the (2021) summer so far - Page 36 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-22-2021, 01:56 PM   #1051
YankeesDMB41
King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: the (2021) summer so far

I'll take these really great main sets with lacklucker encores anyday. I got out of Jones Beach in literally 6 minutes yesterday and I left with 3 minutes left of DDTW. With the exception of SMLAM closing, these last three shows they have played have been as good of a 3 show run that I have ever seen. This tour (and I'm really just talking about the shows I've personally seen) blows 2019 and 2018 out of the water in terms of overall song quality and performances, along with a lot of the 2009-2016 Boyd years. I remember getting runs during the Electric sets of 2014 and 2015 that looked so bad, it looked like a parody of a bad set.

Rye Whiskey
One Sweet World
That Girl Is You
Pig
Sweet
So Damn Lucky
Can't Stop
Walk Around the Moon
You Never Know
Minarets
Jimi Thing »
I Want a New Drug [partial] »
Sexy M.F. [partial] »
Brown Sugar / Bitch [tease] »
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Say Goodbye
Kill the Preacher [partial]
Why I Am
What You Are
Lover Lay Down
Louisiana Bayou
Stay (Wasting Time)
Sister
Don't Drink the Water
Big Eyed Fish »
Bartender
Grace Is Gone
Grey Street
The Stone
So Much to Say »
Anyone Seen the Bridge »
Too Much
Sugar Will
Crush
Squirm
Lying in the Hands of God
Time of the Season
Pantala Naga Pampa »
Rapunzel
The Ocean and the Butterfly
Drive In Drive Out
Granny
Warehouse
All Along the Watchtower »
Christmas Song
Shake Me Like a Monkey
Seek Up
Funny the Way It Is
When the World Ends
You Never Know
The Space Between
Sweet Up and Down
Dancing Nancies
The Song That Jane Likes
Some Devil

These are all the songs I have seen DMB play in the last 5 days. I hear ALL the time that all we want on Antsmarching.org are good songs. I look at that list and I only see a small handful of bad songs. They are playing 90 percent good songs. Are they busting out liberations and TDs? No, and that is definitely not ideal...but if I'm being real, this is not a band anyone should be seeing 7 times a year anymore. That's on me. I shouldn't expect them to be playing tour debuts simply because I have been watching the setlists all summer and have been to multiple weekends.

I went to Jones Beach with my friend who saw Pearl Jam and Phish in NJ pretty recently, and he said that the band he saw play yesterday brought an energy that he could not believe. He also said DMB was noticeably more tighter than PJ and Phish, which is something I never thought I'd hear him say. He's already asking me about MSG. This has been a fantastic tour, and they are really showing no real signs of slowing down when you are there and watching them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.

Last edited by YankeesDMB41; 09-22-2021 at 01:59 PM.
YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-22-2021, 02:51 PM   #1052
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Just gonna let all the recency bias wear off here for everyone fresh off shows. We will be looking back next year scratching our heads on why this was an acclaimed "best since 2013, best in 4.0 era, etc" tour.

Ultimately you could take runs of a few 2019 shows and those probably contain 99% of the same great songs (like what Yankees listed above) as are contained in these 2021 sets. Then all you are left with is set composition, slots, and predictability. When looking at those categories, 2021 is one of the worst of all time.
    Alpine416 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #1053
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    I'll take these really great main sets with lacklucker encores anyday. I got out of Jones Beach in literally 6 minutes yesterday and I left with 3 minutes left of DDTW. With the exception of SMLAM closing, these last three shows they have played have been as good of a 3 show run that I have ever seen. This tour (and I'm really just talking about the shows I've personally seen) blows 2019 and 2018 out of the water in terms of overall song quality and performances, along with a lot of the 2009-2016 Boyd years.

This has been a fantastic tour, and they are really showing no real signs of slowing down when you are there and watching them.

Yep, best since '13

This was one of my main takeaways from SPAC, they've got several years at a high level ahead
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #1054
    SeekUpTheCubs
    DMBallwasher

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Yep, best since '13

This was one of my main takeaways from SPAC, they've got several years at a high level ahead
    I think 15 and 16 are quietly better than this year. but i like 2021

Sets are good. Lot of classics getting solid play. it's pretty light on big bust outs though. bust outs are what made 2013 so strong

also... dave almost completely ignoring AFTW and Come Tomorrow is a huge head scratcher. There are so many songs on those that id like to see get a few plays a tour. drive in drive out style
    Old 09-22-2021, 03:06 PM   #1055
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeekUpTheCubs View Post

Sets are good. Lot of classics getting solid play. it's pretty light on big bust outs though. bust outs are what made 2013 so strong

also... dave almost completely ignoring AFTW and Come Tomorrow is a huge head scratcher. There are so many songs on those that id like to see get a few plays a tour. drive in drive out style

I hated their sound those years and I'm very glad AFTW isn't being played much
    Old 09-22-2021, 03:13 PM   #1056
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeekUpTheCubs View Post
    '15, '16, & '19 are all better tbh. Which don't get me wrong I do agree 2021 has been enjoyable and they do sound great.
    Alpine416 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 09:03 PM   #1057
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alpine416 View Post
    Just gonna let all the recency bias wear off here for everyone fresh off shows. We will be looking back next year scratching our heads on why this was an acclaimed "best since 2013, best in 4.0 era, etc" tour.
    Unless they release a new album. And no matter how good it is, if it isn't AMAZING people will be bitching about hearing 5-7 songs from that album most nights...
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 09:14 PM   #1058
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alpine416 View Post

Ultimately you could take runs of a few 2019 shows and those probably contain 99% of the same great songs (like what Yankees listed above) as are contained in these 2021 sets. Then all you are left with is set composition, slots, and predictability. When looking at those categories, 2021 is one of the worst of all time.
    As the guy above me said, wait until they're playing their new album for half of the setlist.

Most of the sets this tour have had anywhere from 10-15 songs from the Big 4/RTT...You will not see that on an album tour, I will make that bet right now. Big Whiskey/Everyday/Can't Stop/Cornbread/SDL/Gravedigger do not go away during album tours, that's been proven many times.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.

Last edited by YankeesDMB41; 09-22-2021 at 09:16 PM.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2021, 05:19 AM   #1059
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

I feel like a year from now I'll look back and think it was great to see them play my favorite songs, just like I have for other shows I loved and never changed my opinion on

Bartender is your favorite? Wait a year and look back at it, once that recency bias wears off you'll think differently!
    Old 09-23-2021, 05:39 AM   #1060
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 View Post
    As the guy above me said, wait until they're playing their new album for half of the setlist.
    Kinda underlines the core problem with this band, though, doesn’t it? The notion that the new stuff sucks?
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2021, 05:41 AM   #1061
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

2021 will fade a bit in rankings IMO. It’ll be remembered for a pretty consistent formula of 1) excellent 4-5 song opening run, 2) often turning into long sections with brutal runs mid set 3) decent variety in main set ending runs, and 4) mostly bad encores/Shake Me closers.
    Old 09-23-2021, 05:58 AM   #1062
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Losing Carter and Stefan definitely has impacted the quality of the sets since…Atleast during the week sets anyway.
    bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2021, 06:09 AM   #1063
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Kinda underlines the core problem with this band, though, doesn’t it? The notion that the new stuff sucks?

#1 gripe with the band
    Old 09-23-2021, 06:20 AM   #1064
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My thought was that the new stuff could even be great, but unless it's absolutely mind-blowing...as good or better than BTCS and tLWS...diehards are going to complain. I'm not talking about reasonable fans, but the ones that have already decided the album isn't going to be any good.

It has indeed become a preconceived notion among a chunk of the fans...that no new music will ever be good enough. CT had a lot of folks saying they listened to it once, hated it, won't ever listen again, hearing anything from it live is the worst, etc. While we happen love it, I get that a lot of fans didn't, but it's clear that a fair amount didn't really give it a chance.
    Old 09-23-2021, 06:23 AM   #1065
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    My thought was that the new stuff could even be great, but unless it's absolutely mind-blowing...as good or better than BTCS and tLWS...diehards are going to complain. I'm not talking about reasonable fans, but the ones that have already decided the album isn't going to be any good.

It has indeed become a preconceived notion among a chunk of the fans...that no new music will ever be good enough. CT had a lot of folks saying they listened to it once, hated it, won't ever listen again, hearing anything from it live is the worst, etc. While we happen love it, I get that a lot of fans didn't, but it's clear that a fair amount didn't really give it a chance.

I like CT, the majority of it doesn't work live, in order to have a great setlist they have to avoid the last 15+ years of songwriting as much as possible
    Old 09-23-2021, 06:34 AM   #1066
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

CT suffers from some really bad production - and the mastering is WAY too hot. It’s a Frankenstein album - bolted together (in some cases, very lazily…looking at you, IOY). Some of the songs are good, but they don’t get played live at all these days (ViTR, B&BB, etc). A lot of the songs are bad, and they get played too often (Can’t Stop, TGIY). As a studio album the production and mastering make it near un-listenable for me. As a collection of songs live, the good ones (IMO) sit on the shelf and the bad ones get rotation.
    Old 09-23-2021, 06:52 AM   #1067
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I like CT, the majority of it doesn't work live, in order to have a great setlist they have to avoid the last 15+ years of songwriting as much as possible
    Heard, respected, but disagreed with. Bayou has to be my least favorite song from the band...in that pile of songs that aren't merely subpar for DMB, but are just not good/enjoyable. It does not, however, ruin a show for me. Whether in a run or dispersed throughout at set, five or so songs that O don't like won't bring down a night. I'll take any song I like live, I don't care about the crowd and whether or not it "flows" or the energy. The only songs that I like that I don't want to hear from DMB are the covers. They play come great covers, but I don't want them at any of my shows. The also don't ruin a show for me, it's just annoying...until/unless I give in, which is easiest the first time you see them play a cover. After that, shit gets tedious and frustrating.

Quote:
    CT suffers from some really bad production - and the mastering is WAY too hot. It’s a Frankenstein album - bolted together (in some cases, very lazily…looking at you, IOY). Some of the songs are good, but they don’t get played live at all these days (ViTR, B&BB, etc). A lot of the songs are bad, and they get played too often (Can’t Stop, TGIY). As a studio album the production and mastering make it near un-listenable for me. As a collection of songs live, the good ones (IMO) sit on the shelf and the bad ones get rotation.
    I enjoy every song on that album more than the vast majority of ED and SU. I don't get hung up on production unless it's too treble focused and/or the levels are off (e.g.: you can't hear the bass). LOVE TGIY, but I know lots of folks didn't like it out of the gate and it hasn't improved for them...completely understandable.

No one can really argue the issue with some of their best songs either being played too rarely or almost never. The liberation list is full of way too many amazing tunes and I've gotten Bayou at 10 of my last 19 shows...what in the actual fuck is that all about?
    Old 09-23-2021, 06:55 AM   #1068
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

At least the Bayou jam is really good.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2021, 07:51 AM   #1069
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    Heard, respected, but disagreed with. Bayou has to be my least favorite song from the band...in that pile of songs that aren't merely subpar for DMB, but are just not good/enjoyable. It does not, however, ruin a show for me. Whether in a run or dispersed throughout at set, five or so songs that O don't like won't bring down a night. I'll take any song I like live, I don't care about the crowd and whether or not it "flows" or the energy. The only songs that I like that I don't want to hear from DMB are the covers. They play come great covers, but I don't want them at any of my shows. The also don't ruin a show for me, it's just annoying...until/unless I give in, which is easiest the first time you see them play a cover. After that, shit gets tedious and frustrating.

I enjoy every song on that album more than the vast majority of ED and SU. I don't get hung up on production unless it's too treble focused and/or the levels are off (e.g.: you can't hear the bass). LOVE TGIY, but I know lots of folks didn't like it out of the gate and it hasn't improved for them...completely understandable.

No one can really argue the issue with some of their best songs either being played too rarely or almost never. The liberation list is full of way too many amazing tunes and I've gotten Bayou at 10 of my last 19 shows...what in the actual fuck is that all about?

I was talking about having a great setlist, you seem to be talking about songs not ruining a set and things you'd take, to me there is a giant difference.
    Old 09-23-2021, 08:39 AM   #1070
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Last night was the first time I actually listened hard to ocean and the butterfly

They are pretty incapable of writing anything great anymore.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2021, 10:52 AM   #1071
    chrisjuniper

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Last night was the first time I actually listened hard to ocean and the butterfly

you are not wrong.
    chrisjuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2021, 01:18 PM   #1072
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I was talking about having a great setlist, you seem to be talking about songs not ruining a set and things you'd take, to me there is a giant difference.
    It's combination, but some folks on these boards threw away SPAC N2 because of the SMLaM closer.

I've thoroughly enjoyed every CT song we've heard live at least once, the inclusion of VItR, Cop, TGIY, B&BB, Bob Law, and others are part of great sets for us. We wouldn't just take them, but we'd welcome them as we've heard great versions of the songs. Can't Stop, She, & COCO...not so much, but they won't diminish an otherwise great set.

CT works for us live because we like the songs. Give me a show that has VItR, B&BB, KtK, BF, Broken Things, Mercy, LItHoG, Time Bomb, SO, Cop, Riff, DS, and any of the LRB EP could be the core of great set with a mix of other staples. Sure JTR, DT, SUaD, PM, the Stone, TS, and others would elevate it further, but we'd still love that show.

It's all good though. As I often type...we all get and enjoy different stuff from the band, with HUGE pool of stuff we all enjoy together.
    Old 09-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #1073
    camptravisr
    Numbered Beats

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post

It's my least favorite of the new songs. But I won't go that far (yet). I like almost all of the 2016 songs and Windows. WATM I'm still figuring out. Don't like TOT.
    camptravisr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2021, 05:22 PM   #1074
    crounsa810

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

This year the band has not played:

Dream So Real
    Again & Again
    Alligator Pie
    American Baby
    American Baby intro
    Angel
    Angel from Montgomery
    Baby Blue
    Beach Ball
    Belly Belly Nice
    Belly Full
    Be Yourself
    Bismarck
    Black and Bluebird
    Blackjack
    Blue Water
    Break For It
    Break Free
    Broken Things

Buena
    Burning Down the House
    Busted Stuff
    Butterfly
    Come On Come On
    Come Tomorrow
    Cortez the Killer
    Crazy Easy
    Cry Freedom
    Death on the High Seas
    Deed is Done
    Dive In
    Down by the River
    Dreamgirl
    Drunken Soldier
    Eh Hee
    Everybody Wake Up
    Fool to Think
    Gaucho
    Get in Line
    Good Good Time
    Good Times Bad Times
    Halloween
    Hunger for the Great Light
    I Did It
    Idea of You
    If I Had it All
    Joyride
    Kill the King
    Kit Kat Jam

Let You Down
    Little Red Bird
    Little Thing
    Long Black Veil
    Long Train Runnin
    Loving Wings
    Mother Father
    Out of My Hands
    Pay For What You Get
    Plastic Girl
    People People
    Runnin Down a Dream
    She
    Shotgun
    Sleep to Dream Her
    Smooth Rider
    Snow Outside
    Spoon
    Spotlight
    Stand Up
    Steady As We Go
    Tell Me Something Good
    The Dreaming Tree
    The Last Stop

Time Bomb
    Water into Wine
    When I’m Weary

I really only miss the bolded. I guess we could really be doing A LOT worse

Last edited by crounsa810; 09-23-2021 at 05:24 PM.
    crounsa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 04:55 PM   #1075
    MichaelDM

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I’m so sexy motherfucking not even truly sure how to or what to feel bout the Choctaw shows being cancelled.

Like goddamnit, I bought my entire family including my new sister in law Pit tix for both shows so many months ago and now two weeks prior to the literal ONLY thing I’ve been extremely needing and counting on or looking forward to is just manslaughtered before my very eyes with no answer or closure provided of the details. I just want to smash something arghhh
    MichaelDM is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 05:03 PM   #1076
    MichaelDM

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I just don’t understand the point of playing sledgehammer or I want a new drug into sexy MF into bitch into I can’t get no satisfaction into six other straight covers EVERY single show as opposed to or in favor or all the damn good songs this band created, yet I suppose gets? Like give me some recently or typical situation or so right or American baby or anything they just have bailed on altogether over a fucking cover.

Am I wrong for thinking that what truly makes a good cover of whatever song the fact that it’s not routine, it’s not programmed, it’s a spur of the moment feeling that you get to honor someone or something in that very instance? So how is covering the same 6 covers every other night honorable or even a thing? Cover sledgehammer once or twice a tour and it’s meaningful! Cover it 4 shows a week and it’s miserable.
    MichaelDM is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 09:01 PM   #1077
    JboDaveGuyYNK

Shows Seen: 42

My Tour Central Stats

sorry about Choctaw man, that does blow. As for the covers- we were at the karaoke fest Gorge N2, not ideal but was still fun. would gladly welcome recently, typical, AB, so right in Denver in 2 weeks. would gladly welcome 1 of those 4.
    JboDaveGuyYNK is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 09:06 PM   #1078
    JboDaveGuyYNK

Shows Seen: 42

My Tour Central Stats

drunken soldier, snow outside, time bomb, break for it, water into wine, halloween, busted stuff (#34, #40) would also be bolded for me - but so would much of the unplayed list.

Thanks for that insight, crounsa810. def could be doing much worse- thoroughly enjoying this summer.
    JboDaveGuyYNK is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-25-2021, 10:53 PM   #1079
    crounsa810

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JboDaveGuyYNK View Post
    drunken soldier, snow outside, time bomb, break for it, water into wine, halloween, busted stuff (#34, #40) would also be bolded for me - but so would much of the unplayed list.

Thanks for that insight, crounsa810. def could be doing much worse- thoroughly enjoying this summer.
    Yeah, it’s really a pretty decent tour if you think of it like this:

Let’s keep the songs with 10+ plays this tour the same. Those are: Grey St, Warehouse, Can’t Stop, Nancies, SMTS, Too Much, Bayou, Jimi, #41, DDTW, Everyday, Funny, WATM, So Damn Lucky, Sexy MF, I Want a New Drug, Ants, Seek Up. Windows, Grace, WTWE, Why I Am, Sweet.

Now, take the songs with 2-3 plays, toss them on the shelf and replace with the rarer songs not played this tour (or very often really). That means these songs would likely switch as follows:

Lover Lay Down = Pay For What You Get
    Two Step = Time Bomb
    LIOG = Drunken Soldier
    Crash = Dreamgirl
    Ditch = Sleep to Dream Her
    BEF = Mother Father
    Write a Song = Hunger for the Great Light
    Rye Whiskey = Down by the River
    I’ll Back You Up = Death on the High Seas
    Christmas Song = Little Red Bird
    Rhyme & Reason = Alligator Pie
    JTR = I Did It
    Raven = Dive In
    So Right = Belly Belly Nice
    Some Devil = When I’m Weary
    Hello Again = Blackjack
    Sugar Will = Gaucho
    Time of the Season = Runnin Down a Dream
    Come Together = Burning Down the House
    If Only = Smooth Rider
    Virginia in the Rain = Out of My Hands
    Recently = Stand Up

Assuming the rest of the song plays stay the same, I think it’s clear we could have a MUCH worse tour this year. Sure, those swaps would see some rarities busted out, but would we really want to chance hearing them at our shows? I know I wouldn’t make most of those trades (I’d be ok swapping the covers).
    Old 09-26-2021, 07:20 AM   #1080
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

What happened to Typical Situation and Recently? I haven't checked the stats but I think they only have one play each.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote