Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread - Page 390 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-10-2021, 11:20 AM   #11671
jwrice5

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread

I find the segue between ASTB>PNP on LT2 to be quite impressive. To have all of them transition on a dime the way they do is really something to hear.

Also, even though it's been beaten to death, but they really need a violin and to get rid of lead electric... they are just a "regular rock" band now, and while I still enjoy the band they are obviously lacking in the main areas that made them unique and drew me (and many of us) in: violin and unique acoustic guitar riffs.
jwrice5 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-10-2021, 11:35 AM   #11672
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

I don't see them getting rid of Tim as long as he wants to be there. There are so many songs now where the lead electric is an integral part. Seven, Why I Am, Rooftop, YMDT, Corn Bread, etc.

I suppose they could pull those or rework them, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon.
    Old 03-10-2021, 11:39 AM   #11673
    jwrice5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    I don't see them getting rid of Tim as long as he wants to be there. There are so many songs now where the lead electric is an integral part. Seven, Why I Am, Rooftop, YMDT, Corn Bread, etc.

I suppose they could pull those or rework them, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon.
    Putting Tim on an acoustic would be preferred. I don't particularly love the songs with a strong focus on the lead electric.
    Old 03-10-2021, 12:53 PM   #11674
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Well, Tim is 63 years old, I don’t see him playing forever, as I wish for Carter
    Old 03-10-2021, 01:02 PM   #11675
    Route_2
    What Album?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    Well, Tim is 63 years old, I don’t see him playing forever, as I wish for Carter
    Yes, there is age in the subtext. Carter is the ultimate limiter on the longevity of the band.
    Old 03-11-2021, 05:22 AM   #11676
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes, there is age in the subtext. Carter is the ultimate limiter on the longevity of the band.

That’s a clever consideration.

We all should keep on mind that the band has most likely 6-7 years in front of them, not more than that, so these coming tours (when it will be possible) will be a must see for every fan.
    Old 03-11-2021, 07:18 AM   #11677
    GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    That’s a clever consideration.

We all should keep on mind that the band has most likely 6-7 years in front of them, not more than that, so these coming tours (when it will be possible) will be a must see for every fan.
    That's definitely the spirit with which to look at upcoming tours. After seeing some 70ish shows before 2004 (+ some not full concerts but live events), I have only seen DMB once in the last 17 yrs. So even without the massive pause that Covid gave so many of us, and the reflections on blessings, I'd probably be considering a show in the coming years anyway.

But thinking about ages of the band (I had assumed I'd gotten older but they had stayed same ages ), this point about Carter really hits home. Plus comments made in the thread about his drumsticks that he seems "less joyful" in recent years, less energized though still a great drummer and showman.

I'll also say this though... I'm not a massive Soundgarden or Temple of the Dog fan, but I do love them and respect both a lot. When Soundgarden last toured I thought "How much trouble will I go through to see a show since they're not playing my city?" and work and parenting just meant no, too much trouble, not gonna do it. And we all know what tragedy interrupted that tour...

So I also don't even assume any band I like has 6-7 yrs left. I look at the opportunity to see a band I'm serious about seeing as "Do what you can to get there, because you just never know...." Just like with Roi, who would have ever predicted a 4-wheeler accident? So hopefully they have 7, 10, longer left (Hello Rolling Stones!). But I don't assume anything, and I will go when I can, or make it happen if I can.
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2021, 07:22 AM   #11678
    GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

My Tour Central Stats

And on the above, I also ENJOY IT when I get there, I try to be fully in the moment and remember to enjoy it like I may not see it again. I did that with a band I love that's only been around for 5 yrs, members all in their 20s and 30s, and all signs point to a VERY long career for them. But I treated my last couple of shows of theirs on their last tour as if I might never see then again, tries to relish them. Last show of theirs was end of Nov 2019. Thank gosh I relished it, who could have imagined 2020 being what it was...
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2021, 09:16 AM   #11679
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I saw the Stones in Denver in 2019, Charlie Watts is still very much their drummer and he's 79 now. Carter could easily keep going for another decade.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2021, 10:51 AM   #11680
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    I saw the Stones in Denver in 2019, Charlie Watts is still very much their drummer and he's 79 now. Carter could easily keep going for another decade.
    If he stays healthy he could go on for decadeS, but he's a much different drummer than Charlie. He will lose strength, speed, etc. As a master musician, however, he will adapt and create new wonderful parts. Many fans will neither notice nor mind, but others will...hopefully they are equally adaptive.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2021, 02:23 PM   #11681
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

The Stones also had quite a break from touring; DMB has been at it pretty much non-stop since their inception. The Band made The Last Waltz as a way to quit after 12 years on the road because they thought continuing was tempting fate. A different era, to be sure, but 30 years of nearly non-stop touring takes a toll. Carter still seems to be loving it, and hopefully nothing arthritic comes into view

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-12-2021, 09:45 AM   #11682
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I really wish they'd just get more creative with the who gets leads in those parts. I don't like that Tim has just "covered" for Boyd's parts on almost everything since he left.. Example: the song that jane likes.. That intro does not need Tim solo ing all over it hap hazardly.. It's like it was thrown on a set in 2018 and they just looked at Tim to play something there, but he's never really defined the part... It's lazy at best and they could easily do something creative and new with it. They do this with Ants, Billies, Seek Up.. Just a few classics that IMO if they don't add a violin again, just need a refresh in what is going to be done with them...
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #11683
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

What are we considering the 20th anniversary of Lillywhite Sessions? There needs to be a thread for that. It was sometime in March 01, I know that. That would make a great thread for some stories.
    KevinTH is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-13-2021, 10:23 AM   #11684
    sean52692

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    What are we considering the 20th anniversary of Lillywhite Sessions? There needs to be a thread for that. It was sometime in March 01, I know that. That would make a great thread for some stories.
    https://i.imgur.com/6k8Lr0E.gif
    sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-13-2021, 11:14 AM   #11685
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread

I love this

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FsQ54VrOJ1s
    Old 03-14-2021, 03:44 PM   #11686
    TypicalBilly14

My Tour Central Stats

The merchandise from the Millers website shop is legit, including their snapback hats and shirts.
    TypicalBilly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #11687
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Let's get the band back together! I was hoping to get some news about a DMB tour and of course the new album, it's been way too long without any good news from DMB.

Gov't Mule is playing live shows again. Nothing stopping DMB from doing the same.

https://jambands.com/news/2021/03/15...eid=d8508f7754

Gov’t Mule will return to the stage on April 30 and May 1 at The Westville Music Bowl in New Haven, Conn.

Organizers promise “the full concert experience of stadium-quality staging, sound, lights, and video in a socially distanced, outdoor environment.”

Seats will be sold in pods of two or four
    Old 03-16-2021, 05:28 AM   #11688
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Although, I would have to imagine the expected attendance for both is a bit disprportionate

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2021, 06:22 AM   #11689
    SPAC_Boy

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone here have a good legal source for 3.7.1999? Not sure if there is a SBD, matrix or a really good tape for it?
    SPAC_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2021, 08:53 AM   #11690
    Route_2
    What Album?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SPAC_Boy View Post
    Anyone here have a good legal source for 3.7.1999? Not sure if there is a SBD, matrix or a really good tape for it?
    Is this recording really bad? I haven't listened.

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=338697
    Old 03-16-2021, 09:40 PM   #11691
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

They should make an album one day called "The Best of What's Around Vol. 2" and it should have one disc full of unreleased studio tracks, and another full of live performances. It'd be a counterpart to the greatest hits album, like Devo's "Greatest Misses".
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2021, 04:17 AM   #11692
    jwrice5

My Tour Central Stats

Listening to CT this morning, and while it is by no means a cohesive album, there are some really good individual parts.

VITR is a great song. Period.

She is heavy, rocks, and I really dig it.

I don’t like the production of IOY but I love the song... so, yeah...I suppose same can be said for BBB

Again and Again is strong, even though I think they should have played up the horns a bit more.

I also like HOO, DYR, and WIW, but those should have been saved for a Dave solo album.
    Old 03-17-2021, 04:34 AM   #11693
    mquerques92

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwrice5 View Post
    Listening to CT this morning, and while it is by no means a cohesive album, there are some really good individual parts.

VITR is a great song. Period.

She is heavy, rocks, and I really dig it.

I don’t like the production of IOY but I love the song... so, yeah...I suppose same can be said for BBB

Again and Again is strong, even though I think they should have played up the horns a bit more.

I also like HOO, DYR, and WIW, but those should have been saved for a Dave solo album.
    Theres only a very small handful of songs from the previous two albums that are as good as or better than these. If this album was more cohesive and better produced there was some real potential there.
    mquerques92 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2021, 05:02 AM   #11694
    jwrice5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    <div class="pre-quote">
    Quote de <strong>jwrice5</strong>
    </div>

<div class="post-quote">
    <div style="font-style:italic">Listening to CT this morning, and while it is by no means a cohesive album, there are some really good individual parts. <br>
    <br>
    <b>VITR</b> is a great song. Period.<br>
    <br>
    She is heavy, rocks, and I really dig it.<br>
    <br>
    I don’t like the production of IOY but I love the song... so, yeah...I suppose same can be said for <b>BBB</b><br>
    <br>
    <b>Again and Again</b> is strong, even though I think they should have played up the horns a bit more.<br>
    <br>
    I also like HOO, DYR, and WIW, but those should have been saved for a Dave solo album.</div>
    </div>Theres only a very small handful of songs from the previous two albums that are as good as or better than these. If this album was more cohesive and better produced there was some real potential there.
    Agreed. They could have had a GREAT ep with this release, but they crammed in a bunch of stuff that doesn’t really go together.

CT is the anti-BTCS in terms of album cohesiveness.
    Old 03-17-2021, 05:39 AM   #11695
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

^ Just wait until the "Cavallo Sessions" leak in another 7 years. Seems that's how this band releases their best material. /s

Seriously though... I can't figure out why they shelved the 2015 album for 3 years only to cannibalize it. The epitome of over thinking it.
    Old 03-17-2021, 05:47 AM   #11696
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I like CT more than anything since the ED/BS days, a lot of good stuff on it
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2021, 05:57 AM   #11697
    mquerques92

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    The songs are better, but the album is not (IMO).

I'd rank the songs for each of the last four albums like this:

SU
    CT
    BW
    AFTW

But the actual albums like this:

BW
    AFTW
    CT
    SU
    mquerques92 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2021, 06:49 AM   #11698
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Oh, absolutely. There's about 7 songs on the album that are some of their best studio tracks. It's just that 6 those 7 tracks that I love from CT happen to all be from the Cavallo sessions. I'm certain that the album would've been great instead of just good (imo) if they would've stuck with Cavallo. 2 full albums, 1 with Cavallo (2015), 1 with Batson (2018) would've worked better I think.
    Old 03-17-2021, 06:59 AM   #11699
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mquerques92 View Post
    The songs are better, but the album is not (IMO).

I'd rank the songs for each of the last four albums like this:

SU
    CT
    BW
    AFTW

But the actual albums like this:

BW
    AFTW
    CT
    SU

Yeah, I personally just look at albums as a group of songs, and with DMB a group of songs to be played live as they are a live band. That being said I like SU a lot more than most. I understand a lot of Ants put value on the cohesiveness of an album but it's just really not something I've ever put stock into.
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-21-2021, 09:00 AM   #11700
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

I watched today this old Ants Marching at the Gorge, at I was blasted.
    I need your knowledge here: anyone knows which year is this show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQWB_IzhzEs
    Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote