The Batson Sessions: DMB Studio Efforts from 2006 Leaked - News Discussion - Page 87 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 11-13-2018, 07:10 AM   #2581
LetYouDown22
LetYouDown22

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Batson Sessions: DMB Studio Efforts from 2006 Leaked - News Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldblueice View Post
man these "Batson Sessions" were a flop that blew over like an overhyped hurricane.

putting Come Tomorrow back on shuffle.
This is where I'm at. Used to listen on YT here and there, but have no problem with them being taken down.
LetYouDown22 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-13-2018, 07:10 AM   #2582
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    I still think a significant amount of the tBS sounds like songs that would have fit on SU (or even ED). More simplistic tunes that are less unique and/or interesting than the music I most love from the band. Which makes the love they're getting all the more strange to me, as most people say they hate SU.

It's not all bad, but it's not all amazing stuff. This still doesn't compare to the material from tLWS that passed over to bring us ED. Not even close.

I think that speaks to bad Come Tomorrow is.
    Old 11-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #2583
    Dehalo212

My Tour Central Stats

"Ask" is fantastic.
    Dehalo212 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2018, 07:44 AM   #2584
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    I agree. I've listened to The Batson Sessions a lot more than CT at this point.
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #2585
    Rockyall107
    Ya Dig?

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Can anyone tab out Early home?
    Old 11-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #2586
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Finished/not finished, mastered/not mastered... whatever. I prefer good songs over shitty songs, and there are more good songs in this collection than on Come Tomorrow.

Haha, THIS! My thoughts exactly.
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #2587
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I obviously disagree, but you're in the group that didn't like CT out of the gate and still don't right? And while there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it would just make you more inclined to appreciate almost anything that wasn't CT.

We know lots of people really like ED and quite a few like SU as well. For some it was when they started listening to/liking the band. For others, they were ready to go on these particular journeys with the band. We all know we like the band for different reasons, meaning: different albums, configurations, tours, songs, memories, and any combination thereof. But it doesn't make the material as good or better than anything else from band (nor worse for that matter). So, it's really just different perspectives.

I think CT is an excellent album. Most of the songs are far simpler than "classic" DMB, but if anything they further show that the band can simplify their music (harmonically, melodically, etc) and still sound great. Whereas ED and SU seemed to point towards them not being particularly good at more simplistic or concise song-craft.

I hear generally far better song quality on CT than tBS discs. Again, a very cool glimpse into the process, but nothing game changing...barring this bit I'm self-quoting regarding the tunes mentioned:

"Some tunes like Red Glare and Early Home sound more like overt tributes to other bands or artists (Peter Gabriel/Police/‘80s new-wave-progesque stuff and the Beatles respectively), as opposed to having that unique DMB/Dave sound. This isn’t to say that these are bad songs, but not as “original” as the band’s material tends to be..."

Hearing Dave and the band so directly/obviously channel other artists is interesting. It makes me think of the Steve Morse Major Impact albums, where he wrote and recorded tunes inspired by the most inspirational artists in his musical life. Dave and the Band doing something along these lines could interesting. But I'm more interested in hearing them concentrate on their thing and releasing more new original music and/or more of the songs from the wealth of unreleased or unrecorded material that we already know and love.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #2588
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    I still think a significant amount of the tBS sounds like songs that would have fit on SU (or even ED). More simplistic tunes that are less unique and/or interesting than the music I most love from the band. Which makes the love they're getting all the more strange to me, as most people say they hate SU.

It's not all bad, but it's not all amazing stuff. This still doesn't compare to the material from tLWS that passed over to bring us ED. Not even close.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LetYouDown22 View Post
    This is where I'm at. Used to listen on YT here and there, but have no problem with them being taken down.
    Agreed. I’ve maybe listened to the whole Batson Sessions twice. Early Home will still get a play, as will Drive Me Away and Break For It but outside of that nothing is near finished enough to really peak my interest. Those three tunes make for a nice little b-side disc to Come Tomorrow.

I said it in another thread, but aside from its title track, Come Tomorrow is really a great album. Tim was interviewed around the time of the Big Whiskey release and claimed that to be their Sgt. Pepper, but I think that goes to Come Tomorrow. There’s a newness and originality to it while also nodding to their original sound. The album as a whole is has a cohesive flow musically and thematically. It’s meant to listen from start to finish and that’s what I really like about it. Are there some cool ideas and a couple of good tunes off the Batson Sessions? Sure, but it’s mostly a couple discs worth of decent to pretty good ideas that never went anywhere. As others have said, some of those songs have Stand Up all over them and had they ever been released probably would have been met with similar criticism. Side note, I’m shocked at the praise I’ve seen Celebrate get. People complain about the new rock sound yet that sounds like Nine Inch Nails.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #2589
    KcH012785

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Come Tomorrow is a solid album. Five months after its release, the only skips are Come Tomorrow, She, and often That Girl Is You. The Batson Sessions as a collection is not even on the same playing field as the Lillwhite Sessions...certainly not as good as Come Tomorrow.
    KcH012785 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #2590
    LetYouDown22
    LetYouDown22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    Agreed. I’ve maybe listened to the whole Batson Sessions twice. Early Home will still get a play, as will Drive Me Away and Break For It but outside of that nothing is near finished enough to really peak my interest. Those three tunes make for a nice little b-side disc to Come Tomorrow.

I said it in another thread, but aside from its title track, Come Tomorrow is really a great album. Tim was interviewed around the time of the Big Whiskey release and claimed that to be their Sgt. Pepper, but I think that goes to Come Tomorrow. There’s a newness and originality to it while also nodding to their original sound. The album as a whole is has a cohesive flow musically and thematically. It’s meant to listen from start to finish and that’s what I really like about it. Are there some cool ideas and a couple of good tunes off the Batson Sessions? Sure, but it’s mostly a couple discs worth of decent to pretty good ideas that never went anywhere. As others have said, some of those songs have Stand Up all over them and had they ever been released probably would have been met with similar criticism. Side note, I’m shocked at the praise I’ve seen Celebrate get. People complain about the new rock sound yet that sounds like Nine Inch Nails.
    With you on this, especially Early Home. That was a nice little tune. I was actually looking forward to hearing Kill The King, but then I did, and it reminded me how I felt when I heard Hello Again on Stand Up. That was a tough listen.
    LetYouDown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #2591
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LetYouDown22 View Post
    With you on this, especially Early Home. That was a nice little tune. I was actually looking forward to hearing Kill The King, but then I did, and it reminded me how I felt when I heard Hello Again on Stand Up. That was a tough listen.
    Same haha. It is completely dead sounding and there’s no horns or violin on it. The horns make that song.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #2592
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dehalo212 View Post
    "Ask" is fantastic.
    Agreed. Such a cool riff. Would love to see the band pick this up again. Would need to replace or tweak the Break Free riff though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockyall107 View Post
    I will after work today.
    Old 11-14-2018, 08:01 AM   #2593
    Slackdoodle

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

When was DMB last good?
    Slackdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2018, 10:19 AM   #2594
    mattpeterson23

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Is it too late for a Batson Sessions Proudest Monkey?
    mattpeterson23 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2018, 07:59 PM   #2595
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockyall107 View Post
    It's something like this. I didn't tab out the strumming pattern or anything just the notes/chords after a first pass.

---------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------
    -2--2h3p2---3—3-2h3p2--0-0-0---0--2-2-2h3p2--
    -3--3-3-3---3-3-3-3-3--2-2-2h3p2--3-3-3-3-3--
    -x--x-x-x---1-1-1-1-1--3-3-3-3-3--x-x-x-x-x--
    -1--1-1-1-------------------------1-1-1-1-1--

-------
    -------
    -2--3--
    -3--3--
    -x--x--
    -1--1--
    -------------
    -5--4--3--3—
    -x--x--x--2—
    -3--2--1--x--
    -5--3--3—-1—

-----------------
    -----------------
    -5-/10-/4-/7-/9--
    -x---x—-x--x--x--
    -x---x—-x--x--x--
    -5-/10-/3-/6-/8—-

Old 11-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #2596
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slackdoodle View Post
    When was DMB last good?

In the studio?
    Old 11-15-2018, 02:30 AM   #2597
    coldblueice

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    except that Come Tomorrow is a great record.
    coldblueice is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2018, 06:41 AM   #2598
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

Shows Seen: 54

My Tour Central Stats

Hey guys, I’m currently traveling and completely missed all the fun. If someone could send over a link it would be greatly appreciated. Just spent an hour trying to find a working one with no luck :/
    Old 11-16-2018, 07:04 AM   #2599
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

Shows Seen: 54

My Tour Central Stats

Never mind, finally figured it out
    Old 11-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #2600
    #41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I enjoy having studio version of Shotgun, Idea of You (without the annoying live intro), and Break for It on my laptop.

More than I enjoy having Come Tomorrow on my laptop.
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #2601
    camptravisr
    Numbered Beats

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post
    It's something like this. I didn't tab out the strumming pattern or anything just the notes/chords after a first pass.

came here to ask for this - thank you!
    camptravisr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #2602
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camptravisr View Post
    came here to ask for this - thank you!
    I think it's pretty close so I hope that helps. I think the slides and strumming are straightforward but if it would help to expand to a full tab I can do that, just let me know.

Cheers

EDIT: If so, I'll move it to the Musician's Forum

Last edited by jmkratt; 11-16-2018 at 02:38 PM.
    jmkratt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #2603
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Finished/not finished, mastered/not mastered... whatever. I prefer good songs over shitty songs

Yeah same here, CT is my favorite DMB album since Busted Stuff and I'm glad Dave's songwriting has picked up the last couple years
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #2604
    Owly
    180 degrees of fuck you

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I'm late to the party. Is there any chance I could get a link to download or listen to this?
    Owly is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2018, 03:19 PM   #2605
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
    Some of you are lazy as hell, links have been posted numerous times in this thread.
    Ohh look another https://files.fm/u/2y8mwhqz
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I'm late to the party. Is there any chance I could get a link to download or listen to this?
    this works
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #2606
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Yeah same here, CT is my favorite DMB album since Busted Stuff and I'm glad Dave's songwriting has picked up the last couple years
    Evidently it has not.
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #2607
    Dehalo212

My Tour Central Stats

They should open Columbus with "Scream Into the Grave - Outro"
    Dehalo212 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #2608
    BMus1

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Hey guys, first time poster here, long time lurker. Ever since TBS leaked, I've been working on a remaster/reimagination of it in my free time and I wanted to share! My goal was to make it feel like finished, full album as opposed to a handful of demos. This included cleaning up some sloppiness (intro of Break For It comes to mind, where Dave flubs a note in the first couple bars), creating some cool transitions between songs, and making a coherent, flowing track list.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Iz...86_os_IZb1Mh9p
    https://we.tl/t-X02ESLMeAZ

1. There Are Ghosts
    2. Kill the King
    3. Bullets and Rum
    4. Idea of You
    5. Break Free
    6. Can't Stop
    7. Red Glare
    8. Early Home
    9. Come On
    10. Drive Me Away
    11. Sister
    12. Break For It

I chose not to include Cornbread and #27 because they feel very incomplete to me from TBS, and versions much more true to the band's live performances already exist on Little Red Bird. However, I did choose to include the three Come Tomorrow songs because the little differences between TBS and CT versions are definitely worth a listen. Additionally, Idea and Can't Stop are the only two songs that feature the full band (including LeRoi and Boyd) and it felt wrong to exclude them.

I also avoided songs where Dave utilized drum loops instead of Carter, the exception being Drive Me Away which I felt was the most complete of the drum loop songs, as well as fitting with the other songs on the 'album'.

I heavily based the master off of songs from Stand Up since it was originally going to follow it up, though I did take some cues from the versions of Can't Stop and Idea from Come Tomorrow, as well as songs from Big Whiskey. I tried my best to clean up the EQ and volume on all of the songs to make it more consistent, especially the low end. I also widened the stereo field a bit to compensate for a lot of the mono mixing of some instruments on some songs. There's also a bit of added reverb in places to hide the flat sound of the rough mixes that were leaked.

I hope you all enjoy and I'd love to hear feedback! I'd also be open to doing other songs from the sessions if anyone is interested And just to be clear, I did this more for my own personal consumption of the songs, but I figured I'd share it along.
    BMus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #2609
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks for sharing, man. Looking forward to giving it a spin while working tomorrow.
    Old 11-20-2018, 12:08 AM   #2610
    CapnHani06
    JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BMus1 View Post
    Hey guys, first time poster here, long time lurker. Ever since TBS leaked, I've been working on a remaster/reimagination of it in my free time and I wanted to share! My goal was to make it feel like finished, full album as opposed to a handful of demos. This included cleaning up some sloppiness (intro of Break For It comes to mind, where Dave flubs a note in the first couple bars), creating some cool transitions between songs, and making a coherent, flowing track list.
    Sounds incredible so far, brother! Really looking forward to digging into this, thank you for sharing this with the community.
    - Sean
    CapnHani06 is offline   Reply With Quote