Best Mattress? - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 02-25-2018, 09:13 PM   #61
Climb2safety
Free your mind

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Best Mattress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
Hammock > Mattress and it's not even close as far as comfort, sleep quality, and way better for back/bones/body
You can’t exactly sleep on your stomach right? And where does the dog and gf go?

I could never do a hammock personally.

This town is nuts, my kind of place. I don't never ever want to leave....
Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-26-2018, 06:34 AM   #62
    TimHonks

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Looking to purchase my first King bed for the new house. Leesa is the leading contender right now, any thoughts or suggestions on similar but better options?
    TimHonks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #63
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    I have a Saatva and it's absolutely awesome.
    hashtag me too
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2018, 07:01 AM   #64
    TimHonks

My Tour Central Stats

Never heard of Saatva. Looks like a slightly more expensive Leesa. Any noticeable benefits or reason why you chose that over the other options? (Leesa, Casper, Purple, etc.)
    Old 02-26-2018, 07:11 AM   #65
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimHonks View Post
    Looking to purchase my first King bed for the new house. Leesa is the leading contender right now, any thoughts or suggestions on similar but better options?
    This site's review of the Nectar spoke to me, I think because it's a couple and he frequently makes mention of his weight vs his wife's and how that affects things. Also they said the Nectar is the one they sleep on when they're not trying and reviewing other mattresses.

Leesa sounds too soft for me, but I still have a lot more research to do.

https://www.memoryfoamtalk.com/reviews/
    GSUdawg521 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2018, 07:20 AM   #66
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

Are you guys using Saatva or the Loom & Leaf by Saatva? The latter sounds good too.
    Old 02-26-2018, 07:27 AM   #67
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

I have a Saatva Luxury Firm.
    Old 02-26-2018, 08:22 AM   #68
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ascf33 View Post
    I have a Saatva Luxury Firm.
    Samesies.

The reason I went with Saatva over some of the other popular online mattresses is because it's a traditional mattress with really nice pillow top. I am not a huge fan of memory foam and didn't think I'd like one, so I went with the Saatva.
    Old 02-26-2018, 08:22 AM   #69
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    A lot of people. I wish I could. It’s honestly a way better nights sleep. I hammock when I go camping, maybe 30ish nights per year.
    I mean, I love hammocks when camping too. Just couldn't picture using one at home. Or if so, can't picture it being practical at all.
    Old 02-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #70
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    We bought a a mattress in August, and after looking at all of the popular 'memory foam mattress in a box' brands (Casper, Purple, Ghostbed, etc...) we realized that there are a lot of more generic branded ones that are basically the same thing for a fraction of the price.

After reading a ton of reviews on different ones, we decided to take the plunge on this one. We figured, for $300 if we don't like it or it wears out after 6 months, we're not out very much $$. It's been fantastic and we're really glad we went with this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Ultima-...12%2Binch&th=1

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2018, 09:07 AM   #71
    TimHonks

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    We bought a a mattress in August, and after looking at all of the popular 'memory foam mattress in a box' brands (Casper, Purple, Ghostbed, etc...) we realized that there are a lot of more generic branded ones that are basically the same thing for a fraction of the price.

After reading a ton of reviews on different ones, we decided to take the plunge on this one. We figured, for $300 if we don't like it or it wears out after 6 months, we're not out very much $$. It's been fantastic and we're really glad we went with this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Ultima-...12%2Binch&th=1
    Wow, that is a pretty great price. My brain is making me think there has to be a negative reason it's priced so low, but good to hear you are still enjoying it. Might have to do some more research on this one.
    Old 02-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #72
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    A lot of people. I wish I could. It’s honestly a way better nights sleep. I hammock when I go camping, maybe 30ish nights per year.
    No volatile organic compounds and concerns with off-gassing from the vast majority of hammocks either, no synthetic foam compounds and in the US unlike many mattresses they'd also be free of Poly Brominated Diphenyl Ethers (banned in Canada, used as flame retardants in the US).

We're in the market for a new bed, these days it's probably a 50% minimal increase to find a bet that's free from synthetic foams. So a king mattress we're looking at around CDN$3000.

Peeps should make sure if they are buying a mattress with synthetic foams that they're CertiPUR-US foams. (http://certipur.us/)

I would love to crash in a hammock, spent many a night on the beach in a hammock in my formative years in Grand Cayman.

Last edited by dobyblue; 02-26-2018 at 09:20 AM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #73
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    No volatile organic compounds and concerns with off-gassing from the vast majority of hammocks either, no synthetic foam compounds and in the US unlike many mattresses they'd also be free of Poly Brominated Diphenyl Ethers (banned in Canada, used as flame retardants in the US).

We're in the market for a new bed, these days it's probably a 50% minimal increase to find a bet that's free from synthetic foams. So a king mattress we're looking at around CDN$3000.

Peeps should make sure if they are buying a mattress with synthetic foams that they're CertiPUR-US foams. (http://certipur.us/)

I would love to crash in a hammock, spent many a night on the beach in a hammock in my formative years in Grand Cayman.
    This is another reason why I didn't go memory foam.
    Old 02-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #74
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Wow, that is a pretty great price. My brain is making me think there has to be a negative reason it's priced so low, but good to hear you are still enjoying it. Might have to do some more research on this one.
    Yeah, that was my biggest hangup as well. But the reviews were generally great (and lots of them) and the king size version of this mattress was basically 25% of the cost of a king size Purple. (Not even mentioning the $2,000-$3,000 big name brand adjustable ones my wife was looking at...) When you look at the specs, they're super similar.

Purple:
    Top Layer: 2” Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ material in Smart Comfort Grid™
    Middle Layer: 3.5” 1.8 lbs density polyurethane foam
    Base Layer: 4” 2.0 lbs density polyurethane foam

Zinus:
    3 inches Memory Foam
    3 inches Pressure Relieving Comfort Foam
    6 inches High-density Base Support Foam

We're about 6 months in with it and no complaints at all. We just used our existing box spring from our old mattress with it, but you can buy a platform or box spring for it separately. Really made me realize with these other brands you're just paying for the name.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #75
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Climb2safety View Post
    You can’t exactly sleep on your stomach right? And where does the dog and gf go?

I could never do a hammock personally.

Flat on your stomach is a bit of a challenge but I’ve done it, yeah. More like I’ve woken up on my stomach.

They do make double hammocks for two people but they’re not as comfortable as singles.

They actually make hammocks dogs can sleep in too! They go under your hammock. They’re usually used for hiking gear, to keep it off the ground, but I’ve seen em used for dogs before. It’s pretty rad.

But more to your point, unless I had pretty severe back issues I wouldn’t sleep in a hammock at home if I had a family/slam piece. But hammocks are fucking phenomenal to sleep in.
    Old 02-26-2018, 10:33 AM   #76
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

I’ve flat out never slept better than in my Hennessy expedition asym. I’d love to have one set up in my room as an alternative to my bed. I don’t think I’ll ever completely get rid of a mattress, but I will definitely have a hammock in my room eventually.
    Old 02-26-2018, 06:32 PM   #77
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

Eh so much for more research. I just decided to pull the trigger on the Nectar. Only inconvenience if I don't like it is moving my current mattress back from the adjacent bedroom and going back to the drawing board. Will report back.
    Old 02-27-2018, 06:29 AM   #78
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

All of these places have like 100 night trial periods so if it sucks, send it back.
    Old 02-27-2018, 06:44 AM   #79
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ascf33 View Post
    All of these places have like 100 night trial periods so if it sucks, send it back.
    What I had said about Nectar was it's a 365 day trial. Can't beat that!

Also at least one that I looked into but didn't want to go with for other reasons would still charge you a shipping fee to return within the trial period.
    Old 03-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #80
    TimHonks

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GSUdawg521 View Post
    Eh so much for more research. I just decided to pull the trigger on the Nectar. Only inconvenience if I don't like it is moving my current mattress back from the adjacent bedroom and going back to the drawing board. Will report back.
    Any update on this? Heard a major complaint is slow shipping - have you received?

Can't believe I'm having so much trouble deciding something that has little/no risk. Deciding between:

Leesa
    Nectar
    Saatva
    Zinus
    Old 03-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #81
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Any update on this? Heard a major complaint is slow shipping - have you received?

Can't believe I'm having so much trouble deciding something that has little/no risk. Deciding between:

Leesa
    Nectar
    Saatva
    Zinus
    That's what I was worried about too but I figured I could wait, wasn't really in NEED of a new one. But alas, I ordered on the 26th and it even said if you order today, your order will ship tomorrow. Got shipping confirmation the morning of the 28th. Got delivered on the 5th. And that was from California to Atlanta.

So I've had a week to sleep on it and no complaints really. It's firmer than I expected, though not to say it's a super firm bed or that it's bad; I prefer firm. Just that the review I liked was of a 230lb guy saying he sunk (comfortably) into it. I weigh more and I still feel like I'm just laying on the top of it

Have had good solid sleeps without any particular pain. I think with my previous bed that was a little too soft, especially when I slept in longer on the weekends, I would wake up with a little lower back soreness, maybe because I'd end up on my stomach. I don't think that's an issue with this one.

My wife on the other hand usually prefers a softer bad. She hasn't complained about that per se, but she has been feeling like she's had sore shoulders. But she's also just entering her 2nd trimester of pregnancy so not sure if it's more from that. The good thing is with a year-long trial, she'll be well-past pregnant before we have to decide if we wanna keep it

Last edited by GSUdawg521; 03-13-2018 at 11:43 AM.
    Old 03-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #82
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

I felt the same way about the Zinus, FWIW. Firmer than I anticipated it would be, but not in a bad way as I prefer a firmer bed. (And I am a larger guy too.)

One thing I always wonder about with these expandable mattresses - if you did want to send one back, how in the hell would you do it? There's no possible way you could shrink it back down to get it back in the box. Do they send someone to pick it up? I work for a major online retailer, we sell a few different brands of these on our site and if one arrives damaged/defective/whatever and is eligible to be returned, we just issue a refund and don't require the customer to send it back.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #83
    TimHonks

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I felt the same way about the Zinus, FWIW. Firmer than I anticipated it would be, but not in a bad way as I prefer a firmer bed. (And I am a larger guy too.)

One thing I always wonder about with these expandable mattresses - if you did want to send one back, how in the hell would you do it? There's no possible way you could shrink it back down to get it back in the box. Do they send someone to pick it up? I work for a major online retailer, we sell a few different brands of these on our site and if one arrives damaged/defective/whatever and is eligible to be returned, we just issue a refund and don't require the customer to send it back.
    Leesa schedules a pickup at your home - I assume most are similar.

"Our pickup team will retrieve the mattress or foundation no matter where you are with no additional effort or cost on your part. Once we verify the pickup we'll refund your purchase."
    Old 03-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #84
    ricky towel

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

We have ghostbed and love it.
    ricky towel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #85
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Quote:
    Leesa schedules a pickup at your home - I assume most are similar.

"Our pickup team will retrieve the mattress or foundation no matter where you are with no additional effort or cost on your part. Once we verify the pickup we'll refund your purchase."
    Yep same for Nectar. They also apparently donate your mattress somewhere so buyers are never getting a used mattress.
    Old 03-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #86
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

Oh I also meant to say, one negative but not really, just something I'm getting used to with a memory foam vs. box spring, is you can't like jump or collapse onto it. It's not soft or bouncy enough. It's like falling on a carpeted floor or something
    Old 03-14-2018, 05:55 AM   #87
    monkeyman420

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I bought a Zinus off of Amazon a few weeks ago and I love the mattress. It was 40% off and I had a $100 gift card so the queen mattress ended up costing me $100. I figured for that price I couldn't go wrong and so far it's been great. It's a little firmer than I thought it would be but I don't mind. I've been sleeping better the last few weeks which is awesome. The only complaint I have is that there is still a slight chemical odor which I am hoping goes away once it gets nicer out and I can open the windows in my room and house.

As for returns, I have a friend who bought the King size Zinus off Amazon and ended up not liking it as it's too firm for him. He contacted Amazon about returning it and they told him to keep it and credited his account. He's trying to sell it now on Craigslist.
    monkeyman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2018, 07:26 AM   #88
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyman420 View Post
    I bought a Zinus off of Amazon a few weeks ago and I love the mattress. It was 40% off and I had a $100 gift card so the queen mattress ended up costing me $100. I figured for that price I couldn't go wrong and so far it's been great. It's a little firmer than I thought it would be but I don't mind. I've been sleeping better the last few weeks which is awesome. The only complaint I have is that there is still a slight chemical odor which I am hoping goes away once it gets nicer out and I can open the windows in my room and house.

As for returns, I have a friend who bought the King size Zinus off Amazon and ended up not liking it as it's too firm for him. He contacted Amazon about returning it and they told him to keep it and credited his account. He's trying to sell it now on Craigslist.
    I've really been super happy with it and you can't beat the price. Honestly, you're just paying for the name factor when you pay 3-4x as much for a Ghostbed/Casper/Purple/whatever. There were plenty of other 'no name' brands on Amazon and other sites that had similar really good reviews to the Zinus too.

I read other reviews that mentioned the odor, but I never noticed that at all with mine.

It's nice that Amazon just gave him a refund! That's definitely the one big risk to buying a mattress online is that everyone has different preferences so what's perfect to one person might be too soft or too firm to someone else. I was surprised at how firm the Zinus was, but in a good way. I've never had a memory foam mattress before this one and I was anticipating 'sinking' into it more. It's got enough give to feel soft but is really supportive.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:46 AM   #89
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

My Tour Central Stats

How long have y'all had your Zinus?

Certain types of things I like to see people writing reviews after having them a while or at least updating. I saw one looking at the first page where someone said it didn't seem to be holding up after a year.

I also see a lot of people mentioning getting hot while sleeping on it.
    Old 03-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #90
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

After going through 3 memory foam mattresses from various brands over 2 years and hating all of them my wife and I went to a local furnishing store that builds their own mattress sets.

I think they use components that they import from a Scandinavian supplier. No synthetic materials, no petrochemicals, no VOCs. Everything is real metal, wool, cotton, and natural latex. Instead of a box spring they use a low profile wooden slat system that is "tune-able" for different support in different places. All components can be mixed and matched so each side of the bed can be built to support a specific person. It took several sessions of testing out but we finally got the bed set up we wanted. Best sleep and comfort I've ever had. Hype specs for the mattress are below. I'll look when I get home and see which supplier the components came from, I'm assuming there are many stores that do these same custom builds.

• Two layers of nested coils for firm yet flexible support with a plush, luxurious feel
    • 100% Natural latex for a soft and flexible surface feel
    • Breathable wool-lined cotton cover for cool, dry sleep
    • 1,500 pre-compressed German pocketed micro-coils
    • 945 nested Swedish base-coils
    • Four firmnesses to choose from—dual-sided for couples with no motion transfer
    • Ecologically healthy components, built for sustained performance over the life of the mattress
    • Supports comfortable side and back sleeping

Last edited by snake911; 03-14-2018 at 10:38 AM.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote