Idea of You studio version - Antsmarching.org Forums
Old 06-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #1
Jem360
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: VA
Posts: 7

Shows Seen: 10

Idea of You studio version

Does anyone else think this studio version sounds strange. Especially the transition from the first chorus to the second verse, it's very abrupt. Also the horns sound strange too. Dave on SiriusXM said most of this song was live recorded. I'm a musician myself so I notice these kinds of details. Anyone else notice these things?
Jem360 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #2
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels
     
    crashintonickdm's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
    Posts: 73,023

    Shows Seen: 73

    Re: Idea of You studio version

    Production on this record is the shits
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
    alec
     
    alec's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Location: CA
    Posts: 2,468

    Shows Seen: 27

    Re: Idea of You studio version

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jem360 View Post
    Does anyone else think this studio version sounds strange. Especially the transition from the first chorus to the second verse, it's very abrupt. Also the horns sound strange too. Dave on SiriusXM said most of this song was live recorded. I'm a musician myself so I notice these kinds of details. Anyone else notice these things?
    The first chorus to second verse transition was very jarring to me the first few times listening, but I have gotten used to it. I do prefer the way they do it live without that, but it doesn't bother me.

    I do wish that more time was spent on the mix. It does sound very raw, and that was probably what they were going for because it was live in the studio, but I think that song would sound very good if it were polished up a bit mix wise especially the drums. Snare and toms sound a bit flat compared to Carter's typical sound.

    It definitely made me realize that I had this expectation that any of the unrelated live gems were going to be treated with great care in the studio and sound amazing, but i have a feeling that if we ever get a live not live album, its going to be pretty raw like this.

    Last edited by alec; 06-20-2018 at 08:11 PM.
    alec is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #4
    Jem360
     
    Join Date: May 2018
    Location: VA
    Posts: 7

    Shows Seen: 10

    Re: Idea of You studio version

    I'm pretty sure the mixer cut off the instruments at the end of the first chorus and then Dave recorded second verse guitar and vocals separate. That's definitely what it sounds like. It's a very abrupt transition. I've honestly never heard anything like that before in any music I've ever listened to.
    Jem360 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-20-2018, 08:36 PM   #5
    jmkratt
     
    jmkratt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2002
    Location: Colorado
    Posts: 9,252

    Shows Seen: 37
    Send a message via AIM to jmkratt

    Re: Idea of You studio version

    Yeah, it's crap - the mixing.
    __________________
    John K
    jmkratt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-20-2018, 08:42 PM   #6
    CrashTheStone41
    Cordially Invited
     
    CrashTheStone41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Location: Across The Universe
    Posts: 41,303

    Shows Seen: 30

    Re: Idea of You studio version

    Studio version causes me to think Samurai Cop is over rated
    __________________
    I don't mean to interrupt you future magistrates and noblemen, but l, uh, I need a word.

    CrashTheStone41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2018, 08:46 AM   #7
    dobyblue
     
    dobyblue's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Posts: 26,367

    Shows Seen: 62

    Re: Idea of You studio version

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jem360 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the mixer cut off the instruments at the end of the first chorus and then Dave recorded second verse guitar and vocals separate. That's definitely what it sounds like. It's a very abrupt transition. I've honestly never heard anything like that before in any music I've ever listened to.
    Reminds me of Nine Inch Nails, I like it, I find it also makes the live intro less out of place too.
    __________________
    Questions about records, turntables and setup? Please post in the Vinyl thread rather than sending PMs:
    **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Last edited by dobyblue; 06-21-2018 at 08:47 AM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-12-2020, 09:47 AM   #8
    jl1982
     
    Join Date: Mar 2005
    Posts: 265

    Shows Seen: 13

    Idea of You studio version

    Listened to IOY studio for the first time since Come Tomorrow was released. God, the live crowd in the beginning really bugs me. What an awful idea to include this. Wish they had a rerelease of this track.
    jl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #9
    Cscottrun
     
    Cscottrun's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Long Island, NY
    Posts: 12,510

    Shows Seen: 66

    Re: Idea of You studio version

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jl1982 View Post
    Listened to IOY studio for the first time since Come Tomorrow was released. God, the live crowd in the beginning really bugs me. What an awful idea to include this. Wish they had a rerelease of this track.
    If the Batson Session version is not all that different (and if I recall, it's not), you may enjoy that version more as it does not contain the live intro. For me, the gold standard IOY has always been Fenway; but of course, that's live.
    __________________
    2020: Vegas
    2021: Mohegan and Spac
    Cscottrun is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #10
    jl1982
     
    Join Date: Mar 2005
    Posts: 265

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: Idea of You studio version

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    If the Batson Session version is not all that different (and if I recall, it's not), you may enjoy that version more as it does not contain the live intro. For me, the gold standard IOY has always been Fenway; but of course, that's live.


    I just listened...I can tolerate this, thanks!
    jl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram