Dave Matthews Band officially cuts ties with Boyd - Page 7 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #181
GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave Matthews Band officially cuts ties with Boyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflower View Post
you continue to conflate the concept of whether what you say here will affect Boyd's civil court case with the concept of whether it is morally right or wrong for you and others to be making serious judgments about another person based on unverified unsubstantiated one-sided allegations which is what i'm talking about. one has nothing to do with the other.
And you continue to mistakenly assume that you can impose YOUR moral definitions on others and that somehow your standard of what is moral is "factual". It is only factual for you, please be very clear about that. Your opinion does NOT define some "objective" standard of what is "moral" for everyone, just as my opinion doesn't make it objectively factual either.

To me, the moral relationship of one to the other is VERY MUCH affected by whether it influences the actual outcome of Boyd's case. If our talk here negatively affected the facts presented, or for instance if a lawyer could present selectively chosen screenshots of what is said here as "factual evidence" of either wrong-doing or innocence... I'd say that should make us all be very careful and thoughtful about what is said. I'd agree there are moral implications.

Since that's not the case, and he's a celebrity, and this info is out and he's been kicked out of the band, speculation and discussion on a fan message board is not only fine, it's the most predictable and understandable thing in the world. And 98% of what's posted is posted withOUT meanspiritedness. So I do not see a moral conflict. I have read your opinion, and I still don't see one, and I will continue to discuss as I have with no sense of wrongdoing.

You do you, but don't think for a second that anyone but you sees you as the moral standard-bearer for what is morally ok and what's not. You do you... just like everyone else here will do themselves. Ok, that sounds bizarre, but you get the point...

Last edited by GraceBuckley; 05-21-2018 at 12:05 PM.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #182
    theflower

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GraceBuckley View Post
    And you continue to mistakenly assume that you can impose YOUR moral definitions on others and that somehow your standard of what is moral is "factual". It is only factual for you, please be very clear about that. Your opinion does NOT define some "objective" standard of what is "moral" for everyone, just as my opinion doesn't make it objectively factual either.

To me, the moral relationship of one to the other is VERY MUCH affected by whether it influences the actual outcome of Boyd's case. If our talk here negatively affected the facts presented, or for instance if a lawyer could present selectively chosen screenshots of what is said here as "factual evidence" of either wrong-doing or innocence... I'd say that should make us all be very careful and thoughtful about what is said. I'd agree there are moral implications.

Since that's not the case, and he's a celebrity, and this info is out and he's been kicked out of the band, speculation and discussion on a fan message board is not only fine, it's the most predictable and understandable thing in the world. And 98% of what's posted is posted withOUT meanspiritedness. So I do not see a moral conflict. I have read your opinion, and I still don't see one, and I will continue to discuss as I have with no sense of wrongdoing.

You do you, but don't think for a second that anyone but you sees you as the moral standard-bearer for what is morally ok and what's not. You do you... just like everyone else here will do themselves. Ok, that sounds bizarre, but you get the point...
    I've never said or implied i'm the morality standard bearer as you suggest, and don't worry, i think about things for more than a "second" before i speak, which may, now that i think about it, distinguish me from others on this board. this isn't like, Nietzsche. we're talking about very simple concepts here. i think judgments about whether boyd is a sexual predator and whether the band is complicit in covering this reality up are premature right now because all we have are unsubstantiated allegations. You think that discussing same, thereby driving the rumor mill and perpetuating the "perception is reality" construct, is morally ok because: 1) boyd's a celebrity; 2) nothing you say here will hurt his case; 3) this is a forum for DMB fans; and 4) we all have different beliefs regarding morality. i note that you still haven't answered my question about how you'd feel about all of the above if you or a loved one of yours were in boyd's shoes but it's probably safer to just agree to disagree.
    Old 05-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #183
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Pruning a few of these threads covering the same topic. Use this thread for future discussion on this:

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=347221
    Closed Thread