2012 New Album Info - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 02-17-2012, 04:38 AM   #61
hmich176
SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: 2012 New Album Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchrisII View Post
Didn't the band have a mobile studio on the road with them during the caravans? You dont think they werent writing at all during that time?
And in 2010 as well.

I think this album is going to be mostly new songs because that's the way Dave works. I'd also be concerned if they did mostly older songs. This doesn't seem like the right time to be doing that; I want to see what the band can do with Jeff being there from the start of the process.
hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #62
    sheldonlevene
    Mr. 1k

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmich176 View Post
    And in 2010 as well.

I think this album is going to be mostly new songs because that's the way Dave works. I'd also be concerned if they did mostly older songs. This doesn't seem like the right time to be doing that; I want to see what the band can do with Jeff being there from the start of the process.
    I think this is a really strong point. Jeff already plays someone elses parts for the entirety of the catalog. I think the band would want to get he and RR together to write some of their own stuff.

From a creative perspective I wouldn't blame them. I'm sure it would be refreshing for Jeff to be able to play something he wrote other than Squirm and a few others.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A SHOT AT ROI OR HIS LEGACY/MEMORY

I feel like people are too sensitive when people mention moving on in regards to Roi's passing.
    sheldonlevene is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #63
    Riverrat1
    libbala timmah?

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I can't wait to hear what Jeff and Rashawn have to offer. Jeff is a musical genius.
    Riverrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #64
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jas230314 View Post
    When they use the phrase "too dark", it partly has to do with the fact that the record executives, upon listening to the Lillywhite Sessions for the first time, asked the (infamous) question: Where's the Tripping Billies?

What that meant at the time was that tLWS had no real "hit", and typically, hits the band had made in the past were love songs or upbeat tunes. So, for Before These Crowded Streets, the singles were Don't Drink the Water, Stay, Crush, and (maybe?) Rapunzel.

DDTW being the lead single was a statement the band made - more of an anthem in the likes of Peter Gabriel, but it was supported with two incredible hit singles: Stay and Crush.

For the Lillywhite Sessions, they had:

Busted Stuff
    Grey Street
    Digging a Ditch
    Sweet Up and Down
    JTR
    Big Eyed Fish
    Grace is Gone
    Captain
    Bartender
    Monkey Man
    Kit Kat Jam
    Raven

Frankly, the only singles that could come of that were Grey Street and Grace is Gone. In my opinion, Big Eyed Fish could be successful, but regardless - they are all really dark in nature. So, "really dark" is a way of referencing both the tunes and lack of catchy singles the record execs were used to, but also the environment in which they were recording. Dave often calls those Sessions as 'dark' in the sense that they were exhausting, not fun, and the band members didn't get along well at the time.
    I think a finished Sweet Up and Down could have worked as an upbeat single. JTR would have made a good single as well. Not sure I agree about Big Eyed Fish as a single.
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #65
    KAK1154

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kingchrisII View Post
    Because songs that aren't on albums but have been worked on in the studio are not on albums for a reason.. they didn't translate well, weren't good enough etc... it doesnt seem logical that they would just release a bunch of b-sides.. im not saying some wont be reworked on and make the album, but i think there will definitely be new music. Didn't the band have a mobile studio on the road with them during the caravans? You dont think they werent writing at all during that time?
    Fair point. As for the mobile studio, I don't think they used it to write, I think they used it for rehearsal. We don't know for sure how much writing has been going on. I think it's very little.

Regardless, there are reasons to believe both sides of the argument, new vs. old songs. In my opinion, the evidence points toward old/reworked songs. I wouldn't call anyone stupid for thinking otherwise though, because you can make a case for either side.
    KAK1154 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    2012 , new album