Ants Podcast 104: Pucker Up, Critics - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-12-2019, 06:49 PM   #1
Matt

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Ants Podcast 104: Pucker Up, Critics

We must discuss the current hot topic right now: the recent Dave comments made on SiriusXM. “Kiss my a**.” The guys offer their reaction to the comments, plus Boyd lawsuit news and implications. We touch on all the latest DMB happenings including a new show download and new Come Tomorrow single. And we end with a discussion on your listener comments and questions.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-12-2019, 07:03 PM   #2
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Ants Podcast 104: Pucker Up, Critics

Should be a short one. "Dave is a dick, until next time folks, good nite."
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
    rizzor
    DMBaholic

Shows Seen: 136

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

No Podcast # 104 ... via all podcast providers, I’m only finding podcasts up to # 103 ����*♀️ Any advice is appreciated!
    Old 06-12-2019, 07:55 PM   #4
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Not up on Overcast yet.....
    Old 06-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #5
    Matt

My Tour Central Stats

I screwed up the XML. Should be fixed and refreshed shortly.
    Old 06-12-2019, 08:30 PM   #6
    rizzor
    DMBaholic

Shows Seen: 136

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks Matt - I’ve got it now
    Old 06-12-2019, 08:30 PM   #7
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

All good, up now
    Old 06-13-2019, 08:29 AM   #8
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Joe, Treehouse Brewing Beer....yes!
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2019, 09:30 AM   #9
    watchtower08
    heavy as stone

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I bet the band laughs hysterically at people spending their time doing this type of stuff
    watchtower08 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #10
    BruceW

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by watchtower08 View Post
    I bet the band laughs hysterically at people spending their time doing this type of stuff

Meaning what?

Doing an audio version of what you do already on a message board?
    Old 06-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #11
    Borat Sagdiyev
    jagshemash

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I've been a DMB fan forever, on this board sporadically for 10 or 12 years, and a relative newcomer to the podcast, having caught perhaps the last 15-20 episodes. And I have to say, the level of contempt that Matt has for the band is really off-putting. Obviously among hardcore fans there are debates about set lists, creative choices, new and old band members, and on and on...and those are worthy discussions when done constructively.

But if you can't set some of that aside and just have fun at a show or enjoy the music, then what's the point? If literally every every bit of news is nothing more than an opportunity for a snide comment, then why continue doing this? I can't imagine managing a fan web site for a band I have that much derision for.
    Borat Sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2019, 01:54 PM   #12
    NiCK Crush

Shows Seen: 131

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
    I've been a DMB fan forever, on this board sporadically for 10 or 12 years, and a relative newcomer to the podcast, having caught perhaps the last 15-20 episodes. And I have to say, the level of contempt that Matt has for the band is really off-putting. Obviously among hardcore fans there are debates about set lists, creative choices, new and old band members, and on and on...and those are worthy discussions when done constructively.
    It works for the podcast though. Joe is pretty much positive across the board, so it leads to more interesting conversation with Matt's negativity.

What fun would it be to listen to an hour of two guys just praising every single thing the band does? How is that interesting?

I'm generally a pretty positive DMB fan as well, but there are some things Dave and the band do that absolutely warrant hardcore fan complaints.
    Old 06-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #13
    Borat Sagdiyev
    jagshemash

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
    It works for the podcast though. Joe is pretty much positive across the board, so it leads to more interesting conversation with Matt's negativity.

What fun would it be to listen to an hour of two guys just praising every single thing the band does? How is that interesting?

I'm generally a pretty positive DMB fan as well, but there are some things Dave and the band do that absolutely warrant hardcore fan complaints.

I said clearly in my earlier post there is plenty to criticize or discuss...constructively. This is not that.

Presumably the podcast is geared toward people who enjoy the band. Which isn't to say that everything is or should be positive at all times. But if your general disposition toward the band is that you despise what they've become - and that is the tone that comes across - then how is that interesting? What fun is it to listen to an hour or two of that?
    Old 06-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #14
    NiCK Crush

My Tour Central Stats

Do you want Matt to fake it for you then?
    Old 06-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #15
    Antiramie

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

The "kiss my ass" and "I play what I want" comments aren't nearly as offensive as Dave's song preferences. Without the latter, the former probably wouldn't have come up, and, if they did, most fans wouldn't have batted an eye at them.

Going back to the dentist analogy, let's say Dave is a dentist prone to lewd conversation. As a patient that values gentle, pain-free care above everything else, you tolerate his talk (given the comments don't go overboard) because technically he's an amazing dentist. At some point, his dental technique starts declining. Since he's now just above-average, your inhibitions about talking about his lack of bedside manner are gone. You start to converse with the receptionists and other patients in the waiting area about it. The criticism gets back to him. And he posts a note on the door that says, "Anyone that doesn't like what I say while I'm working on your teeth can kiss my ass!". The tone of the note isn't really a surprise. But given he's no longer an indispensable commodity, you wonder if maybe finding a new dentist (or not opting for all the semi-necessary frills if you do stay with him) wouldn't be a better option.

Again, none of this would matter if Dave didn't yada yada his setlists for months.
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #16
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I said clearly in my earlier post there is plenty to criticize or discuss...constructively. This is not that.

Presumably the podcast is geared toward people who enjoy the band. Which isn't to say that everything is or should be positive at all times. But if your general disposition toward the band is that you despise what they've become - and that is the tone that comes across - then how is that interesting? What fun is it to listen to an hour or two of that?
    I think Matt and I have similar views on the band/Dave right now, although I kind of hunt and peck through podcasts so I don't have the greatest sample size to back that notion.

Historically, I've spent a lot of time, money, and energy (compared to other hobbies) on the band...going to shows, conversing on the boards, etc. And I still find them interesting enough right now, despite having a lot of reservations and criticisms toward some of the choices they've made the past few years. And despite all their flaws, they're still my favorite band, which I think says a lot. So I continue to go to a show a year and talk about them extensively here.

I think it's just a personality thing that some people don't get. We can still be critical as hell of something and still love it. Other people, like you, think those things are mutually exclusive. At least that's how I'm interpreting what you've said.

P.S. The podcast is geared towards Ants members. And there's a lot of negative ones here

Last edited by Antiramie; 06-13-2019 at 02:42 PM.
    Old 06-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #17
    Borat Sagdiyev
    jagshemash

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
    Do you want Matt to fake it for you then?

I guess you missed the previous two posts where I said there are legitimate criticism worth discussing.
    Old 06-13-2019, 02:42 PM   #18
    NiCK Crush

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I guess you missed the previous two posts where I said there are legitimate criticism worth discussing.
    I mean you specifically said Matt was off-putting so I was addressing that.
    Old 06-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #19
    TimHonks

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

But if you can't set some of that aside and just have fun at a show or enjoy the music, then what's the point? If literally every every bit of news is nothing more than an opportunity for a snide comment, then why continue doing this? I can't imagine managing a fan web site for a band I have that much derision for.
    Agreed. I quickly found out this podcast wasn't for me.
    TimHonks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #20
    Borat Sagdiyev
    jagshemash

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    I think Matt and I have similar views on the band/Dave right now, although I kind of hunt and peck through podcasts so I don't have the greatest sample size to back that notion.

Historically, I've spent a lot of time, money, and energy (compared to other hobbies) on the band...going to shows, conversing on the boards, etc. And I still find them interesting enough right now, despite having a lot of reservations and criticisms toward some of the choices they've made the past few years. And despite all their flaws, they're still my favorite band, which I think says a lot. So I continue to go to a show a year and talk about them extensively here.

I think it's just a personality thing that some people don't get. We can still be critical as hell of something and still love it. Other people, like you, think those things are mutually exclusive. At least that's how I'm interpreting what you've said.

P.S. The podcast is geared towards Ants members. And there's a lot of negative ones here
    I think your last sentence is the money quote here.

I definitely do not think that criticism of something and loving it are mutually exclusive. But like with many things, it's a matter of degree, and I admit I struggle to reconcile the borderline disgust people display for the band, and the time they spend expressing that disgust, with the love they supposedly have for it.

Like, I just don't get spending time/effort/energy on something that doesn't make you happy. In my mind, you either have to accept its flaws and find something good in it, or move on. But obviously not everyone sees it that way.

The easy solution here is for me to simply take my own advice and not listen to the podcast if it doesn't make me happy. So I imagine that's what I'll do.
    Old 06-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #21
    Matt

My Tour Central Stats

For those who want to hear only positive comments, the podcast was a lot more sunshine and rainbows when the band was still, ya know, good.

I would be tickled to return to those days. That doesn’t mean I have to fake it when things are lousy.
    Old 06-13-2019, 03:21 PM   #22
    BruceW

My Tour Central Stats

For those that don’t like what’s going on with the Ants podcast, what are you looking for in a DMB podcast?

I personally like the dichotomy that exists between Matt and Joe at times. Do I wish Matt enjoyed more things associate with the band and seemed more positive, yes, but I’m sure he does as well. I’ve listened to the pod for long enough to know that Matt truly loves this band and a lot of the things they’ve done, and I hope the rest of the tour brings more for him to get excited about. Happy Matt and Joe make for some good pods!
    Old 06-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #23
    Borat Sagdiyev
    jagshemash

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    For those who want to hear only positive comments, the podcast was a lot more sunshine and rainbows when the band was still, ya know, good.

I would be tickled to return to those days. That doesn’t mean I have to fake it when things are lousy.

I don't know what I have to do to get people to believe me when I say that criticism is fine and it doesn't have to be all positive, all the time. I've said it literally every time I've posted in this thread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Old 06-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #24
    bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

This band is kicking major ass right now. Performing great music
    bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #25
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

See you can say Joe balances out Matt but that's not true. This episode he basically just spews negativity and bullies Joe for any positivity and Joe has just become complacent to it. Take the hint others have stated here, your making a product that literally 20 bitter "fans" on here share your opinions with you. No one wants to listen to this crap. Check out that new podcast instead.
    Alpine416 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2019, 06:38 PM   #26
    Cross the ice

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Two positive observations for every negative one. That's the correct ratio to achieve legitimate criticism.
    Cross the ice is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #27
    Matt

My Tour Central Stats

The head of this band just gave anyone criticizing the band the middle finger. He doesn’t care if you enjoy the show or not. And he admitted it. I think any negativity is well earned this go round. But keep on sheepin on.
    Old 06-13-2019, 09:16 PM   #28
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think your last sentence is the money quote here.

I definitely do not think that criticism of something and loving it are mutually exclusive. But like with many things, it's a matter of degree, and I admit I struggle to reconcile the borderline disgust people display for the band, and the time they spend expressing that disgust, with the love they supposedly have for it.

Like, I just don't get spending time/effort/energy on something that doesn't make you happy. In my mind, you either have to accept its flaws and find something good in it, or move on. But obviously not everyone sees it that way.

The easy solution here is for me to simply take my own advice and not listen to the podcast if it doesn't make me happy. So I imagine that's what I'll do.

I mean, to a large degree, many of us are moving on. Do you think Matt, and people who feel like he does (myself included) are still going to 8-12 shows a year like we used to?
    Old 06-13-2019, 09:22 PM   #29
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

My Tour Central Stats

Come Tomorrow better than Sister... Joe, I love ya, but you crazy.
    Old 06-13-2019, 11:21 PM   #30
    Antiramie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The head of this band just gave anyone criticizing the band the middle finger. He doesn’t care if you enjoy the show or not. And he admitted it. I think any negativity is well earned this go round. But keep on sheepin on.
    Dave's POV on the topic isn't anything new, and I do think he said it somewhat tongue in cheek. I don't think it was so much a "fuck you" as much as a "get a life".

I don't judge anyone for being offended though. I just think at this point Dave not giving a shit comes with the territory. Take it or leave it.

For the time being I'll take my chances he doesn't completely mail it in at my one show.

Last edited by Antiramie; 06-13-2019 at 11:25 PM.