April 14, 2009 -- New York, NY - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
DMBzilla
tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

April 14, 2009 -- New York, NY

The Dave Matthews Band kicked off their 2009 tour with a bang at MSG tonight, and from the time Dave introduced the Roots to the final notes of Billies, they sounded like a band on a mission.

Dave joked prior to the Roots' set that he was talking to the Roots before the show, and they asked him, "Who starts a tour at Madison Square Garden?" While it quickly became clear that DMB does, and does it very, very well, the first music of the night was nothing short of fantastic. The Roots opened up with Thought @ Work off of Phrenology, and over their raucous 40 minute set played a solid mix of cover jams (including Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" and Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song") and originals, such as You Got Me and The Seed (2.0). The floor crowd was digging their set, but I'm not sure that they were as well received in the building as they should have been.

After a nice 30 minute break and the chance to walk around MSG a bit and meet up with some good friends in the process, I made my way back to my seat just as the crew was finishing cloaking the stage with two large black curtains. I suppose this is the band's new opening instead of using a screen, but soon deep red lights were visible through the fabric and the shadows of each member could be seen sporadically, making for a very cool effect. The intro clearly indicated a Don't Drink the Water opener, and just as the song began the curtains were pulled away (though the right one snagged and they had to pull it down by hand). Not my opener of choice, but it was played well and definitely got the crowd going. This standard version ended, and Carter went into the drum intro for Cornbread. Again, a standard version, but I found myself wondering why, after 3 years of playing the hell out of this song, Dave still hasn't figured out a second verse and instead just makes random noises that gives way to a surprising number of cheers. Hopefully we won't be treated to this tune every night, but it was fun and a fine performance.

Then came the first new song of the night, Funny the Way It Is. This one started out with very quiet tones by Stefan, with Carter joining at a rapid crescendo and the rest of the band following suit. Dave came in with the lyrics much as he does on the studio version, but the build was much better live. This song is very strong live -- the studio sounds translated very well to the stage, and honestly, while I liked this one already, hearing it live definitely upped its rep for me. It should be interesting to see how they develop this tune over the year, because it sounded very, very nice.

Raven was a very nice treat. The band reworked this one a bit, with a new guitar intro prior to the band joining Dave's strings and voice. Otherwise, it's Raven as Raven has been since 2002, which is definitely a good thing. YMDT was well played, though still not quite a favorite of mine.

The second new song of the night was Spaceman. Dave plays a fairly light riff on this one, but I found it to be quite reminiscent of his earlier writing -- single notes and slides. This one was definitely quieter, but I found the vocals to be pretty fast and thus the lyrics were hard to decipher. The music and beat have a very creole-sounding feel to them, with a clearly heavy New Orleans influence. This one seemed a bit longer than the other two BWGK tunes, but that may have been because of the slower feel to it.

Nancies and Pig were fairly standard, but both were welcome additions to the setlist (especially with Pig being notably absent in 2008). Dave then announced that a friend was in town, and I'm not going to lie -- I was more than a little disappointed that it was Gregg Allman. Don't get me wrong, I love the Allman Brothers, but I've heard DMB do Melissa before and wasn't overly impressed. This was a fine version though, and it's always cool to see a living legend sit in with DMB. I would have preferred a certain Trey Anastasio, but it wasn't meant to be.

Recently was as good as I've ever heard it. While it would've been nice to get an intro or outro thrown in there (On Broadway, anyone?), hearing the full version again was a very nice treat, and the jam was very unique, with the band waiting extra half-steps and playing with the timing. Definitely a highlight for me. SDL and #27 were both pretty standard.

The final new tune of the night, Why I Am, was introduced by Dave as being Roi's favorite of the new songs. I can see why -- Jeff and Rashawn were all over this one, and this is a fun, funky tune. In a weird way, this was the fun, electric song the band was shooting for with Bayou but missed the mark. While nothing overly amazing, the lyrics are sure to bring a smile -- referencing the Groogrux King and "drinking Big Whiskey while we dance and sing" -- and unlike the close to 10 minute Bayou jams, this one closes out at what seemed like about 4:30.

The final run was nothing short of incredible. Ants was really, really nicely done, with an extra long outro and some great work by Boyd. By the way, Mr. Tinsley is playing a different violin than the standard black Zeta, though I know nothing about violins so I can't begin to describe the differences. Anyway, this was a very solid performance of Ants. #41 was shorter than the ridiculous version at MSG in September, but was still well played. Jeff and Carter jammed back and forth for a bit, and some really nice things were happening there. #41 basically went right into Two Step (I think, at least, though perhaps the tapes will prove me wrong). Carter owned this one. I know he always owns it, but this was different than last summer. After his solo, instead of working right into the outro, he continued to play some interesting beats, utilizing many of his unique pieces, before finally hitting the outro and crushing the end.

Sister and Billies were nothing overly special, but were to be somewhat expected, as the band was already running right near curfew. I actually called Billies before it was played, but wasn't disappointed in the least.

As far as tour openers go, tonight was a great one, and consisted of a nice mix of classic DMB tunes, newer songs, rarities and live debuts. The new stuff definitely should give everyone a reason to be excited, and the older songs sounded great. One thing I noticed was that no single member stole the show tonight; there was no MVP. This was the first time I left a show of the current DMB lineup and truly felt that they were playing together as a single unit. That, to me, is a very good thing.

Looking forward to tomorrow night.
DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-15-2009, 12:06 AM   #2
    JohnK86
    Mr.Cool

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: April 14, 2009 -- New York, NY

Thanks for the review. Good stuff. And may I add that Spaceman is a classic already...
    Old 04-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
    Geoff8

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Sounded great, can't wait to see them in St Louis!
    Geoff8 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2009, 12:41 AM   #4
    jcomey
    won't be long for here

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

(x-post, sorry in advance)

I just got home a little bit ago...I have media to throw up tomorrow (videos...Dave dance during Cornbread, some Nancies, Two Step from Timmy/Carter on).

The show was amazing. I mean...amazing. The crowd was *loud* singing every song...the band was incredibly crisp, Dave's voice was spot on...Boyd was VERY, VERY much a part of things (as opposed to last summer, when he seemed pretty distant).

YMDT might very well be the song of the night. I have no idea where that end of the song came from, but holy crap.

#41...must've gone 20 minutes. They also went to the old school outro (though half of the fans still tried to chant Everyday). The shakeup in the solos (Timmy's during the Everyday outro, ditching it and doing his own thing) sent the crowd on a roller coaster. I definitely didn't expect them to go nuts again after the horns and Jeff's duet with Carter.

I'm pretty sure I'll either be flamed or my opinion here will be disregarded, but I was thinking about the encore...and while the normal fan wouldn't be a fan of it, I'm looking at it a different way. To me, Dave and the band paid homage to those near and dear that have fallen in their lives...Dave personally with Sister, and the band honoring LeRoi with Billies. If you think about it, Two Step could be tossed in there too. But that is how I've come to view it, which makes it a perfect closer to a perfect night to me. It said the perfect message. I really don't know that that's what they went for, but that's how I view it, and it makes peace with me.

That was also the longest show I've ever been to, at just a shade under three hours. The main set went 2:30 or so...I think 41/2Step took up about 35 minutes of that.

Shows: 34
    Something new at every one...
    jcomey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2009, 12:41 AM   #5
    keithcoldroses

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks for the detailed review
    keithcoldroses is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2009, 12:54 AM   #6
    jcomey
    won't be long for here

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I've got a lot more...I just am passing out and going to bed.

When I wake up (if I wake up), I'll add more.

Shows: 34
    Something new at every one...
    jcomey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2009, 01:13 AM   #7
    jheft28

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Which of the new songs did you guys like best live?
    jheft28 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2009, 01:23 AM   #8
    Mikekat

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Just got back home in Connecticut from the show. My buddies uncle does security so he got us front row side stage it was incredible! We saw Mary Kate and Ashely Olson dancing and watching the show from the area where Dave has his guitars. I waved at one of them she smiled...I'll take it! Dave also looked over in their direction a few times.

We were lucky enough to get one of Carters sticks AND a setlist. Granny was originally slated and not PIG. That was the only difference I saw.

Overall an incredible show..gotta love the LeRoi chants after Why I Am..

"Who starts a tour at Madison Square Garden!!??"
    Mikekat is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 AM   #9
    Mikekat

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jheft28 View Post
    Which of the new songs did you guys like best live?
    I really liked Why I Am...once I hear it a few more times and get more lyrics down I'll like it even more I think..
    Mikekat is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2009, 02:44 AM   #10
    dre2142
    Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

What guitar did Dave use on Funny the Way It Is?
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2009, 04:04 AM   #11
    Groogrux King

My Tour Central Stats

OK. So I've been to about 20 shows. I started my show going ways with 12-21-02 at the garden with James Brown. I've never missed a garden show, hell any show in NYC since. Here's why this show ripped my face off, chewed it up and spit it in the Roots tuba: Jeff Coffin was given his chance to make his bones, on hallowed ground, with Roi's solo on #41, and in my opinion, failed miserably. Jeff's sax was barely noticeable. I found it very difficult to hear what he was playing, and I was right next to the stage. I felt like Jeff missed the point. He struggled to keep up with Carter's drumming as his solo, rather than taking the opportunity to create his own niche. There was a moment in the solo that Dave wandered to the left of the stage, towards the crowd and just shook his head. Hopefully I wasn't the only one to notice this subtle moment, but I think right then and there you knew nothing or no one would replace Roi. #41 at MSG, depressing?!? What!?! The void felt on that stage during that song was just astounding. During Two Step, the following song, Stephen and Dave turned their back to the horn section the whole time, as if to say: "There's another level to be reached when playing MSG- and this is how you get there". I've never heard a more focused and tight song than Two Step tonight. Stephen and Carter tore-it-up in a way I can not even express in words. Someone yelled "Our House" at the final note and I spontaneously slapped hands with him (i'm so not a hand slapper). Sister followed in the Encore, and it was a perfectly placed song. It was a nice way to recover from the heavy feeling of missing Roi, even though its a slow song, it's the kind of song that can make you happy like a little kid. And Billies was just an all out party. I still can't understand how anyone who is a DMB fan could miss MSG.
    Groogrux King is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2009, 04:36 AM   #12
    schmitty0612

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Its always funny to hear the hype around MSG. People come up with this false illusion that MSG is more important than other venues that they play, like its their way to feel special. For example the review above mine:
    “Stephen and Dave turned their back to the horn section the whole time, as if to say: "There's another level to be reached when playing MSG”. “I still can't understand how anyone who is a DMB fan could miss MSG”

I am actually pretty surprised that you are knocking Jeff Coffin, I thought that he was absolutely brilliant and stole the show. His solos during YMDT and 41 were absolutely incredible- you could see a connection with Carter and Coffin; although ROI will be missed I still think is a faux pas on these message boards to say that Jeff Coffin brings something new and fresh to the band.
    schmitty0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2009, 05:15 AM   #13
    Groogrux King

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmitty0612 View Post
    Its always funny to hear the hype around MSG. People come up with this false illusion that MSG is more important than other venues that they play, like its their way to feel special. For example the review above mine:
    “Stephen and Dave turned their back to the horn section the whole time, as if to say: "There's another level to be reached when playing MSG”. “I still can't understand how anyone who is a DMB fan could miss MSG”

I am actually pretty surprised that you are knocking Jeff Coffin, I thought that he was absolutely brilliant and stole the show. His solos during YMDT and 41 were absolutely incredible- you could see a connection with Carter and Coffin; although ROI will be missed I still think is a faux pas on these message boards to say that Jeff Coffin brings something new and fresh to the band.
    First of all- I go to shows all over the place, not just MSG. I really could give a rats ass about concrete and metal. But what happens at MSG, for whatever reason, just can not be denied. I've seen Dave do a dance off with the most sampled man in history, the king of all music, James Brown which reads Get Up-->Sex Machine-->Halloween (Not to mention Granny, Pig, Loving wings and Seek up being played at that same show). I saw Trey Anastasio make Dave stop playing to listen to the crowd singing Everyday which segued into Bath tub gin and Fool In the Rain. In 2005 you had Pantala Naga Pampa-->Rapunzel, Seek Up, Minarets and Christmas Song --> Halloween, not to mention one of the sickest Louisiana Bayou's ever with Robert Randolph. Don't hate the playa, hate the game.
    And if Jeff was playing something worthwhile, I certainly couldn't tell because he was barely heard. I don't know if its the mix or if it's his style of playing versus what I am used to hearing stage left, but nothing stood out to me. Like I said, it just seemed like he was riffing with Carter and not doing such a great job at it. But what you can not tell me is that Two Step was nothing short of amazing due to the core members taking charge and owning that song. I watched Jeff and Rashawn during that song and they were mere spectators.
    Old 04-15-2009, 05:35 AM   #14
    JunkBondTrader

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groogrux King View Post
    OK. So I've been to about 20 shows. I started my show going ways with 12-21-02 at the garden with James Brown. I've never missed a garden show, hell any show in NYC since. Here's why this show ripped my face off, chewed it up and spit it in the Roots tuba: Jeff Coffin was given his chance to make his bones, on hallowed ground, with Roi's solo on #41, and in my opinion, failed miserably. Jeff's sax was barely noticeable. I found it very difficult to hear what he was playing, and I was right next to the stage. I felt like Jeff missed the point. He struggled to keep up with Carter's drumming as his solo, rather than taking the opportunity to create his own niche. There was a moment in the solo that Dave wandered to the left of the stage, towards the crowd and just shook his head. Hopefully I wasn't the only one to notice this subtle moment, but I think right then and there you knew nothing or no one would replace Roi. #41 at MSG, depressing?!? What!?! The void felt on that stage during that song was just astounding. During Two Step, the following song, Stephen and Dave turned their back to the horn section the whole time, as if to say: "There's another level to be reached when playing MSG- and this is how you get there". I've never heard a more focused and tight song than Two Step tonight. Stephen and Carter tore-it-up in a way I can not even express in words. Someone yelled "Our House" at the final note and I spontaneously slapped hands with him (i'm so not a hand slapper). Sister followed in the Encore, and it was a perfectly placed song. It was a nice way to recover from the heavy feeling of missing Roi, even though its a slow song, it's the kind of song that can make you happy like a little kid. And Billies was just an all out party. I still can't understand how anyone who is a DMB fan could miss MSG.
    hahaha sorry but i think your specualtion about everything with the horn section and jeff coffin is completely over exaggerated and probably not even remotely true. yea hahaha riiiiiiiiight im sure dave shook his head because jeff coffins solo wasnt good enough, nice try bro.
    JunkBondTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2009, 05:38 AM   #15
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JunkBondTrader View Post
    hahaha sorry but i think your specualtion about everything with the horn section and jeff coffin is completely over exaggerated and probably not even remotely true. yea hahaha riiiiiiiiight im sure dave shook his head because jeff coffins solo wasnt good enough, nice try bro.

I agree that the last statement is absurd and mistaken, but they do seem to pull out all of the stops at MSG.
    Old 04-15-2009, 05:45 AM   #16
    courtzdmb
    Miss you Roi, RIP

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks so much for the review!! From the looks of the setlist there's no telling what they'll bust out with at C'ville 2 nights in a row this weekend

Am I the only one thats wondering why DMB has to have an "special" entrance now to come on stage? I mean what happened to them just walking out and the crowd going nuts?? Maybe I shouldn't judge until I see the curtains but it just sounds cheesy.

~Was I a fool to think?~
    courtzdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2009, 06:00 AM   #17
    Groogrux King

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dre2142 View Post
    I agree that the last statement is absurd and mistaken, but they do seem to pull out all of the stops at MSG.
    I'm sorry- I thought this thread was for people who actually came back from the show. I love how people from East Bumblefuck think they know anything about what went down last night.
    Dave shook his head during Jeff's solo off to the left of the stage where no one was near him. It was an odd thing for him to do. I can interpret that anyway I want to and at that moment, the guys in the band had very clearly made way for Jeff to show his stuff and he came up with a whole lot of nothing special. Two step's brilliance was such a contrast to what Jeff had done that it seemed like a "this is how it's done" moment.
    Old 04-15-2009, 06:01 AM   #18
    RushianSyrinx

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yea hahaha riiiiiiiiight im sure dave shook his head because jeff coffins solo wasnt good enough, nice try bro.
    Yes, because shaking one's head during a solo is an obvious sign of disapproval. It's not possible that he could have been looking at the crowd, scoping something out, just looking, stretching his neck or one of a million other reasons.

I believe it's probable to say that Jeff was doing his own take on #41. I think I read on here (or perhaps another forum) that #41 was a real rough and emotional solo for Roi to play. Rather than try and emulate that, he did the Sojurn of Arjuna interpolation that the Flecktones always did.

BTW, I was behind the stage and heard Jeff fine. He really tore up tonight. The Carter/Jeff interplay in #41 was nifty, but I think last year's 41 interplay at the Stand Up For a Cure was better.

And James Brown is not the king of all music. I am not familiar with his contributions to jazz, latin, progressive rock or polka.
    Mystic rhythms -- under northern lights
    Primitive things stir
    The hearts of everyone
    RushianSyrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #19
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm sorry- I thought this thread was for people who actually came back from the show. I love how people from East Bumblefuck think they know anything about what went down last night.
    Dave shook his head during Jeff's solo off to the left of the stage where no one was near him. It was an odd thing for him to do. I can interpret that anyway I want to and at that moment, the guys in the band had very clearly made way for Jeff to show his stuff and he came up with a whole lot of nothing special. Two step's brilliance was such a contrast to what Jeff had done that it seemed like a "this is how it's done" moment.

Yeah, Dave is going to show disapproval (on stage in front of everyone) of a band member and a good friend that has gone out of his way to help out the band...
    Ok dickwad, whatever you say

Last edited by dre2142; 04-15-2009 at 06:08 AM.
    Old 04-15-2009, 06:11 AM   #20
    Groogrux King

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, Dave is going to show disapproval (on stage in front of everyone) of a band member and a good friend that has gone out of his way to help out the band...
    Ok dickwad, whatever you say
    I never said anything about disapproval. I only said that he shook his head and it was a bit odd.
    Old 04-15-2009, 06:11 AM   #21
    RushianSyrinx

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Dave shook his head during Jeff's solo off to the left of the stage where no one was near him.
    No one near him? It's an arena. There's tens of thousands of people near him at any given time.

Carter shook his head during his drum solo. That obviously means he wasn't happy with his playing.
    Dave shook his head while dancing in Cornbread. That obviously means he wasn't happy with how the song was going.

See the ridiculousness?
    Mystic rhythms -- under northern lights
    Primitive things stir
    The hearts of everyone
    RushianSyrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2009, 06:12 AM   #22
    dmb1102

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by groogrux king View Post
    i'm sorry- i thought this thread was for people who actually came back from the show. I love how people from east bumblefuck think they know anything about what went down last night.
    Dave shook his head during jeff's solo off to the left of the stage where no one was near him. It was an odd thing for him to do. I can interpret that anyway i want to and at that moment, the guys in the band had very clearly made way for jeff to show his stuff and he came up with a whole lot of nothing special. Two step's brilliance was such a contrast to what jeff had done that it seemed like a "this is how it's done" moment.
    :bang
    dmb1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2009, 06:18 AM   #23
    Groogrux King

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RushianSyrinx View Post
    No one near him? It's an arena. There's tens of thousands of people near him at any given time.

Carter shook his head during his drum solo. That obviously means he wasn't happy with his playing.
    Dave shook his head while dancing in Cornbread. That obviously means he wasn't happy with how the song was going.

See the ridiculousness?
    No actually. When people are soloing in the band, Dave usually is watching them and either waiting for a moment to support them or he just watching the fireworks. Dave walking to the far left stage away from where Jeff and Carter were riffing and sort of just hanging by himself was again, a bit odd. And the whole head shake thing. It was just a weird moment.

Last edited by Groogrux King; 04-15-2009 at 06:20 AM.
    Old 04-15-2009, 06:20 AM   #24
    dmb1102

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No actually. When people are soloing in the band, Dave usually is watching them and either waiting for a moment to support them or he just watching the fireworks. Dave walking to the far left stage away from where Jeff and Carter were playing and sort of just hanging by himself was again, a bit odd. And the whole head shake thing. It was just a weird moment.
    it mighta been weird for you.. but almost everyone else is saying he tore it up
    Old 04-15-2009, 06:21 AM   #25
    Groogrux King

My Tour Central Stats

This thread is not even two pages yet. I love how "everyone" says he tore it up.

Last edited by Groogrux King; 04-15-2009 at 06:24 AM.
    Old 04-15-2009, 06:28 AM   #26
    dmb1102

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This thread is not even two pages yet. I love how "everyone" says he tore it up.
    This isn't the only thread where people are talking about how the show went.
    Old 04-15-2009, 06:31 AM   #27
    hearmorphish
    LETS GO METS!

Shows Seen: 54

My Tour Central Stats

jeff didn't match last years 41, but he was still amazing. aside from the soa interpolation, he does some really wild stuff with that song. the way he flows in and out of carter's rhythm is badass. he puts alot of emotion into that solo, it's definitely not your basic sax play, but i love it.
    hearmorphish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2009, 06:31 AM   #28
    pathetic
    Liberate a solid set!

My Tour Central Stats

nice review...cant wait till cville...
    pathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2009, 06:48 AM   #29
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Seems to be the case

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JorgeCavos View Post
    Ants/41/Two Step was some of the most intense, incredible jamming i've seen out of this band.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by golf87 View Post
    Review:

Was I the only one that thought #41 was one of the best ones in recent memory? I don't know how to describe it but it was more of a mellow groove jam instead of having Coffin hit the high notes right away... same story with Tim. Incredible.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hearmorphish View Post
    one of the best, defintitely top 5 out of about 50 for me. raven, pig, #41 all amazing.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cbchase44 View Post
    #41 - Wasn't expecting it after Ants hit but this was a great surprise. Coffin was really featured and banged it out. Coffin's bad ass and not to be messed with.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcomey View Post

#41...must've gone 20 minutes. They also went to the old school outro (though half of the fans still tried to chant Everyday). The shakeup in the solos (Timmy's during the Everyday outro, ditching it and doing his own thing) sent the crowd on a roller coaster. I definitely didn't expect them to go nuts again after the horns and Jeff's duet with Carter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Schnitz85 View Post
    Carter ripped it up lastnight... Jeff Coffin was magical on the sax.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Luke1981 View Post
    Carter on Two Step, Coffin on #41, Boyd on just about everything...Rashawn was a bit quiet......Stefan doing some sweet Bass solo's, Dave's voice (and dancing) on form and Tim Reynolds tearing it all up. Raven and Pig?!?! Great YMDT and So Damn Lucky outros. Just jamming and jamming and jamming.

It was glorious.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveKazz View Post

#41: Hahaha they followed that up with this. I mean, what can I say, amazing.. and Jeff Coffin is amazing.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkerInTheSand View Post
    Awesome show.. good to hear Nancies & Pig (I haven't seen either since 06), #27 is one of my favorite songs and I thought it was dead, so that was also a nice treat... Obv #41 and Two Step were stellar.

!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheKramer26 View Post
    Ants 41 2Step - What else is there to say? What better way to close out a show?!?!?!? I was hopin for Haynes on 41 but whatever, Timmy ripped it. Ants was great, thought it might be over but wow. Carter dominated Two Step. Awesome!

!
    Old 04-15-2009, 07:17 AM   #30
    Groogrux King

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Seems to be the case
    No doubt the whole end of the show was amazing, which is what most of those quotes testify to. But it wasn't because of Jeff Coffin IMO.