Big Whiskey's relation to Metallica - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
BrettMatthews

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Big Whiskey's relation to Metallica

Q: What have Metallica and Big Whiskey in common?
A: The Unforgiven

Why?

Big Whiskey was a town's name in Clint Eastwood's movie "The Unforgiven" from 1992... if DMB have known that? Has the drunken man yelling "Big Whiskey" during DMB's recording session just watched that movie ? Who knows....what has LeRoi to do with a town in Wyoming??? Lots of questions left....;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unforgiven

Plot

A group of prostitutes in Big Whiskey, Wyoming, offers a $1000 reward to anyone who would be able to kill two cowboys that disfigured one of them (Anna Levine). This offer upsets the local sheriff, a former gunfighter named Little Bill Daggett (Gene Hackman), who does not allow guns or assassins in his town.
Far away, in Kansas, The Schofield Kid (Jaimz Woolvett), an arrogant young man, visits the farm of William Munny (Clint Eastwood), seeking to recruit him to kill the cowboys. In his youth, Munny was an infamous bandit and drinker, but is now a widower raising two children on a pig farm. Though Munny initially refuses to help with the assassination, his pigs are sick, so he reconsiders and sets off to catch up with the Kid. On his way, Munny recruits his former riding partner, Ned Logan (Morgan Freeman), who reluctantly leaves his wife.
Back in Wyoming, gunfighter English Bob (Richard Harris) and his biographer W.W. Beauchamp (Saul Rubinek) arrive in Big Whiskey, also seeking the reward. Little Bill and his deputies disarm and beat him in the street, to set an example. While Bob is in jail, Little Bill gets Beauchamp to present a firearm to Bob, who refuses to take it, thinking it is unloaded. Little Bill tells Bob that he would have killed him if he had taken it. Bob is ejected from town, but Beauchamp decides to stay.
Munny, Logan, and the Kid arrive in Big Whiskey in a storm and head to the whorehouse. Munny has a bad fever, and is sitting alone in the saloon when Little Bill confronts him. Munny gives him a false name and tells him he is unarmed. Bill searches Munny and discovers his gun concealed in his coat, so he kicks him into the street. Logan and the Kid, who are upstairs with the prostitutes, escape when they realize the law is on to them.
The three regroup outside town, where they nurse Munny back to health. Then they ambush a group of cowboys in the canyons and kill one of the targets – but Logan and Munny no longer have much stomach for murder. Logan decides he will return home. Munny and the Kid head to the cowboys' ranch, where the Kid ambushes the second target in an outhouse and kills him. After they escape, the distraught Kid confesses he had never killed anyone before.
Logan is captured by Little Bill's men, and is beaten to death by Little Bill, but not before giving up his two accomplices. When he is told, Munny begins drinking. An alcoholic, he had until this point refused whiskey. The Kid rides off to deliver the reward money to Munny and Logan's families, while Munny heads into town to get revenge.
That night, Logan's corpse is displayed as a warning. Inside, Little Bill has assembled a posse. Munny walks straight into the saloon with a shotgun. A gunfight ensues, in which Munny shoots five men – including Little Bill – without being hit. He then drinks whiskey at the bar. Mr. Beauchamp asks for details about the gunfight, but Munny sends him on his way.
Little Bill, it turns out, was only wounded. When he tries to cock his gun the two look at each other as Little Bill angrily says "I'll see you in hell". Munny shoots Little Bill and kills Deputy Clyde, who survived the initial shootout.
As he rides off, Munny stops by Ned's body and shouts: "You'd better bury Ned right!" The final scene is a silhouette of Munny's farm.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
    sir iggius

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Big Whiskey's relation to Metallica

what hell is this about?
    Old 09-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
    sean52692

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Big Whiskey
    Old 09-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
    Bohrman26

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Fuck Titties?
    Old 09-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
    whygohome?
    BIG CAT WILLIE CAULEY

Location: Cawood Ledford Court at Rupp Arena in Lexington, KY

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Did you meet Dick Trickle?

Eric!

What? He's a race car driver! His name is Dick Trickle!
    Old 09-07-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
    BrettMatthews

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sir iggius View Post
    what hell is this about?
    The band Metallica has a famous song called "The Unforgiven", like the name of Eastwood's 4 times Oscar awarded movie "The Unforgiven" from 1992, that is taking place in a town in Wyoming, called Big Whiskey.....got it?
    Old 09-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

0 out of 10
    Old 09-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Internet posts
    Old 09-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Also, Big Whiskey was dmb's fifth number one album in a row. The only other band in history to accomplish this is Metallica.
    Old 09-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
    Flip36
    FIGHT OWEN FIGHT!

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

i got a boner.
    Stop comparing albums. Every album is different. Thats the point of making a new album, to create something new and different. To evolve. just sit back relax and go with the flow.
    [{46}] show's since [{'99}]!
    Old 09-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flip36 View Post
    i got a boner.
    Let me drink it, Let me drink it
    Old 09-24-2010, 10:55 PM   #12
    Boyardee
    Banana Stand Operator

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

yo nigga how you do this shit
    Old 09-24-2010, 11:05 PM   #13
    #27#34#36#40#41

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

any time i see this thread pop up i wonder..what could anyone possibly be responding to this other than... what in the hell are you talking about ? sir
    Old 09-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
    BigEyedFerg
    Content and dreaming

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

/facemelt
    Old 09-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #15
    #27#34#36#40#41

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrettMatthews View Post
    Q: What have Metallica and Big Whiskey in common?
    A: The Unforgiven

Why?

Big Whiskey was a town's name in Clint Eastwood's movie "The Unforgiven" from 1992... if DMB have known that? Has the drunken man yelling "Big Whiskey" during DMB's recording session just watched that movie ? Who knows....what has LeRoi to do with a town in Wyoming??? Lots of questions left....;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unforgiven

Plot

A group of prostitutes in Big Whiskey, Wyoming, offers a $1000 reward to anyone who would be able to kill two cowboys that disfigured one of them (Anna Levine). This offer upsets the local sheriff, a former gunfighter named Little Bill Daggett (Gene Hackman), who does not allow guns or assassins in his town.
    Far away, in Kansas, The Schofield Kid (Jaimz Woolvett), an arrogant young man, visits the farm of William Munny (Clint Eastwood), seeking to recruit him to kill the cowboys. In his youth, Munny was an infamous bandit and drinker, but is now a widower raising two children on a pig farm. Though Munny initially refuses to help with the assassination, his pigs are sick, so he reconsiders and sets off to catch up with the Kid. On his way, Munny recruits his former riding partner, Ned Logan (Morgan Freeman), who reluctantly leaves his wife.
    Back in Wyoming, gunfighter English Bob (Richard Harris) and his biographer W.W. Beauchamp (Saul Rubinek) arrive in Big Whiskey, also seeking the reward. Little Bill and his deputies disarm and beat him in the street, to set an example. While Bob is in jail, Little Bill gets Beauchamp to present a firearm to Bob, who refuses to take it, thinking it is unloaded. Little Bill tells Bob that he would have killed him if he had taken it. Bob is ejected from town, but Beauchamp decides to stay.
    Munny, Logan, and the Kid arrive in Big Whiskey in a storm and head to the whorehouse. Munny has a bad fever, and is sitting alone in the saloon when Little Bill confronts him. Munny gives him a false name and tells him he is unarmed. Bill searches Munny and discovers his gun concealed in his coat, so he kicks him into the street. Logan and the Kid, who are upstairs with the prostitutes, escape when they realize the law is on to them.
    The three regroup outside town, where they nurse Munny back to health. Then they ambush a group of cowboys in the canyons and kill one of the targets – but Logan and Munny no longer have much stomach for murder. Logan decides he will return home. Munny and the Kid head to the cowboys' ranch, where the Kid ambushes the second target in an outhouse and kills him. After they escape, the distraught Kid confesses he had never killed anyone before.
    Logan is captured by Little Bill's men, and is beaten to death by Little Bill, but not before giving up his two accomplices. When he is told, Munny begins drinking. An alcoholic, he had until this point refused whiskey. The Kid rides off to deliver the reward money to Munny and Logan's families, while Munny heads into town to get revenge.
    That night, Logan's corpse is displayed as a warning. Inside, Little Bill has assembled a posse. Munny walks straight into the saloon with a shotgun. A gunfight ensues, in which Munny shoots five men – including Little Bill – without being hit. He then drinks whiskey at the bar. Mr. Beauchamp asks for details about the gunfight, but Munny sends him on his way.
    Little Bill, it turns out, was only wounded. When he tries to cock his gun the two look at each other as Little Bill angrily says "I'll see you in hell". Munny shoots Little Bill and kills Deputy Clyde, who survived the initial shootout.
    As he rides off, Munny stops by Ned's body and shouts: "You'd better bury Ned right!" The final scene is a silhouette of Munny's farm.
    genius
    Old 09-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #16
    joshizzle3
    dj general

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

if you rearrange the letters in metallica, you get email talc. Dave uses email, and Boyd has soft skin so he probably uses talcum powder.

Just more evidence... Good work OP.
    Old 09-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #17
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Big Whiskey allowed DMB to tie Metallica for being the only two acts with five consecutive No. 1 studio albums.

There's a real connection.