The Next Studio album. - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-23-2020, 08:07 PM   #1
WhereYouGoin

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

The Next Studio album.

What are some safe bets as to what the next studio album will be?
*Another Come Tomorrow like album - some outtakes/leftovers + some newer songs.
*A completely fresh new one - eight years this year since Away from the World.
*Another Busted Stuff like album - lots of it is re-recording material from other sessions (Most of Busted Stuff is re-recording the tracks recorded with Steve Lillywhite in Early 2000).
*Another Dave solo album - seventeen years since the one he has (Some Devil).
Any insiders know anything.
WhereYouGoin is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-23-2020, 08:14 PM   #2
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Next Studio album.

The safest bet regarding the next album is that some people will love it, and some will hate it, but absolutely everyone will eventually grow to consider it middle of the road compared to the rest of the band’s work.
    Old 07-23-2020, 08:48 PM   #3
    WhereYouGoin

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crounsa810 View Post
    The safest bet regarding the next album is that some people will love it, and some will hate it, but absolutely everyone will eventually grow to consider it middle of the road compared to the rest of the band’s work.
    What "content" will it contain? Of the four choices I posted at the top of this post.
    WhereYouGoin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2020, 10:50 PM   #4
    SeekUpTheCubs
    DMBallwasher

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Bismarck
    Death on the High Seas
    Kill the King
    Shadows on the singing from the windows wall

Songs I could realistically see being on a new album I’d predict it’s a couple of those and then mostly new stuff

I don’t know a single inside detail. Just my speculation from what I’ve seen lately from them. I do believe they’ll get in the studio ASAP with Buddy. Plenty of times to write when the world is on fire and you’re stuck at home
    Old 07-23-2020, 11:44 PM   #5
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Dave himself already said in an interview in the past year that he thinks it's a good way to do albums or whatever, a mix of a few old cuts with new songs he's written. Whatever the quote was. But yes, I think that's what they'll do unfortunately.

I'd much prefer the entire band sitting in the studio together writing a totally new one, as much as I love older tracks not released yet.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2020, 04:50 AM   #6
    Madnana
    Smoke the Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Forget Stand Up... you're going to want to Sit Down for this one: DMB's first-ever EDM album, produced by Skrillex!
    I seriously don't know how I made it all the way through that shit. (weed)
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    WHOA! Super cool.
    Madnana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2020, 05:04 AM   #7
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I think they will finish up Come Tomorrow part 2. Especially with covid, they are possibly working remotely on finishing that up. Like Come Tomorrow, I think we’ll see a mix of some Cavallo tracks, some Batson tracks and hopefully some new tracks with Alagia. I don’t think Dave’s new song will be on the album, at least I personally hope not. It’s a nice song, but should be left as what it is. A man singing from his “window” during quarantine.

Cavallo:
    - Bismarck
    - Death on the High Seas
    - Sugar Will

Batson:
    - Break Free
    - Kill the King
    - Blackjack

Alagia / Evans
    - 5-6 new tracks
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2020, 05:19 AM   #8
    haiku.warrior
    the slow hand quickens

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Madnana View Post
    Forget Stand Up... you're going to want to Sit Down for this one: DMB's first-ever EDM album, produced by Skrillex!
    hell yeah brother
    DMB Dubstep for the win
    I showed my therapist a Rashawn solo and she said his screeching high notes are his little way of getting attention and may be compensating for other shortcomings, such as lack of taste.
    haiku.warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2020, 08:18 AM   #9
    Aircanuck

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

and let's not forget Spotlight still NEEDS to be released before I die.
    Aircanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #10
    Scoundrel

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Given DMB's track record for new studio work since 2001, I don't think we need another new album ever again. They have better luck with road testing new "live" songs (2004, 2006, etc) than they do actually recording anything in studio.

Big Whiskey was a highlight, and showed actual studio effort from the full band, but was just overplayed on subsequent tours.

Everyday, Stand Up, AFTW, Come Tomorrow... these all sound like half-DMB, half-Dave solo albums, neither of which is ever really satisfied to its true potential. A few bright spots here and there, but there has not been a single top to bottom great DMB album since 1998. DMB is a live band, always have been. Just play live, let songs develop on stage if they have new material, or just play the old stuff. New studio work is more often than a disappointment from this band, and that's just a sad reality. I say play to their strengths, and that strength is on stage - not in a studio.
    Scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #11
    CapnHani06
    JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeekUpTheCubs View Post
    Bismarck
    Death on the High Seas
    Kill the King
    Shadows on the singing from the windows wall

Songs I could realistically see being on a new album I’d predict it’s a couple of those and then mostly new stuff

I don’t know a single inside detail. Just my speculation from what I’ve seen lately from them. I do believe they’ll get in the studio ASAP with Buddy. Plenty of times to write when the world is on fire and you’re stuck at home
    - Sean
    CapnHani06 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2020, 10:00 AM   #12
    bmt322

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I assume it'll be another piecemeal album like CT. I don't expect the band to book a studio for two months and do nothing but create music. I think those days are over. This isn't our girl T-Swift who just dropped a completely brand new album out of nowhere.
    Old 07-24-2020, 10:15 AM   #13
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

The frustrating part is that they could have released a double album of previously recorded material if they wanted to. Just organize the tunes how you'd like, press it, and sell it to us...

I don't care who's on the tracks vs who's currently in the band, I'd just like to have the tunes...ESPECIALLY stuff we've never heard live or the full band do.

Also the days of people needing to be in a studio, the same room(s), same state, or same country even have long since passed. You may not get the precise real time interaction, but...
    - Dave, Fonz, whoever can lay down a part
    - the rest of the guys can listen/record
    - they can react musically over the recording live for the other guys
    - back and forth for hours

If they "needed" to be in a physical space together, the guys in BNL have gone back into the studio... They've gotten tested, distance themselves, wear masks when needed, etc. So it can be done safely even if you have families.

It's pretty apparent that Dave and/or the band aren't in any rush. There's nothing stopping them if they really wanted to record and release some music.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #14
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

My Tour Central Stats

They need to do the complete opposite of what they did for Come Tomorrow because that album sucks. There's a ton of reasons why I feel that way but a few of the major reasons are:

-They mixed and matched old songs with new songs causing the album to have no flow. On top of that, Can't Stop is just horrible...pick better older songs (it is 10x better with the middle eastern jam that was of course cut).
    -Batson should only be brought in for older 2006 songs. Everything else should be created with other producers. At this point I would welcome Lillywhite (of course), but if he is not an option (he's almost certainly not), I would prefer a producer they've never worked with before; a blank slate.
    -The majority of the songs on CT were created by Dave, by himself. The songs they've created as a band, in a studio together, tend to be their best songs.
    -Production on some of the songs (IOY stands out) is just really really shitty. I listened to Taylor Swift's new album this morning and was blown away by the production. It just feels lazy and gimmicky on CT.
    -Listen to the fans. Barely anybody liked Be Yourself but for some reason Dave still included bkbkdkbkdk on the album. Everybody likes Bismark and it's not on the album.

Last edited by Cscottrun; 07-24-2020 at 10:32 AM.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #15
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    The frustrating part is that they could have released a double album of previously recorded material if they wanted to. Just organize the tunes how you'd like, press it, and sell it to us...

I don't care who's on the tracks vs who's currently in the band, I'd just like to have the tunes...ESPECIALLY stuff we've never heard live or the full band do.

Also the days of people needing to be in a studio, the same room(s), same state, or same country even have long since passed. You may not get the precise real time interaction, but...
    - Dave, Fonz, whoever can lay down a part
    - the rest of the guys can listen/record
    - they can react musically over the recording live for the other guys
    - back and forth for hours

If they "needed" to be in a physical space together, the guys in BNL have gone back into the studio... They've gotten tested, distance themselves, wear masks when needed, etc. So it can be done safely even if you have families.

It's pretty apparent that Dave and/or the band aren't in any rush. There's nothing stopping them if they really wanted to record and release some music.
    Who said they haven't recorded again post Come Tomorrow?
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2020, 10:31 AM   #16
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You never know. We saw Stefan playing along with the Shadows Wall Singing song on Twitter. They could drop an album this year at any point or drop one next year before the summer tour. I would logically expect that to happen since basically their entire 2020 was canceled and Dave is writing new stuff already. This is pretty unprecedented for them to have this much down time, SURELY they can wrap up an album before we see them live again.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2020, 10:36 AM   #17
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aircanuck View Post
    and let's not forget Spotlight still NEEDS to be released before I die.
    I think the rumored flirtation of it being the pre-gap hidden track on Red Rocks is as close as it'll ever come. And rightfully so.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2020, 10:40 AM   #18
    Aforauer

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hahninator View Post
    You never know. We saw Stefan playing along with the Shadows Wall Singing song on Twitter. They could drop an album this year at any point or drop one next year before the summer tour. I would logically expect that to happen since basically their entire 2020 was canceled and Dave is writing new stuff already. This is pretty unprecedented for them to have this much down time, SURELY they can wrap up an album before we see them live again.
    This is what's frustrating to me as a big fan, is that they have all this time with the tour being canceled, but the chances they're in the studio are probably not high. Instead Dave spends his time in the CHOP zone and Biden benefits. Everything is so hush hush with them. I just don't see them surprising us with an album release as much as I'd like them to, along with the rest of the fanbase.
    Aforauer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #19
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Who said they haven't recorded again post Come Tomorrow?
    I haven't seen anyone say that, include me.

I did say that they weren't in a rush to release anything OR to record anything since the pandemic. Other artists have over the last few months, be it remotely or more recently in person. Several have released archived material while others have written, recorded, and released new material during this time. It seems clear that Dave has written/is writing material, but we've heard nothing shared/confirmed about recording for months.

Obviously I'm not in the loop so I wouldn't know, but have they spent anytime in the studio this year? Serious question to anyone that has info.
    Old 07-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #20
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hahninator View Post
    This is what I've been hoping. Perfect opportunity to work on material. During 2019 Dave was saying that they were working on stuff, that he, Fonz, and even Buddy were working on material that he was excited about.

There is currently no technological barrier to this stuff being developed and recorded. It's definitely a different process from what they've done and how they've generally worked in the past, but other artists have been doing this for decades. Yes recorded their Talk album this way more than two decades ago.

So again, we've seen no public sense of urgency to release new music. That said, they've had a history of going in and out of sharing their process over the years.

An archival release would have been awesome in and of itself, but I'd LOVE an album of all new band material.
    Old 07-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #21
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

I've liked a lot of the songwriting in the last 5 years or so, always happy to get more
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #22
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I've liked a lot of the songwriting in the last 5 years or so, always happy to get more
    Agreed. We love CT, so if that's what happens again we'll be good...as long as like the archival selections and the new tunes.

It's always a crapshoot, so we'll just wait and listen.
    Old 07-24-2020, 01:23 PM   #23
    LetYouDown22
    LetYouDown22

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Would love to see a Dave solo acoustic album, followed-up by a solo acoustic tour.

But I’ll take a new band album of old/new tunes.
    LetYouDown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2020, 01:49 PM   #24
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LetYouDown22 View Post
    Would love to see a Dave solo acoustic album, followed-up by a solo acoustic tour.

Or a Dave & Tim of new/original music.
    Old 07-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #25
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LetYouDown22 View Post

Strictly just Dave or add in other parts here and there?
    Old 07-24-2020, 02:58 PM   #26
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Just give me a new studio album fully exploring the new dynamic of the band, and I'll be good. They can add strings/guests/whoever, but give me a fully realized album with Buddy being used creatively as well as stronger horns.
    Old 07-24-2020, 06:13 PM   #27
    coolhotwaves
    is classic

My Tour Central Stats

I’m not super interested in a studio album at this point. I liked CT, save for the title track. I thought it was decent and at least interesting. Black and Blue Bird and Again and Again are the kinds of songS I’d like to hear out of the next album.
    coolhotwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2020, 06:25 PM   #28
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Agreed. We love CT, so if that's what happens again we'll be good...as long as like the archival selections and the new tunes.

It's always a crapshoot, so we'll just wait and listen.

It's my favorite album of theirs since the early 00's. I think if they were to include older songs on a new album again Sugar Will, Kill the King, Bismarck, Death on the High Seas and Break For It would be one hell of a starting point.

Sugar Will - great groove, most people love it

Kill the King - they could benefit greatly from having an aggressive song featured on a new album, all of their singles are soft and all the same feel. There is a reason why people who don't look further than what they hear on the radio think they only play soft songs like WAYG, Y&M, Mercy etc. and have no idea songs like Last Stop and Minarets exist.

Bismarck - most people love it and wanted it on CT, also good opportunity to highlight Jeff on an album where all hardcore fans will want more sax

DoTHS - continue with the eerie Radiohead feel from ViTR that worked really well

Break for It - Doesn't have to be this but any open feeling jam would be good
    Old 07-25-2020, 09:47 AM   #29
    jbrown211
    Josh

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I would definitely want a new studio album in 2020. This year has been a total crap shoot and a new DMB full band album would be fantastic for the soul.

It just seems to me that there has been no rumors at all about it so I’m not getting my hopes up. Even though they are tight lipped about working in the studio, there’s usually some strong rumors when they are recording.

A new album would definitely need Bismarck on it for me. After that, I’d prefer everything be new. I am good just jamming sugar will on the live Trax version and the Batson sessions break for it and break free is fine with me tbh. Do I think they could do more with those songs? Yes, but I also Think they wouldn’t want to or it would have made CT.

Buddy is fantastic and I’d like them to get a few albums out while he’s a part of what they have going on.
    jbrown211 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #30
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I think from the tidbits we were getting earlier and Dave’s comments recently about getting into the studio, I would be surprised to see anything other than a whole new batch of tracks all done with Batson. We MAY see some a couple of the Batson Sessions tracks re-worked, but I don’t think we see the same producer mashup CT was.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote