New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 25 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-04-2021, 01:58 PM   #721
CapnHani06
JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
Don't forget the original Can't Stop from the Batson Sessions. Biggest mistake they ever made with that song is releasing it without the eastern section.

"Into the eastern..."

https://soundcloud.com/michelle-eise...sions-2#t=3:16
The only kinda cool thing that came out of that is Dave still sings the "Into the eastern..." line right before the outro in both the CT studio cut and live, despite dropping the eastern section entirely. A real if you know, you know kind of moment. Like a vestigial organ.
- Sean

Last edited by CapnHani06; 01-04-2021 at 02:00 PM.
CapnHani06 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #722
    Dagwin

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, it kind of sucks to know that Dave probably likes Stand Up and Come Tomorrow better than the Big 3. And unfortunately, he's fully grabbed the bull by the horns when it comes to the albums now, so we can only expect more of the same. Dave doesn't really like the music that we like from the band. Of course I'm not speaking for everyone. Just those that agree that the Big 3 plus the Lillywhite Sessions were the pinnacle for this band. I wish Dave loved those albums, and realized his fans love them, and that he desired to please the majority of his fan base. But he simply wants to make the music that he likes, which unfortunately isn't my taste.

I know that sounds kind of weird. That he's the front man of my favorite band, and I don't like his taste in music. Lol.
    Dagwin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2021, 02:59 PM   #723
    nhamilton07

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Hopefully not completely off topic but I was listening to Alanis Morissette's interview on Howard Stern from a few years back and they were discussing the anniversary of Jagged Little Pill. She was saying how all the songs were recorded in about 15 minutes which made me laugh because isn't that what happened with Everyday pretty much?

She also said she had to kind of take the writing process away from Ballad after she wasn't liking the lyrics he was writing for her.

Definitely glad his name hasn't popped up in talks these years.
    nhamilton07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-05-2021, 03:52 PM   #724
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dagwin View Post
    Yeah, it kind of sucks to know that Dave probably likes Stand Up and Come Tomorrow better than the Big 3. And unfortunately, he's fully grabbed the bull by the horns when it comes to the albums now, so we can only expect more of the same. Dave doesn't really like the music that we like from the band. Of course I'm not speaking for everyone. Just those that agree that the Big 3 plus the Lillywhite Sessions were the pinnacle for this band. I wish Dave loved those albums, and realized his fans love them, and that he desired to please the majority of his fan base. But he simply wants to make the music that he likes, which unfortunately isn't my taste.

I know that sounds kind of weird. That he's the front man of my favorite band, and I don't like his taste in music. Lol.
    Agreed! His taste in his own music is baffling. When you've got beautiful songs like Spoon, Dodo, Cigarette Lit, etc. just collecting dust while playing a shithole song like Louisiana Bayou every other show... just doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nhamilton07 View Post
    Hopefully not completely off topic but I was listening to Alanis Morissette's interview on Howard Stern from a few years back and they were discussing the anniversary of Jagged Little Pill. She was saying how all the songs were recorded in about 15 minutes which made me laugh because isn't that what happened with Everyday pretty much?

She also said she had to kind of take the writing process away from Ballad after she wasn't liking the lyrics he was writing for her.

Definitely glad his name hasn't popped up in talks these years.
    Don't blame Ballard for Everyday... blame the greedy ass Bruce Flohr, RCA and Coran for thinking they could recreate the success of JLP by using the same producer.
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #725
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I'm sure there was some of that, but if you objectively look at LWS they weren't altogether wrong. I love those songs, but I can certainly see how that collection of songs we know from those sessions would feel depressed as a whole to the casual listener. Remember, the casual listener is who an album is targeted at (or at least was). The devoted are going to buy it regardless. The casual is what needs to be convinced. The source material is at fault. Alanis had moved on from depression to angry with most of the JLP songs, Dave was very much in a depression while the LWS songs were being created. If they could have blended the LWS songs and the ED songs into a strong record (even a 2LP), history would have gone differently.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2021, 11:07 AM   #726
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

So, still no actual news on a/the new album...bummer...

At least we've moved on from the CT bashing. That crap was old and tired 2 1/2 years ago.

Last edited by grilldanmo; 01-06-2021 at 11:08 AM.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-06-2021, 11:34 AM   #727
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Still havent gotten the Happy New Year Warehouse email yet though...
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2021, 10:19 AM   #728
    ravens24

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 View Post
    Absolutely. I've actually never heard anything like the studio production on BW, which is probably why it sticks with me so much. It was like a game to discover elements in BW that I hadn't noticed before. Like I heard Dave whispering overdubs of "drum beats louder" in Squirm years after listening to that song, but once I heard them it felt exciting. The layers and depth to that album is unrivaled.

(Also love the connective tissues on that album, Carter screaming YEAH at the end of SMLAM, Rob saying "you can go" right before Why I Am crashes in, Dave whispering "relax" at the top of Time Bomb- I love that shit.)

My biggest hope for DMB albums after were that we could get that same feeling of layered exploration of studio magic. Which is why I've been hoping for Cavallo to get another full chance at an album, but in vain of course.
    Solid take.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts lately. Just looking at the CT album it's funny DOTHS wasn't on there. Expectations are high for this summer!
    ravens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2021, 11:03 AM   #729
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eggsrsweet View Post
    Don't blame Ballard for Everyday... blame the greedy ass Bruce Flohr, RCA and Coran for thinking they could recreate the success of JLP by using the same producer.
    I agree - Ballard did what he was hired to do.
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2021, 01:57 PM   #730
    nhamilton07

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Agreed! His taste in his own music is baffling. When you've got beautiful songs like Spoon, Dodo, Cigarette Lit, etc. just collecting dust while playing a shithole song like Louisiana Bayou every other show... just doesn't make any sense.

Wasn’t blaming anyone. Just said it was funny that those songs were recorded in a quick fashion as well.
    nhamilton07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2021, 02:04 PM   #731
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Taylor Swift released two albums several months apart in this pandemic, there's no reason why DMB can't give us one with all the material we know they have that they're sitting on. Just my take.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2021, 02:17 PM   #732
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Taylor Swift released two albums several months apart in this pandemic, there's no reason why DMB can't give us one with all the material we know they have that they're sitting on. Just my take.
    And they're both good. She's a force.

Would love a surprise album drop by our band...well past thinking the way they distribute music through the channels available to them is going to change though.
    Old 01-08-2021, 02:33 PM   #733
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post

Would love a surprise album drop by our band...well past thinking the way they distribute music through the channels available to them is going to change though.

It would even be nice just to check my Spotify Release Radar on a Friday morning and find a surprise single one of these weeks.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2021, 02:37 PM   #734
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Agreed. She's beyond amazing. Lots of mockups posted in this thread that would satiate many of us.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2021, 08:36 AM   #735
    eggsrsweet

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nhamilton07 View Post
    Wasn’t blaming anyone. Just said it was funny that those songs were recorded in a quick fashion as well.
    Yeah, but I do think some good could come out of a Ballard x Dave writing session. Seems like Ballard kick starts things into gear which I think could be good for Dave after the six year gap between albums. As much as I think Everyday is a huge step down from BTCS, I still like it overall. The writing on ED is a lot better than 90% of the shit he’s been churning out the last 15 years.
    Old 01-09-2021, 08:38 AM   #736
    eggsrsweet

My Tour Central Stats

Before Stand Up came out, didn’t Stefan say they were considering Dr. Dre to be their producer? I swear I heard that at some point.
    Old 01-09-2021, 09:14 AM   #737
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Before Stand Up came out, didn’t Stefan say they were considering Dr. Dre to be their producer? I swear I heard that at some point.
    I don't remember Dre being discussed as a producer but Stefan definitely said they were making some tracks that were going to getting bumped in "da clubz."
    Old 01-09-2021, 01:57 PM   #738
    KClaw

Shows Seen: 62

My Tour Central Stats

I think BIG WHISKEY is their best album since BUSTED STUFF in a walk, really. It's so well produced, the drums sound great, and Dave has guitar solos! It was a special and healing time as well with the loss of Roi which makes the album a little more significant. It feels really cohesive and at the time I understood why Jeff and Rashawn didn't jam much on it much since it seemed to me like they wanted to get all the Roi licks in there that they could. Then AFTW seemed like a natural progression featuring more of the newer players jamming. That's definitely what a miss from Come Tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, there's good stuff on there but it's not as cohesive of a DMB album. Anyway, I know this has all been hashed out. Just jonesing for some new album news!!
    KClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2021, 02:30 PM   #739
    KClaw

Shows Seen: 62

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KClaw View Post
    I think BIG WHISKEY is their best album since BUSTED STUFF in a walk, really. It's so well produced, the drums sound great, and Dave has guitar solos! It was a special and healing time as well with the loss of Roi which makes the album a little more significant. It feels really cohesive and at the time I understood why Jeff and Rashawn didn't jam much on it much since it seemed to me like they wanted to get all the Roi licks in there that they could. Then AFTW seemed like a natural progression featuring more of the newer players jamming. That's definitely what a miss from Come Tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, there's good stuff on there but it's not as cohesive of a DMB album. Anyway, I know this has all been hashed out. Just jonesing for some new album news!!
    And maybe jam out Time Bomb more and toss in Beach Ball from the bonus discuss and it takes it next level.
    KClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2021, 09:30 AM   #740
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KClaw View Post
    Is there a list of Roi's tracks / parts that were used for Big Whiskey? I know he's on a few, but I'm curious about certain tracks
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2021, 09:33 AM   #741
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    Is there a list of Roi's tracks / parts that were used for Big Whiskey? I know he's on a few, but I'm curious about certain tracks
    Grux, Lying in the Hands of God, Why I Am and Seven are all definitely Roi. Don't recall about others off the too of my head.
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2021, 09:47 AM   #742
    sean52692

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

On BWGK, Roi is everything except for Squirm I think.
    sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2021, 10:49 AM   #743
    paulg83
    Probably just rage

Shows Seen: 66

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
    Came here to say this.
    Old 01-10-2021, 11:16 AM   #744
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Grux, Lying in the Hands of God, Why I Am and Seven are all definitely Roi. Don't recall about others off the too of my head.
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulg83 View Post
    Came here to say this.
    Thanks guys, that's awesome. Didn't realize they were that far along with recording before his passing.

I wonder if Roi was on the Little Red Bird EP at all.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2021, 08:46 PM   #745
    Thirtyfouroi

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dagwin View Post

Dave loves every single one of his albums. And he wrote just about every song on those first three albums on his own. So the thought process above is a little backwards. Since the first three, the band as been a much larger part of the writing process from start to finish. Dave likes this writing process, having all involved, and is why he may seem more enthusiastic about the latest albums, because of the process.. other than the first three were written and recorded 25 years ago and are a distant memory for them I'm sure.

If you are talking about his taste in music and want to Listen specifically to his taste in music, refer yourself to the "big 3." Those songs were written solely by Dave.

Other than that, have you been to a show lately? You ever hear a song from this first three being played? What is played at a show is the best indicator of Dave's preference as Dave writes the set... (am I really explaining this?)

Last edited by Thirtyfouroi; 01-10-2021 at 08:48 PM.
    Thirtyfouroi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2021, 07:11 AM   #746
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The idea was floated of them going with a hip-hop producer in March '04, around the time of the performance with the Roots for the NAACP awards show. He said that, but it was in a daydreaming context of Fonzi wanting it, not actively discussing it with Dre. I guess they forgot about him in the end ... you know how MFers act.

Quote:
    I believe Squirm was the only one where the main sax lines didn't originate from Roi, but I thought Coffin added harmony and complimentary layers to some of the other tracks just to fill out the sound.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com

Last edited by Dodo36; 01-11-2021 at 07:13 AM.
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2021, 07:37 AM   #747
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dodo36 View Post
    The idea was floated of them going with a hip-hop producer in March '04, around the time of the performance with the Roots for the NAACP awards show. He said that, but it was in a daydreaming context of Fonzi wanting it, not actively discussing it with Dre. I guess they forgot about him in the end ... you know how MFers act.

I believe Squirm was the only one where the main sax lines didn't originate from Roi, but I thought Coffin added harmony and complimentary layers to some of the other tracks just to fill out the sound.
    I remember Dave saying "thank God for Jeff" in relation to Squirm. I believe he said he came up with the middle eastern sax riff, from what Dave said when the album was released.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2021, 06:37 PM   #748
    jwrice5

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    <div class="pre-quote">
    ...not actively discussing it with Dre. I guess they forgot about him in the end ... you know how MFers act.
    This had me laughing my ass off!
    jwrice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2021, 06:43 AM   #749
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Quote:

Not intended to hijack this thread, but yes. The two albums she released are incredible.

And yes. DMB has a TON of material that they could do something with. Never really understood why they didn't capitalize on this fact over the years.

But Stefan tweeting that he "safely went to Virginia to record a new album with DMB" obviously means that something is coming. And probably soon.

Bands/artists just don't announce their new stuff anymore. Look at (previously mentioned) Taylor Swift and Eminem. Both of them dropped their last 4 albums without any prior notification. We basically found out day of.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2021, 06:55 AM   #750
    uwdavefan

Shows Seen: 80

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwrice5 View Post
    This had me laughing my ass off!
    I have to agree, that was amazing
    uwdavefan is offline   Reply With Quote