what will Antsmarching.org be like.... - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-27-2008, 04:28 PM   #61
Steelers36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: what will Antsmarching.org be like....

Quote:
Originally Posted by comerelaxnow View Post
i meant stop listening to the music that you don't like. you said "So you recomend that we just ignore how bad they have been for several years now and just throw our money at them even though we aren't satisfied with what we are hearing?" and all i said was if your not satisfied with it then don't buy it. i didn't say stop listening to DMB all together. nobody is making you buy tickets to shows and buy albums.
I shouldn't have to stop going to shows after all of these years because they insist on playing ten songs that are bad, four that are average, and three that are good. They know their last few albums have been shitty, how could they not.

And you are right, no one made me buy the albums or tickets, and I do not intend to unless proven wrong about what they write while in the studio. However, it does not mean I can't have an opinion simply because it isn't the same as yours. Because I won't spend anymore money does not mean I can't complain about the waste of money that they past few years have been. It may be dissenting from yours and the rest of the DMB ass kissers but it doesn't mean mine can't be expressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comerelaxnow View Post
see this is where i think some fans just over think things. you guys just think that DMB only cares about money and has no concern about their fans and putting on a good show anymore? Dmb is just lazy right?? its like 5 year old children who didn't get a cookie after dinner around here.
This is where some fans are nothing more than DMB apologists. You are willing to keep telling everyone don't worry, they really are committed to making a better album. They road tested songs so it has to be good.

Well the songs they wrote for Stand Up were god awful, as are all of the songs that they have written since. 27, Cornbread, Shotgun, etc aren't worth the ticket price and its a shame that the eternal optimists out there are going to bury their heads in the sand and dump money out for insipid lyrics and boring ass music. Compare the last three years setlists at Riverbend to the setlists at the Gorge, SPAC, and Alpine and tell me that they dont produce better setlists and songs for those venues than others.

No Last Stop, Sweet Up and Down, JTR, Big Eyed Fish, Digging a Ditch, Dreaming Tree, Granny, Joy Ride, Pig, Proudest Monkey, Raven, Say Goodbye, or So Right. Thats damn near enough to fill an entire set. Instead for the last three years we in Cincy have gotten plenty of Bayou, Where are you Going, Too much -> So much to say, Hunger, and Dreamgirl. Hell they were booed when they left the stage in 2006 because the show was so bad.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #62
    OlivePoet
    Olive Gracie! <3

Shows Seen: 88

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

I think Antsmarching.org will be more like high school.
    I thought he was a good looking guy
    Old 02-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #63
    trpnbillie11
    Password is Taco

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Kind of like Chernobyl without the charm.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thestand View Post
    HOW DARE YOU NOT REMEMBER EVERY SPAC SETLIST EVER.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beebz View Post
    June 25, 2005. Hersheypark.

It felt like the surface of Mercury at Hershey that night. And after that partial birth abortion of a show, boiling to death on the first planet from the sun would have actually been preferable.
    Old 02-27-2008, 06:08 PM   #64
    elconguero

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

i'm out if this next album sucks. i kind of hide that i still listen to them in front of my friends as it is. its all good though. dave will probably have at least one more good solo album in him.

i will just go listen to wilco or radiohead(to a lesser extent) who amazingly get better as they get older. bizarre concept right. bands that don't care about the radio or teeny boppers. bands that push themselves and build off of their previous efforts rather then make a 180 just to do it for fun, or when it gets too hard and requires too much effort.

anyone want to hear nels cline on sugar will? i sure as hell do. saw them at the tower last weekend. the guitar attack was ridiculous. i miss tim reynolds.
    Old 02-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #65
    comerelaxnow

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steelers36 View Post
    I shouldn't have to stop going to shows after all of these years because they insist on playing ten songs that are bad, four that are average, and three that are good. They know their last few albums have been shitty, how could they not.

man nobody is saying that you have to stop going to shows. just if you buy a ticket to a DMB concert you have to go in knowing your going to get some Stand Up and Everyday material. and if this is too much of a problem for you and its going to ruin your whole expirence then your better off not wasting your money
    Old 02-28-2008, 08:09 AM   #66
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

And you are right, no one made me buy the albums or tickets, and I do not intend to unless proven wrong about what they write while in the studio. However, it does not mean I can't have an opinion simply because it isn't the same as yours. Because I won't spend anymore money does not mean I can't complain about the waste of money that they past few years have been. It may be dissenting from yours and the rest of the DMB ass kissers but it doesn't mean mine can't be expressed.

This is where some fans are nothing more than DMB apologists. You are willing to keep telling everyone don't worry, they really are committed to making a better album. They road tested songs so it has to be good.

Well the songs they wrote for Stand Up were god awful, as are all of the songs that they have written since. 27, Cornbread, Shotgun, etc aren't worth the ticket price and its a shame that the eternal optimists out there are going to bury their heads in the sand and dump money out for insipid lyrics and boring ass music. Compare the last three years setlists at Riverbend to the setlists at the Gorge, SPAC, and Alpine and tell me that they dont produce better setlists and songs for those venues than others.

No Last Stop, Sweet Up and Down, JTR, Big Eyed Fish, Digging a Ditch, Dreaming Tree, Granny, Joy Ride, Pig, Proudest Monkey, Raven, Say Goodbye, or So Right. Thats damn near enough to fill an entire set. Instead for the last three years we in Cincy have gotten plenty of Bayou, Where are you Going, Too much -> So much to say, Hunger, and Dreamgirl. Hell they were booed when they left the stage in 2006 because the show was so bad.
    A Steelers fan in Cincinatti--combining two of America's worst things in one package. Just kidding man...but not really.

I don't really know what to tell you. If you don't like their concerts don't gp. If you think their albums suck, don't buy them. I don't think the band is going to sweat the loss of Steelers36. I agree that their last two albums were bad (how anyone can think that Stand Up is worse than Everyday is beyond me. Stand Up was subpar. Everyday was an abortion of an album that should have been drowned in a bathtub). But regardless, with more bad albums out there, there's a higher percentage that songs you dont like will be played. It's just math. Not everything in their library is gold anymore.

And I don't even know what "I shouldn't have to stop going to shows after all of these years" means. It's their music. They can play what they want. If you don't want to hear it, either come up with something better on your own or take the good with the band and enjoy the band for what it is. I'm certainly no DMB apologist, and I don't think many of the other people on these boards are either, but they put out A+ work for nearly a decade. That earns them a long leash, even with the ED and SU hiccups factored in.

As for the venue, its hit and miss. Do some places get better shows that others more frequently? Maybe. They've played Hershey for 7 years straight before 2007, and I saw one of the best shows the band has put on there (2004) and one of its all-time worst (2005). You have to take that into consideration when buying tickets.

My expectations aren't high for this album. The last two were below average and there's nothing to indicate that a new one will be anywhere near the big 3. In fact, I'll be even more disappointed than I was with ED and SU if the band comes out with an album of studio-recorded cuts of all the songs they developed on your the last two years. THAT's lazy. THAT's uninspiried. Say what you will about the previous two albums, but at least they tried their hand at new music. Three or four of the those songs is fine--they're writing and preforming them for a reason--but don't simply lay down 15 tracks of tour songs and call it a new album.

Oh, and Roethlisberger never scored on that TD run in the Super Bowl. He was short.
    Old 02-28-2008, 08:26 AM   #67
    pele0069
    I was Wet 6-11-01

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbianca1982 View Post

They've played Hershey for 7 years straight before 2007, and I saw one of the best shows the band has put on there (2004) and one of its all-time worst (2005). You have to take that into consideration when buying tickets.

Ive been to Hershey a few times and it is a terrible place to see a show... Every year i went i swore i wasn't going to go and every year i was disappointed.....
    Also I havent been to a show since 03 and dont plan on it ... when i started going to shows they were like 20 bucks for lawns in camden now i dont even know how much they are i would guess over 50 for lawns.... I remember i could road trip for like 5 shows or 6 shows in a row for under 400 bucks with hotels and gas now thats impossible...i just cant see spending that much money for a band that quite frankly isnt that good as they used to be...
    Give me any set from 98-01 and Ill def go
    Old 02-28-2008, 08:29 AM   #68
    Northerntube

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    27, Cornbread, Shotgun, etc aren't worth the ticket price and its a shame that the eternal optimists out there are going to bury their heads in the sand and dump money out for insipid lyrics and boring ass music.
    Unless, of course, some people don't feel the same way about these songs as you do.

I know this is really, really hard for some to understand but there really are people out there who kinda dig their latest stuff, including me and I've been listening to these guys since 1995. Earlier in this thread you made a comment like "speaking on behalf of older fans". You can only speak on behalf of yourself. Doing otherwise does not serve your arguments well at all.

I feel no shame whatsoever for enjoying what I enjoy and resent the suggestion that I should.

Bear in mind, I'm not saying they're hitting it out of the park on each and every new song at each and every show but I don't accept the premise that their shows and songs suddenly suck because it's not 1997 (or wherever you draw your own line) anymore.
    Old 02-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #69
    webbo_5
    Baboon Farm Owner

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

If the band releases another shitty album, this place will be exactly the same. Christ, they haven't released a good studio album since I've been a member so I don't look for much of a change.
    Old 02-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #70
    Point202
    Frankly my dear...

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    A Steelers fan in Cincinatti--combining two of America's worst things in one package. Just kidding man...but not really.
    I totally agree with your side of the argument bbianca, but I have to come to Steelers36's defense here. Say what you will about his opinion on DMB, but really, how does bashing the Steelers (or a Steelers fan from Cinci for that matter) advance this discussion?
    Old 02-28-2008, 06:44 PM   #71
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

My Tour Central Stats

Oh, it doesn't advance the discussion at all. Point granted. What it does do, though, is advance laughs out of my belly into the air.

I'm a Ravens fan living in Pennsylvania. I got cheesesteaks from Philly on one end chanting E-A-G-L-E-S every time I walk into a bar, no matter what the season, and Steelers fans waving that ridiculous yellow towel around and saying Terry Bradshaw was the greatest QB over to play the game on the other. I'll take the jokes where I can get them.
    Old 02-29-2008, 12:50 AM   #72
    VanHorneDog
    Loving Wings

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

i think we are looking at a album that is as good as Busted Stuff if not a little better.

the album quality will be good, the songs will translate live and in the end the we will not love or hate the album but LOVE the songs live when they play them.

Shotgun in studio will be interesting, but i think it wont live up. but since they will "finalize" it they will have a product to bass improvements off of, not complete retools or rewrites.
    Old 02-29-2008, 04:16 AM   #73
    Point202
    Frankly my dear...

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oh, it doesn't advance the discussion at all. Point granted. What it does do, though, is advance laughs out of my belly into the air.

I'm a Ravens fan living in Pennsylvania. I got cheesesteaks from Philly on one end chanting E-A-G-L-E-S every time I walk into a bar, no matter what the season, and Steelers fans waving that ridiculous yellow towel around and saying Terry Bradshaw was the greatest QB over to play the game on the other. I'll take the jokes where I can get them.
    That must've been a funny sight to see.
    Old 02-29-2008, 06:20 AM   #74
    buzz05232000
    In Flynn We Trust

Shows Seen: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benco View Post
    Many people will leave for good.

http://www.last.fm/user/buzz05232000
    Old 02-29-2008, 06:21 AM   #75
    kjam1988

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

The next album is going to be epic.
    Old 02-29-2008, 10:38 PM   #76
    CoffeeJanitor

My Tour Central Stats

There will be bitching.
    Old 03-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #77
    webbo_5
    Baboon Farm Owner

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjam1988 View Post
    The next album is going to be epic.
    Old 03-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #78
    amoore624426
    Smoke Weed

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

when is panic at the discos new cd coming out? oh im sorry PANIC! at the disco.
    Old 03-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #79
    DOCLOG*

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

it will be a happening place
    b/c if the album is good
    people around here wont have anything to bltch about
    and that would be the day that the world ends
    Old 03-03-2008, 01:36 AM   #80
    comerelaxnow

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DOCLOG* View Post
    it will be a happening place
    b/c if the album is good
    people around here wont have anything to bltch about
    and that would be the day that the world ends
    this will never happen