An Idea On Why DMB Was Passed Up For Hall Of Fame This Year - what do you think? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #1
read1985

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

An Idea On Why DMB Was Passed Up For Hall Of Fame This Year - what do you think?

This occurred to me as part of the reason why dmb might have been passed up this year for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

No doubt the process is very political, but I bet if this crossed my mind, it crossed the mind of those involved in the process..what do you think?

So, no doubt the #MeToo movement is still fresh in everyone's mind and it is still evolving. The media, and probably most people, still haven't sorted out exactly how much to associate with those who have been accused of sexual impropriety but who have not been convicted.

Obviously Boyd has been accused of this. And you can't have a true dmb induction without Boyd as he has been an integral part of the band for the past 25 years. So as a media entity you have at least a couple options, you induct the band and invite the Boyd and risk being perceived as supporting someone who has been accused of sexual misconduct. Does Boyd play with the band? Is he invited, but does he not play? Is he on stage? Does he get to speak? So maybe you go the other way and you don't invite Boyd. Then a crucial part of DMB is missing. But surely he would be inducted with the band. Then you have someone who is inducted but not invited?

In either case, Boyd and whether he should or shouldn't be invited and play becomes the focus and not the band and their accomplishments.

It is my opinion that those who sit on the board of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction committee won't touch DMB until everyone in society figures out what is and what isn't perceived as acceptable treatment of someone accused of sexual assault.

And that, my friends, might be a very long time...

What do you think?
read1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
    kramer73

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: An Idea On Why DMB Was Passed Up For Hall Of Fame This Year - what do you think?

per google, these are the requirements for eligibility:

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists' contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

I would argue that the band's contributions have not been significant or influential to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

I'm sure they'll get in at some point, but definitely not the first year.
    kramer73 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #3
    Dannyyankou

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: An Idea On Why DMB Was Passed Up For Hall Of Fame This Year - what do you think?

I think it's as simple as they're just not getting in on the first ballot. They will eventually.

Look at the Baseball Hall Of Fame. Plenty of players that have been eligible and worthy for a while and haven't gotten in yet. Mike Mussina, Larry Walker, Edgar Martinez, etc
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
    Madnana
    Smoke the Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 14

My Tour Central Stats

That may be part of it, but I think it has more to do with their body of work. DMB has played it safe for the last couple of decades, putting out crap like Stand Up and Come Tomorrow instead of taking a chance on something different like Red Glare or Recovered. I mean, I am in love with Celebrate--it doesn't really sound like anything this band has ever put out. And this goes back to the Lillywhites as well... why shelve a song like Monkey Man and write a more commercial song like Where Are You Going? Because it's the safer, more marketable approach. Doesn't sound very rock 'n' roll to me.
    Madnana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    I think it's as simple as they're just not getting in on the first ballot. They will eventually.

Look at the Baseball Hall Of Fame. Plenty of players that have been eligible and worthy for a while and haven't gotten in yet. Mike Mussina, Larry Walker, Edgar Martinez, etc
    I'd argue against Larry Walker. If Helton (a better player) is hurt by playing in Denver then so will Walker.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
    Dannyyankou

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roose13 View Post
    I'd argue against Larry Walker. If Helton (a better player) is hurt by playing in Denver then so will Walker.
    I think Helton should get in too.

I just can't believe he came in 5th for MVP in 2000 when he arguably had the best season. I realize he played in Colorado, but he had a .372 BA.
    Old 10-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #7
    eddyg32

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Is it common for bands to be inducted within their first year of eligibility?
    eddyg32 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
    SeanMH
    GoWokeGoBroke

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

pete rose too

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klize17 View Post
    Last nights was the best version of Satellite I have ever heard.
    SeanMH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-24-2018, 12:58 PM   #9
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eddyg32 View Post
    Is it common for bands to be inducted within their first year of eligibility?

It's happened 51 times, per this site:

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/1st_Ballot.php

Reading through those names, no one should be surprised DMB didn't get in on the first try.
    Old 10-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #10
    dmbnut21

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I just can't see this really coming into play. Tons of bands that are in the hall of fame have had serious legal issues and still been inducted. Boyd's issues really haven't even made most news outlets. If you asked people to name people accused as part of the #metoo movement most would not even think of Boyd (and a lot wouldn't even know who he is). He is not Louis CK or Kevin Spacey. His issues are also quite different than most of what has come out.

If you want to blame Boyd for this band not being inducted into the hall of fame, blame it on his lack of ability/effort over 4 of the last 5 albums. Not #metoo.
    dmbnut21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #11
    Dannyyankou

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeanMH View Post
    pete rose too
    Well that’s a different situation, he was permanently banned from baseball

I do think he deserves to be in the hall though.
    Old 10-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #12
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

My Tour Central Stats

Batson maybe Ballard
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #13
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

The big difference is in the Baseball HOF you become eligible automatically if you have certain criteria.
    The music hall is all BS based on what the committee likes and not facts
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #14
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

theire bad
    Old 10-25-2018, 07:22 AM   #15
    Madnana
    Smoke the Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 View Post
    theire bad
    very insightful and perfectly spelled!
    Madnana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-25-2018, 06:06 PM   #16
    Melted

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

They played Satellite too many damn times.
    Melted is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #17
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Madnana View Post
    very insightful and perfectly spelled!
    thank''s
    Old 10-26-2018, 06:01 AM   #18
    richvisser23

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kramer73 View Post
    I would argue that the band's contributions have not been significant or influential to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.
    7 number one albums and tour sales say otherwise. Not to mention a ton, and I mean A TON, of musicians respect or look up to this band. Even some of the greats.

I think the band adding and removing members could hurt them in the short term, because the word iconic is harder to associate when the band has such a varied image (group). As to say, are we inducting 1999 DMB or 2018 DMB. It may sound dumb, but technically the bands greatest album didn't include half of the band that is now DMB. Just an opinion though.
    "The following text deals with a controversial subject. The theories expressed are not the only possible interpretation. Viewers are invited to make a judgement based on all available information."
    richvisser23 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-26-2018, 06:56 AM   #19
    ah1252

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

How the hell did it take Michael Jackson's 4th year of eligibility for him to get in?!?
    ah1252 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-26-2018, 07:00 AM   #20
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

My Tour Central Stats

Can we combine this into one of the 15 existing (really I think its down to just 2) Rock-N-Roll HoF threads?

Although there isn't really a prestige factor in calling a band who is inducted in their first year of eligibility, it doesn't happen too often. DMB will get there. Phish, Radiohead will too. I am hoping it's in Cleveland when it happens. I was surprised they weren't even nominated. After all, it is just a honor to be nominated.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-26-2018, 07:19 AM   #21
    sheldonlevene
    Mr. 1k

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Do we care if they're in or not?
    sheldonlevene is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #22
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheldonlevene View Post
    Do we care if they're in or not?
    I do.

Not really as a validation of their career, but so when I visit the museum, I can see more of their stuff there, as well possibly attending the induction, which seems like it would be fun.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #23
    dmbnut21

Shows Seen: 79

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    I do.

Not really as a validation of their career, but so when I visit the museum, I can see more of their stuff there, as well possibly attending the induction, which seems like it would be fun.
    Good answer. I was sitting here thinking that I didn't really care at all. It's not my career or my problem and I will like their music just as much either way. However, going to the induction and going to the museum to see their stuff would be cool so you changed my mind.
    dmbnut21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #24
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    I do.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbnut21 View Post
    Good answer. I was sitting here thinking that I didn't really care at all. It's not my career or my problem and I will like their music just as much either way. However, going to the induction and going to the museum to see their stuff would be cool so you changed my mind.

Yeah, I went once and it was a great time. The Pink Floyd display was the highlight for me, and I’d absolutely love it if they had a DMB section in the future. It’s a cool experience if you’ve never been
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-26-2018, 05:03 PM   #25
    pbroderi86

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

When will Cardi B be eligible?
    pbroderi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #26
    SeekNancyUp
    Answer is always yes...

Shows Seen: 90

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madnana View Post
    that may be part of it, but i think it has more to do with their body of work. Dmb has played it safe for the last couple of decades, putting out crap like stand up and come tomorrow instead of taking a chance on something different like red glare or recovered. I mean, i am in love with celebrate--it doesn't really sound like anything this band has ever put out. And this goes back to the lillywhites as well... why shelve a song like monkey man and write a more commercial song like where are you going? because it's the safer, more marketable approach. Doesn't sound very rock 'n' roll to me.
    this times a million.
    SeekNancyUp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2018, 06:28 AM   #27
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Madnana View Post
    That may be part of it, but I think it has more to do with their body of work. DMB has played it safe for the last couple of decades, putting out crap like Stand Up and Come Tomorrow instead of taking a chance on something different like Red Glare or Recovered. I mean, I am in love with Celebrate--it doesn't really sound like anything this band has ever put out. And this goes back to the Lillywhites as well... why shelve a song like Monkey Man and write a more commercial song like Where Are You Going? Because it's the safer, more marketable approach. Doesn't sound very rock 'n' roll to me.
    I completely agree. Since 2000, if you compare the released albums to what's been shelved it's just bizarre the choices this band has made. I still believe if tlws never leaked busted stuff is never made. Btcs came out along time ago and they clearly have material sitting on shelves, yet go into the studio and put out songs like you and me and tgiy. Since 06 I've hated, hated, hated can't stop, somehow seen it around ten times with guests, jammed out, whatever, yet they have an awesome version just sitting around. They have been doing that since 2000. DMB is like the ff draft pick you keep trotting out there because you know they CAN score 30pts but for some reason just doesn't. Randy moss standing with his hands on his hips at the line of scrimmage comes to mind.
    I do think they will get in on touring alone though, at some point. Maybe this year they were afraid they'd have to hear Billie and ants at the ceremony with no violin.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote