2021 Tour Idea - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: How many shows would you attend in 2021 Drive In Tour?
More Shows 9 8.11%
Same shows 22 19.82%
Less Shows 34 30.63%
No Shows 46 41.44%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #1
dontdrink36
not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

2021 Tour Idea

We are all hoping that the 2021 tour can happen as scheduled and as normal as possible. This thread is to discuss what possible tour alternatives the band could use in order to make it happen instead of canceling or postponing the tour if it can't be 2019 normal by the start of the tour.

My idea is for the band to follow their tour schedule but hold the shows in the parking lots of the venues with space for groups in one car to chill outside and watch the show. These types of shows are already happening and I think is the easiest and most cost effective way for the tour to happen in the event it can't be 2019 normal.

Pit/lower level seats would get a parking spot up near the stage and it would go back in order of seat. Lawn tickets could be put in a lottery for a specific space or just be first come first served.

Each spot would have an adjacent spot next to it for fans to set up chairs/tents whatever and tailgate/watch the show at a safe distance from other fans.

Would you attend more shows, less shows, same shows, or no shows if this was the format for 2021?

Feel free to add your own ideas or expound on mine

Last edited by dontdrink36; 10-23-2020 at 12:06 PM.
dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #2
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: 2021 Tour Idea

This just doesn’t seem possible at a lot of venues. Plus capacity would be a a small fraction of what a venue could hold, and without concessions I’m not even sure it would make sense financially.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #3
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

For those voting no would you go if the tour was normal? Are you not going to these shows because of the proposed format or is it for another reason?
    Old 10-23-2020, 12:24 PM   #4
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    This just doesn’t seem possible at a lot of venues. Plus capacity would be a a small fraction of what a venue could hold, and without concessions I’m not even sure it would make sense financially.
    Why can't there be concessions/merch? It wouldn't be that much smaller in terms of capacity. Most cars would have at least 2 people in it and they both would be paying to get in.

It might not make financial sense but I'd think the idea is at least worth crunching the numbers on.
    Old 10-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #5
    prdstmnky36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    Why can't there be concessions/merch? It wouldn't be that much smaller in terms of capacity. Most cars would have at least 2 people in it and they both would be paying to get in.

It might not make financial sense but I'd think the idea is at least worth crunching the numbers on.
    So if there are 2 people per car, and you want a car’s space between each car (so potentially 2 cars worth of area for two or even four people)...how many people does that space equate to inside the venue? 20+ at least. And that’s assuming these venues have 1 huge parking lot...have you been to Camden (just the first one that came to mind). Which of the dozen+ lots do you want this to happen in?

As far as concessions, I just don’t see it being feasible...merch is a little different.

With your model, just how many people are you thinking this could accommodate?

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    Old 10-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #6
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So if there are 2 people per car, and you want a car’s space between each car (so potentially 2 cars worth of area for two or even four people)...how many people does that space equate to inside the venue? 20+ at least. And that’s assuming these venues have 1 huge parking lot...have you been to Camden (just the first one that came to mind). Which of the dozen+ lots do you want this to happen in?

As far as concessions, I just don’t see it being feasible...merch is a little different.

With your model, just how many people are you thinking this could accommodate?
    It probably my wouldn't work at every venue. Are saying 2 parking spaces equals 20 people normally but only 4 now? If so, I think your math is way off. If not, sorry I misunderstood. Guessing you could get 4k to 6k cars with 2-4 people in them. At an average of $100 per person. That would be around $800k at a minimum per show. Thats feasible financially.

Also concessions would be pretty easy. You could have delivery via order on the app or a few concessio stands set up.
    Old 10-23-2020, 01:33 PM   #7
    prdstmnky36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It probably my wouldn't work at every venue. Are saying 2 parking spaces equals 20 people normally but only 4 now? If so, I think your math is way off. If not, sorry I misunderstood. Guessing you could get 4k to 6k cars with 2-4 people in them. At an average of $100 per person. That would be around $800k at a minimum per show. Thats feasible financially.

Also concessions would be pretty easy. You could have delivery via order on the app or a few concessio stands set up.
    I worded it weird...so take the square footage of two cars (which is 1 car, 1 empty space per your model), and we will put 4 people in that 1 car. That square footage would equate to 20 seats inside the venue. I think 6k cars in a given lot is a lot! Like I said, many of the venues I’ve been to dont just have one big straight lot. Perhaps there are venues like this, but just don’t see this model working at amps...stadiums, sure.

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    Old 10-23-2020, 01:48 PM   #8
    somuchtoplay

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I'm done with shows until it is semi-normal...not dealing with jumping through hoops and inconvenience to overpay for beers and not have the social experience that normally comes with the live show setting. Just doesnt seem worth my time or money. I miss shows so much, but Id rather continue without that have a half-assed version of the real thing. The drive in thing just seems like such a pain and by default you're farther away from the music. I'd rather see them sell partial-capacity tickets in a bigger venue (not sure if it's feasible)--but 10-20k in a 40-50k capcity outdoor stadium? I don't know what the answer is, but concerts are a huge hassle as it is (even though I love them).
    somuchtoplay is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 03:52 PM   #9
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I worded it weird...so take the square footage of two cars (which is 1 car, 1 empty space per your model), and we will put 4 people in that 1 car. That square footage would equate to 20 seats inside the venue. I think 6k cars in a given lot is a lot! Like I said, many of the venues I’ve been to dont just have one big straight lot. Perhaps there are venues like this, but just don’t see this model working at amps...stadiums, sure.

I see what you mean. Yeah, the actual venues might not work. I used those since they were already planned. I'm sure there are lots in every tour city that could accommodate the drive in show.

I know Alpharetta hosted a drive in concert recently. I dodnt attend so idk the specifics for number cars, fans, merch, concessions etc. Ill reach out to a friend that works there and see.
    Old 10-23-2020, 04:03 PM   #10
    prdstmnky36

My Tour Central Stats

What is the largest act that has done a drive in show?

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    Old 10-23-2020, 04:19 PM   #11
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What is the largest act that has done a drive in show?
    The Revivalists have done one. Brad Paisley did one at Deer Creek i believe

https://www.wthr.com/article/enterta...9-bd85dbd6c428

Last edited by dontdrink36; 10-23-2020 at 04:21 PM.
    Old 10-23-2020, 04:38 PM   #12
    prdstmnky36

My Tour Central Stats

Just read up on the Brad Paisley drive in, said it could hold as many as 1,000 cars with up to 4 people per car. So 4K people. Tickets were sold per car, from $150-$350...the furthest spots were 10 football fields away (or over half a mile, lol).

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    Old 10-23-2020, 05:15 PM   #13
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just read up on the Brad Paisley drive in, said it could hold as many as 1,000 cars with up to 4 people per car. So 4K people. Tickets were sold per car, from $150-$350...the furthest spots were 10 football fields away (or over half a mile, lol).
    So yeah maybe venue wouldn't work. Though I'm sure there are lots that could.
    Old 10-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #14
    podiumboy

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

The shows as they are currently scheduled will not / can not go ahead.

They'll have to be cancelled, and they'll have to find some other way to have socially distanced shows.
    podiumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 09:53 PM   #15
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I think they should just do PPV live streams.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 10:05 PM   #16
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Same number of shows for me, which is no shows
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 10:31 PM   #17
    K270
    Hello my baby!!!!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    I think they should just do PPV live streams.
    This is kind of my thought. If you have a "pit" ticket, you get to see the show live. A less expensive ticket can get you a spot similar to a drive-in movie theater. The show would be live streamed to these lots. Anywhere from 10 to 30 lots with the capacity of 50 to 250 cars per lot. Up to a 25 mile radius of the venue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neumdogg View Post
    Dodgers suck.
    K270 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 10:44 PM   #18
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

With the way things are looking right now, I don't see any chance of my being in the same shed as 15k people.

I would definitely put in for a lottery for a drive-in show where your car had two spots to spread out if they allowed BYOB or had car service so as to avoid giant lines for beer/food.
    I think DMB is too big for this though. The biggest band to offer this here in Austin has been Everclear. Last time I saw them was on the So Much for the Afterglow anniversary tour at Emo's with like 160 people.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 10-23-2020 at 10:46 PM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 10:44 PM   #19
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

I wouldn't pay anything for a PPV stream. Not one red cent.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 10-23-2020 at 10:47 PM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-24-2020, 05:29 AM   #20
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Might as well stay home and crank up a LT if you're going to be that far away

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    I think DMB is too big for this though. The biggest band to offer this here in Austin has been Everclear. Last time I saw them was on the So Much for the Afterglow anniversary tour at Emo's with like 160 people.
    Yep, it's going to be tricky for them to come back any time soon
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2020, 09:08 AM   #21
    ISawTheBridge10

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Hilarious that people would even consider doing this. Go to a parking lot and watch the band play on huge screens? What?

On Saturday my wife and I built a fire in the backyard, got a speaker, some beer, a bottle of wine, and listened to LT 29. I'll take that over a social distanced drive in where you don't even see the band in person--any day of the week.
    ISawTheBridge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #22
    too69short

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Being tall I get enough hassle in the pit and lower sections. Can you imagine the outrage when a lifted truck parks in front of you?
    too69short is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2020, 09:38 AM   #23
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

My Tour Central Stats

I'd do it if they still let us record the shows outside of the car lol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    With the way things are looking right now, I don't see any chance of my being in the same shed as 15k people.

I would definitely put in for a lottery for a drive-in show where your car had two spots to spread out if they allowed BYOB or had car service so as to avoid giant lines for beer/food.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by podiumboy View Post

They'll have to be cancelled, and they'll have to find some other way to have socially distanced shows.
    I agree that the shows in summer 2021 will not be taking place as currently scheduled. It's too soon, it's pretty much already November 2020 and there aren't even any realistic plans mentioned yet for large tier artists touring again. We might be quite a ways off.

Surely there is some sort of solution to get to see bands play. With DMB's guarantee per show, I assume it would be nearly impossible to get them to do any sort of drive in show.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ISawTheBridge10 View Post
    Hilarious that people would even consider doing this. Go to a parking lot and watch the band play on huge screens? What?

On Saturday my wife and I built a fire in the backyard, got a speaker, some beer, a bottle of wine, and listened to LT 29. I'll take that over a social distanced drive in where you don't even see the band in person--any day of the week.
    You'd be surprised what people would do to see shows after having such a long break from them. As long as it was an actual live show, it would sell out for DMB. 100%.

I did the Metallica Drive In concert a few months ago in Atlanta and it was completely packed. It wasn't even live - they pre-recorded a special show just for a drive in event about a week beforehand, had it professionally mixed and edited, then sent it to the drive ins. No one knew the setlist or anything beforehand. The atmosphere was a total blast - people standing and dancing in truck beds, running around the parking lot, etc. I loved it.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #24
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

The Avetts have done two shows (latest being this past Friday) at the Charlotte raceway. Tix were between $125 - 300, maybe up to six people per vehicle. The also live streamed both shows for $25 on nugstv (or $20 for Guild Members). The second show supposedly had about 1,000 spots/tickets to sell. People were encouraged to use pickups and set up in the beds, but there were plenty of cars. Both shows, they were clearly NOT parked 6 ft apart & lots of people were outside of their cars NOT wearing masks. One MASSIVE screen above the small stage the band played on.

We got both shows and watched them live from the comfort and safety of the living rooms we were in (RI for the 1st, home in VA for the 2nd). The shows were really cool as it was just the original trio w/ Joe on cello...no keys, drums, or violin. The only dedicated percussion came from Scott's kick drum & Seth's hi hat. They sounded excellent. I loved being able to enjoy the show at home.

I watched Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit's live drive-in from GA last weekend and it was also excellent. No, it's not the same, but it's still awesome. I will be doing this until we have a proven readily available vaccine and/or treatment, but really it's about the vaccine for me. Living Colour did a live stream on Saturday night that I also watched w/ a 1:30 delay as I forgot and watched a movie w/ my youngest son.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2020, 10:16 AM   #25
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by podiumboy View Post

This is the inevitable truth from everything that I can tell. The venues, ticket agencies, artists, etc. do want to or cannot reasonably manage the liability associated with big tours and HUGE crowds.

I'm there as soon as it's safe, but that's not going to be summer of 2021...if it's even any part of 2021.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2020, 10:30 AM   #26
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    This is the inevitable truth from everything that I can tell. The venues, ticket agencies, artists, etc. do want to or cannot reasonably manage the liability associated with big tours and HUGE crowds.

I'm there as soon as it's safe, but that's not going to be summer of 2021...if it's even any part of 2021.
    What liability? We have fans at sports now, and you can't prove you got the rona at the concert. Just print on the ticket we are not responsible for Covid, come at your own risk. Problem solved.

I'm not saying the tour happens as normal. I'm just liability is the weakest possible argument against a tour.
    Old 10-27-2020, 10:59 AM   #27
    IndyDMB

Shows Seen: 114

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not expecting the band playing in 2021.

2024 - Deer Creek & Gorge
    IndyDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2020, 11:16 AM   #28
    firedancer34

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

doubt there will be any shows in 2021. and if they were converted into something like a drive in show id unload the tickets or get a refund for the one show i do have, not interested in the least.

online concert though streamed live id pay for if it were a donation to charity deal. not full ticket price but say minimum donation of $20-$25, sure.
    firedancer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #29
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    For those voting no would you go if the tour was normal? Are you not going to these shows because of the proposed format or is it for another reason?
    Neither your proposal nor under normal circumstances.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #30
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ISawTheBridge10 View Post

I thought in this scenario that the band would be there in person playing live, not that it'd be a broadcast. I obviously wouldn't go be around anyone just to watch a broadcast.