New Album Coming Soon? - Page 206 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old Today, 12:27 PM   #6151
Moose Thompson
F Them Kids

Shows Seen: 35

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

At this point I just hope I outlive Dave so I can be around when his estate releases everything from the vault.
Moose Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old Today, 12:51 PM   #6152
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 34

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moose Thompson View Post
    At this point I just hope I outlive Dave so I can be around when his estate releases everything from the vault.
    I keep thinking that if they had any notion, just the slightest inkling, of how the industry was going to change, they'd've released a ton more stuff (archival or otherwise) so they could make some money off it.

That said, they did...tLWS leak and Napster should've clued them into the insane demand for material from their fans while starting and further pointing to a time where people would no longer actually buy music from artists...

The writing was on the wall. Now, I'm not so sure there's going to be enough money made from releasing that type of stuff to justify the effort in the distant future...especially given the waining fanship (based solely on music sales and amount of tix/asses in concert seats).

Realistically, the best time is now as most of their fans have disposable income, interest in/desire for, love/nostalgia, and more for the band and their music. People would buy multiple formats each w/ unique bonus material(s)...vinyl (various ltd colors), CDs, DLs...whatever. Each year that goes by this interest6 fades.
    grilldanmo is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 01:16 PM   #6153
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 54

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    This is so DMB. This album's totally getting shelved.

No itís not.

They never put out a timeline.
    Old Today, 01:20 PM   #6154
    grilldanmo

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    No itís not.

Yet another attempt to throw us off the scent of the surprise drop that you know is coming...pretty clever...
    Old Today, 02:35 PM   #6155
    bowa36
    code magenta

Shows Seen: 0

remember when people were hyped about a single dropping before the start of the tour? lol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strider_BTCS View Post
    Year 12 of the Big Whiskey album tour
    bowa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 02:41 PM   #6156
    grilldanmo

We're going through five stages of grief...with fluidity as opposed to working through each step in "order".

Anger and depression seem to be ruling the day, with a splash of acceptance. No one's really touching on denial or bargaining at this point...
    Old Today, 02:50 PM   #6157
    Dagwin

Shows Seen: 23

Quote:
    DMB has evolved. As do most bands over 30 years. Batson did not change a damn thing about Carter in the live setting. Carterís age and attrition on his body are the only 2 things that have affected his love playing.
    I agree that they have evolved. No doubt about it. And unfortunately, my taste in music did not evolve in the same direction.

I can't try to manufacture enthusiasm for a band that does this simply because they used to be my favorite band. I can't force myself to like their new stuff, as much as I wish I really did.

Rush did the same thing. They evolved in a direction I didn't like, as well.

Tool, however, continue to impress me. I'm happy about that, at least.
    Dagwin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 02:56 PM   #6158
    kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 19

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dagwin View Post
    I agree that they have evolved. No doubt about it. And unfortunately, my taste in music did not evolve in the same direction.

I can't try to manufacture enthusiasm for a band that does this simply because they used to be my favorite band. I can't force myself to like their new stuff, as much as I wish I really did.

what is the point of this post

Go on a Tool forum and tell the fans on there how impressed you are

Last edited by kelchlsm; Today at 02:57 PM.
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 03:02 PM   #6159
    grilldanmo

Quote:

Which evolution lost you. Rush went on a wonderful journey, one of my favorite in music. From
    - Zeppelin-esque explorations
    - to more progressive journeys,
    - adding keys,
    - getting into some simpler song structures,
    - the Police influence with
    -- Alex dropping the distortion coinciding with
    -- Neal exploring electronic drums,
    - getting heavier again
    - doubling that and getting back to their more riff-based roots
    - meandering a bit...they did this a few times...
    - getting back to that progressive and story telling near the end

I LOVED that they wouldn't sit still. They didn't live or create in a musical vacuum. If they liked something that was happening in modern music, they'd incorporate into some of their songs or even whole albums. The Beatles, Stones, Bowie, Queen, Genesis, and others have done this as well. I've always found it inspiring, even given that they had to fail at times...sometimes more than once.
    Old Today, 03:07 PM   #6160
    resumesomething

Shows Seen: 10

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    remember when people were hyped about a single dropping before the start of the tour? lol
    Yes, wasn't that right after Alagia flew to Charlottesville from LA with the final mix to be approved? Lots of descending upon Charlottesville happened at the end of June beginning of July.

Evidently it wasn't approved.
    resumesomething is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 03:23 PM   #6161
    Dagwin

Shows Seen: 23

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    what is the point of this post

Go on a Tool forum and tell the fans on there how impressed you are
    Point of post was responding to someone that spoke about DMB evolving. Try to stay with us.
    Dagwin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 03:31 PM   #6162
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

Quote:
    Point of post was responding to someone that spoke about DMB evolving. Try to stay with us.
    I followed you... have a similar feeling. It also recently made me realize that Dream Theater is, by default, my favorite band. They have 14 (soon to be 15) albums and none of them are duds to my ears.

DMB is starting to rack up more duds with their 'evolution' than they have actual good stuff.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 04:38 PM   #6163
    grilldanmo

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    I followed you... have a similar feeling. It also recently made me realize that Dream Theater is, by default, my favorite band. They have 14 (soon to be 15) albums and none of them are duds to my ears.

DMB is starting to rack up more duds with their 'evolution' than they have actual good stuff.
    I consider myself a pretty big DT fan, but it was really their first four or five albums. When Dream & Day Unite grabbed my right away, love that album. I wasn't sure what to expect when Images and Words dropped...didn't even know they had a new singer. I&W remains their high water mark for me. Metropolis was the last album of theirs that I really enjoyed. I haven't bought an album of theirs since Train of Thought and have only given a listen or two to their remaining albums.

But this is on par with lots of bands. DT is still great and I still love the music, but we don't all continue the journey with every band or we may just drop out for a bit. I've dropped in and out with Rush, DMB, Anthrax, the Gorillaz, Sarah McLachlan, Sting, Yes, U2, Petty, RHCP, the Macca, King's X, Harry Connick, Jr., Fiona Apple, and others. The lists of bands/artists that I've stopped following after a certain point is too long, as is the list of artists that I've followed since I was first introduced to them, including their other projects, Nickel Creek is one of those bands.

I'm hoping that we get new music from DMB sooner than later and that it's something we can enjoy, but it won't affect my fanship either way. Maybe I avoid that album tour if I don't enjoy it. That said, I've enjoyed most of what I've heard so far, so I've feeling positive about what we might get...if we ever get it.
    Old Today, 04:49 PM   #6164
    KSU823

Shows Seen: 13

Quote:
    No itís not.

Bruce,
    Is it more that the album isnít ready yet or they are waiting for a better time to release it (ie: put the album out for a spring tour)?
    KSU823 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 04:56 PM   #6165
    grilldanmo

I remember Dave saying we wouldn't have so long for a new album...there was some interview that talked about 2020...I get why that didn't happen from a touring/promotional perspective (DMB's std operating procedure). Supposedly they had an album's worth of stuff that they didn't make the cut for CT, it would have been cool if they'd just released that AND still written and recorded the album we're all hoping for now.

Sorry, broken record. I'm like a junky folks, hungry for new music...sorry again...
    Old Today, 05:25 PM   #6166
    #MDMBGA

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    I remember Dave saying we wouldn't have so long for a new album...there was some interview that talked about 2020...I get why that didn't happen from a touring/promotional perspective (DMB's std operating procedure). Supposedly they had an album's worth of stuff that they didn't make the cut for CT, it would have been cool if they'd just released that AND still written and recorded the album we're all hoping for now.

Sorry, broken record. I'm like a junky folks, hungry for new music...sorry again...
    Looks like youíre fix wonít be coming soon. Mixing was supposedly done in June. Then Buddy doing vocals during the tour? Letís not kid ourselves and pretend we donít know the history of how DMB operates. These Covid Sessions are probably shelved.
    #MDMBGA is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 06:11 PM   #6167
    adamreichle22
    Milton

Shows Seen: 53

Quote:

CT was essentially the end result from Dave saying the band was getting to work on a super-quick Stand Up turnaround in 2006 (Batson sessions). It only took 12 years for like 3 of those songs to be released.

Not saying that I think anything is shelved, but I'm not sure there's anything you can trust less than statements like these from Dave in random interviews.

adamreichle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 07:37 PM   #6168
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ccrules2791 View Post
    Part of me wonders if itís just cause Carter and Stefan went down for a bit. Iím honestly only confident on Walk Around the Moon and Windows making it lol
    Iím not even 100% confident in Windows making it. I think Walk Around the Moon is a lock, and I think the other 3 have a good shot, but not super confident.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 07:42 PM   #6169
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevinmavs View Post
    I bet we get Gorge or SPAC for xmas trax.
    I think SPAC n2. We only have two releases from SPAC (1996, 2000) It seems time for a more modern release from there, and it was a damn good show
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 08:15 PM   #6170
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

Quote:
    I consider myself a pretty big DT fan, but it was really their first four or five albums. When Dream & Day Unite grabbed my right away, love that album. I wasn't sure what to expect when Images and Words dropped...didn't even know they had a new singer. I&W remains their high water mark for me. Metropolis was the last album of theirs that I really enjoyed. I haven't bought an album of theirs since Train of Thought and have only given a listen or two to their remaining albums.

But this is on par with lots of bands. DT is still great and I still love the music, but we don't all continue the journey with every band or we may just drop out for a bit. I've dropped in and out with Rush, DMB, Anthrax, the Gorillaz, Sarah McLachlan, Sting, Yes, U2, Petty, RHCP, the Macca, King's X, Harry Connick, Jr., Fiona Apple, and others. The lists of bands/artists that I've stopped following after a certain point is too long, as is the list of artists that I've followed since I was first introduced to them, including their other projects, Nickel Creek is one of those bands.

I'm hoping that we get new music from DMB sooner than later and that it's something we can enjoy, but it won't affect my fanship either way. Maybe I avoid that album tour if I don't enjoy it. That said, I've enjoyed most of what I've heard so far, so I've feeling positive about what we might get...if we ever get it.
    WowÖ not a lot of people were fans with their first album. Itís kinda like R2T with DMB.

I can see losing interest thoughÖ especially around ToT. Thatís when they got very heavy. Theyíve come back to a more melodic sound with the past few albums.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 09:27 PM   #6171
    crawfish

Quote:

Kinda off topic but I Afterglow is one of my favorite albums. I LOVE that record!
    crawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old Today, 09:54 PM   #6172
    kenticus

Shows Seen: 6

I kind of agree with those losing faith as the tour rolls on with no news or additional new songs rolling out - you’d hope for SOMETHING, some kind of light that would tell you that they’re actually gonna drop the thing. But here we are - 3 new songs + windows and we don’t know much else. At least we have soundboard Sirius rips of all the new tunes?
    kenticus is offline   Reply With Quote