 11:53 AM   #63
    FSUnTwoStepToo

Shows Seen: 54

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
    I agree that DMB 1.0 and 2.0 are my favorite versions, and I do get sad when I hear songs being played now that are ruined by cookie-cutter horn sections (I can barely listen to 4.0’s One Sweet World). But if I had to choose between what we have now and nothing, I’ll take 4.0 in a heartbeat.
    FSUnTwoStepToo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 11:54 AM   #64
    BringBackButchT

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by #41#36#40 View Post
    Ye! The sets were underwhelming and essentially the same thing they were doing in 18/19 with minor adjustments.. no effort.. yet.. to get more diverse songs into the set.. compare the N1 of this tour with the Chile show from 16 where they had an awesome mix of songs and new ones.. this seemed like what they do when they have a radio or tv or festival show.. just play it safe as possible.. you know Dave wanted to do a ddtw and everyday opener and just had to talk himself out out of it.. since that typically 2 of 4 of his standard openers for big shows.

I’m grateful they’re playing and will be excited to see them.. but they dropped the ball big time on those shows. And the album and not so much as mentioning 30 years.. most bands would have had a big party.. and there was a lot to celebrate and they treated it like it was a mid tour Tuesday night in Iowa..

I see very two very solid sets I'd be more than happy to experience. Grey Street with the 3rd verse, LLD with Branford, Minarets, Raven, SUAD, and 20 or so songs that aren't rare, but are songs I'm happy to hear any time. New tunes are always going to be polarizing but they're also pretty far from playing it safe (and I think they all have potential - they're far from the worst shit Dave has written in the last decade).

Also, Boyd sounded like shit in 2016 and brought the band down with him a lot of the time. I will take 2018 + over 2016 any day.

Last edited by BringBackButchT; 07-25-2021 at 11:55 AM.
    BringBackButchT is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 12:43 PM   #65
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Nobody mentioned Boyd.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 01:09 PM   #66
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I think what is frustrating is look at the vegas show from 2020 or some of the things Dave teased in his solo shows from home last year: SUAD, Up & Away, Break for It, Beach Ball. Then 2021 comes out with lackluster closers of Why I Am & Shake Me... They even left better staples Two Step, Ants, Watchtower, etc on the shelf. I remember seeing that 2020 vegas show and thinking 2020 was going to be a unique diverse tour before COVID. It seems it didn't transfer to 2021 at all. Discouraging to say the least but there is still time for the tour to warm up.
    Alpine416 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #67
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I can’t see how anyone could possibly be discouraged by two shows that featured new songs, rarities, the return to form on some tunes, and a tight sounding band that hasn’t really played together in 16 months. Based on the fact that they played Sweet, If Only, You and Me and closed a show with Shake Me? The fact that the sets looked as diverse as they did should be nothing more than encouraging. After those two shows I’m confident we’ll get our Dreaming Trees and Busted Stuffs down the road.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 02:00 PM   #68
    #41#36#40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Quick thoughts on the first weekend (pseudo 2 night run)

The Good
    Openers - #41 and Seek Up are very solid selections; would take either to open any show I go to
    Branford - as far as guests go, he is one I’m dying to see play with the band
    YNK/SUAD/Raven - all of these in 1 show is excellent. I really hope they stick around
    No non-new tune repeats! To me, that should be the expectation when you play a Friday/Saturday in venues less than 3 hours apart. I was not confident on this happening, but really happy to see it.

The Bad
    Set flow - especially N2, the set was very front loaded and the back half of the set really stalled out
    Dave’s voice - he’s still reaching for notes out of his range, particularly in new stuff. He can probably hit it in the studio, but live he is going to struggle. It’s what is making me dislike WATM - that first verse was a mess Friday; was cringing hearing him swing and miss on those vocal notes. It just seems he’s taken a completely new approach to singing and it’s lost a lot of his signature sound

The Ugly
    In 2021 (after a global pandemic and 15 months since the last show) seeing 6 Big Whiskey songs pop up in one show - 12 years after the album came out - is a big bummer, and has me reconsidering my summer plans to see the band (5 of these in the main set, and no BTCS in the main set, was more icing on the cake). Big Whiskey is a fine album. I like a lot of songs on it. But in my 28 shows since 2009, I’ve heard these same 6 songs at roughly half of all of my shows. I’m just tired of it - it’s been played to death. So that they’re still going to play these to death has me wondering if I really feel like traveling to see a show where 30% or so of it will be stuff I’ve seen a dozen+ time’s already. It’s not an insignificant expense or time commitment. I really would like to see something to indicate this tour will be different from 2018/2019.
    Yes agree with you on all counts. You articulate the ugly better than I have.. It’s not even that I hate or dislike big whiskey but it tends to dominate sets and the songs haven’t grown or changed much in 10 years.. and after so long off I had just hoped the core songs of 4.0 would be changed up quite a bit.. and the placement of them in the sets.. they are just so predictable.. I read last nights set and groaned out loud at that encore..
    #41#36#40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 02:01 PM   #69
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

It's been two shows after nearly 1.5 years off. Ain't no need getting worried yet. Beside at this point if you have high expectations for htis band you're getting yourself setup for disappinment.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #70
    #41#36#40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    I can’t see how anyone could possibly be discouraged by two shows that featured new songs, rarities, the return to form on some tunes, and a tight sounding band that hasn’t really played together in 16 months. Based on the fact that they played Sweet, If Only, You and Me and closed a show with Shake Me? The fact that the sets looked as diverse as they did should be nothing more than encouraging. After those two shows I’m confident we’ll get our Dreaming Trees and Busted Stuffs down the road.
    Maybe we do.. but we’ll get 25 sweets and if only to one or two dreaming trees and one busted stuff.
    #41#36#40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 02:06 PM   #71
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

band sounds good. Dave's voice was a bit rough that first night but sounded better the second night. setlists are what they are, I guess ya just gotta appreciate the highlights.
    Old 07-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #72
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Only shows I’m really considering now are MSG, Dave usually caters more to the hardcores there. Maybe Holmdel, they play good shows there sometimes.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #73
    Alexis17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by layla24mfh View Post
    If we play the +1/-/-1 game strictly based off set list, last night was a historically low number for me personally. I'm sure had I bought tickets and been there hearing live music in any form would have been awesome but they played a ton of songs I'd typically take a bathroom break/beer run for. Personal preference but WTWE, satellite, Y&M, Funny, If Only, space between, and Shake me are all at the bottom of what I want to hear at a DMB concert.
    5 of these songs are the length of Seek Up. It's why +1/-/-1 is a dumb system.
    Alexis17 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 02:46 PM   #74
    Bernie41
    2022 Setlist Game Champ

Shows Seen: 82

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    Only shows I’m really considering now are MSG, Dave usually caters more to the hardcores there. Maybe Holmdel, they play good shows there sometimes.
    If you are a NYer, what about SPAC?
    Bernie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 03:28 PM   #75
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Ants wanted the band to play slower, change the format of songs, have more setlist diversity, bring back the 3rd verse on Grey Street, stop playing certain songs in the same spots, etc.

Check
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 03:52 PM   #76
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BringBackButchT View Post
    Best 4.0 songs - Raven, Crush, Typical ... anything else?
    So Right
    Old 07-25-2021, 03:56 PM   #77
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
    Same for me really
    If I was going based on true fell for a song, many would have been 2 but to keep it “fair” I did the 1/0/-1 thing

I created the 1/0/-1 system. I think many here, not necessarily you, don't understand what the number represents. It doesn't measure how much you enjoy a show. It measures how much of a show you enjoy. Its an important distinction. A higher score means the set contained a high number of songs you enjoy. Not how much you enjoy them. So situations like this weekend happened. I enjoyed Charlotte more because of the bust outs like SUAD, YNK, and Raven but it got a lower score than Raleigh because that show had few if any songs I dont enjoy.
    Old 07-25-2021, 04:56 PM   #78
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

We still don’t know if the sets are diverse. Two shows don’t tell you anything. Let’s see what it looks like in a few weeks.

Cool the 3rd verse is back. Best part of the song. The end jam is still a wall of noise and nobody stands out because of it
    Old 07-25-2021, 04:58 PM   #79
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

The first show was solid for this format of DMB. I would’ve enjoyed that in the moment. Last night had some cool spots but the 2nd half of the show was rough. Nobody wants to hear the non radio stuff from BW
    Old 07-25-2021, 05:00 PM   #80
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    We still don’t know if the sets are diverse. Two shows don’t tell you anything. Let’s see what it looks like in a few weeks.

Cool the 3rd verse is back. Best part of the song. The end jam is still a wall of noise and nobody stands out because of it
    Yeah, seeing a lot of comments on set diversity.

I’ll take a look tomorrow, but I wonder how many songs played over the first two shows had 10+ plays in the prior 2 tours. A lot of the desire for diversity is better stated as “diversity from the last 2 tours”.

SUAD, YNK, and Raven popping up is awesome. But those could end up being 1-offs or relative tour rarities, and the 2018/2019 set structure largely remains in tact. Still a lot of time before we can say anything definitive.

But when a single album (and an album like BW in particular) is so heavily featured in a show, I don’t really understand how we can look at that and say the set is super diverse.
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 05:07 PM   #81
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not much, no.

They need a violin and no rashawn Ross.
    I'm perfectly happy with no violin, Buddy's organ is the main issue for me but overall they sound great

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BringBackButchT View Post
    Best 4.0 songs - Raven, Crush, Typical ... anything else?
    So Right, Grace is Gone

Through two shows I feel like having the number of repeats at zero is pretty good in terms of diversity, they aren't going to rotate 200 different songs all summer
    Old 07-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #82
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Through two shows I feel like having the number of repeats at zero is pretty good in terms of diversity, they aren't going to rotate 200 different songs all summer
    I don’t think anyone expects that.

But 3 straight full band summer tours failing to reach 100 songs is a trend, and that they didn’t hit in 2018/2019 with all the new stuff added to the catalog only adds fuel to that fire.

Hopefully they can keep things diverse from show to show. But the songs they’ve played so far have also been heavy rotation the past 2 years, so it’s hard not to think these are just part of the same bag of regular tunes they’ve trotted out the past 2 years. Hope to be wrong
    Old 07-25-2021, 05:20 PM   #83
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don’t think anyone expects that.

But 3 straight full band summer tours failing to reach 100 songs is a trend, and that they didn’t hit in 2018/2019 with all the new stuff added to the catalog only adds fuel to that fire.

Hopefully they can keep things diverse from show to show. But the songs they’ve played so far have also been heavy rotation the past 2 years, so it’s hard not to think these are just part of the same bag of regular tunes they’ve trotted out the past 2 years. Hope to be wrong

Most Ants - want setlist diversity

Me personally - don't care at all about diversity
    Old 07-25-2021, 05:22 PM   #84
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Most Ants - want setlist diversity

Me personally - don't care at all about diversity
    It all depends on what “diversity” means, I guess.

I want this tour to be different than 2018/2019.
    Old 07-25-2021, 05:25 PM   #85
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Here for the same old tired arguments of "the setlist stinks," "I don't like Jeff/Rashawn/Buddy" and "if you don't like it, leave."

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 05:30 PM   #86
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It all depends on what “diversity” means, I guess.

I want this tour to be different than 2018/2019.

If you wrote down your top 25 and they played them all every tour stop at the exclusion of other less common songs how would you feel? I would love going to a weekend knowing I was going to see my favorites and they'd be great shows
    Old 07-25-2021, 05:39 PM   #87
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you wrote down your top 25 and they played them all every tour stop at the exclusion of other less common songs how would you feel? I would love going to a weekend knowing I was going to see my favorites and they'd be great shows
    I’d be very happy - and it would meet the condition of “be different than 2018/2019”. 2 birds
    Old 07-25-2021, 05:42 PM   #88
    phoolhearted

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Before i start: Fan since 02, first show 2007.

I've said this before on these boards, and I'll say it again now... One of the best things you can do for yourself as a DMB fan is take a break from seeing this band live. I saw shows consistenly from 2007 - 2015. I did a five show stretch of tour in 2012. Saw one show in '13, '14, and '15. Then I stopped. I saw other bands. Lots of other bands.

I was in Raleigh on Friday night, and it was a fantastic show. The energy was unreal, the crowd was great. The playing was tight as fuck all around. Buddy adds a much needed dimension to this band. (I love Boyd, and will never besmirch his contributions to this band). Seen Branford on LLD twice (2010, and 2021) and Friday night was absolutely incredible. To see anyone that Jerry Garcia gave the nod to play with DMB is a treat and a half.

After 6 years of no shows (and just listening to the highlights here and there), Friday night was impeccable.

If you're waiting for 2021 DMB to sound like 1998 DMB you're wasting your time. Take a break and come back. You'll fall in love all over again.
    phoolhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2021, 06:25 PM   #89
    rhd9b
    wahoos

Shows Seen: 86

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoolhearted View Post
    Before i start: Fan since 02, first show 2007.

I've said this before on these boards, and I'll say it again now... One of the best things you can do for yourself as a DMB fan is take a break from seeing this band live. I saw shows consistenly from 2007 - 2015. I did a five show stretch of tour in 2012. Saw one show in '13, '14, and '15. Then I stopped. I saw other bands. Lots of other bands.

I was in Raleigh on Friday night, and it was a fantastic show. The energy was unreal, the crowd was great. The playing was tight as fuck all around. Buddy adds a much needed dimension to this band. (I love Boyd, and will never besmirch his contributions to this band). Seen Branford on LLD twice (2010, and 2021) and Friday night was absolutely incredible. To see anyone that Jerry Garcia gave the nod to play with DMB is a treat and a half.

After 6 years of no shows (and just listening to the highlights here and there), Friday night was impeccable.

If you're waiting for 2021 DMB to sound like 1998 DMB you're wasting your time. Take a break and come back. You'll fall in love all over again.
    Problem is most of us probably wonder how much longer they can possibly do this, and therefore don’t want to take time off. That said, I’m not part of the crowd that whines about setlists. I go for a good time, to get drunk and dance, and hear some great music. Only thing I whine about is 20 minute Jimi Things after seeing them 80ish times.
    Old 07-25-2021, 06:41 PM   #90
    TurboPGT

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bearclaw_ View Post
    This band is the best they’ve sounded in a long time.

They played two nights so far and the only repeats were the new songs.

I will say, I think Charlotte blew Raleigh out of the water.
    they literally sound the worst they have sounded in a long time, because every day that goes by we get further away from the last time they sounded good, so now every day is the worst they’ve ever sounded.
    TurboPGT is offline   Reply With Quote