*** Offical Camden 2023 Thread *** - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-24-2023, 12:42 PM   #1
crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

*** Offical Camden 2023 Thread ***

If you're debating between here or somewhere that is not SPAC/Gorge/Deer Creek, believe me:

You want to come here

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-24-2023, 12:44 PM   #2
    crounsa810

My Tour Central Stats

Re: *** Offical Camden 2023 Thread ***

And I typo'd official. I swear I can spell. Can a mod fix that please? It's going to drive me nuts
    Old 01-24-2023, 04:58 PM   #3
    redder

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Ok as someone debating the 2 night stand here, what makes this venue / area standout? Been to Gorge, Spac and Deer Creek already. Thanks in advance
    Old 01-24-2023, 05:45 PM   #4
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Hitting a new venue every year and it was in-between WPB and Camden and since I’m more of a city person vs. beach, I chose Camden.

Any help or tips would be appreciated. Planning on staying downtown Philly without a car. I can Uber to/from PHL airport and take the ferry back and forth the venue. It looks like it runs special schedules on concert nights.

Looks like I can also take the red PATCO line and transfer at Broadway to the light rail?

Am I ok walking alone if I stay in the center city/old city? Any areas to avoid? Anything to absolutely see if it’s my first time in Philly?

Thanks all!
    Old 01-24-2023, 05:49 PM   #5
    CrushB610

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by redder View Post
    Ok as someone debating the 2 night stand here, what makes this venue / area standout? Been to Gorge, Spac and Deer Creek already. Thanks in advance
    Can't compare to those I don't think. The only nice thing about Camden is it's close to Philly if you wanna explore the city and then head over to the show.

The venue itself is pretty cookie cutter but it's a pretty good tailgate scene and they usually get a solid couple of shows there.

Honestly that's about it.
    Old 01-24-2023, 06:16 PM   #6
    sheman10

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bearclaw_ View Post
    Hitting a new venue every year and it was in-between WPB and Camden and since I’m more of a city person vs. beach, I chose Camden.

Any help or tips would be appreciated. Planning on staying downtown Philly without a car. I can Uber to/from PHL airport and take the ferry back and forth the venue. It looks like it runs special schedules on concert nights.

Looks like I can also take the red PATCO line and transfer at Broadway to the light rail?

Am I ok walking alone if I stay in the center city/old city? Any areas to avoid? Anything to absolutely see if it’s my first time in Philly?

Thanks all!
    We lived in the city 8 years: rented for two in center city. Then owned a rowhome for six. When we lived in the there, we always took PATCO over the bridge. The ferry is great going to Camden, but a shit show to get back on it after the show.

You'll be fine walking around center city and old city. There will be people all over the place on a summer weekend.

You should probably see Independence Hall. If there's a line for the Liberty Bell, don't bother. Everybody likes the steps of the Art Museum (I don't get it personally. It's a fictional movie character! Anyway...)... Boat House row is pretty cool... Reading Terminal Market... many, many great outdoor beer gardens...

North Philly and Kensington are general stay aways. South and West Philly are better but definitely have dicey areas.

You can take the train from the airport to center city too.

We live in Delco now so we drive and park in the lots south of the venue.

Lemme know if you want any more info on Philly or Camden or whatever.
    Old 01-24-2023, 06:19 PM   #7
    DixiChknTnseLam

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Is this the same venue as BB&T / Tweeter? Looking it up online, it looked different but I didn’t know if it was the same with a new name.
    DixiChknTnseLam is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-24-2023, 06:24 PM   #8
    sheman10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DixiChknTnseLam View Post
    Is this the same venue as BB&T / Tweeter? Looking it up online, it looked different but I didn’t know if it was the same with a new name.
    Same venue. It's changed names many, many, many times
    Old 01-24-2023, 06:32 PM   #9
    sheman10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushB610 View Post
    Can't compare to those I don't think. The only nice thing about Camden is it's close to Philly if you wanna explore the city and then head over to the show.

The venue itself is pretty cookie cutter but it's a pretty good tailgate scene and they usually get a solid couple of shows there.

Honestly that's about it.
    I agree. Nothing special whatsoever about the venue itself. The view of Philly from across the river is pretty cool, but on the other side, it's nothing but lots and urban blight.

It's still a good spot because 1) you'll have fun in Philly and 2) we generally get good sets for some reason.
    Old 01-24-2023, 07:04 PM   #10
    Bearclaw_

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheman10 View Post
    We lived in the city 8 years: rented for two in center city. Then owned a rowhome for six. When we lived in the there, we always took PATCO over the bridge. The ferry is great going to Camden, but a shit show to get back on it after the show.

You'll be fine walking around center city and old city. There will be people all over the place on a summer weekend.

You should probably see Independence Hall. If there's a line for the Liberty Bell, don't bother. Everybody likes the steps of the Art Museum (I don't get it personally. It's a fictional movie character! Anyway...)... Boat House row is pretty cool... Reading Terminal Market... many, many great outdoor beer gardens...

North Philly and Kensington are general stay aways. South and West Philly are better but definitely have dicey areas.

You can take the train from the airport to center city too.

We live in Delco now so we drive and park in the lots south of the venue.

Lemme know if you want any more info on Philly or Camden or whatever.

Thank you for all of your help! Going over this and looking at a map, if I stay in center city by Jefferson station and 8th street, I’ll have easy access to both the airport and patco over the bridge to Camden. Looks like it’s just over half a mile from the patco stop in Camden to the amphitheater. Safe to walk? Will you usually see large groups of people on concert nights? Or should I transfer to the light rail that drops you off by the venue?

Thanks again!
    Old 01-24-2023, 07:15 PM   #11
    crounsa810

My Tour Central Stats

OK let me sell this because it’s my home venue:

Venue wise: the tailgate scene isn’t what it was, but it’s still pretty good. The view of the Philly skyline on a nice summer night with the sun going down and the band coming on is something special. At least twice they’ve launched into Seek Up right as the sun is setting and it’s magical. One of my favorite moments. It’s also pretty decent lawn imo. The Waterfront walk from some of the lots down to the venue is really pretty too. Seriously, the skyline is really great. Camden itself is a shithole but the views of Philly and the Ben Franklin bridge from the waterfront/venue are awesome. Also, we get some pretty decent sets with a couple surprises and special moments now and then. Usually good for a liberation or two or a debut.

As for what to do when in the area? That really depends. I’ll give some options.

What I usually do is get a hotel in Mt. Laurel or Cherry Hill, drive to Haddonfield or Collingswood and take the train in. Easy in, easy out. Traffic leaving the venue can be a bit of a pain in the ass so if you’re able to take a train or ferry to get there, do so. It’s a short walk from the City Hall stop to the venue, and usually you’ve got concert goers making the walk with you. Just be aware of your surroundings like you would anywhere else.

Honestly, I’ve usually been a night person and just hit my 30’s, so I would usually head out to night time activities after the show and sleep in the next day and kinda relax until showtime. Then I do the same N2 and check out the next morning. It’s fine for me because I don’t wanna spend a bunch and grew up in the area so the tourist spots don’t do much for me.

Let’s say you’ve got spare cash and ideal situation: here’s what I’d do. Book 3 nights starting Thursday until Sunday. Stay in Philly if you want, or stay across the river in Mt Laurel (not Camden. Don’t do it.) Check in is usually 3 or 4, so take Thursday to get situated. Whether you’re staying in Philly or Mt. Laurel or Cherry Hill NJ, go out to Collingswood or Haddonfield NJ for dinner. They’re both really nice little towns with great food. Not so much in the way of bars but good restaurants.

Friday and Saturday, explore Philly. Check out Manayunk and Fishtown, Fairmount, Rittenhouse Square, check out the stadiums if you’re a sports fan. If you are like me and are more interested in night time, there’s a lot of fun options. I love Concourse, it’s got an ice bar, a ball pit, slide to the dance floor, a mirror room. It’s a great time. Tons of other clubs and pubs all over town depending on what you’re into.

Or, do all the day time stuff and go to bed after the show. I have no recommendations there, I usually am just reenergizing for the second show. Definitely hit the art museum though, it’s great. Actually go into it though, don’t wait in line for the Rocky statue unless you have an overwhelming need to.

Then after the show on Sunday, explore some of the fun spots on your way back home (unless you’re flying). If you’re driving and going northeast, stop in Princeton and explore the university and the town. There’s a ton of great food and it’s a really nice area. Going north? Stop in the Lehigh Valley and visit Bethlehem or Easton. Again, lots of good food and arts stuff. Lehigh has a beautiful campus as well. Going west? Stop into Chester County. West Chester has a pretty nice main stretch to visit for a bit. Or if you’re going really far, Lancaster is surprisingly interesting. It’s like an actual small city, not just a bunch of Amish farms (although they’re there too and yes, the food is good too). Going south? This might be controversial but stop into Wilmington, DE. Yeah, there’s some shit awful parts but the downtown area is really nice with you guessed it, food. Going east? Idk, enjoy the Pine Barrens I guess.
    Old 01-24-2023, 07:24 PM   #12
    crounsa810

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thank you for all of your help! Going over this and looking at a map, if I stay in center city by Jefferson station and 8th street, I’ll have easy access to both the airport and patco over the bridge to Camden. Looks like it’s just over half a mile from the patco stop in Camden to the amphitheater. Safe to walk? Will you usually see large groups of people on concert nights? Or should I transfer to the light rail that drops you off by the venue?

Thanks again!
    Yeah, that PATCO line will take you right to City Hall. After that, it’s not a bad walk to the venue. Depending how early you get there, you might be walking solo but it’s not awful if you keep your head up and aware of your surroundings. It’s really only like one block that I’ve walked down that was kinda dicey. If you get to the main road the concert traffic is coming in on you’ll be totally fine. There’s always a ton of people walking back after the show too.

Oh! I have never not seen the band on the busses walking out of the venue. It’s nothing special really but it’s a cool moment to see them waving when they go by.

As far as Philly neighborhoods you’ll be fine in: Rittenhouse Square, Fairmount, Manayunk, Fishtown, Mount Airy, Center City.

Don’t go towards Temple. Don’t do it. Strawberry Mansion is not strawberry fields forever. Kensington? No. Nicetown? Very not nice. Allegheny West? Alleseeeyoulater. Fairhill? Fair hell.
    Old 01-24-2023, 07:35 PM   #13
    crounsa810

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Thanks all!
    Also as far as Camden v. WPB, I never made it to WPB last year bc of the cancellation but did check out the venue. I wasn’t impressed. There’s a prison like right next to it. Couple that with South Florida summer death heat, driving in South Florida, and the fact that WPB is mostly just traffic and shitty areas trying to act fancy, Camden is better. I don’t care about the beach, especially not when it’s 100° and humid and with super high UV to then spend the night also outside on oppressive heat and humidity. Sounds miserable to me. I’d take July in Camden over it for sure. It’s hot and muggy sure, but it’s not Devils Anus.
    Old 01-24-2023, 07:49 PM   #14
    sheman10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Thanks again!
    We would get on at 16th/15th, get off at Broadway and walk from there. You'll be fine. People everywhere. Wear comfortable shoes.
    Old 01-24-2023, 08:12 PM   #15
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Good luck getting an uber outside of the venue if you decide to indulge.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-25-2023, 07:11 AM   #16
    cpxc.

Shows Seen: 119

My Tour Central Stats

c u cool cats on the lawn.
    Old 01-25-2023, 03:11 PM   #17
    musicmaster1298

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Will probably come down for 1 or 2 of the nights, although I’ve lately been doing my concert schedule on the fly so we’ll just have to see. Enjoyed the 1 show I saw here last year, been going on and off since 07.
    musicmaster1298 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-25-2023, 04:43 PM   #18
    Ccpn

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Speaking of Ubers, the train plan was what I was thinking crounsa.

Curious if there will be any Lyfts or Ubers to get me out at westmont or Collingswood. I’ve never been to Camden, but am trying to hit different venues each year.

It’s either drive to Camden or fly to northerly, but I’d rather drive if I can help it.
    Ccpn is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 08:16 AM   #19
    Bearclaw_

My Tour Central Stats

Thank you everyone for your help and guidance! Flights/Hotels are booked. Always fun seeing a new venue/city. Specific thanks for the red line and walking suggests. Have a hotel right by the stops on locust so should be fairly easy.

Annoying question but how is the lawn? I'm a flexible and easy going guy, have never cared about grabbing pit/rail, or upper vs. lowers. Unless the lawn is awful, I'll grab it.
    Old 01-26-2023, 08:39 AM   #20
    CrushB610

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Lawn is fine. You’d prob be able to find some uppers for a good price (prob close to what you pay for lawn) if you wait it out.
    Old 01-26-2023, 09:36 AM   #21
    JimBeam41

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Annoying question but how is the lawn? I'm a flexible and easy going guy, have never cared about grabbing pit/rail, or upper vs. lowers. Unless the lawn is awful, I'll grab it.
    The lawn is very chilled now, with the current state of the band/fans, it's no longer full of drunk high school kids. I like to stand in the middle of lawn drinking my $20 beers enjoying the show, you'll be fine. Also, if you are only getting lawn tickets, there really is no need to buy these ahead of time as the lawn wont sell out, buy them at the venue the day of and you'll skip a lot of the fees.
    JimBeam41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 10:03 AM   #22
    Bearclaw_

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushB610 View Post
    Lawn is fine. You’d prob be able to find some uppers for a good price (prob close to what you pay for lawn) if you wait it out.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
    The lawn is very chilled now, with the current state of the band/fans, it's no longer full of drunk high school kids. I like to stand in the middle of lawn drinking my $20 beers enjoying the show, you'll be fine. Also, if you are only getting lawn tickets, there really is no need to buy these ahead of time as the lawn wont sell out, buy them at the venue the day of and you'll skip a lot of the fees.

Thanks for the help! Agree, I almost never use the WH for tickets and just wait it out. Tickets are always available. (Even for SPAC)
    Old 01-26-2023, 10:25 AM   #23
    98yanksFan

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    Good luck getting an uber outside of the venue if you decide to indulge.
    Agreed. I made a grave mistake last year. Was in the back of the Ferry line and decided to attempt an Uber. Walked into hells gates trying to get a pickup location. It was a dumb move.

I've been to many venues. Camden isn't easy logistically compared to others.
    98yanksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-26-2023, 06:35 PM   #24
    crounsa810

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ccpn View Post
    Speaking of Ubers, the train plan was what I was thinking crounsa.

Curious if there will be any Lyfts or Ubers to get me out at westmont or Collingswood. I’ve never been to Camden, but am trying to hit different venues each year.

It’s either drive to Camden or fly to northerly, but I’d rather drive if I can help it.
    There probably are but I mean you can park your car at the train station and it’s literally maybe a 5 minute drive to most of the hotels or maybe 10-15 back into Philly. It’s just easier to park at the train station and ride in than to try to navigate the parking lot
    Old 01-27-2023, 05:24 AM   #25
    LynchFS

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

How bad is the ferry line after the show?
    LynchFS is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2023, 05:34 AM   #26
    98yanksFan

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LynchFS View Post
    Consider it takes 15 minutes to load, 15 minutes across the river, 15 minutes to come back across the river, repeat. Holds a lot of people though.
    98yanksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2023, 05:43 AM   #27
    sheman10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LynchFS View Post
    We tried it years ago and the line was long with people constantly cutting in front. If you're in a rush to get home to the babysitter (for example!), it was frustrating.

If you don't mind waiting a bit, it's fine.
    Old 01-27-2023, 07:03 AM   #28
    LynchFS

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Thank you! Very helpful!
    LynchFS is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2023, 07:41 AM   #29
    Bearclaw_

My Tour Central Stats

From helpful answers here and my own research, it seems both the ferry and the red PATCO line are great options, if you don't mind a little waiting. PATCO is every 30 minutes on weekends after XX time and the ferry will be crowded. Man, in a dream world, they relocate this venue across the river in Philly and everyone is able to walk out, etc.
    Old 01-27-2023, 08:59 AM   #30
    sheman10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    From helpful answers here and my own research, it seems both the ferry and the red PATCO line are great options, if you don't mind a little waiting. PATCO is every 30 minutes on weekends after XX time and the ferry will be crowded. Man, in a dream world, they relocate this venue across the river in Philly and everyone is able to walk out, etc.
    The Mann is way better but much smaller