Guests - the best live versions of songs don’t feature guests, except... - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-05-2021, 02:21 PM   #61
space_raven
crawling out the mud

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Guests - the best live versions of songs don’t feature guests, except...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshg View Post
I forgot how much Love of My Life is such a filthy, filthy song live.
Santana really brings the sex on this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb9howell View Post
No that's my bad. I am completely fucking murdered hammered. I can barley see the screen. I go eat now.
space_raven is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-05-2021, 03:26 PM   #62
    joshg

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Proudest Monkey w/Hugh Masekela: https://youtu.be/jmmODnes2XU

Louisiana Bayou w/Robert Randolph: https://youtu.be/tenPRs-MUXA

That LB with Robert Randolph is just an iconic DMB performance.
    joshg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2021, 04:49 PM   #63
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by space_raven View Post
    Santana really brings the sex on this one
    What's really interesting is when you realize that it's essentially Brahm's Symphony #3. (https://youtu.be/UH324lgbxaI)
    madhatter is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2021, 05:22 PM   #64
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
    Cortez the Killer with Warren Haynes Gorge 2011-- Face melted off

Cortez the Killer with Neil Young at Shoreline Bridge School Benefit.. Full band acoustic show with Neil guesting... Unreal.
    Warren was always amazing on Cortez - at CP the place was going absolutely nuts for that one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by space_raven View Post
    This version of JTR/John the Revelator/Rain Down on Me with Carlos Santana, Bela Fleck, and others from Giants Stadium on 5/25/99 has always been a favorite of mine.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HFrNdyO_Ywc
    That show was crazy, we didn't think they could top the year before with Bela and BVJ but wow was that a great show even if the lunch ladies drove the crowd nutty at times by wailing on and on seemingly forever.

6-10-97 at Jones Beach - Seek Up with Bela and Popper was nuts, easily the best I ever saw.

2-24-95 at Roseland - Watchtower with Popper and Trey, that venue was small and it felt like the place was going to fall over the fans were so into it and that place was as loud as seeing an insane Halloween at MSG during an early 2000's winter tour. I have seen so many guests on Watchtower it is amazing but this was head and shoulders above any other version I know of.

9-2-95 at the Meadows they did a Rhyme and Reason with David Ryan Harris that was crazy, they just nailed that. In fact any of those shows with DRH from summer/fall 1995 are great listens.

Last edited by Lcsulla; 06-05-2021 at 10:24 PM.
    Lcsulla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2021, 05:31 PM   #65
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lcsulla View Post
    That show was crazy, we didn't think they could top the year before with Bela and BVJ by wow was that a great show even if the lunch ladies drive the crowd nutty at times.

6-10-97 at Jones Beach - Seek Up with Bela and Popper was nuts, easily the best I ever saw.

2-24-95 at Roseland - Watchtower with Popper and Trey, that venue was small and it felt like the place was going to fall over the fans were so into it. I have seen so many guests on Watchtower it is amazing but this was head and shoulders above any other version I know of.

9-2-95 at the Meadows they did a Rhyme and Reason with David Ryan Harris that was crazy, they just nailed that. In fact any of those shows with DRH from summer/fall 1995 are great listens.
    I like your taste. Also, jealous you saw so many great shows!
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2021, 06:08 PM   #66
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    Just got lucky in timing - a girl I was seeing in HS (graduated in 1995) had a brother at UVA for my JR and SR years and he'd send us tapes of shows, finally got to see them live in Feb of 1995. Also great that I happened to live in CT where I could drive and see them in 3 different states with ease. Was fun back then when they were not as big, I paid $23.00 at the gate the day of for 2-5-95, 5th row center seats no less - my first show. Heck, by like 2002 I think I knew every first day WH member who went to the Hartford shows because we all had the same seats year after year after year! Miss those days!

Last edited by Lcsulla; 06-06-2021 at 09:09 PM.
    Old 06-05-2021, 08:31 PM   #67
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

2-24-95 at Roseland - Watchtower with Popper and Trey, that venue was small and it felt like the place was going to fall over the fans were so into it. I have seen so many guests on Watchtower it is amazing but this was head and shoulders above any other version I know of.

A couple of quick links of the gems that Lcsulla has outlined (really good stuff)

2.24.95 @ Roseland - All Along The Watchtower with Popper & Trey:
    Here

9.03.95 @ Jones Beach - Rhyme and Reason with David Ryan Harris (I couldn’t find 09.02.95):
    Here

06.10.97 @ Jones Beach - Seek Up with Bela & Popper:
    Here
    Old 06-05-2021, 09:26 PM   #68
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Guests - the best live versions of songs don’t feature guests, except...

My pick today is:

#41 (12.08.98 The Centrum, Worcester, MA), with Bela Fleck and Jeff Coffin (also on WH5 compilation). Never get tired of this one.
    Here
    Old 06-05-2021, 09:51 PM   #69
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    A couple of quick links of the gems that Lcsulla has outlined (really good stuff)

Here

9.03.95 @ Jones Beach - Rhyme and Reason with David Ryan Harris (I couldn’t find 09.02.95):
    Here

06.10.97 @ Jones Beach - Seek Up with Bela & Popper:
    Here
    Thank you very much for posting those links, I am extremely appreciative. Guessing once heard some of the newer fans will be blown away by these versions every bit as much as we were. Much obliged, be well and stay safe!

Quote:
    My pick today is:

#41 (12.08.98 The Centrum, Worcester, MA), with Bela Fleck and Jeff Coffin (also on WH5 compilation). Never get tired of this one.
    Here
    Oh hell yeah, I am still kicking myself for selling my ticket to that show to a friend. Was too close to Christmas and I could not justify the 3 hour drive each way plus a hotel. Saw the setlist popping up on their site in real time the night of and was getting more and more pissed at myself with each song that popped up for having to bail to save $200+ or so (even if I was only a JR in college working a few nights a week for mostly tips) to head up there because man did I miss a treat I would love to have seen!

Last edited by Lcsulla; 06-05-2021 at 10:29 PM.
    Old 06-05-2021, 10:21 PM   #70
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Here]

No worries on posting the night after I mentioned on this one, both were great to see but I thought the one in Hartford was better but perhaps I was jaded since it was the first time I saw Harris guest and was blown away.
    Old 06-06-2021, 08:34 AM   #71
    joshg

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Here

This was my go-to listen of AATW when first getting into the band. This version is the one where Dave channels Baba Sura at the end. Ballsy at the time.

Last edited by joshg; 06-06-2021 at 08:35 AM.
    Old 06-15-2021, 10:38 PM   #72
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Guests - the best live versions of songs don’t feature guests, except...

Quote:
    Warren was always amazing on Cortez - at CP the place was going absolutely nuts for that one.

That show was crazy, we didn't think they could top the year before with Bela and BVJ but wow was that a great show even if the lunch ladies drove the crowd nutty at times by wailing on and on seemingly forever.

2-24-95 at Roseland - Watchtower with Popper and Trey, that venue was small and it felt like the place was going to fall over the fans were so into it and that place was as loud as seeing an insane Halloween at MSG during an early 2000's winter tour. I have seen so many guests on Watchtower it is amazing but this was head and shoulders above any other version I know of.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post

Apart from the ones already mentioned, Lcsulla has seen so many shows with incredible guests. Check out his TourStats:

Guests Seen (Lcsulla]

Butch Taylor35
    Rashawn Ross14
    Brenda9
    Tawatha9
    Cindy7
    Bela Fleck4
    Eric Krasno3
    Jeff Coffin3
    John Popper3
    Robert Randolph3
    Warren Haynes3
    Xavier Rudd3
    David Ryan Harris2
    Eugenia2
    Tim Reynolds2
    Trey Anastasio2
    Benny Rietveld1
    Big Voice Jack Lerole1
    Buddy Miller1
    Carlos Santana1
    Chester Thompson1
    Dickie Betts1
    Dionne Farris1
    Emmylou Harris1
    Great Southern1
    Karl Perazzo1
    Mike Doughty1
    Neil Young1
    Sam Kininger1

At this point I am jealous too

Last edited by Xcacel; 06-15-2021 at 10:43 PM.
    Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #73
    resumesomething

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Possibly mentioned, but Two Step with Bela Fleck from LT 47 is really unique. 6.8.97.
    resumesomething is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-19-2021, 07:40 PM   #74
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Apart from the ones already mentioned, Lcsulla has seen so many shows with incredible guests. Check out his TourStats:

Guests Seen (Lcsulla]..............

At this point I am jealous too
    Yeah, I have been extremely lucky and it has been a damn fun ride if you want the truth. That is all it is though, just plain good luck having gotten into the band in early 1990's and growing up in an area (In CT, driving distance from NY and MA) where a great show was almost the rule rather than the exception as well as venues where guests lived relatively close too - heck back then Hartford, SPAC, MSG and Great Woods were practically mecca for DMB fans - right up there with places like Gorge and Alpine. No complaints, have had so much fun at shows and hanging out with the band before and after big shows, even still have half a bottle of vodka Dave gave me after one show to take back to the hotel when the band headed back to the hotel. Again, just plain luck but I wouldn't change it for anything. just wish that about a year ago a 2tb external with lossless tapes of every show I have been to plus a boatload or post 1995 soundboards, ALD's and IEM's didn't get ruined, will never find some of those tapes again.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by resumesomething View Post
    Possibly mentioned, but Two Step with Bela Fleck from LT 47 is really unique. 6.8.97.
    Yeah, that show was fun as well and a few years before they started tear gassing tailgaters up in the Meadows lots!
    Old 06-19-2021, 08:03 PM   #75
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Dionne Farris
    Damn, how on earth did I forget that, it was a first encore at the same show I noted the David Ryan Harris guesting on R&R! Just Dave and Dionne came out and did a great haunting version of Typical, gradually rest of the band started heading back to the stage and the moment the song ended they busted out a damn good Billies - though sadly both songs were truncated for time constraints and a concert curfew but wow was seeing her do that Typical was amazing! You appear to know where to find streams, perhaps you can post that if it is up somewhere. Guessing many people would love it, I would post an mp3 but apparently cannot do so anymore.

One of these days I really have to update my tour stats from 2009 until now, have seen some fun ones since what I last added.
    Old 06-19-2021, 08:27 PM   #76
    joshg

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, I have been extremely lucky and it has been a damn fun ride if you want the truth. That is all it is though, just plain good luck having gotten into the band in early 1990's and growing up in an area (In CT, driving distance from NY and MA) where a great show was almost the rule rather than the exception as well as venues where guests lived relatively close too - heck back then Hartford, SPAC, MSG and Great Woods were practically mecca for DMB fans - right up there with places like Gorge and Alpine. No complaints, have had so much fun at shows and hanging out with the band before and after big shows, even still have half a bottle of vodka Dave gave me after one show to take back to the hotel when the band headed back to the hotel. Again, just plain luck but I wouldn't change it for anything. just wish that about a year ago a 2tb external with lossless tapes of every show I have been to plus a boatload or post 1995 soundboards, ALD's and IEM's didn't get ruined, will never find some of those tapes again.

Yeah, that show was fun as well and a few years before they started tear gassing tailgaters up in the Meadows lots!
    Where in CT.?
    Old 06-19-2021, 08:38 PM   #77
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Where in CT.?
    Brookfield, not well known but I could hit a wiffleball into bethel from the mailbox and smack a baseball into Danbury if I got a few good hops on the street!

Yourself? You a CT person?
    Old 06-20-2021, 04:22 AM   #78
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Damn, how on earth did I forget that, it was a first encore at the same show I noted the David Ryan Harris guesting on R&R! Just Dave and Dionne came out and did a great haunting version of Typical, gradually rest of the band started heading back to the stage and the moment the song ended they busted out a damn good Billies - though sadly both songs were truncated for time constraints and a concert curfew but wow was seeing her do that Typical was amazing! You appear to know where to find streams, perhaps you can post that if it is up somewhere. Guessing many people would love it, I would post an mp3 but apparently cannot do so anymore.
    You name it, I’ll do the rest

https://mega.nz/file/qdBjwaLA#UNV3yT...oykNqSBUwt7YT8

PS too bad that you’ve lost 2TB of precious SBD IEM etc, but maybe you had shared these stuff with somebody that can help you back.
    Also, you may want to check out this:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
    Old 06-20-2021, 06:40 AM   #79
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Lie in Our Graves 5.19.2001 w/ Trey Anastasio, in San Francisco

https://mega.nz/file/TBxWUDya#07mDqA...hIYeAByW-i87MU
    Old 06-20-2021, 08:05 AM   #80
    joshg

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Brookfield, not well known but I could hit a wiffleball into bethel from the mailbox and smack a baseball into Danbury if I got a few good hops on the street!

Yourself? You a CT person?
    Yup. Fairfield. Meadows for DMB as my first.
    Old 06-20-2021, 05:18 PM   #81
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You name it, I’ll do the rest

https://mega.nz/file/qdBjwaLA#UNV3yT...oykNqSBUwt7YT8

PS too bad that you’ve lost 2TB of precious SBD IEM etc, but maybe you had shared these stuff with somebody that can help you back.
    Also, you may want to check out this:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
    Thank you for posting that, appreciate it. Apparently I am confusing that with another Dave solo 1st encore being a segue because Jones was end of tour so he thanked everyone prior to billies - oh well, I am cutting myself some slack, it was 25 years ago!

Wow on that persons list of tapes - he or she is as anal as I used to be in getting multiple recordings of various shows. Not sure I can afford a new external right now, I just dropped almost a grand yesterday afternoon on flights for the fall. You are correct, most of the rarer stuff was shared among certain boards quite often, I can only think of 2 shows off the top of my head that will be tougher to eventually replace and that is only because I tracked and seeded the shows myself from a buddies DAT back in 2002.

Quote:
    Yup. Fairfield. Meadows for DMB as my first.
    Nice, used to be in Fairfield fairly often - in summer up at Fairfield Beach when I was in HS, had a friend at FU, played in some soccer tournaments up there and there was about the only soccer store in CT on the Black Rock Turnpike. Great area.
    Old 06-20-2021, 05:43 PM   #82
    joshg

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thank you for posting that, appreciate it. Apparently I am confusing that with another Dave solo 1st encore being a segue because Jones was end of tour so he thanked everyone prior to billies - oh well, I am cutting myself some slack, it was 25 years ago!

Wow on that persons list of tapes - he or she is as anal as I used to be in getting multiple recordings of various shows. Not sure I can afford a new external right now, I just dropped almost a grand yesterday afternoon on flights for the fall. You are correct, most of the rarer stuff was shared among certain boards quite often, I can only think of 2 shows off the top of my head that will be tougher to eventually replace and that is only because I tracked and seeded the shows myself from a buddies DAT back in 2002.

Nice, used to be in Fairfield fairly often - in summer up at Fairfield Beach when I was in HS, had a friend at FU, played in some soccer tournaments up there and there was about the only soccer store in CT on the Black Rock Turnpike. Great area.
    Fairfield High School alum. Y'know when John Mayer sings about running through the halls of his high school?

I saw him walking through the halls of his high school. Near the gym usually.

Last edited by joshg; 06-20-2021 at 05:45 PM.
    Old 06-20-2021, 06:01 PM   #83
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DannoMac21 View Post
    Sugar Will LT2 with Santana is legitimate perfection
    Santana had never heard the song before, which is so wild to me
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-20-2021, 06:02 PM   #84
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

My favorite version of #41 with John Mayer is from the Hollywood Bowl show in 2007 (maybe because I was there for this one and not the Charlottesville one?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOubB1Wega0
    Old 06-20-2021, 07:12 PM   #85
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Fairfield High School alum. Y'know when John Mayer sings about running through the halls of his high school?

Yup, know the song (did not know he was from CT, not a fan) - though I wish it had stayed forgotten and if it is stuck in my head tonight I am banning your ass!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    Santana had never heard the song before, which is so wild to me
    It is strange how that works, some guys just have 'it' while others don't. Guests who were completely random generally got tossed in for Watchtower because they likely knew it. Santana and Warren can pretty much play anything so they are the exception. I think it was 2003 or 2004 up at SPAC and they brought out Dikkie Bettts for Jimi and holy shit was that a trainwreck, they whole front ten rows or so were just cringing through any of his playing because we all knew he was a great guitar player but he was so lost it was just painful to watch - we were all talking about how Watchtower would have been easier for him.
    Old 06-20-2021, 08:18 PM   #86
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Yup, that shit song is stuck in my head now and I am pissed the Canadiens lost so I am banning you just as soon as I remember how to be a vindictive jerk!
    Old 06-20-2021, 10:16 PM   #87
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It is strange how that works, some guys just have 'it' while others don't. Guests who were completely random generally got tossed in for Watchtower because they likely knew it. Santana and Warren can pretty much play anything so they are the exception. I think it was 2003 or 2004 up at SPAC and they brought out Dikkie Bettts for Jimi and holy shit was that a trainwreck, they whole front ten rows or so were just cringing through any of his playing because we all knew he was a great guitar player but he was so lost it was just painful to watch - we were all talking about how Watchtower would have been easier for him.
    I was there for that and the whole time I remember thinking, "OK, he's gonna find the groove now, right?" Nope! lol
    Old 06-20-2021, 10:19 PM   #88
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

I've been lucky enough to see Santana join them twice (5.18.01 and LT2) and, by a weird stroke of luck, I saw Dave appear as a guest with Santana once
    Old 06-20-2021, 10:28 PM   #89
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I was there for that and the whole time I remember thinking, "OK, he's gonna find the groove now, right?" Nope! lol
    Yeah, that Jimi with Betts was just plain bad. Thought it was the wrong song to bring him out to guest on but whatever, fun show nonetheless!

Quote:
    I've been lucky enough to see Santana join them twice (5.18.01 and LT2) and, by a weird stroke of luck, I saw Dave appear as a guest with Santana once
    Jealous, have only seen him join the band once though I did see him play a show or 2 so I know the guy is amazing - wish I had seen him join DMB more but I have been probably spoiled enough with the shows and guests I have seen!