COVID-19/new coronavirus thread - Page 134 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-09-2020, 07:09 AM   #3991
dmbmuskie
FIN

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: COVID-19/new coronavirus thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
Yeah, but some people I know found a disgraces Canadian physicist who said that masks are ineffective (this literally has happened).
I called BS on masks not helping early on.

I don’t think Fauci and the WHO misled us as much as he just followed the existing literature on the subject.

There is also a big difference between testing mask performance in a controlled laboratory setting and the real world. You need to be disciplined as hell to not touch your face, have a secure fit, etc.

Wear your mask, but we’re definitely a few weeks away from stories about people wearing masks getting sick.
dmbmuskie is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-09-2020, 07:13 AM   #3992
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    Anyone not always seeing eye to eye with their spouse/other on this stuff? Like, my wife and I are fully aligned on certain situations that seem high risk. Eating dine-in, going to any larger indoor gatherings, etc., have all been firm no's for both of us. But we can't quite seem to see eye to eye on much smaller risks. Things like smaller family visits among members who have also been very careful, our kids getting within 6 feet of the neighbor kids for shorter periods while playing outdoors, the danger of popping into a rest area while on our way up to an airbnb, etc. We have always had the same instincts on most issues and we just can't seem to find it on these things, which unfortunately come up quite often when all of this is just hanging over us like a cloud.
    I’ve criticized Slavitt a few times, but he has some really good advice. You need to decide on a few good sources and have a weekly sit down with your family to discuss everything and how that effects your life.
    Old 07-09-2020, 07:16 AM   #3993
    mandy18

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    Anyone not always seeing eye to eye with their spouse/other on this stuff? Like, my wife and I are fully aligned on certain situations that seem high risk. Eating dine-in, going to any larger indoor gatherings, etc., have all been firm no's for both of us. But we can't quite seem to see eye to eye on much smaller risks. Things like smaller family visits among members who have also been very careful, our kids getting within 6 feet of the neighbor kids for shorter periods while playing outdoors, the danger of popping into a rest area while on our way up to an airbnb, etc. We have always had the same instincts on most issues and we just can't seem to find it on these things, which unfortunately come up quite often when all of this is just hanging over us like a cloud.
    I’m fairly confident I’m driving my husband crazy because I’m probably a little over zealous about what I will / will not do. But he’s going along with it, so that’s good.

He’ll talk a little closer with people than I would, so I’ll nudge him back (or just say something if it’s someone I don’t need to be discreet with).

We did disagree regarding his Mother. I previously posted that she’s a bit careless as to who she’s around / what she’s doing. We normally see her on major holidays only. Husband took last week off and she wanted to visit and go to the pool with us. I made him give her a no hugs/kisses with the kids notice, and he did. But she couldn’t help herself and got too close to my youngest in the pool. He’s at least come around that she’s not welcome back until there’s better treatment and / or a vaccine.
    mandy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2020, 07:17 AM   #3994
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmuskie View Post
    I don’t think Fauci and the WHO misled us as much as he just followed the existing literature on the subject.
    I also think there was a clear effort to preserve PPE for health workers early on. And I think that was the right choice, albeit a terrible one to have to make

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2020, 07:20 AM   #3995
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    I also think there was a clear effort to preserve PPE for health workers early on. And I think that was the right choice, albeit a terrible one to have to make
    He should have also said put a bandana on your face if you’re going out.

Maybe that would have just furthered panic too.
    Old 07-09-2020, 07:29 AM   #3996
    zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

There is also a big difference between testing mask performance in a controlled laboratory setting and the real world. You need to be disciplined as hell to not touch your face, have a secure fit, etc.

Wear your mask, but we’re definitely a few weeks away from stories about people wearing masks getting sick.
    Masks help. They don't make you fucking immune like people seem to use as an argument against them...but they still help.

At the very least, and absolute worst case scenario since we're still learning about how the virus spreads, we're wrong about the virus spreading through the air and masks end up being an unnecessary precaution. Big fucking deal.

Is that the hill people really want to die on? That's the great abuse of liberty and the American people in our lifetime? Gimme a break.
    zajDmB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2020, 07:44 AM   #3997
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

You have no medical background so your opinions are worthless when it comes to this.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2020, 07:46 AM   #3998
    mdel21

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zajDmB1 View Post
    Masks help. They don't make you fucking immune like people seem to use as an argument against them...but they still help.

At the very least, and absolute worst case scenario since we're still learning about how the virus spreads, we're wrong about the virus spreading through the air and masks end up being an unnecessary precaution. Big fucking deal.

Is that the hill people really want to die on? That's the great abuse of liberty and the American people in our lifetime? Gimme a break.
    Not sure if it's a perfect analogy, but it's like a seat belt. If I get in an accident on the interstate my chances of survival increase if I'm wearing the seat belt vs. not wearing it. My chances are NOT 100%, but they're better than taking no precautions.
    mdel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2020, 07:54 AM   #3999
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Lee Numbers,

I did fit testing for years. If the mask doesn’t fit, it doesn’t work. Period. Everyone agreed on this 6 months ago.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/safety-c...n/fit-testing/

I’m not saying masks are bullshit or anything like that. I wear mine every time I go out.

Last edited by dmbmuskie; 07-09-2020 at 07:55 AM.
    Old 07-09-2020, 08:23 AM   #4000
    ricky towel

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Lee Numbers,

I did fit testing for years. If the mask doesn’t fit, it doesn’t work. Period. Everyone agreed on this 6 months ago.

I’m not saying masks are bullshit or anything like that. I wear mine every time I go out.
    Is that all in reference to protecting yourself, as opposed to protecting others?
    ricky towel is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2020, 08:23 AM   #4001
    ricky towel

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdel21 View Post
    Not sure if it's a perfect analogy, but it's like a seat belt. If I get in an accident on the interstate my chances of survival increase if I'm wearing the seat belt vs. not wearing it. My chances are NOT 100%, but they're better than taking no precautions.
    Plus seatbelts can protect others by stopping you from becoming a projectile.
    Old 07-09-2020, 08:26 AM   #4002
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricky towel View Post
    Is that all in reference to protecting yourself, as opposed to protecting others?
    This.

The argument for mask wearing isn't that it protects the wearer from catching it. It makes spreading it much less likely.
    Old 07-09-2020, 08:33 AM   #4003
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    This.

The argument for mask wearing isn't that it protects the wearer from catching it. It makes spreading it much less likely.
    Well, what started this conversation was new research released in the last 24 hours or so that indicates it helps both others AND yourself.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2020, 08:41 AM   #4004
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Lee Numbers,

My reply to you was harsh, I apologize, but again, you don't have a medical background. Covid being a novel virus means that even those with medical backgrounds didn't have as much knowledge as we would expect (although certainly more than you or I), so of course they are going to get some things wrong.
    Old 07-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #4005
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

9,000 more new cases and 120 more new deaths in Florida reported from yesterday. Previous high for deaths was 83. We're now considered the worldwide epicenter of the pandemic.
    Old 07-09-2020, 09:14 AM   #4006
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    My reply to you was harsh, I apologize, but again, you don't have a medical background. Covid being a novel virus means that even those with medical backgrounds didn't have as much knowledge as we would expect (although certainly more than you or I), so of course they are going to get some things wrong.
    I’m just curious to how you think the fundamentals of protecting yourself from airborne particles are somehow different with COVID than anything else?

All the things we are worrying about are true for the flu too.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...coughs-sneezes

Last edited by dmbmuskie; 07-09-2020 at 09:16 AM.
    Old 07-09-2020, 09:25 AM   #4007
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I’m just curious to how you think the fundamentals of protecting yourself from airborne particles are somehow different with COVID than anything else?

The medical community wasn't in consensus of that issue.
    Old 07-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #4008
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

But I think it's wrong to say, without clarification, that if it doesn't fit 100% that it's completely useless. It still provides barrier, and reducing particulate flow is important to reducing transmission and potentially reducing severity of illness (as there's a few hypotheses that dosage of the exposure plays a role in severity of symptoms)

Old 07-09-2020, 09:36 AM   #4009
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

The fact that most countries have gotten the virus under control and here we are 4-5 months later still dealing with massive increases in cases and deaths...perhaps the single greatest instance of governmental malfeasance I have ever seen.
    Old 07-09-2020, 09:39 AM   #4010
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

You’d think that after 4 months, states would look at what New York did and say “hey, that worked, we should do that”
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2020, 09:40 AM   #4011
    barefoot
    More coffee....

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdel21 View Post
    On a side note I think seat belt and helmet laws for motorcycles are dumb. Over the age of 18 it should be your choice if you want to drastically increase your probability of death in an accident. Let Darwin take a swing at this one.
    Old 07-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #4012
    barefoot
    More coffee....

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    The fact that most countries have gotten the virus under control and here we are 4-5 months later still dealing with massive increases in cases and deaths...perhaps the single greatest instance of governmental malfeasance I have ever seen.
    I put some of the blame on the citizens too. You can mandate, regulate and dictate but if people don't follow it's a moot point. Cuomo always gave credit to NYers for wearing the mask, he would constantly say in his briefings " I can't make 19 million people wear a mask, they have to choose to" Which I thought was funny because I thought he kinda actually made us
    Old 07-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #4013
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
    On a side note I think seat belt and helmet laws for motorcycles are dumb. Over the age of 18 it should be your choice if you want to drastically increase your probability of death in an accident. Let Darwin take a swing at this one.
    Disagree big time on seatbelt laws being dumb. An unbuckled passenger poses deadly risk, in case of an accident, to other passengers in the car. So it isn't just themselves they're putting at harm.

For helmets, I like helmet laws, mainly because I think it's good to reduce chances of death or serious injury.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #4014
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I put some of the blame on the citizens too. You can mandate, regulate and dictate but if people don't follow it's a moot point. Cuomo always gave credit to NYers for wearing the mask, he would constantly say in his briefings " I can't make 19 million people wear a mask, they have to choose to" Which I thought was funny because I thought he kinda actually made us
    Sure, but I think government leaders have a role to play to educate their citizens, too. We have people down here thinking you can die from CO2 poisoning by wearing a mask and that masks are only for protecting you, so since they aren't perfect, it isn't worth the risk of death-by-cloth.

And our elected leaders are doing nothing to combat that nonsense, and some are actually feeding that frenzy

Old 07-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #4015
    barefoot
    More coffee....

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Disagree big time on seatbelt laws being dumb. An unbuckled passenger poses deadly risk, in case of an accident, to other passengers in the car. So it isn't just themselves they're putting at harm.

For helmets, I like helmet laws, mainly because I think it's good to reduce chances of death or serious injury.
    In general, I am a less Government guy. If you want to risk your life not wearing a helmet , who am I to stop you.
    Old 07-09-2020, 09:49 AM   #4016
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

2k new cases here in NC today, crossed the 1k mark for hospitalizations for the first time today as well. dumbest fucking country.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2020, 09:58 AM   #4017
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    In general, I am a less Government guy. If you want to risk your life not wearing a helmet , who am I to stop you.
    With all due respect this is one of the fucking dumbest arguments I have ever heard that's been couched in a "less government" shroud.

Wearing a helmet and seatbelt is not only for your own protection, but it has a net societal benefit. More people dying unnecessarily means your car and health insurance premiums go up, it requires first responders to more frequently place their own lives at risk by responding to whatever dumb accident you've gotten yourself into.

Lots of people are dumb and need to be told what to do. I love seeing my local cops doing seatbelt and speeding checks near my house. Keeps everyone safer and it's the easiest thing in the world to do.
    Old 07-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #4018
    ricky towel

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not wearing a seatbelt puts others at risk as well.
    Old 07-09-2020, 10:07 AM   #4019
    barefoot
    More coffee....

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    With all due respect this is one of the fucking dumbest arguments I have ever heard that's been couched in a "less government" shroud.

Wearing a helmet and seatbelt is not only for your own protection, but it has a net societal benefit. More people dying unnecessarily means your car and health insurance premiums go up, it requires first responders to more frequently place their own lives at risk by responding to whatever dumb accident you've gotten yourself into.

Lots of people are dumb and need to be told what to do. I love seeing my local cops doing seatbelt and speeding checks near my house. Keeps everyone safer and it's the easiest thing in the world to do.
    It absolutely is in the less government conversation. At what point do we allow people to make their own choices? It's O.K. to sell fast food, cigarettes and the myriad of other unhealthy items that lead to the largest cause of death in this country? You want to know what drives health insurance premiums? Its not car accidents, it's heart disease. 700k people die every year from it. Where do you draw the line? I personally have always worn my seat belt and I have never ridden a motorcycle.I work out 5 times a week and eat healthy. It's not my job to keep everyone safe, people will make personal choices and pay the consequences.
    Old 07-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #4020
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

I’ve always found it ironic that states that believe in limited government most are also the biggest taker in federal funds.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote