Dave (solo): Jefferson Theatre + Live At Home Sirius Broadcasts (mastered by djamieb) - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
djamieb

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Dave (solo): Jefferson Theatre + Live At Home Sirius Broadcasts (mastered by djamieb)

Hey, fam!

I thought Dave's solo performance at the Jefferson Theatre this past weekend for the SOS Fest was excellent and I wanted to do a little mastering passion project to share with the community just like I did for Dave's terrific "Live At Home" Sirius XM Broadcasts in July and October. I did some really light and tasteful mastering again here, which I'll explain in the next paragraph. It's all music; I've carefully cut and created crossfades so that the set flows nicely from song to song to song.

(This is the paragraph where I'll explain what I did for the mastering. If you want to read what I did because you're curious or an audio geek like me, awesome! If you just want to go straight to the files at this point, I won't be offended at all, lol.) I applied just a little bit of dynamic EQ to even out the frequencies, tamed the "s", "sh", and "t" sounds with a little de-essing, brought some clarity to both the guitars and Dave's voice, created a little bit of a stereo spread to open up the sound, added just the tiniest hint of light compression to glue it all together, and applied a splash of reverb to compliment what was already there and to help fill out the room sound a bit. Dynamics are still very much in tact and I did zero "slamming" - I simply brought the loudest point up to -0.1. so it wouldn't be too quiet.

LINKS (Dropbox):
Jefferson Theatre "SOS Fest"(October)
Sirius "Live At Home" (October)
Sirius "Live At Home" (July)

(There are two folders in each link - one in WAV format as that's how I recorded them, and one in MP3 format for those wanting to listen on mobile. I also created some artwork and uploaded it, as well as embedded that in the MP3 files, but feel free to use your own, of course.)

Note: I thought these were awesome performances from Dave and they already sounded really nice, so I wanted to do a little mastering passion project to share with the community. I hope whoever wants to hear these gets enjoyment from all this!

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #2
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave (solo): Jefferson Theatre + Live At Home Sirius Broadcasts (mastered by djam

Awesome, really appreciate what you do!
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #3
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave (solo): Jefferson Theatre + Live At Home Sirius Broadcasts (mastered by djam

Dude! Thank you!
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2020, 11:50 AM   #4
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

My Tour Central Stats

These are now in my playlist with the 2 Sirius shows. 29 songs, no repeats, beautifully mastered!
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2020, 11:58 AM   #5
    showtime15

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

This is awesome! Thanks for the great work.
    Old 10-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #6
    dahpissah
    She is sooo hot!

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks a bunch!
    Old 10-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
    Drock414
    Drock414

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

This is awesome! Thank you! Any chance you could remaster 3.26 and 5.28?
    Drock414 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2020, 01:16 PM   #8
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks, Jamie!

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2020, 05:02 PM   #9
    DEMITRI

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djamieb View Post
    Hey, fam!

I thought Dave's solo performance at the Jefferson Theatre this past weekend for the SOS Fest was excellent and I wanted to do a little mastering passion project to share with the community just like I did for Dave's terrific "Live At Home" Sirius XM Broadcasts in July and October. I did some really light and tasteful mastering again here, which I'll explain in the next paragraph. It's all music; I've carefully cut and created crossfades so that the set flows nicely from song to song to song.

(This is the paragraph where I'll explain what I did for the mastering. If you want to read what I did because you're curious or an audio geek like me, awesome! If you just want to go straight to the files at this point, I won't be offended at all, lol.) I applied just a little bit of dynamic EQ to even out the frequencies, tamed the "s", "sh", and "t" sounds with a little de-essing, brought some clarity to both the guitars and Dave's voice, created a little bit of a stereo spread to open up the sound, added just the tiniest hint of light compression to glue it all together, and applied a splash of reverb to compliment what was already there and to help fill out the room sound a bit. Dynamics are still very much in tact and I did zero "slamming" - I simply brought the loudest point up to -0.1. so it wouldn't be too quiet.

LINKS (Dropbox):

(There are two folders in each link - one in WAV format as that's how I recorded them, and one in MP3 format for those wanting to listen on mobile. I also created some artwork and uploaded it, as well as embedded that in the MP3 files, but feel free to use your own, of course.)

Note: I thought these were awesome performances from Dave and they already sounded really nice, so I wanted to do a little mastering passion project to share with the community. I hope whoever wants to hear these gets enjoyment from all this!
    Incredible work again, I've been listening to your 3 remastered shows on repeat, we got some nice Dave solo stuff this year I must say.
    DEMITRI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-21-2020, 05:19 PM   #10
    hensleytyler44

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

All three of these shows sound amazing - thank you!
    hensleytyler44 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 03:55 AM   #11
    daveindyman
    Ants Member #79883

Shows Seen: 77

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Sweet! Thank you for your all your work on these shows this year!
    daveindyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 06:50 AM   #12
    Fpuonpko

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

thank you!
    Fpuonpko is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 07:11 AM   #13
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

I don't have any headphones that currently work and thought everything was really quiet on YouTube no matter how much I brought up the volume on my computer, it's great to have this and it's mixed well
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 08:13 AM   #14
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I appreciate these so much! Thank you!
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #15
    rjros3

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Sounds great! Thanks for putting these three together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rjros3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-22-2020, 09:29 PM   #16
    chach1369
    Bluto

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Dude! You. Are. Super. Thank you!!!
    chach1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #17
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Thank you! The only detractor is the lack of a spread between some of the tracks, but they sound great!

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 06:44 PM   #18
    TypicalBilly14

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hey, fam!

LINKS (Dropbox):

thank you. Enjoying it right now.
    TypicalBilly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-24-2020, 07:21 AM   #19
    djamieb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Awesome, really appreciate what you do!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    Dude! Thank you!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by showtime15 View Post
    This is awesome! Thanks for the great work.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dahpissah View Post
    Thanks a bunch!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    Thanks, Jamie!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveindyman View Post
    Sweet! Thank you for your all your work on these shows this year!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fpuonpko View Post
    thank you!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    I appreciate these so much! Thank you!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chach1369 View Post
    Dude! You. Are. Super. Thank you!!!

My pleasure!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drock414 View Post
    This is awesome! Thank you! Any chance you could remaster 3.26 and 5.28?

You’re welcome! 3.26 and 5.28 are the Pay It Forward shows, right? Sure, I’ll take a crack at those when I get a chance! I really enjoyed watching both streams when they were first broadcast and would be happy to work on them as soon as I get a chance (and as long as I can find a good quality stream still up on YouTube).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dodo36 View Post
    Thank you! The only detractor is the lack of a spread between some of the tracks, but they sound great!

Anytime! And yeah, I know what you’re referring to, definitely. In every case, I squeezed absolutely every single nanosecond of space I could out of the end of a song before either Dave spoke again or the broadcast was chopped to go to the next song. In the case of the Sirius shows, they were prerecorded and Sirius did not let the audio completely tail off naturally at the end of each song before jumping into the audio of the next fan making a song request, so I was really limited on transition time and letting the endings breathe in those cases. Such is radio, though, lol.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    These are now in my playlist with the 2 Sirius shows. 29 songs, no repeats, beautifully mastered!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hensleytyler44 View Post
    All three of these shows sound amazing - thank you!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DEMITRI View Post
    Incredible work again, I've been listening to your 3 remastered shows on repeat, we got some nice Dave solo stuff this year I must say.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I don't have any headphones that currently work and thought everything was really quiet on YouTube no matter how much I brought up the volume on my computer, it's great to have this and it's mixed well
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjros3 View Post
    Sounds great! Thanks for putting these three together.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 View Post
    thank you. Enjoying it right now.

You’re very welcome!! Thank you for the kind words, y'all! It means a lot and I’m so happy you’re enjoying these.
    Old 10-24-2020, 08:25 PM   #20
    ForkInFork

Shows Seen: 71

My Tour Central Stats

chiming in just to say awesome work and thanks!
    ForkInFork is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #21
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Just downloaded, now I looking forward to listen to all of them. Thanks!
    Old 11-06-2020, 09:32 PM   #22
    djamieb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ForkInFork View Post
    chiming in just to say awesome work and thanks!
    Hey, you're welcome! Thanks for the compliment!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    Just downloaded, now I looking forward to listen to all of them. Thanks!
    Nice! My pleasure. Hope you enjoy!
    Old 11-08-2020, 09:38 AM   #23
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hey, you're welcome! Thanks for the compliment!!

Nice! My pleasure. Hope you enjoy!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...0bd412a46c.jpg

Listening to them right now! Awesome work!
    Old 11-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #24
    djamieb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...0bd412a46c.jpg

Listening to them right now! Awesome work!

Sweet!! You're most welcome! And thanks for the kind comment, too.
    Old 11-25-2020, 05:02 PM   #25
    gpvt68

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Fantastic stuff, thank you djamieb!
    gpvt68 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2020, 08:55 PM   #26
    djamieb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gpvt68 View Post
    Fantastic stuff, thank you djamieb!
    Aww, you're welcome! My pleasure.
    Old 11-26-2020, 08:39 AM   #27
    wmg21
    shoot straight

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

Just getting around to downloading these and wanted to say thank you...and Happy Thanksgiving!
    wmg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-26-2020, 09:43 AM   #28
    djamieb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wmg21 View Post
    Just getting around to downloading these and wanted to say thank you...and Happy Thanksgiving!
    You're welcome!! And thanks! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, as well!
    Old 11-29-2020, 01:16 AM   #29
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I applied just a little bit of dynamic EQ to even out the frequencies, tamed the "s", "sh", and "t" sounds with a little de-essing, brought some clarity to both the guitars and Dave's voice, created a little bit of a stereo spread to open up the sound, added just the tiniest hint of light compression to glue it all together, and applied a splash of reverb to compliment what was already there and to help fill out the room sound a bit. Dynamics are still very much in tact and I did zero "slamming" - I simply brought the loudest point up to -0.1. so it wouldn't be too quiet.

Hi Djamieb,
    Because of the extraordinary result that you got (imo), I am more curious about your remastering.

I have some other stuff I would like to play with, to see if it is possibile to getter a better audio quality.

First: what program are you using or you recommend (I am a Mac user)?

What do you do exactly to spread the stereo?
    What do you mean when you said that you added a light compression?

Did you ever made a tutorial somewhere?

Thanks
    Old 11-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #30
    djamieb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Because of the extraordinary result that you got (imo), I am more curious about your remastering.

I have some other stuff I would like to play with, to see if it is possibile to getter a better audio quality.
    Hey, bud! Thanks again for the compliment, first off. I appreciate that! And sure, I’d love to try to answer the questions you wrote!

Quote:
    First: what program are you using or you recommend (I am a Mac user)?
    I’m also on a Mac, and I’m using Logic Pro X, which I love.

Quote:
    What do you do exactly to spread the stereo?
    To spread the stereo image a bit, I’m using a plugin during mastering that spreads specific frequencies further out to the left and right channels rather than coming right down the middle - this helps create more of a stereo image with those different frequencies popping out in both the left and right channel. It makes the sound more enveloping and truer to how our ears actually hear music.

Quote:
    What do you mean when you said that you added a light compression?
    Great question. A bit of light compression, or “glue compression”, helps to catch some of the transients or “spikes” in an audio file so that they don’t overwhelm the listener or stick out in an obvious way. Transients can be anything from the initial crack of a snare drum that lasts just a microsecond, to a guitar strum that was too heavy, or a single note being sung a little louder than every other note in that phrase, etc. Doing a little bit of compression helps to catch those sharp bursts of audio and tame them down so that they don’t jump out of the mix and distract you from everything else. It means the compressor is only really catching the big transients that last a microsecond, bringing them down in volume to match the music around it. This allows for a much smoother listening experience, where you don't feel like you need to constantly have your finger on the volume button in case a loud part is about to happen.

Quote:
    Did you ever made a tutorial somewhere?
    I haven’t made a tutorial, no. Maybe I will someday! There’s tons of good resources out there on compression and stereo spread, though. I'd also look into dynamic EQ - it's basically like an equalizer compressor, where it only kicks on when certain frequencies get louder than the threshold you set. For example, if there’s only certain parts of a song where an instrument hits a boomy frequency, like when a guitar/bass note creates that whoooom sound, you'd set up a Dynamic EQ to lower the volume on that specific frequency ONLY when that frequency crosses a certain volume. That’s how I learned this stuff - tons of research, reading articles, watching videos and masterclasses online, and asking friends who are in music production.

As far as plugins that I think are essential to get started with basic mixing (this is by no means comprehensive, but these are 2 tools that I use on absolutely every single mix) - get a good compressor and a good dynamic EQ. Waves is a company that makes excellent plugins for people of all different levels of experience and they often have sales so you can get their plugins for around $30-$35 each if you’re patient. A good starter kit would be the Waves CLA-2A compressor and the Waves F6 Dynamic EQ. I’ve used those on so many mixes; they both make it really fast and easy to dial everything in.

Quote:
    Thanks
    Sure thing! Hope that makes sense and that it helps!!

Tags
    community , dave solo , jefferson , mastered , sirius