• Old 11-30-2006, 02:40 PM   #122
    maherhar

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Heroin use

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trippinbilli40 View Post
    marijuana is not a drug, ok? cocaine is a drug. ive sucked dick for coke.(i seen him!!) have you ever sucked dick for marijuana?

didnt think so.

HAHAHAHAH HALF BAKED
    maherhar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2006, 02:42 PM   #123
    maherhar

Shows Seen: 8

My Tour Central Stats

im gona go blow a line ill bb in a few
    maherhar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2006, 03:58 PM   #124
    Bartender#41

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trippin4136 View Post
    FACT. Dave used to do to heroin.

I know its tough for many to wrap their head around, but he was a heroin addict around 1990-late 92/early 93
    I've always thought that was a known fact. I'm surprised that noone knows for sure but my friend who got me into dave told me dave was a heroin addict in the early 90's as well. That would explain his random wailing in songs and the davespeak
    Bartender#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2006, 04:02 PM   #125
    Bartender#41

Shows Seen: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrstyAnne View Post
    That made me laugh...mostly because it is true. Christian Music Today even reviews his albums!

I know that there are things that I did as a college student that were bad for me and that I probably wouldn't admit if asked.

Dave probably dabbled in a little of everything, like most young people. However, there is a difference between dabbling and being a heroin addict (R&R deals with addiction). If you did coke a couple of times at a party 10 years ago, that does not make you a cocaine addict.

Christy
    i think its good that christian music today reviews his albums. Dave has powerful lyrics that are almost always ambiguous. If christians interpret it in their favor then let them do so. Bartender is the perfect example because in the end dave basically says that hewishes he could be pure but it won't happen.
    Bartender#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2006, 04:06 PM   #126
    Heavy As Stone
    My wife is hot.

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

People point to Christmas Song and say "see!!!!" but then I point to the line in WYA where he says that calling to God is like cling to straw while drowning.

[/sarcasm]

Heavy As Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2006, 07:28 PM   #127
    DMBfireDncr41
    Ailes Affectueuses

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Dave couldn't have done heroine Keith Richards used it all up, we have to wait till hes dead then smoke his ashes.
    Old 11-30-2006, 07:30 PM   #128
    zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

we'll be waiting a long time then. Keith Richards is invinceable.
    zajDmB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #129
    gretchenmiester
    Star Person

Shows Seen: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DerekDenman View Post
    Dave is such a misleading bastard. I seriously need to know...cause if my role model does it, it must be ok.
    Yeah well..for what its worth, maybe its the needle on a record player.
    gretchenmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #130
    Jimi Thing 10

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DerekDenman View Post
    Dave is such a misleading bastard. I seriously need to know...cause if my role model does it, it must be ok.
    ah i thought it was funny
    Jimi Thing 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-10-2006, 10:17 PM   #131
    zepfan1234
    Lord of Time...

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive View Post
    I would believe that Rhyme & Reason is a pretty blatant admission to a previous addiction.
    Really?
    Old 12-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #132
    chr35919
    Chris

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

so, dave was skinny?

chr35919 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-11-2006, 07:34 AM   #133
    malachite00

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chr35919 View Post
    so, dave was skinny?
    And he wore funny hats.
    Old 12-11-2006, 09:41 AM   #134
    fantasia22
    Matt # 39

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AFly01 View Post
    heroin is a serious drug it is not like acid. you get addicted and dependant upon it. look at james taylor, eric clapton, neil young, jimi hendrix, john frusciante, dave navarro, kurt cobain, trent reznor...they all suffered and battled heroin for a very long time and everyone knows about it. heroin isnt the kind of thing someone tries occasionally and writes a song about it.
    i beg to differ. infact , as far as i am concerned. heroin is something ive tried occassionaly and wrote a song about. so ya
    fantasia22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-11-2006, 11:31 AM   #135
    msb3079

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

i met someone that worked at tweeter in camden for years... and said he saw dave doing coke several times... i didn't like hearing that but have sort of ignored it....
    msb3079 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-30-2006, 11:20 AM   #136
    nagapamp
    Bad Muther F 'er

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trippin4136 View Post
    FACT. Dave used to do to heroin.

I know its tough for many to wrap their head around, but he was a heroin addict around 1990-late 92/early 93
    I don't doubt he has, I was just saying you can't look at a picture and say he is a coke head or heroin addict! Thats all.
    Old 12-30-2006, 11:50 AM   #137
    MColin28

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagapamp View Post
    I don't doubt he has, I was just saying you can't look at a picture and say he is a coke head or heroin addict! Thats all.
    Sure you can...........look at the nasal passages. They're typically more defined or caved in a bit. Also the tip of the nose is more pronounced and pointy. I did a research on all this stuff for human anatomy.
    Old 12-30-2006, 11:52 AM   #138
    Invariant
    I drew my Avatar

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

In an interview on VH1, Dave says the biggest misconception people have of him is that he does alot of Weed. He says "I think weed should be legal, that doesn't mean I smoke it."

Doesn't mention anything about Heroin, but I wouldn't doubt he's done it and I don't doubt he liked it.

I think drugs are something alot of fans attribute to his actual personality. I remember an interview once, where Dave said he was high on cold medicine and Ricollas, and that he's exuding alot of fidgety energy because he was nervous. I think alot of times people assume it's what he's doing not who he is.

I doubt the thirty something million dollars he made last year went to snorting half of Peru up his nose. But of course, as most all of the generation of his time, I'm sure he's done drugs.

Last edited by Invariant; 12-30-2006 at 11:57 AM.
    Invariant is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-24-2021, 11:52 PM   #139
    DKX147992

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I’m new to the forums, or at least have yet to read through some of these old gems. But I can not believe I read that Can’t Stop (per someone’s interpretation) is a song about H???? Lol. That’s downright funny man.

Creative writing, whether you’re DM or John Denver is based in analogies and symbolism.

For someone to read LITERALLY into can’t stop as a song about a junkie would be to believe every song with the word God in it, or some other form of the christian figureheads (Jesus, Savior, Christ, whichever) is about Dave’e personal faith as a Christian believer.

It doesn’t matter how “graphic” or “obvious” the lyrics seem, the more obvious it seems to you, the more likely you are WRONG.

As a musician, and as a friend, bet your a__ Dave has seen friends, colleagues, and other ppl close to him struggle with addiction. But WHO OF US HAS NOT known someone, lost someone, witnessed someone, etc., completely devoured by addiction. It’s a phenomenon that’s almost impossible to understand unless you’ve been through it, and it inspires creative people to write about it. Not to save other addicts, not to talk about personal experience, BUT TO COPE WITH the cancerous blackholes in life that steal lives away way too young.

I’m a guy who can sit and think about WHY some people can try drugs and others try something once and it redirects their life once and forever. I have no way to express how bizarre that is, or why it happens to some ppl but not all. Well Dave has a way to express it - his music.

Thats all it is people. When dave writes a song about things in his life, he’s one of the most transparent writers in that he’ll tell stories on stage about the circumstances surrounding the song. But guess what?? Half of that is BULL_____ too! I’ve heard him tell a number of stories about several songs which contradict each other. He’s not LYING to us on purpose, but many of his lyrics are JUST vague enough to draw several logical explanations from. Dave wants his fans to put the lyrics in their pipe and smoke them, and draw whatever means something to THEIR LIFE from them.

Its really simple- but not as literal- as some of the things in this thread.

No one should criticize another’s interpretation UNLESS it just lacks creativity, and is as literal as the words appear. You dont tour the earth for 30 years by writing songs that mean verbatim what they appear to if a 9 yr old read them. Buy beyond that, everyone’s interpretation is worth hearing out... again unless you just obviously ignore things that are pretty public about Dave. Like if you think bartenders about dave’s faith in God, you’re just hearing words, you’re not listening or paying attention to his work as a whole
    DKX147992 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 12:32 AM   #140
    rain delay

Shows Seen: 4

My Tour Central Stats

He looks strung out in the Ants Marching video.
    rain delay is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2021, 08:05 AM   #141
    kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zajDmB1 View Post
    we'll be waiting a long time then. Keith Richards is invinceable.
    Honestly this might be the only comment that holds up in this thread 15 years later
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2021, 08:37 AM   #142
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    Honestly this might be the only comment that holds up in this thread 15 years later
    This one is even more relevant today:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cerpin_taxt View Post
    didnt dave tell a story about tripping in the woods on acid one time?
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2021, 12:22 PM   #143
    Thirtyfouroi

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKX147992 View Post
    I’m new to the forums, or at least have yet to read through some of these old gems. But I can not believe I read that Can’t Stop (per someone’s interpretation) is a song about H???? Lol. That’s downright funny man.

Creative writing, whether you’re DM or John Denver is based in analogies and symbolism.

For someone to read LITERALLY into can’t stop as a song about a junkie would be to believe every song with the word God in it, or some other form of the christian figureheads (Jesus, Savior, Christ, whichever) is about Dave’e personal faith as a Christian believer.

It doesn’t matter how “graphic” or “obvious” the lyrics seem, the more obvious it seems to you, the more likely you are WRONG.

As a musician, and as a friend, bet your a__ Dave has seen friends, colleagues, and other ppl close to him struggle with addiction. But WHO OF US HAS NOT known someone, lost someone, witnessed someone, etc., completely devoured by addiction. It’s a phenomenon that’s almost impossible to understand unless you’ve been through it, and it inspires creative people to write about it. Not to save other addicts, not to talk about personal experience, BUT TO COPE WITH the cancerous blackholes in life that steal lives away way too young.

I’m a guy who can sit and think about WHY some people can try drugs and others try something once and it redirects their life once and forever. I have no way to express how bizarre that is, or why it happens to some ppl but not all. Well Dave has a way to express it - his music.

Thats all it is people. When dave writes a song about things in his life, he’s one of the most transparent writers in that he’ll tell stories on stage about the circumstances surrounding the song. But guess what?? Half of that is BULL_____ too! I’ve heard him tell a number of stories about several songs which contradict each other. He’s not LYING to us on purpose, but many of his lyrics are JUST vague enough to draw several logical explanations from. Dave wants his fans to put the lyrics in their pipe and smoke them, and draw whatever means something to THEIR LIFE from them.

Its really simple- but not as literal- as some of the things in this thread.

No one should criticize another’s interpretation UNLESS it just lacks creativity, and is as literal as the words appear. You dont tour the earth for 30 years by writing songs that mean verbatim what they appear to if a 9 yr old read them. Buy beyond that, everyone’s interpretation is worth hearing out... again unless you just obviously ignore things that are pretty public about Dave. Like if you think bartenders about dave’s faith in God, you’re just hearing words, you’re not listening or paying attention to his work as a whole
    so you mean, rhyme and reason is about his one time or many time use of heroin and one of his favorite covers, needle and the damage is done, is one of his favorites because he relates to it ?

But anyhow, interesting topic. It goes without being said, the greatest music ever written was written under the influence. Anything from drinking to crack. And many musicians writing abilities tend to drop as they get older because as people get older, they move past that stage in their life. Of course, getting older takes you out of your prime as well. One person who has pulled it off without any substance abuse, according to themselves, is john mayer. Seems like his albums just keep getting better and better. Coldplays’ writing ability seems to continue to be on an upward trajectory. They dealt with substance abuses in the past but by all accounts they seem to be past that stage. And their writing seems to continue to be on an upward trajectory. But this is a cool conversation that could go on for hours.
    Thirtyfouroi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2021, 12:42 PM   #144
    camptravisr
    Numbered Beats

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thirtyfouroi View Post
    so you mean, rhyme and reason is about his one time or many time use of heroin and one of his favorite covers, needle and the damage is done, is one of his favorites because he relates to it ?

But anyhow, interesting topic. It goes without being said, the greatest music ever written was written under the influence. Anything from drinking to crack. And many musicians writing abilities tend to drop as they get older because as people get older, they move past that stage in their life. Of course, getting older takes you out of your prime as well. One person who has pulled it off without any substance abuse, according to themselves, is john mayer. Seems like his albums just keep getting better and better. Coldplays’ writing ability seems to continue to be on an upward trajectory. They dealt with substance abuses in the past but by all accounts they seem to be past that stage. And their writing seems to continue to be on an upward trajectory. But this is a cool conversation that could go on for hours.
    For John Mayer are you excluding whiskey and weed? Because he enjoys both of those things, and sings about it haha
    camptravisr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2021, 01:03 PM   #145
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

John has been off the booze for a while. He is over a year sober. He still does edibles though and regularly talks about it.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-29-2021, 03:02 PM   #146
    Thirtyfouroi

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camptravisr View Post
    For John Mayer are you excluding whiskey and weed? Because he enjoys both of those things, and sings about it haha
    Yep! Those don’t count lol
    Thirtyfouroi is offline   Reply With Quote