Grown Up Type Stuff - Page 12 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #331
M. Steng
Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Grown Up Type Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw06 View Post
Dont do it in the middle of summer like i did lol. We did a wood deck, i like the look of better than the composit stuff they have now. Ours isnt huge and its almost on the ground, so we had to dig a lot. Higher decks that wouldnt have been an issue outside of the posts. Anchoring it to the house was a bit of a pain, as was making sure the posts were level and attaching to the frame (that part is pretty important). Make sure you check and double check where you are going to cut on boards if they wrap around a post (i messed up on 1 and wasted a board). May seem obvious but use pilot holes when attaching things and doing the boards.
Yeah my hope is to be able to work on it over the course of like 3-4 weekends once the ground thaws out from winter. Summertime wouldn't be too bad because our backyard is pretty shaded, but that's the time I want to be enjoying it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
I did this with my dad on my last house... I'm glad I did it once, I did save money, and it was a source of pride like you mentioned.

That said, when I moved a couple years ago and needed a deck/patio again, I definitely called a contractor. It was kind of fun but I wasn't willing to do it twice

The biggest thing is however long your dad tells you it will take from start to finish - probably triple it.
Hey, as long as it remains manageable financially, I'm okay with it taking a little longer than planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw06 View Post
Hope this works: but a couple pics, one finished and one with the stain
Looks good!

Just out of curiosity, if it's that low to the ground, why didn't you opt for a patio?

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #332
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I posted this back in early May after my house flooded at the end of April:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    My house flooded last week and was virtually gutted this week so I'm having to start all over.

One thing I want to do is no longer have carpet. I like the laminate floors and I've heard about LVT flooring, which is like laminate, looks like wood, but is waterproof. Anyone have LVT or any suggestions on non-carpet flooring that is waterproof/water resistant?

This is LVT for those who haven't heard of it:
    http://revolutionaryfloors.net/2016/...rs-waterproof/
    So I ended up going with the LVT flooring and I love it. It looks great.

As far as the house goes - it took us about two months to get back home, had to basically re do everything in the house. We had to have restoration come in and cut the drywall all throughout the house and pull out the insulation/air the house out. Then we had to put in new drywall, new insulation, repaint the whole house, put in new vanities, put in new cabinets, new countertops, new furniture (basically anything fabric the water touched had to be thrown out like couches/mattresses), bookcases, electronics, replace a bunch of clothing, some appliances that were damaged.

We lost a bunch of keepsakes we had in drawers in stuff, so that was a bummer.

I didn't have flood insurance (because I'm not in a floodplain, so it wasn't required when I got my home loan), but I do now. We ended up over 45,000 in damage, and flood insurance is only like 300 a year. So it's a no brainer to have it moving forward.

tl;dr, if you don't have flood insurance - get it anyway, even if you don't think you need it.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #333
    bradshaw06

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    Yeah my hope is to be able to work on it over the course of like 3-4 weekends once the ground thaws out from winter. Summertime wouldn't be too bad because our backyard is pretty shaded, but that's the time I want to be enjoying it!

Hey, as long as it remains manageable financially, I'm okay with it taking a little longer than planned.

Looks good!

Just out of curiosity, if it's that low to the ground, why didn't you opt for a patio?

Thank you. I like the look of a deck more. Just was preference really. When we moved in there was already a deck in place, it was just falling apart (my foot literally went through one of the boards when i was grilling). We scrapped the whole thing. Probably shouldnt have during a heat wave lol.
    Old 08-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #334
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

My new apartment has a front loading washer and dryer. I've never used before. So my question is, with my detergent pods, do I just throw it in with my load, or do I put it in that drawer that says liquid detergent?
    Old 08-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #335
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTCS_JTR View Post
    My new apartment has a front loading washer and dryer. I've never used before. So my question is, with my detergent pods, do I just throw it in with my load, or do I put it in that drawer that says liquid detergent?
    My new washer has that little drawer, so I just buy the liquid stuff and put it in the little drawer. I was told it has to have that HE symbol on it.

I dunno, maybe you can add the pods but the liquid works better? I dunno
    Old 08-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #336
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Any reason you want to keep using those pods instead of regular liquid detergent? Those things are so expensive compared to regular detergent.
    Old 08-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #337
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    My new washer has that little drawer, so I just buy the liquid stuff and put it in the little drawer. I was told it has to have that HE symbol on it.

I dunno, maybe you can add the pods but the liquid works better? I dunno
    It has a picture of both a regular and front loading on the package. Doesn't say how to use it though for front loading.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    Any reason you want to keep using those pods instead of regular liquid detergent? Those things are so expensive compared to regular detergent.
    My dad uses them, and then gave me the rest of the bag. I'll probably go back to liquid detergent once I use them up, or if I find out I can't actually use these.
    Old 08-18-2017, 11:39 PM   #338
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

the one time i lived in a place with a front load washer, i just popped the pod in with the clothes and started the cycle. never had any issues. don't see why it would be.
    Old 08-19-2017, 07:19 PM   #339
    mandy18

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    Not necessarily.
    People tend to use more liquid detergent than they should (and the excess suds trap dirt to your clothes). You can't do that with pods. I only buy pods. Plus, it's less waste (the bulky containers).

In other news, our power has been out for 6 hours, so I am this bored that I'm talking about laundry detergent.
    mandy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2017, 04:26 AM   #340
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Speaking of all the laundry talk, I use the detergent but only buy the big ones when I can use double coupons at BJ's but anyway...I find it hilarious they now have tide clean, for really clean clothes wtf.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #341
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    the one time i lived in a place with a front load washer, i just popped the pod in with the clothes and started the cycle. never had any issues. don't see why it would be.
    Sorry, just saw this. I heard that they have to be compatible with front loads. Sounds weird, but yeah. I threw it in the drum before I put my clothes in, and it was fine.
    Old 09-21-2017, 04:58 PM   #342
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

My dad's had a bunch of health issues throughout the years, so nothing too new there. Right now he's back in the hospital and they think that he has developed ICU psychosis after all of the procedures. The shit that can happen to people, medically speaking, never fails to amaze me. Crazy.
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #343
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mandy18 View Post
    Not necessarily.
    People tend to use more liquid detergent than they should (and the excess suds trap dirt to your clothes). You can't do that with pods. I only buy pods. Plus, it's less waste (the bulky containers).

In other news, our power has been out for 6 hours, so I am this bored that I'm talking about laundry detergent.
    I use the dishwasher pods in my dishwasher instead of the liquid dishwasher soap stuff.
    Old 09-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #344
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Pods for both dishwasher and washing machine.
    Old 09-22-2017, 07:31 AM   #345
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Knee's over 30 suck. Also, not stretching on a regular basis is horrible.
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2017, 03:21 PM   #346
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Has anyone ever dealt with someone suffering from delirium? When I got to the hospital today, my dad said something to the effect of "There's RJ (Roger Jr.). I saw a tweet yesterday that you were killed in a car crash."

It's crazy because not only is my dad not on any social network but the way he said everything made it clear that if something did happen, he wouldn't really process or understand it at all. I guess this can go on for months and can lead into Alzheimer's. Absolutely crazy.
    Old 09-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #347
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    Has anyone ever dealt with someone suffering from delirium? When I got to the hospital today, my dad said something to the effect of "There's RJ (Roger Jr.). I saw a tweet yesterday that you were killed in a car crash."

It's crazy because not only is my dad not on any social network but the way he said everything made it clear that if something did happen, he wouldn't really process or understand it at all. I guess this can go on for months and can lead into Alzheimer's. Absolutely crazy.
    So I have not...other than my grandma when I was younger, but hers was never that bad. That said, if my parents start to show any signs whatsoever, I'll start them on a ketone supplement. 1) it can't hurt and 2) it's showing some pretty awesome early results in the treatment of all sorts of brain issues. Here's pubmed on Alz:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18625458
    Abstract
    An early feature of Alzheimer's disease (AD) is region-specific declines in brain glucose metabolism. Unlike other tissues in the body, the brain does not efficiently metabolize fats; hence the adult human brain relies almost exclusively on glucose as an energy substrate. Therefore, inhibition of glucose metabolism can have profound effects on brain function. The hypometabolism seen in AD has recently attracted attention as a possible target for intervention in the disease process. One promising approach is to supplement the normal glucose supply of the brain with ketone bodies (KB), which include acetoacetate, beta-hydroxybutyrate, and acetone. KB are normally produced from fat stores when glucose supplies are limited, such as during prolonged fasting. KB have been induced both by direct infusion and by the administration of a high-fat, low-carbohydrate, low-protein, ketogenic diets. Both approaches have demonstrated efficacy in animal models of neurodegenerative disorders and in human clinical trials, including AD trials. Much of the benefit of KB can be attributed to their ability to increase mitochondrial efficiency and supplement the brain's normal reliance on glucose. Research into the therapeutic potential of KB and ketosis represents a promising new area of AD research.

And here are two ketone body supplements...I don't have any affiliation here...I've taken the first one and plan on trying the second myself.

https://myketocoach.pruvitnow.com/pr...etoos-bio-max/

https://ketologic.com/?gclid=EAIaIQo...SAAEgLonPD_BwE

This guy is kind of the go-to expert on ketones. He even developed stuff for Navy seals so they can stay underwater longer on rebreathers without getting seizures.

https://tim.blog/2016/07/06/dom-dagostino-part-2/

I'm no doctor, but like I said, I wouldn't hesitate to put my parents on this stuff should they start mental decline.

Goodluck.
    MDPrompter is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-31-2017, 07:25 AM   #348
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone have any experience with a good concrete patch sealer? With this past heavy rain, I noticed a spot in the corner of my garage where it meets the driveway and a retaining wall that some water is seeping in. Nothing major but it's something I definitely want to nip in the bud before the next big soaker. It didn't really start until it had been raining for like 20 hours straight, so it's hopefully not a problem that would repeat itself too frequently, but I definitely want to take care of it just in case.
    Old 11-01-2017, 08:25 AM   #349
    dre2142
    Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    Anyone have any experience with a good concrete patch sealer? With this past heavy rain, I noticed a spot in the corner of my garage where it meets the driveway and a retaining wall that some water is seeping in. Nothing major but it's something I definitely want to nip in the bud before the next big soaker. It didn't really start until it had been raining for like 20 hours straight, so it's hopefully not a problem that would repeat itself too frequently, but I definitely want to take care of it just in case.
    Bunch of different brands out here that have a powder/mix with water that works. Quikrete or Drylok are two of the bigger brands
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-01-2017, 08:35 AM   #350
    bradshaw06

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

My wife and I celebrated two years in our house yesterday. Crazy how time goes by. Expecting out first in March. Craziest thing? We’ve yet to use the dishwasher.
    Old 11-10-2017, 11:33 PM   #351
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

My Tour Central Stats

grown ups -- i'm looking for a briefcase type bag with a strap. something not too big, but not too small. i've been looking at a filson. anybody have any insight to good durable briefcases? won't be lugging much to/fro the office but looking to finally substitute my north face bag. also looking at it as an investment, but also don't want it to be ridiculously expensive. thanks
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2017, 04:23 AM   #352
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    grown ups -- i'm looking for a briefcase type bag with a strap. something not too big, but not too small. i've been looking at a filson. anybody have any insight to good durable briefcases? won't be lugging much to/fro the office but looking to finally substitute my north face bag. also looking at it as an investment, but also don't want it to be ridiculously expensive. thanks
    This is mine (darker brown color). Been super durable the past two years, fits a ton of stuff if need be, including my laptop and charger. A little pricey but it’s high quality, like anything you pay for what you get and if you’re looking at it as an investment then this will last you a long time.

https://www.jackgeorges.com/products...briefcase-4402
    Old 11-11-2017, 06:15 AM   #353
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I got this last year for about $60, love it https://www.amazon.com/Kenneth-Cole-...70_&dpSrc=srch
    Old 11-11-2017, 06:23 PM   #354
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

thanks for the links guys. will certainly take a good look at those
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 11-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #355
    CrashTheStone41
    Cordially Invited

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

trying to get pre-qualified for a mortgage right now. Went through my bank and they gave me a ton of misinformation. Called an old friend that I grew up with, he gave me an entire different set of information. He's obviously going to get me pre-qualified and I should have a house by Jan. 1 of next year.

CrashTheStone41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #356
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

here's some grown up stuff.

we moved into our house about 5 1/2 years ago. Bought a new living room set- reclining leather couch and love seat. Thought it was leather...turns out it was bonded leather. Dont remember if I knew that at the time, but even if I did I didn't know what it meant. The finish is peeling like a motherfucker. The couches are still really comfortable and in great condition except for the damn peeling, so now we're shopping for a living room set again

oh, and my wife has like a fake molar because her one tooth never grew in. It would fall out like every 2-3 years and she'd get it fixed. Last year it started falling out every couple of months, and now it's every few weeks. So basically she has to get an implant (not the fun kind of implants), and it's going to cost about $5k out of pocket. For that amount of money she probably could get the fun kind of implants
    Old 11-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #357
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post

we moved into our house about 5 1/2 years ago. Bought a new living room set- reclining leather couch and love seat. Thought it was leather...turns out it was bonded leather. Dont remember if I knew that at the time, but even if I did I didn't know what it meant. The finish is peeling like a motherfucker. The couches are still really comfortable and in great condition except for the damn peeling, so now we're shopping for a living room set again

oh, and my wife has like a fake molar because her one tooth never grew in. It would fall out like every 2-3 years and she'd get it fixed. Last year it started falling out every couple of months, and now it's every few weeks. So basically she has to get an implant (not the fun kind of implants), and it's going to cost about $5k out of pocket. For that amount of money she probably could get the fun kind of implants
    this post was a rollercoaster from start to finish. let's hope for the best for the molar. that shit sucks
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 11-11-2017, 06:40 PM   #358
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I dunno if you're opposed to going messenger, but I've been a TimBuk2 fan for many years now and their stuff has great quality.

Here's some of their more professional type stuff
    https://www.timbuk2.com/work-messengers
    Old 11-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #359
    CrashTheStone41
    Cordially Invited

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post

molar implants sound the opposite of fun. My dad has denchers and he went to get them fixed and the dentists tried to talk him in to getting implants instead. Said it would be a lost cost of like 10k. My dad didn't stay for the visit and now has a new dentist. Just fix my denchers bro!

CrashTheStone41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #360
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Dentures?
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote