are the Sirius XM broadcasts good for the tour? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-29-2022, 02:19 PM   #1
#40BigEyedFish

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

are the Sirius XM broadcasts good for the tour?

as a fan i enjoy getting high quality streams of friday night shows during the tour and having them each week is a real treat (although i wish they made all of them available to stream) but after seeing them this tour i wondered "are these broadcasts good for the tour?" particularly the in person experience if you're not seeing them on friday night.

i've been a fan since '96 and saw them 2-3x a year every year between '98 and '07 in a variety of different venues, areas of the country and times of year so i've experienced average, good and omg concerts

with that being said i saw them for the first time since 2007 this past june in bristow, va. it was a saturday night show. and the setlist and energy were very average (for dmb, average dmb is a high bar and would be most bands very good). so i started to do some diggin on dmbalmanac and outside of their favorite venues (like spac, etc) they seem to make those friday night shows their 'primetime games' and then aren't as up for the following weekend shows.

i feel like the tour scheduling is a factor...they need a show every friday b/x of the sirius xm commitment and given their fanbase is older and aren't 20somethings with summer internships or in hs summer vacation and can go wild on a wednesday. ergo the weekends are packed with 3 nights in a row of shows (fridays-sundays)

so what do you think? with the sirius xm deal does dmb bring their A+ game only to friday night concerts and a handful of favored venues now?

i'm saying this because i've never seen a show in virginia until this year and thought being an hour north of c'ville they'd have some fun and bring it and bust out some rare or new songs....what i got was 3 chords of #40 in the encore, that girl is you opener and an ants encore closer (instead of a YMDT which was on the setlist which i woulda loved)....maybe i was expecting too much thinking i'd get a SPAC level show at bristow but it bummed me out a bit.
#40BigEyedFish is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-29-2022, 02:42 PM   #2
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: are the Sirius XM broadcasts good for the tour?

I’m gonna say there’s prob a 0.1% chance Dave cares about the set list or show any differently because it’s a Sirius stream. I wouldn’t be shocked if some of the band members are unaware they’re even being streamed on Fridays
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-29-2022, 03:26 PM   #3
    Springraces

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

I think they have little effect on the tour. I still pay attention to sets and think there's an equal amount of variety compared to any other year. I don't think DMB goes oh, we're playing Arkansas on Saturday night, who gives a fuck.

I think Dave has and will play whatever he wants whenever he wants. If there's a special reason to showcase some new material or something, that's about the only time he'll make a setlist for a specific show.

I saw them a few years ago in Denver on a Friday night in 2018 and honestly thought they'd lost their mojo completely. It was just a dead night, no energy, basic predictable setlist.

But the following show was like one of the better shows I've ever seen. I couldn't tell you why other than the Friday show was the first one after their August break. But it literally had me questioning if I was going to see them again. All shows since have been great to stellar.
    Springraces is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-29-2022, 04:11 PM   #4
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eggsrsweet View Post
    I’m gonna say there’s prob a 0.1% chance Dave cares about the set list or show any differently because it’s a Sirius stream. I wouldn’t be shocked if some of the band members are unaware they’re even being streamed on Fridays
    They are absolutely aware of their presence on Sirius XM. And I would bet Dave does put a little bit of thought into it being streamed. I think the last show I listened to, he actually told the crowd to cheer for the people listening on the radio
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-29-2022, 10:51 PM   #5
    Sabres914

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They are definitely aware. Dave mentions it a few times every Friday. It does seem too that he has chosen different songs each Friday too, or at least made somewhat of an effort to minimize repeats Friday to Friday.
    Old 07-30-2022, 12:08 AM   #6
    dahpissah
    She is sooo hot!

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Agree 100%!
    Old 07-30-2022, 12:42 AM   #7
    bowa36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Dave said hi to all the people tuning into the stream last time. They all know. Dave also looks at the past broadcast to try and play some different songs each time
    Old 07-30-2022, 03:43 AM   #8
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No. Dave routinely shouts out people listening on the streams and in the interview last year, he said he looks at the past Sirius show setlists to make that night's setlist. Other band members post online about their (insert relationship here - family, etc) people listening that night.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by #40BigEyedFish View Post
    so what do you think? with the sirius xm deal does dmb bring their A+ game only to friday night concerts and a handful of favored venues now?
    Well no, they don't only bring their A game Fridays and at big venues. It's random. They are known to drop mid week shows that are great.

So at the end of the day if you're a fan, the Sirius shows can be a mind game. Sometimes yes, they have been getting some rare stuff. Raleigh (better show than SPAC N2?) was an abnormally great show for the southeast. But Charlotte was also on Sirius and was the most cookie cutter set I've seen them do, even though there was a lib to close the show.

There are some chances on Fridays to get some rare stuff though. For example - Dreaming Tree the first Friday of the tour, Shotgun two broadcasts later, Pay for What You Get & Halloween at the most recent one. Those all got played on non-Fridays too though. I think at times, Dave does say "ok, we've busted X out lately, let's add it in for Friday so it gets broadcasted." But there's just as equal of a chance of him saying "let's play a lot of casual stuff for the broadcast." It works both ways just judging by the setlists and ends up being a mind game for me lol. I go in to Friday shows with zero expectations now because it can be one extreme or the other.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2022, 04:57 AM   #9
    dancheatham

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I think you're overthinking this. The band is definitely aware of the streams, but I don't think Fridays are getting all of the good shows (nor do I think all of the Friday shows have been great). And two-night shows are still a pretty even split between which night is better.

They have very, very few weekends with three consecutive shows, and when they do, one of them is almost always a Dave solo or D&T gig. I think the weekend with the Something in the Water festival and the Gorge weekend are the only exceptions.

They also scheduled West Palm Beach and Alpine on Saturday/Sunday of holiday weekends with no shows on Friday.
    Old 08-03-2022, 07:47 AM   #10
    daspfund22

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I actually feel like this summer is the first of the years they've been streaming on Fridays where the shows on Friday's have consistently been fire...in the past we would get the same songs every Friday and some lackluster energy...I think this tour in general has been up there though!
    daspfund22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2022, 08:02 AM   #11
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Yes because XCacel
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2022, 12:21 PM   #12
    notorious v.i.g

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Well it does seem that N2's have not been what we were used to them being in the past. Charleston a good example. At least setlist wise.
    Past: Newark, NJ (Prudential)
    notorious v.i.g is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2022, 12:24 PM   #13
    Springraces

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancheatham View Post
    I think you're overthinking this. The band is definitely aware of the streams, but I don't think Fridays are getting all of the good shows (nor do I think all of the Friday shows have been great). And two-night shows are still a pretty even split between which night is better.

They have very, very few weekends with three consecutive shows, and when they do, one of them is almost always a Dave solo or D&T gig. I think the weekend with the Something in the Water festival and the Gorge weekend are the only exceptions.

They also scheduled West Palm Beach and Alpine on Saturday/Sunday of holiday weekends with no shows on Friday.
    Considering that most 2 night stands are being pulled from the bucket of 50 regular songs and a few unique ones, I think it's just a crap shoot as to which night is best. Of course any night that gets YMDT, You & Me, Space Between, Shake Me, LB are not going to be the best. But if you go to both nights, you're likely to get those songs!
    Springraces is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-08-2022, 02:05 PM   #14
    jw209

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

This is a silly conversation because a 'good setlist' is arbitrary and based on one's personal tastes.

I previously doubted Dave cared about the Friday stream and thought it was very unlikely he considered it when making the set, but it seems there are quotes from Dave that say otherwise, and he does always seem to mention the stream during Friday shows. That said, it's more about mixing it up from other Fridays rather than playing anything particularly rare or different. I would absolutely challenge the original poster's comment that they reserve special performances for Friday shows. I absolutely do not think that's the case, nor do I think the stats would prove that to be true. When following sets this year, the ones I've thought looked the best were no more likely to be a Friday than any other day of the week. It's really personal preference.
    jw209 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2022, 04:06 PM   #15
    Cbusnancie

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I think Dave mentioning the Friday live stream on the stage also serves as a easy way to get a pop out of the crowd and build energy
    Cbusnancie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2022, 04:57 PM   #16
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I think even before the Sirius broadcasts started a few years ago, it sort of seemed like it was trending away from N2 being better than N1 for a two-night stand. Now it’s a bit more of a toss-up I think. When I first started seeing the band in ‘07 and ‘08, it seemed like the consensus, at least among my friends, was that if you could only make it to one night, choose Saturday over Friday. I don’t think that’s the case anymore.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2022, 10:23 PM   #17
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

i think if anything its just made 2 night stands more even instead of one ehh show and one great show. they'll be two different style of shows, but not necessarily one better than the other. it used to be that if one show was amazing, it was going to be saturday, and friday was a "also-ran" show. instead of a 5 and 9, now both shows are a 7 or 8.