I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #31
dmbbearcat
 
dmbbearcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 14,717

Shows Seen: 16

Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive View Post
This is an incredibly awful string of back-to-back posts right here.
And this is an incredibly great post
__________________
My Blog
My Facebook

- Evan
dmbbearcat is offline  

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #32
    coldblueice
     
    Join Date: Mar 2002
    Posts: 1,359

    Shows Seen: 20

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Baby BLue is a good song but it sounds like it's straight off of Some Devil.
    coldblueice is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #33
    solsburyhill
    MM #57
     
    solsburyhill's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2007
    Location: Carolina
    Posts: 10,778

    Shows Seen: 8

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldblueice View Post
    Baby BLue is a good song but it sounds like it's straight off of Some Devil.
    is that bad?
    __________________
    Bryan

    solsburyhill is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #34
    solsburyhill
    MM #57
     
    solsburyhill's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2007
    Location: Carolina
    Posts: 10,778

    Shows Seen: 8

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Born To Run View Post
    funny the way it is >>>>>>> baby blue > spaceman
    that can't be a real post.
    __________________
    Bryan

    solsburyhill is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #35
    Arby
    We Have The Meats
     
    Arby's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Posts: 85,026

    Shows Seen: 24

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seekupchuck View Post
    this song is a.) ripped off of sister, b.) all over the place, c.) musically boring, d.) forced lyrically e.)vocally weak, f.) ripped off of sister.

    sounds like a cat stevens turd with those strings
    You like....music? At all?


    All over the place. Im learning the song on guitar now, and I assure you its not. It just takes some familiarizing. But if you're looking for songs that don't go anywhere at all musically, I recommend the 2005 chart-topper, Stand Up.
    __________________
    -Arby

    Last edited by Arby; 06-07-2009 at 06:56 PM.
    Arby is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #36
    SmoothD41
    Hoosiers
     
    SmoothD41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Location: Indy
    Posts: 17,449

    Shows Seen: 54

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seekupchuck View Post
    this song is a.) ripped off of sister, b.) all over the place, c.) musically boring, d.) forced lyrically e.)vocally weak, f.) ripped off of sister.

    sounds like a cat stevens turd with those strings


    Baby Blue shits ALL OVER Sister. As someone else mentioned, Dave turned something incredibly cheesy and awful (Sister) into something honest and beautiful (Baby Blue). Not sure what you mean by all over the place, so I won't comment on that; however, the music is beautiful, the lyrics evoke or nearly evoke tears from most that listen to it, and I think it is easily top 10 all time as far as Dave's vocals go....flawless.
    __________________

    SmoothD41 is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #37
    seekupchuck
     
    seekupchuck's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Posts: 12,239

    Shows Seen: 52

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by som3d3vil34 View Post
    You like....music? At all?


    All over the place. Im learning the song on guitar now, and I assure you its not. It just takes some familiarizing. But if you're looking for songs that don't go anywhere at all musically, I recommend the 2005 chart-topper, Stand Up.

    I already knew it on guitar when I learned Sister.

    Yes I like music. There is zero continuity in the song, for me. It is awkward sounding. Are you trying to tell me Dave's voice sounds good on this? Let me guess, they captured the desperation and emotion in his voice, thats what I am hearing? Sure.

    Just my opinion.

    Hey! I have an idea for the last 2 tracks! Lets sit Carter and the horns on the bench.
    __________________
    "By a continuing process of inflation, government can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens."
    .............-John Maynard Keynes
    seekupchuck is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #38
    seekupchuck
     
    seekupchuck's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Posts: 12,239

    Shows Seen: 52

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothD41 View Post


    Baby Blue shits ALL OVER Sister. As someone else mentioned, Dave turned something incredibly cheesy and awful (Sister) into something honest and beautiful (Baby Blue). Not sure what you mean by all over the place, so I won't comment on that; however, the music is beautiful, the lyrics evoke or nearly evoke tears from most that listen to it, and I think it is easily top 10 all time as far as Dave's vocals go....flawless.
    wow. music is truely subjective cuz I think it is awful, vocally. I also like sister much, much better.
    __________________
    "By a continuing process of inflation, government can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens."
    .............-John Maynard Keynes
    seekupchuck is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #39
    sugarwill7
     
    sugarwill7's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Posts: 775

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seekupchuck View Post
    this song is a.) ripped off of sister, b.) all over the place, c.) musically boring, d.) forced lyrically e.)vocally weak, f.) ripped off of sister.

    sounds like a cat stevens turd with those strings
    __________________
    back at last
    sugarwill7 is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #40
    SmoothD41
    Hoosiers
     
    SmoothD41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Location: Indy
    Posts: 17,449

    Shows Seen: 54

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seekupchuck View Post
    wow. music is truely subjective cuz I think it is awful, vocally. I also like sister much, much better.
    man, wow is right...

    hey, i guess this place would be boring as shit if everyone thought the same.
    __________________

    SmoothD41 is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #41
    sugarwill7
     
    sugarwill7's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Posts: 775

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothD41 View Post


    Baby Blue shits ALL OVER Sister. As someone else mentioned, Dave turned something incredibly cheesy and awful (Sister) into something honest and beautiful (Baby Blue). Not sure what you mean by all over the place, so I won't comment on that; however, the music is beautiful, the lyrics evoke or nearly evoke tears from most that listen to it, and I think it is easily top 10 all time as far as Dave's vocals go....flawless.
    __________________
    back at last
    sugarwill7 is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #42
    dmbbearcat
     
    dmbbearcat's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Location: Cincinnati
    Posts: 14,717

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seekupchuck View Post
    wow. music is truely subjective cuz I think it is awful, vocally. I also like sister much, much better.
    __________________
    My Blog
    My Facebook

    - Evan
    dmbbearcat is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #43
    seekupchuck
     
    seekupchuck's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Posts: 12,239

    Shows Seen: 52

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    I also think that people are really going out of their way to make this song about Roi, I dont see it. Just listened to it again before typing this, and the vocals are horrendous. I am sorry. The only thing that saves it is that you and me follows it.
    __________________
    "By a continuing process of inflation, government can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens."
    .............-John Maynard Keynes
    seekupchuck is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #44
    dmbbearcat
     
    dmbbearcat's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Location: Cincinnati
    Posts: 14,717

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seekupchuck View Post
    I also think that people are really going out of their way to make this song about Roi, I dont see it. Just listened to it again before typing this, and the vocals are horrendous. I am sorry. The only thing that saves it is that you and me follows it.
    It's a goodbye song to Roi. What do you think it is?
    __________________
    My Blog
    My Facebook

    - Evan
    dmbbearcat is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #45
    water_into_wine
     
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Boston
    Posts: 35,204

    Shows Seen: 2

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    The vocals only sound horrendous to you because you are playing the record backwards and trying to look for hidden conspiracy messages.
    water_into_wine is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #46
    Arby
    We Have The Meats
     
    Arby's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Posts: 85,026

    Shows Seen: 24

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seekupchuck View Post
    I already knew it on guitar when I learned Sister.

    Yes I like music. There is zero continuity in the song, for me. It is awkward sounding. Are you trying to tell me Dave's voice sounds good on this? Let me guess, they captured the desperation and emotion in his voice, thats what I am hearing? Sure.

    Just my opinion.

    Hey! I have an idea for the last 2 tracks! Lets sit Carter and the horns on the bench.
    There is that little run of notes that is taken from Sister. That's it. Most of the song is very different from Sister. And yes, you said it pretty perfectly: "they captured the desperation and emotion in his voice." It sounds good; I don't see what is wrong with his vocals.

    And not every song needs every band member on it. What is wrong with benching the band for 1 song?
    __________________
    -Arby
    Arby is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #47
    sugarwill7
     
    sugarwill7's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Posts: 775

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    I absolutely can't see how people can say the vocals on this song are horrendous x 1,000,000
    __________________
    back at last
    sugarwill7 is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #48
    lieinmygrave41
    Sunday comes afterwards
     
    lieinmygrave41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Location: Portland
    Posts: 10,188

    Shows Seen: 15

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    I think its beautiful. But I find it hard to listen to because its so personal. Its like a bomb of emotion
    __________________
    Will
    RateYourMusic 2016
    lieinmygrave41 is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #49
    dmbtrojan
    Fight On DMB
     
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Posts: 76

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sugarwill7 View Post
    I absolutely can't see how people can say the vocals on this song are horrendous x 1,000,000
    the vocals on this song are horrendous. there ya go.

    This is easily the worst track off the album, and whoever started this thread and honestly thought that this holds up to anything on the big 3 deserves to be put in the Pillory and have spoiled vegetables thrown at them
    dmbtrojan is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #50
    Ram
     
    Ram's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Posts: 852

    Shows Seen: 20

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbtrojan View Post
    the vocals on this song are horrendous. there ya go.

    This is easily the worst track off the album, and whoever started this thread and honestly thought that this holds up to anything on the big 3 deserves to be put in the Pillory and have spoiled vegetables thrown at them
    I know everyone has different opinions on the music, which is going to happen, but to say it's horrendous is pretty extreme.

    The song's about Roi, Dave said so directly in the Pinfield radio interview, and especially if you heard the April version where it's just him and the guitar, you can imagine what it might have been like for him to sing that song. And if there's a little crack in his voice, I chalk it up to the emotion of the lyrics and it means all the more to me when I listen to it. I don't know how anyone who has listened to DMB as long as many of us have could feel any other way.

    And I'd love to see the people who fire off all the smarmy "this sucks, that sucks" posts in here have a chance to say it to Dave's face. I don't think a single one of them would have the balls to say it. Everyone's big and bad with the safety and anonymity of the internet.

    Dave and the rest of the group put their souls out on display in these records. Like it, don't like it, that's cool. But sometimes it'd be nice to see a few more of the Ants show a little bit of respect - cause maybe it's not his best vocal performance...but it's in a different league than anything anyone on here could do.

    "Horrendous" nah. Let's hear you sing.
    Ram is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #51
    inmytree
     
    Join Date: May 2009
    Posts: 1,868

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seekupchuck View Post
    I also think that people are really going out of their way to make this song about Roi, I dont see it. Just listened to it again before typing this, and the vocals are horrendous. I am sorry. The only thing that saves it is that you and me follows it.
    Considering that Dave himself said it is about Roi, and he wrote it, I think it's fair to say that it is about Roi.
    inmytree is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #52
    Yankees36
    The Gator Nation
     
    Yankees36's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Location: Orlando
    Posts: 2,162

    Shows Seen: 42

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    if someone thinks his vocals on this is horrendous, they are just stupid.. there is no reason to even try talk to someone who thinks that or try an understand what would make them say that..
    __________________
    B-Rad
    Yankees36 is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #53
    TheLilacsRevolt
    Forever Missed
     
    TheLilacsRevolt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Location: Massachusetts
    Posts: 1,371

    Shows Seen: 31

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    I would definitely agree that 'Baby Blue' can hold it's own amongst the Big 3. Surely the same for LITHOG.
    TheLilacsRevolt is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #54
    forever41
     
    forever41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Posts: 14

    Shows Seen: 9

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
    Considering that Dave himself said it is about Roi, and he wrote it, I think it's fair to say that it is about Roi.
    If Dave says it was written about Roi, then it was.

    The beauty of the song is that not only can you listen to it from that perspective, you may also relate to it on a purely personal level
    It was written as a 'tribute' to Roi, but stands alone as a gut wrenching love song as well.
    Testimony to Dave's writing as only he can.

    Just my opinion
    forever41 is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #55
    TheLilacsRevolt
    Forever Missed
     
    TheLilacsRevolt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Location: Massachusetts
    Posts: 1,371

    Shows Seen: 31

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by forever41 View Post
    If Dave says it was written about Roi, then it was.

    The beauty of the song is that not only can you listen to it from that perspective, you may also relate to it on a purely personal level
    It was written as a 'tribute' to Roi, but stands alone as a gut wrenching love song as well.
    Testimony to Dave's writing as only he can.

    Just my opinion
    Nicely stated.
    TheLilacsRevolt is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #56
    seekupchuck
     
    seekupchuck's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Posts: 12,239

    Shows Seen: 52

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Leroi did have beautiful Blue eyes.
    __________________
    "By a continuing process of inflation, government can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens."
    .............-John Maynard Keynes
    seekupchuck is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #57
    Statechamp41
    Two-Headed Boy
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 578

    Shows Seen: 1

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    I really think all of you are wrong.

    I think Baby Blue is the worst track on the album. (As in, it is the only one I don't like.)

    Yes, the Roi connection, yes Dave pouring his soul out...but...the melody isn't that good, and the lyrics don't really do anything for me.

    I'm sorry to be so negative in a positive thread (I usually hate it when people do that) but I really do feel this way. Maybe it will grow on me, but, honestly I kind of hope it doesn't.

    It is probably because I can't connect with it - it is SO personal that nothing he is saying connects with me at all. Yes I was sad when Roi died but, like, I didn't know him - he was just this guy who played amazing sax in my favorite band. And so, all I hear when I hear this song is vocals/melody which I don't really like over music which doesn't really do anything for me.

    I am glad that so many people like this song and so many of the other songs on Big Whiskey but I'm just not so sure about this song. It will probably be written about as a "fan favorite" by some writer who makes the connection between it and LeRoi but I will not be one of those fans who consider it a favorite.
    __________________
    "And in the dark we will take off our clothes and they'll be placing fingers through the notches in your spine"
    Statechamp41 is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #58
    MistreatedLewis
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Posts: 56,472

    Shows Seen: 17

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Statechamp41 View Post
    I really think all of you are wrong.

    I think Baby Blue is the worst track on the album. (As in, it is the only one I don't like.)

    Yes, the Roi connection, yes Dave pouring his soul out...but...the melody isn't that good, and the lyrics don't really do anything for me.

    I'm sorry to be so negative in a positive thread (I usually hate it when people do that) but I really do feel this way. Maybe it will grow on me, but, honestly I kind of hope it doesn't.

    It is probably because I can't connect with it - it is SO personal that nothing he is saying connects with me at all. Yes I was sad when Roi died but, like, I didn't know him - he was just this guy who played amazing sax in my favorite band. And so, all I hear when I hear this song
    is vocals/melody which I don't really like over music which doesn't really do anything for me.

    I am glad that so many people like this song and so many of the other songs on Big Whiskey but I'm just not so sure about this song. It will probably be written about as a "fan favorite" by some writer who makes the connection between it and LeRoi but I will not be one of those fans who consider it a favorite.
    Nothing wrong with disagreeing - and I've seen a lot of people who agree with you too. So, right on, thanks for sharing
    MistreatedLewis is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #59
    Arby
    We Have The Meats
     
    Arby's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Posts: 85,026

    Shows Seen: 24

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    It really surprises me that so many people dont like this song. Every song has some people that dont like it, but that number just seems too high with this tune. Worst on the album? I dont understand.
    __________________
    -Arby
    Arby is offline  
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #60
    Bluewater21
    Laughing out loud
     
    Bluewater21's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2009
    Location: Bethel Park, PA
    Posts: 7,063

    Shows Seen: 47

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Born To Run View Post
    funny the way it is >>>>>>> baby blue > spaceman
    Dude your opinion of anything involving this band is absolute shit after the "EVERYDAY II" thread. Stop posting and find a new band
    __________________
    My Tour Stats

    2016: Burgettstown, North Charleston, Gorge x3
    Bluewater21 is offline  
     

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Matt's Twitter
    Jake's Twitter
    Joe's Twitter