Old 02-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #3121
whygohome?
BIG CAT WILLIE CAULEY

Location: Cawood Ledford Court at Rupp Arena in Lexington, KY

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: John Mayer

Love soon kind of sucks though IMO. Not a better song than walt grace by a long shot
whygohome? is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #3122
    CrashDMB237

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Paradise Valley is borderline unlistenable for me. I love almost every other album with Battle Studies being a little meh. PV is just garbage though.
    CrashDMB237 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #3123
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whygohome? View Post
    Love soon kind of sucks though IMO. Not a better song than walt grace by a long shot
    I dig on Love Soon. I really enjoy john's early personal relationship based songs because he is brutally honest about them and more often than not, we've all been there. I connect with it way more than some story about a guy who builds a submarine and makes it to Tokyo and gets to rub it in his friends and families faces.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #3124
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrashDMB237 View Post
    Paradise Valley is borderline unlistenable for me. I love almost every other album with Battle Studies being a little meh. PV is just garbage though.
    Yup. Paper Doll, Dear Marie, & Call Me The Breeze are the highlights for me on that album, and none of those are great songs. Dear Marie is probably my favorite, but I'd take Wonderland over it and everything else on PV.
    Old 02-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #3125
    whygohome?
    BIG CAT WILLIE CAULEY

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    I dig on Love Soon. I really enjoy john's early personal relationship based songs because he is brutally honest about them and more often than not, we've all been there. I connect with it way more than some story about a guy who builds a submarine and makes it to Tokyo and gets to rub it in his friends and families faces.
    Holy fuck did you miss the point of that song. Whoa

The basic gist of it is: when you find yourself in a rut and are not happy, only you can get yourself out of it. If you aren't afraid of failing or even dying to escape mediocrity, you can witness the sunset in the open sea or whatever your version of that is.

Last edited by whygohome?; 02-24-2015 at 01:50 PM.
    Old 02-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #3126
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

Meh. :shouldershrug

Care to elaborate?
    Old 02-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #3127
    whygohome?
    BIG CAT WILLIE CAULEY

My Tour Central Stats

Which is also why it's irrlevant if he lives or dies in the end of the song. He accomplishes what he set out to do: find peace and be remembered. This is accomplished we know bedause 'for once in his life, it was quiet/as he learned how to turn with the tides' and 'his friends bring him up when they're drinking'.

Whether he dies or not, he did what we all want with our lives. By doing something crazy and refusing to live the mediocre status quo for another day. It's extremely inspirational if it hits you at the right time, on the way to work or something.

Last edited by whygohome?; 02-24-2015 at 01:56 PM.
    Old 02-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #3128
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

Don't get me wrong, it's a fine song, and if that is the big overall gist, i still don't think it is all that amazing. Just a 'pretty good' song for me in his catalogue.

I'd take all of Room for Squares, Inside Wants Out, & Continuum (sans Dreaming with a Broken Heart) over Walt Grace. Best part of Walt Grace is the opening to it.
    Old 02-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #3129
    whygohome?
    BIG CAT WILLIE CAULEY

My Tour Central Stats

Faith in one's self is really powerful and not easily attained. We spend our childhood relying on our parents. Then after college we rely on relationships and friends. In the end if you aren't happy with YOU nothing will fill that void. At a certain point it takes something extreme (like building a motherfuckin submarine and pedaling across the pacific) to bring yourself that inner peace. It sounds a little hippy but it's very, very real and I can see how someone like john who seemingly has it all but obviously sometimes isn't happy with himself (as evidenced with almost everything on born and raised) would explore this theme. Ok im done now.

Eh it's ok you don't think its that great. You will one day. It's certiainly better than 'hey I like fucking you and if we keep fucking it might end up being love!" A la 'love soon' but that's my opinion

Last edited by whygohome?; 02-24-2015 at 02:02 PM.
    Old 02-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #3130
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

For me, Walt Grace is great, but If I Ever Get Around to Living is the MVP of B&R. I literally never get sick of that song.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #3131
    CrashDMB237

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I find myself listening to Born and Raised a lot when I travel for work. Something very soothing about that album. I don't dislike flying, but it certainly helps with the whole flying experience. I have a cross country flight to San Fran coming up at the end of March... might knock out the entire JM catalog.
    CrashDMB237 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #3132
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Love Soon is about meeting a girl on the internet

Dude is/was super weird
    Old 02-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #3133
    justink

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
    Love Soon is about meeting a girl on the internet

Dude is/was super weird
    whaaat? no it's not.

it's weird that you would think that.
    justink is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2015, 07:57 PM   #3134
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justink View Post
    whaaat? no it's not.

it's weird that you would think that.
    He explained it during the 6-15-99 Eddie's Attic show that it is
    Old 02-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #3135
    justink

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    He explained it during the 6-15-99 Eddie's Attic show that it is
    eh, john uses a lot of "for example" stories. but there's nothing about that song that says... "hey, so i met this chick on aolim. she's pretty rad."
    Old 02-24-2015, 08:13 PM   #3136
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    eh, john uses a lot of "for example" stories. but there's nothing about that song that says... "hey, so i met this chick on aolim. she's pretty rad."
    He explains that they met and she said she "was a little too old for him" He was like 18-19.

"I read your complaint, you'e needing someone older...."

Re-listening now. I fucking love Love Soon. Definitely one of my favorite Mayer songs.
    Old 02-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #3137
    justink

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    He explains that they met and she said she "was a little too old for him" He was like 18-19.

"I read your complaint, you'e needing someone older...."

Re-listening now. I fucking love Love Soon. Definitely one of my favorite Mayer songs.
    "I know you've been sworn
    I've read your complaint..."

That's allusion to a court proceeding.

great song though. he's really tried to distance himself from pre continuum stuff. which is a shame.
    Old 02-24-2015, 10:34 PM   #3138
    fonzz41
    The Gabe Abides

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    Are all the Room For Squares fans like die-hard fans from day 1? Like the album has a bit of nostalgia for you in addition to being just a very good acoustic pop album? I didn't get really into Mayer until around the Continuum era, other than being aware of No Such Thing, Wonderland, and Daughters, and as such I don't feel like I've ever been as completely enthralled with it as early Mayer fans.
    Yes, there is definitely some nostalgia that factors into my love for it. Just because of the way it changed my whole outlook on songwriting. I first discovered JM when I was randomly perusing the "M" section at a CD store (remember those?) back in like 2001 (I was 16). I had a habit back then of buying CDs just based on the look of the album, the song names, etc. I'd never heard of him, but the album looked cool - a guy on the front with a guitar, songs like "My Stupid Mouth", "3x5", and "Great Indoors". Plus, the CD was only like $7, so I bought it. I remember popping it into the CD player in my car for the drive home, and BOOM that intro to No Such Thing floored me. I think I listened to that song three more times before I allowed myself to listen to the remainder of the album. Even better when I started hearing it on the radio. Probably why that song ranked #2 on that silly every-JM-song ranking I did a couple pages back here. Other RFS songs rank higher on my list than probably on some people's (ahem, Great Indoors), and again, I fully admit to a nostalgia bias. But even then, Wonderland was at the very bottom - dead last - on my rankings. Can't stand it.

It's easy to see John's evolution from that album, but it still holds a special place in my heart simply because of how it changed my outlook on music. I'd always been a fan of the blues and jazz, as well as a fan of good acoustic folk/pop/rock stuff. But never had the idea occurred to me that you could COMBINE the two . I remember sitting down in my room trying to figure out No Such Thing early on. Finally I gave up and found a tab of it... I was like, "holy shit... he's playing jazzy/blues stuff over pop melodies and rhythms!!! Why didn't I think of that?!" A lot to handle for an innocent little teenager
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whygohome? View Post
    Faith in one's self is really powerful and not easily attained. We spend our childhood relying on our parents. Then after college we rely on relationships and friends. In the end if you aren't happy with YOU nothing will fill that void. At a certain point it takes something extreme (like building a motherfuckin submarine and pedaling across the pacific) to bring yourself that inner peace. It sounds a little hippy but it's very, very real and I can see how someone like john who seemingly has it all but obviously sometimes isn't happy with himself (as evidenced with almost everything on born and raised) would explore this theme. Ok im done now.
    Very well said. I'd always kinda considered the song to be a metaphor of John's life; kinda autobiographical in nature. Even after I read/watched an interview where he said it was just a character he made up, I still can't help but wonder if he's projecting a bit of himself onto Walt. This was another song that finished near the top of my silly rankings.
    Anyone that disagrees with Matty is wrong and should go fuck themselves.

Last edited by fonzz41; 02-24-2015 at 10:38 PM.
    fonzz41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2015, 03:43 AM   #3139
    dvalukis
    Em7Sus4

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    Yes, there is definitely some nostalgia that factors into my love for it. Just because of the way it changed my whole outlook on songwriting. I first discovered JM when I was randomly perusing the "M" section at a CD store (remember those?) ...
    Same thing for me. I'm guessing most of us are around the same age. For those of us rocking 6 strings at the time, JM was like advanced pop writing for guitar. You know, you learn the Dave stuff, the classic rock riffs, but nothing 'next level' was happening at the time until RFS came along. That album and the unreleased early stuff that you could grab off Napster, Limewire, or Kazaa probably propelled a lot of us to that "next level" we were looking for.

That early stuff is 'church' for some of us. Catherine Gagne' anyone? lol

dvalukis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2015, 03:51 AM   #3140
    bartender_man

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

How is John live these day? I saw him 3 times back when his first couple of albums came out but have not since.
    Old 02-25-2015, 06:10 AM   #3141
    dmbredsox36
    'celebrate we will'

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrashDMB237 View Post
    I find myself listening to Born and Raised a lot when I travel for work. Something very soothing about that album.
    Exactly how I feel - not necessarily the flying for work part, but in general, I really like songs from that album when I'm on the way to work in the mornings.
    dmbredsox36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2015, 06:57 AM   #3142
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

I think I actually came across Mayer through collecting live music. Around 2000 (age 17) I was just getting into collecting live DMB shows, which led me to others like OAR, Matt Nathanson, and Howie Day. I think I came across Mayer through finding those others' live shows, so I had heard a lot of bootleg live shows of his before ever hearing his studio album. I went to buy his CD in a store and it was still the black and white cover version that didn't include 3x5. I remember when the video for No Such Thing first came out (saw it on VH1) and thinking that it was neat to see a musician I had been liking "making it" with a real video. I still love those live acoustic shows of his from like 2000 where you can hear the bear bottles being thrown in the trash in the background. He improvised a lot and did some fun covers.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2015, 07:00 AM   #3143
    justink

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    I think I actually came across Mayer through collecting live music. Around 2000 (age 17) I was just getting into collecting live DMB shows, which led me to others like OAR, Matt Nathanson, and Howie Day. I think I came across Mayer through finding those others' live shows, so I had heard a lot of bootleg live shows of his before ever hearing his studio album. I went to buy his CD in a store and it was still the black and white cover version that didn't include 3x5. I remember when the video for No Such Thing first came out (saw it on VH1) and thinking that it was neat to see a musician I had been liking "making it" with a real video. I still love those live acoustic shows of his from like 2000 where you can hear the bear bottles being thrown in the trash in the background. He improvised a lot and did some fun covers.
    all of this post made me nostalgic. but the bold brought the truth. that's how you know you're listening to a real musician that's climbing.

i've recorded lots of those and battled those damn trash cans. i move them every chance i get.
    Old 02-25-2015, 07:30 AM   #3144
    fonzz41
    The Gabe Abides

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dvalukis View Post
    Same thing for me. I'm guessing most of us are around the same age. For those of us rocking 6 strings at the time, JM was like advanced pop writing for guitar. You know, you learn the Dave stuff, the classic rock riffs, but nothing 'next level' was happening at the time until RFS came along. That album and the unreleased early stuff that you could grab off Napster, Limewire, or Kazaa probably propelled a lot of us to that "next level" we were looking for.

That early stuff is 'church' for some of us. Catherine Gagne' anyone? lol
    YES!!!! If the early stuff is church, Gagne wrote the bible. I've still got a binder full of her tabs.

Your post is SPOT on. I remember grabbing so much live stuff (like Benny mentioned in his post) off Limewire, then finding Gagne's tabs and just working away at it.
    Anyone that disagrees with Matty is wrong and should go fuck themselves.
    fonzz41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #3145
    oasisfan35

Shows Seen: 86

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    I think I actually came across Mayer through collecting live music.
    I did just this. When DMB was on the LMA it was pretty awesome and I do believe I snagged the 'Inside Wants Out' SHNs around this same time.
    Old 03-08-2015, 08:30 PM   #3146
    saygood41

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

I came across this early show of John Mayer today, not sure how many of you have seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJVKEamLbss
    West Hollywood
    October 10th, 2001
    [DV-Masters]

Setlist:

00:00:58 Back To You
    00:06:52 City Life
    00:11:44 (Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic) »
    00:16:48 My Stupid Mouth
    00:21:02 Intro »
    00:22:07 No Such Thing
    00:27:45 Love Song For No One
    00:32:47 Your Body is a Wonderland
    00:41:24 Lenny (Stevie Ray Vaughan) »
    00:44:00 The Wind Cries Mary (Hendrix) »
    00:46:45 Everything Is Not Broken* »
    00:49:39 The Wind Cries Mary (reprise)
    00:52:18 Not Myself
    00:56:54 3x5
    01:02:55 Why Georgia
    01:09:09 Jam (?) »
    01:10:55 (LoFi Allstars Battleflag tease?) »
    01:11:04 Neon
    01:20:40 ----Encore Start---
    01:21:30 Comfortable

* - Rare John Mayer song
    saygood41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-08-2015, 08:48 PM   #3147
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

the song Quiet is one of my favorite dark horse songs of john.

Carry on.
    Old 03-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #3148
    justink

My Tour Central Stats

expect some movement from john coming in the next few weeks.

i'm excited!
    Old 03-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #3149
    HoldemHart
    Love This Goofy Bastard

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

i'm excited!

Your subtle comments are killing me. I can't wait to hear what he's got planned.
    HoldemHart is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-12-2015, 04:01 PM   #3150
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

i'm excited!

What is your inside connection? If you don't mind me asking.