**All You Need Is Love - The Official BEATLES Thread** - Page 25 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 11-14-2018, 10:03 AM   #721
BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **All You Need Is Love - The Official BEATLES Thread**

White Album 2018 mix + Esher Demos are available in MQA on Tidal

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-14-2018, 11:15 AM   #722
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Better to find them in lossless no? HRA stopped offering MQA and had this to say - "MQA is NOT lossless, the original signal is never recovered, estimate to recover at most 17bits (reduces the sampling rate), reduces the frequency range, SNR reduced by 3bit, aliasing with artifacts at 18kHz. MQA encoding filters manipulates drastically the original source. No analysis tools are available to verify the encoded MQA content. Therefore no quality control is possible"

Doesn't sound very good! 320 Kbps mp3 files don't do much they're saying MQA does here.
    Old 11-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #723
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone that has the 2014 Mono vinyl as well as the new stereo remix, can you comment on if the remix is worth owning? Is it markedly different from the mono mix or the 2009 stereo remaster? I'm really interested to hear it, but I've got 5 copies of this album already so I'm hesitant unless this remix is really revelatory...

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #724
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    Anyone that has the 2014 Mono vinyl as well as the new stereo remix, can you comment on if the remix is worth owning? Is it markedly different from the mono mix or the 2009 stereo remaster? I'm really interested to hear it, but I've got 5 copies of this album already so I'm hesitant unless this remix is really revelatory...
    It’s different for sure. They did a lot of panning of instruments (mainly bass and drums) to give the vocals space. Also sounds like they used lots of stereo imaging to give everything more width. You hear the vocals a lot more clearly. I don’t wanna say more at the forefront because they were already there, but there’s a lot more clarity.

To me the original cd and 35th anniversary remaster were obsolete with the mono reissue and 2009 stereo mix. I’m a purist in the sense that i want to hear it how the artist intended. This new remix is good and it sounds great... but it’s not the original mixes that the Beatles oversaw. Where this set shines is the treasure trove of extra stuff like the Esher demos and different takes and rehearsals.

Like you i have 4 other versions of the white album. It’s available for streaming on google play music so I just did that and called it good. It’s cool to have but not essential in my opinion but definitely needs to be checked out.
    Old 11-28-2018, 07:50 AM   #725
    thedak

Shows Seen: 50

My Tour Central Stats

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4809/4...b6229d33_c.jpg

I have another 50th Anniversary Titan Yellow Sub Box

12xx of 1968 - Sealed

Make an offer if you're interested.
    thedak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2018, 05:09 AM   #726
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Went to an hour and a half presentation on The Magical Mystery Tour last night, went into great detail on how the songs were written, recorded, edited etc. So many parts of songs make more sense now like the tempo changes on Strawberry Fields Forever, good learning experience
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2018, 05:53 AM   #727
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Went to an hour and a half presentation on The Magical Mystery Tour last night, went into great detail on how the songs were written, recorded, edited etc. So many parts of songs make more sense now like the tempo changes on Strawberry Fields Forever, good learning experience
    You should check out The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions book by Mark Lewisohn. It goes in and out of print a lot but you can usually find it for $20-25.

It chronicles almost every recording session, what songs were recorded, how many takes etc. Some sessions are just small little notes and others go into 2 pages talking about recording techniques and what was done to the songs.
    Old 11-29-2018, 06:09 AM   #728
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I actually did a research paper in college on Strawberry Fields for a music theory class I was in. If I remember correctly, they actually took two separate takes, recorded in different keys at different tempos, and then spliced one take, sped it up to match the key of the first take, and added that as the second half of the song. I think you can hear the slightest little indication of the edit somewhere along the line which is pretty cool.
    Old 11-29-2018, 06:39 AM   #729
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    I actually did a research paper in college on Strawberry Fields for a music theory class I was in. If I remember correctly, they actually took two separate takes, recorded in different keys at different tempos, and then spliced one take, sped it up to match the key of the first take, and added that as the second half of the song. I think you can hear the slightest little indication of the edit somewhere along the line which is pretty cool.

Yeah it was like bending a recording instead of a note on an instrument, it's clear as day now when listening to the song. It's right after "let me take you down cuz I'm going to ..". The ending of the song is interesting because the way the tracks were recorded and edited the ending turned into a complete mess, instead of trying to fix it they faded out the part that wouldn't have worked and then brought the volume back up.

I didn't know Hello Goodbye was created when Paul was at a friends house who asked him how he came up with great songs and he walked him over to the guys piano and said give me any word and I'll say the opposite.
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2018, 08:19 AM   #730
    Madnana
    Smoke the Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

cranberry sauce...cranberry sauce
    Madnana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2019, 07:54 AM   #731
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Sir Lord of the Ringo: Carry That Weight looks to be coming out in 2020.

https://www.thebeatles.com/news/new-...laimed-academy

Quote:
    London – January 30, 2019 - Apple Corps Ltd. and WingNut Films Ltd. are proud to announce an exciting new collaboration between The Beatles and the acclaimed Academy Award winning director Sir Peter Jackson. The new film will be based around 55 hours of never-released footage of The Beatles in the studio, shot between January 2nd and January 31st, 1969. These studio sessions produced The Beatles’ Grammy Award winning album Let It Be, with its Academy Award winning title song. The album was eventually released 18 months later in May 1970, several months after the band had broken up.

The filming was originally intended for a planned TV special, but organically turned into something completely different, climaxing with The Beatles’ legendary performance on the roof of Apple's Savile Row London office — which took place exactly 50 years ago today.

Peter Jackson said, "The 55 hours of never-before-seen footage and 140 hours of audio made available to us, ensures this movie will be the ultimate ‘fly on the wall’ experience that Beatles fans have long dreamt about - it’s like a time machine transports us back to 1969, and we get to sit in the studio watching these four friends make great music together.”
    It sounds like the home release will also include the first properly remastered high definition version of the original Let It Be movie also.

Quote:
    Following the release of this new film, a restored version of the original Let It Be movie directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg will also be made available
    Old 01-30-2019, 08:07 AM   #732
    Madnana
    Smoke the Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

get back to where you once belonged
    Madnana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2019, 09:08 AM   #733
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

So, is Buddy like DMB's Billy Preston, but without marking the end of the band as we know it?
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2019, 10:09 AM   #734
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Sir Lord of the Ringo: Carry That Weight looks to be coming out in 2020.

https://www.thebeatles.com/news/new-...laimed-academy

It sounds like the home release will also include the first properly remastered high definition version of the original Let It Be movie also.
    Interesting... will definitely be checking this out even though I don't particularly care for this album. 2 of my favorites came from the sessions (Don't Let Me Down and Across the Universe) but I could do without the rest.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2019, 10:32 AM   #735
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    So, is Buddy like DMB's Billy Preston, but without marking the end of the band as we know it?
    Are you just trying to spread bad takes across as many threads as possible?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2019, 11:44 AM   #736
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Can't wait for this. Will be amazing to see a lot of that footage. I've never been able to see Let It Be either so getting that as a companion will be awesome. All-in for this.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2019, 08:00 PM   #737
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    Can't wait for this. Will be amazing to see a lot of that footage. I've never been able to see Let It Be either so getting that as a companion will be awesome. All-in for this.
    I’ve watched it, it’s not good. It’s good I’m the sense that you see them jamming and rehearsing and playing live. But it’s kinda sad and always left me feeling depressed. It’s the end of the Beatles and you can tell they don’t wanna be Beatles anymore.

I’m hoping this new film isn’t just a sanitized version of the original but maybe not since they are including the original with it. Either way I’ll be buying it because I love the Beatles and fact is there is not that much more left that hasn’t been seen or heard so I’m stoked to get anything I can these days!
    Old 01-30-2019, 08:16 PM   #738
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    Interesting... will definitely be checking this out even though I don't particularly care for this album. 2 of my favorites came from the sessions (Don't Let Me Down and Across the Universe) but I could do without the rest.
    Fun fact: This was actually recorded in January of 1968, part of group of songs to be considered for a single to be released mid March while the Beatles were in India. The Inner Light, Lady Madonna and You Know My Name were the other songs.

There was a clip in the promo for the film of John playing ATU (maybe Film too, I can’t remember) but it was never re-recorded. Spector just wiped some of the tracks from the 68 recording, sped it up and added strings.
    Old 01-31-2019, 06:46 AM   #739
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead36 View Post
    I’ve watched it, it’s not good. It’s good I’m the sense that you see them jamming and rehearsing and playing live. But it’s kinda sad and always left me feeling depressed. It’s the end of the Beatles and you can tell they don’t wanna be Beatles anymore.

I’m hoping this new film isn’t just a sanitized version of the original but maybe not since they are including the original with it. Either way I’ll be buying it because I love the Beatles and fact is there is not that much more left that hasn’t been seen or heard so I’m stoked to get anything I can these days!
    I think what Peter Jackson says has me most excited:

Quote:
    The Let It Be album and movie, having been released in the months following The Beatles’ breakup, have often been viewed in the context of the struggle the band was going through at that time.

“I was relieved to discover the reality is very different to the myth,” continues Jackson, “After reviewing all the footage and audio that Michael Lindsay-Hogg shot 18 months before they broke up, it’s simply an amazing historical treasure-trove. Sure, there’s moments of drama - but none of the discord this project has long been associated with. Watching John, Paul, George, and Ringo work together, creating now-classic songs from scratch, is not only fascinating - it’s funny, uplifting and surprisingly intimate”.
    Old 01-31-2019, 03:50 PM   #740
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think what Peter Jackson says has me most excited:
    Yeah, that’s the quote that made me think they might try and make it seem more upbeat and happier than it was. The Beatles have said it wasn’t always doom and gloom and there were some great moments but for the most part it was pretty miserable.

Most everyone around at that time all say how bad it was. The Beatles, George Martin, the engineers... I think that is more telling about the reality of the situation than 50 years later with the Beatles PR machine going on full tilt and looking through rose tinted glasses.

Like I said, I love the Beatles. I’m fine with their career winding down with bitterness and disputes. It’s life and the history of the band. I don’t want to see some alternative vision that showed they were still happy go lucky Beatles because if that’s the case, why did they break up? What were the lawsuits for? Why the acrimony and discord?
    Old 02-01-2019, 06:04 AM   #741
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead36 View Post
    Yeah, that’s the quote that made me think they might try and make it seem more upbeat and happier than it was. The Beatles have said it wasn’t always doom and gloom and there were some great moments but for the most part it was pretty miserable.

Most everyone around at that time all say how bad it was. The Beatles, George Martin, the engineers... I think that is more telling about the reality of the situation than 50 years later with the Beatles PR machine going on full tilt and looking through rose tinted glasses.

Like I said, I love the Beatles. I’m fine with their career winding down with bitterness and disputes. It’s life and the history of the band. I don’t want to see some alternative vision that showed they were still happy go lucky Beatles because if that’s the case, why did they break up? What were the lawsuits for? Why the acrimony and discord?
    I don't think he's implying anything of the sort though when specifically referring to the process of creating music over a year before they broke up, doesn't sound like he's trying to rewrite the demise of the band.

I expect when we get the home video release of the 523 minute Director's Cut we'll have a lot more unedited footage to look through, and after reading about the work done on the WWI footage I'm very excited to see just how good all this footage can look of the Let It Be sessions.

I'm thrilled with the announcement!

Old 02-01-2019, 06:29 AM   #742
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't think he's implying anything of the sort though when specifically referring to the process of creating music over a year before they broke up, doesn't sound like he's trying to rewrite the demise of the band.

I expect when we get the home video release of the 523 minute Director's Cut we'll have a lot more unedited footage to look through, and after reading about the work done on the WWI footage I'm very excited to see just how good all this footage can look of the Let It Be sessions.

I'm thrilled with the announcement!

To the bold

I’m thrilled too! Like i said earlier, there’s not a lot left to get as fans so I’m happy with anything new. They do always release a great product. It’s just my Harrison-esque skepticism creeping in
    Old 09-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #743
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

The new Dolby Atmos mix of Abbey Road absolutely blows away the previous surround mixes of Peppers and The Beatles and is one of the best surround mixes I've heard, wow it's so bloody good I was chuckling until I had tears in my eyes during "The End".

Pure gold, pure fucking gold. I salute Giles Martin.
    Old 09-28-2019, 02:54 PM   #744
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Really great interview with Paul on Colbert last week if anyone missed it. Can check it out on his youtube channel.
    Old 09-28-2019, 04:46 PM   #745
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Watching "Yesterday" right now, really enjoying it.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2020, 07:43 AM   #746
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

https://twitter.com/fibellefi/status...102728704?s=21
    Old 12-23-2020, 12:59 PM   #747
    Route_2
    What Album?

My Tour Central Stats

Paul did an AMA on Reddit today: https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comme...ey_and_i_just/
    Old 12-23-2020, 01:01 PM   #748
    drakan
    Drums!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    In every interview I watch he just seem to be the most genuine dude. I feel bad he had so much of the spotlight on him for most of his life. I am not sure a group has been as famous as the beatles.
    drakan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #749
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Read through that whole AMA, Paul is just such an absolute treasure of a person.

This might seem like a really odd thing to say/think about, but every now and then his inevitable passing will cross my mind and it just is such a sad thing to think about. I don't know if there's a single person on this planet (other than my parents) who has influenced my life as much as Paul McCartney has.
    Old 12-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #750
    Route_2
    What Album?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    Read through that whole AMA, Paul is just such an absolute treasure of a person.

This might seem like a really odd thing to say/think about, but every now and then his inevitable passing will cross my mind and it just is such a sad thing to think about. I don't know if there's a single person on this planet (other than my parents) who has influenced my life as much as Paul McCartney has.
    As I was scrolling through it and reading his responses I was thinking about how cool it is that people in 2020 are able to converse with a FUCKING Beatle online. Just amazing. Imagine trying to explain that to Paul in the late 60s. May you live in interesting times. He is a treasure.