New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 207 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #6181
HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibby1044 View Post
I will start by saying I like the song and don’t mind it. However him saying that after him clearly seeing poor reactions is annoying. Its especially annoying after him saying “you probably don’t like this song or think you don’t like this song but you should” because it’s good or whatever the hell it was that he said but he said that after…..CANT STOP. It’s like Dave Jesus man give it up already. Combining the can’t stop comment then him saying a similar thing Saturday is a little telling and should be telling to him considering every song he plays prior to 2005 doesn’t get anywhere near that reaction.
He’s been doing this since 2002 with WAYG.. it’s a tiny song.. a little song.. but fuck it. I like it. So heh..

I think the band has always played what they liked and wanted to play.. but their tastes have changed and some of ours have not..
HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-22-2021, 10:30 AM   #6182
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainDog1980 View Post
    I listened to SPAC N2 last night. I don’t normally listen to the taper pulls, but DMBHub makes it so easy.

Ocean and the Butterfly… yeesh. When it ended I said “that is not a good song” out loud, then I hear Dave say “I love that song! And that’s all that matters!” *shrugs*

I’m not stuck in the past, but the music they’re making now is fairly unremarkable, even for the style it has become. Still like them, but I’m not being on a Renaissance here.
    I didn’t like it the first 2-3 listens either.. give it a chance .. I love it now
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 10:35 AM   #6183
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcstasia View Post
    DMBs incredible evolution is what sets them apart from other bands. You can’t compare Rush to DMB. You simply can’t compare any band to DMB. They are in a league of their own. How many bands can manage to plow ahead without a few of their key members and tour non stop 30 years strong!!!!
    Widespread panic
    The stones
    The dead
    Phish
    Metallica

Those are 5…
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 10:36 AM   #6184
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    Widespread panic
    The stones
    The dead
    Phish
    Metallica

Those are 5…
    I missed without their core members. My apologies. Carry on…
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 10:37 AM   #6185
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
    Widespread panic
    The stones
    The dead
    Phish
    Metallica

Those are 5…

Edit: nvm!
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 11:20 AM   #6186
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I missed without their core members. My apologies. Carry on…
    But it still applies...they've all lost a core member or two over the years. Some even replacement core members that were there for more than a decade...

Except Phish...
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 11:29 AM   #6187
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I listened to SPAC N2 last night. I don’t normally listen to the taper pulls, but DMBHub makes it so easy.

For people that don't have android
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 12:02 PM   #6188
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Ocean and the Butterfly… yeesh. When it ended I said “that is not a good song” out loud, then I hear Dave say “I love that song! And that’s all that matters!” *shrugs*

I’m not stuck in the past, but the music they’re making now is fairly unremarkable, even for the style it has become. Still like them, but I’m not being on a Renaissance here.
    It's a great song.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2021, 05:17 AM   #6189
    kenticus

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I agree with Dave though - I really do quite like ocean and the butterfly. It’s a nice quiet song that the rest of the band added good pieces to that sticks in my head fairly well. You have to remember and we all need to that especially a new song like this, a quiet one, played in front of a 20k person summertime crowd where a lot of people have no clue what it is, yeaaaahhh there will be a large portion of the crowd not immediately reacting. Dave likely clearly knows that and good on him for not caring - I may at times disagree with song choices, but I’m not the guy playing them every night. They’re pretty up front that you don’t get the same set every night and that Dave plays what he likes, that’s the game.
    kenticus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2021, 06:16 AM   #6190
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    It's a great song.
    It's easily the best new song we have right now. I don't understand all the love for Walk Around The Moon.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2021, 01:32 PM   #6191
    anthonysoscia

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    It's easily the best new song we have right now. I don't understand all the love for Walk Around The Moon.
    We all have our own preferences, but to me walk around the moon has a lot of elements that make me love it:

- It breathes, builds, flows from beginning to end, which i think is a quality of a lot of their great tunes.
    - There are a lot of layers and you can tell a lot of musical thought was put into it. Many nuances, hits, etc, that change from verse to verse that keep it interesting instead of a simple musical verse that the band just repeats each time.
    - The melody/tonality is unique, and catchy, especially the pre chorus (?) and chorus. The bass line and even simple flute line fit perfectly. The vocal harmonies add a lot of depth and feel. Musically and lyrically, it's kinda trippy and mysterious. It's original.
    anthonysoscia is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2021, 01:36 PM   #6192
    dmbclstj2

Shows Seen: 80

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthonysoscia View Post
    We all have our own preferences, but to me walk around the moon has a lot of elements that make me love it:

- It breathes, builds, flows from beginning to end, which i think is a quality of a lot of their great tunes.
    - There are a lot of layers and you can tell a lot of musical thought was put into it. Many nuances, hits, etc, that change from verse to verse that keep it interesting instead of a simple musical verse that the band just repeats each time.
    - The melody/tonality is unique, and catchy, especially the pre chorus (?) and chorus. The bass line and even simple flute line fit perfectly. The vocal harmonies add a lot of depth and feel. Musically and lyrically, it's kinda trippy and mysterious. It's original.
    This. Not sure how there is even question that this is the best of the new batch of tunes.
    dmbclstj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2021, 01:45 PM   #6193
    anthonysoscia

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

Also, like a lot of their best tunes, it took a few listens to wrap my head around, which I think shows its complexity
    anthonysoscia is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2021, 08:40 PM   #6194
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Really well said.
    Old 09-23-2021, 08:47 PM   #6195
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Bingo. Hopefully they do it justice in the studio
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2021, 09:42 PM   #6196
    joevol017

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I really liked Ocean when Dave played it solo and though it had a chance to be very good full band. Then after I heard I felt it was missing percussion. Could have been just slightly heavier.

The Only thing is pretty much She with an extra couple of layers.

And you can sing Raven verses to Walk Around the Moon. But, it is catchy.

We’re now 30 shows in and have only heard these 3. All of them are not being played every night like new songs in the past (Sam Cop/Bismarck/Again…Just about every night). What does this say about the new album?
    joevol017 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-24-2021, 02:48 AM   #6197
    Dankguitar

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Ocean and the Butterfly is so damn bland, let’s not call it a great song. Maybe would make a decent Dave solo album song as a decent filler track, but has no place in the DMB setting
    Dankguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-24-2021, 09:06 AM   #6198
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
    I didn’t like it the first 2-3 listens either.. give it a chance .. I love it now
    That's fair. I did only give it a listen once. I did like the vibe of it, definitely has an older feel to it. It didn't sound like there is a lot going on within the song, and the melody didn't go anywhere to kind of make up for that.

For example, If Only. Terrible lyrics, but damn do I love the music and melody (for the most part).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenticus View Post
    I agree with Dave though - I really do quite like ocean and the butterfly. It’s a nice quiet song that the rest of the band added good pieces to that sticks in my head fairly well. You have to remember and we all need to that especially a new song like this, a quiet one, played in front of a 20k person summertime crowd where a lot of people have no clue what it is, yeaaaahhh there will be a large portion of the crowd not immediately reacting. Dave likely clearly knows that and good on him for not caring - I may at times disagree with song choices, but I’m not the guy playing them every night. They’re pretty up front that you don’t get the same set every night and that Dave plays what he likes, that’s the game.
    I agree with the bolded. Dave does like his "quiet, little songs" and that does not translate well to the size of the crowds and the venue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dankguitar View Post
    Ocean and the Butterfly is so damn bland, let’s not call it a great song. Maybe would make a decent Dave solo album song as a decent filler track, but has no place in the DMB setting
    Yes. That's the word I'd use - and feel like Carter was very underused there. As were the rest.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-24-2021, 03:33 PM   #6199
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dankguitar View Post
    I really like the full band version, especially the horns.
    Old 09-24-2021, 03:38 PM   #6200
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

New Album Coming Soon?

OATB is like Write A Song for me. It just…exists. There’s nothing offensive about it, but it’s just not memorable and I have no desire to see it live.
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-24-2021, 04:17 PM   #6201
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    OATB is like Write A Song for me. It just…exists. There’s nothing offensive about it, but it’s just not memorable and I have no desire to see it live.
    Probably the best description I’ve heard for Write A Song
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-24-2021, 08:56 PM   #6202
    ToydBinsley

My Tour Central Stats

Hello beautiful DMB community.. I have been a lurker for years enjoying the discussions you all have… I was hoping someone would have the same vision as me and post something similar to my ideas of what’s going to be released…

WATM is great in my opinion and it sounds like it has a female singer in it going back and forth with Dave. In the video, she’ll be the mushroom Dave takes.. the sigh at the end of the song feels like it’s set in the studio track as maybe a relief that he made it through the trip. The female will be Ariana Grande or Katy Perry… Dave wants new “affiliated” artists outside of the counting crows and Hootie. Maybe even Andre 3000 somewhere on the album since Dave mentioned outkast..

I also feel like they re-recorded past tracks…maybe even entire albums… mixed in with unfinished or unreleased material… this all being separate from the entirely new album that will hopefully drop on streaming services without warning.

Just an idea… roast me if you feel I’m stupid
    ToydBinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-24-2021, 10:31 PM   #6203
    alec

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToydBinsley View Post
    Hello beautiful DMB community.. I have been a lurker for years enjoying the discussions you all have… I was hoping someone would have the same vision as me and post something similar to my ideas of what’s going to be released…

WATM is great in my opinion and it sounds like it has a female singer in it going back and forth with Dave. In the video, she’ll be the mushroom Dave takes.. the sigh at the end of the song feels like it’s set in the studio track as maybe a relief that he made it through the trip. The female will be Ariana Grande or Katy Perry… Dave wants new “affiliated” artists outside of the counting crows and Hootie. Maybe even Andre 3000 somewhere on the album since Dave mentioned outkast..

I also feel like they re-recorded past tracks…maybe even entire albums… mixed in with unfinished or unreleased material… this all being separate from the entirely new album that will hopefully drop on streaming services without warning.

Just an idea… roast me if you feel I’m stupid
    I’ve been wondering….is Brenny short for Brennifer?
    alec is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 06:45 PM   #6204
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alec View Post
    I’ve been wondering….is Brenny short for Brennifer?
    does this dude have nothing better to do?
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 07:13 PM   #6205
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    yeah I'm completely neutral on Ocean, it's fine but it means nothing to me
    Old 09-27-2021, 05:16 AM   #6206
    ericvol

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

They have only 6 shows the next 6 weeks. With a solid 3 weeks with none. Will be Interesting to see if they put out any social media working on the album.
    Old 09-27-2021, 07:56 AM   #6207
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvol View Post
    They have only 6 shows the next 6 weeks. With a solid 3 weeks with none. Will be Interesting to see if they put out any social media working on the album.
    Unfortunately, they've not been great about using social media. It's kind of strange when you look back on that interview from the early-mid '90s where they're interviewed in a smaller club style venue talking about how the internet was instrumental in their success with fans spreading the word of mouth and sharing tunes/tapes through the connections made online. You'd think they would've had someone hop on and manage that and be at the forefront of it. Instead they didn't evolve w/ the internet into social media platforms in any leading way. More often than not they don't even follow what's working for others, but they never do anything new or innovative w/in the SM world and it's various platforms.

Ants has had discussions getting on Rodrigo, but it's clear that he's not been given anything even close to power in deciding what to share or hype. It's a shame as it's really only helping to keep their current audience size and interest. That said, I get the feeling that despite the fruits of the massive success DMB has had, I get the feeling that Dave would've liked being a bit smaller...less famous...definitely less overly revered. It seems like he'd prefer something like what the Avetts have or even Jason Isbell. Being successful, w/ loyal fanship, but w/o all the pressure to keep the titanic from hitting the iceberg...
    Old 09-27-2021, 11:31 AM   #6208
    ericvol

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Good points, I reckon my thoughts were mainly hoping Jeff/Fonz or Rashaun posted something cool on IG.
    Old 09-27-2021, 12:27 PM   #6209
    TwoStep420

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I may be in a position shortly to directly ask one of the band members about album status. I'll see what deets, if any, I can get.
    TwoStep420 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2021, 12:39 PM   #6210
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStep420 View Post
    I may be in a position shortly to directly ask one of the band members about album status. I'll see what deets, if any, I can get.
    Good luck. We're all counting on you.