Local Musicians - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-11-2018, 07:16 AM   #31
ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Local Musicians

Sounds like he has come a long way, I can't imagine how much fun it would be to play music with a relative! I'll have to check out your social media stuff, currently working on setting all of that up myself and some of it is a pain but it's coming together. Debuting a song I just wrote tonight!
ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-11-2018, 07:38 AM   #32
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I actually just realized you said my cousin is a good dude. Forgot you know him. I read it quick and thought you said, your cousin is good, dude haha. Share it once you get everything set up! How long have you been doing the solo stuff? I'm so psyched to finally have a band. I was doing the solo stuff for about 15 years and holy smokes was that boring haha. I also was never good with the marketing/booking side of things, which makes it even harder as a solo act. I had a pretty busy run between 08-11, but things slowed down considerably once I got engaged/married.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2018, 08:05 AM   #33
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    I actually just realized you said my cousin is a good dude. Forgot you know him. I read it quick and thought you said, your cousin is good, dude haha. Share it once you get everything set up! How long have you been doing the solo stuff? I'm so psyched to finally have a band. I was doing the solo stuff for about 15 years and holy smokes was that boring haha. I also was never good with the marketing/booking side of things, which makes it even harder as a solo act. I had a pretty busy run between 08-11, but things slowed down considerably once I got engaged/married.

Haha all good, Mike is a good dude and is good, dude! So I grew up playing saxophone and played alto / tenor until college, ended up going away from sax and started playing guitar in 2007, loved learning the instrument and then eventually started having an interest in trying to sing over what I was playing. Around 2012 started taking vocal lessons and am now 5 years into working on vocals, currently through a music school and teacher from Berklee. Have been working on songs that will end up being part of a setlist for solo acoustic gigs and testing them out at open mics, will be starting actual paid gigs in the spring! I actually don't have a goal of having a band but I absolutely want to go back and forth between solo acoustic and an acoustic duo, one of my friends is pretty talented ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njpw6sg-ysA

It's all pretty exciting right now because while I've played open mics forever it's starting to turn into more of a professional thing, a lot to look forward to. I saw your band's post for next Friday on FB, not sure what the night looks like yet but I'll let you know!

Last edited by ToySoldier#34; 01-11-2018 at 08:08 AM.
    Old 01-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #34
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Damn dude, that's sick! And damn, we've been looking for a sax player! Specifically someone that can play alto and tenor (bari/soprano being an added bonus).
    Old 01-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #35
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Damn dude, that's sick! And damn, we've been looking for a sax player! Specifically someone that can play alto and tenor (bari/soprano being an added bonus).

Thanks! I haven't played in 15 years so can't help you myself, but I absolutely have a contact that could help get you in touch with sax players if interested.
    Old 01-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #36
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

I assumed that much, hence "damn!" haha. That would be awesome. PM me when you get a chance, as we would really love to take the load of Mike's shoulders and beef up our sound. Bear in mind we are Providence based, so I don't know if everyone would have the same commitment Mike does to drive an hour each way once a week for practice. Thanks again!
    Old 01-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #37
    blumathu

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hey All!

I've been a musician for years and after a few year hiatus and a recent move to Providence, I'm back at it. I've always regretted not pursuing a career in music, and with my wife recently completing grad school and my recent unhappiness in my job, I've decided that at 35 it's not too late and want to begin the pursuit again. I'm still debating going back to school, and if so what I'll go back for. Either education or audio production. In the meantime I'm working on writing more, practicing more, recording more and performing again. It's not easy, especially when you move to an already active music scene and don't know anyone, and you're working a day job. But I've been meeting some great people at the local open mics around me and trying to support the local acts around town when they have shows. I know there's a musician forum, but let's face it, maybe 5 people check that section once a month. I see threads for new bands to check out and new albums to listen to, so I thought it would be cool for the other active musicians on the site to share what we "local musicians" have been working on and maybe gain a little exposure. I hope this thread is alright here in nDMBc and if not, my apologies. It's not my intention to grovel for new listeners, but just a chance to support some local talent that haven't "made it big" and are looking to get feedback on what's sounding good and maybe what we can work on.

Looking forward to hearing some of your music and maybe some of the music from your area. This is not a thread solely for music acts. If there's a local band in your area you want to share, please do!

Here are the links to my SoundCloud, YouTube and Facebook pages I hope you enjoy, and I'm always open to feedback.

www.soundcloud.com/kevinhoranmusic
    www.youtube.com/kevinth5
    www.facebook.com/kevinhoranmusic

Here are a couple links to some local Providence bands I've been into lately:

Viking Jesus
    https://www.reverbnation.com/vikingjesus

Consuelo's Revenge
    https://consuelosrevenge.bandcamp.com
    Hey man, I really dig your stuff, especially Making Waves. Has anyone ever told you that your voice sounds like the lead singer from Kinds of Leon? And I can definitely hear the DMB influence as well.

I have some stuff out through CDBaby, and they've posted it all on youtube. Here are a couple examples:

Soldier:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzsNvcIDP9Y

Don't Run Away
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugy7XUKfFg4
    blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #38
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I assumed that much, hence "damn!" haha. That would be awesome. PM me when you get a chance, as we would really love to take the load of Mike's shoulders and beef up our sound. Bear in mind we are Providence based, so I don't know if everyone would have the same commitment Mike does to drive an hour each way once a week for practice. Thanks again!

Oops completely forgot to PM you, will do so now
    Old 01-17-2018, 06:57 AM   #39
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

The ToySoldier and KevinTH thread continues!

Thought some may appreciate a little DMB. This is our second attempt at Two Step from last night's rehearsal for our show on Friday. If anyone's in the area, come check us out at The Peddler's Daughter in Nashua, NH at 9:30!

https://youtu.be/OMJBx2rOCLA
    Old 01-17-2018, 07:05 AM   #40
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Sounds really good, Kev
    Old 01-17-2018, 07:28 AM   #41
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks dude!
    Old 01-17-2018, 08:17 AM   #42
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Kev - I'm likely going to be there on Friday it looks like, I'm playing in Salem and then will be over with my GF
    Old 01-17-2018, 08:25 AM   #43
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

That's awesome! Thanks for making the effort. Salem, NH? Just so you know it's the one in NH, not Haverhill.

48 Main St
    Nashua, NH 03064
    Old 01-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #44
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

I went, I saw, they conquered ... KevinTH has got game!
    Old 01-24-2018, 11:08 AM   #45
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

HAHA! Thanks dude! Glad you made it out, and sorry I never got a chance to hop of the stage to say hello. Next time!
    Old 06-19-2018, 07:44 AM   #46
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Hey All! I've been working on a lot of my originals lately as well as getting the band a little bit more exposure. A couple weeks ago I played in my wife's cousin's wedding ceremony up in Lisbon, NH, and it was held in a beautifully renovated barn. I went to set up around 10 AM, and since my wife was in the wedding I chose to spend the morning and afternoon playing in the barn. The acoustics were too good. I took video of the short performance I did and created a playlist on my YouTube page if interested.

https://www.youtube.com/user/KevinTH5/playlists

The band will be back up at Peddler's Daughter in Nashua, NH 8/18, and we will be playing our first full band original set at The Parlour in Providence, RI on Sunday 8/12. Really looking forward to the original show, as that is the direction I'd like to head in. hope you enjoy the "Barn Sessions"!
    Old 06-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #47
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Hey, I will definitely check out all the music posted here in the near future. I’m so glad there’s a thread like this here on Ants. I’ve always sang in cover bands, but around 5 years ago we all decided to take a crack at writing our own tunes. It’s been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. We’re called Quarter Horse and are from Long Island. I Would love for you guys and girls to check out our stuff.

Our debut self titled album from 2016: https://open.spotify.com/artist/28zE...Twqr1PGHKJ_bCQ

Our website: www.quarterhorseband.com

PSN: Max_Power--
    maxpower00044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #48
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hey All! I've been working on a lot of my originals lately as well as getting the band a little bit more exposure. A couple weeks ago I played in my wife's cousin's wedding ceremony up in Lisbon, NH, and it was held in a beautifully renovated barn. I went to set up around 10 AM, and since my wife was in the wedding I chose to spend the morning and afternoon playing in the barn. The acoustics were too good. I took video of the short performance I did and created a playlist on my YouTube page if interested.

https://www.youtube.com/user/KevinTH5/playlists

The band will be back up at Peddler's Daughter in Nashua, NH 8/18, and we will be playing our first full band original set at The Parlour in Providence, RI on Sunday 8/12. Really looking forward to the original show, as that is the direction I'd like to head in. hope you enjoy the "Barn Sessions"!
    Hey, dig your stuff, Dude. Barns are fun as hell to play in. We held our album release party in one. Keep it up!

Old 06-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #49
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HeyBrother View Post
    Nice tunes man. I'm a songwriter too, released an EP two years ago and just finished recording my first full length record. Took about 14 months to record (between work, grad school, etc.), and I'm just about to start the mixing process with Matt Boynton who mixed Kurt Vile's "Wakin'" and "Smoke Ring," so I'm pretty stoked on that. Definitely trying to make a go of it in the NYC music scene. Just formed a band and we're going to start playing gigs next month. It really is crucial to just meet people in the local music community, never know who you'll come into contact with. Happy playing.

Music: http://www.shanetullymusic.bandcamp.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/shanetullymusic
    I know I’m a little late to quote this post, but I’m digging this a lot. Good stuff!

Old 06-19-2018, 03:32 PM   #50
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxpower00044 View Post
    Hey, dig your stuff, Dude. Barns are fun as hell to play in. We held our album release party in one. Keep it up!
    Thanks dude. Your stuff is great so far. Didn’t get to spend too much time with it, but I love that roots sound. Nice looking website and a pretty nice looking gig list. Hoping to get to that down the line. It’s harder when you’re older and so are your band mates. But I’m going to keep on trying!
    Old 06-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #51
    maxpower00044
    You mustn't touch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks dude. Your stuff is great so far. Didn’t get to spend too much time with it, but I love that roots sound. Nice looking website and a pretty nice looking gig list. Hoping to get to that down the line. It’s harder when you’re older and so are your band mates. But I’m going to keep on trying!
    Yeah, we started the original thing late, too. We’re all in our mid to late 30s. All we can do is try, right? Gotta chase that dream! I appreciate the support, man! This is a great thread.

Edit: And we both have Batman avatars. Sick!

Last edited by maxpower00044; 06-19-2018 at 03:59 PM.
    Old 06-20-2018, 05:19 AM   #52
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

A new age of successful musicians that start in their 30s! It could happen, right? The latch-key generation decided working in offices blows.
    Old 06-20-2018, 05:48 AM   #53
    kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    A new age of successful musicians that start in their 30s! It could happen, right? The latch-key generation decided working in offices blows.
    Hey its what happened with Matt Berninger of the National.

Berninger quit a career in advertising in his thirties to start The National. He told The Telegraph: “I was doing well [in advertising]. But, once I entertained the thought that maybe I wouldn’t ever have to go and sit in conference rooms with Mastercard to discuss web ads again, I couldn’t shake it
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-20-2018, 08:18 AM   #54
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

That's pretty cool. I think about it, but with a wife, possible kids in the future, saving to buy a house...makes it a lot harder at almost 37.
    Old 08-08-2018, 06:49 AM   #55
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Hey All! My band, The Stone Road Band, is releasing our first single tomorrow to coincide with our website launch and upcoming show of all originals on Sunday night. If interested, check back tomorrow when our website launches. Unfortunately I don't think it will be available to Spotify and iTunes yet as planned, but it will be available on our website, SoundCloud and YouTube until then.

www.thestoneroadband.com
    Old 08-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #56
    douglaskg41
    All the bacon and eggs

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I miss my band. Over the last year we've all had so much going on in our personal lives between new jobs, new houses, new kids... it's been really hard for us to find time and get our groove back. I'm thankful however to still be playing acoustic at an open mic I run. You'll see us playing outside Darkness Brewing in one of the videos below and that opened up a friendship with their owner, who happens to be a great musician himself. He started the open mic night and eventually asked me to take over. We've had such great talent coming in on a weekly basis that we're talking about doing a showcase on a Saturday night. I get to play my originals and whatever covers I cook up. I'm the chubby fella singing and playing rhythm. Thanks for watching.

https://www.facebook.com/BowsAndArro...5985952780217/

https://www.facebook.com/BowsAndArro...0746617970817/
    DMB 2018 - Riverbend (Show #36).

Squishy Break:
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6Ygp...pP0I/giphy.gif
    douglaskg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #57
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hey All! My band, The Stone Road Band, is releasing our first single tomorrow to coincide with our website launch and upcoming show of all originals on Sunday night. If interested, check back tomorrow when our website launches. Unfortunately I don't think it will be available to Spotify and iTunes yet as planned, but it will be available on our website, SoundCloud and YouTube until then.

www.thestoneroadband.com

Awesome!

I'm sending you an email in about an hour, some recent gig stuff to check out if interested
    Old 08-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #58
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Hey all - if interested, our band’s site went live today and our first single can be heard on the site for free and purchased through the site, iTunes, Amazon, Google Play and tidal and will be making its way to streaming sites soon.

www.thestoneroadband.com
    Old 08-14-2018, 05:43 AM   #59
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Sunday ended up being a really great night for us and if anyone is interested in checking out our set you can find it here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...gKvEQZELsskszB

The person that took the video takes video for a lot of bands around town and is really good with an iPhone. It's actually very watchable the way she takes shots and closeups.

We are also on Spotify and the major streaming sites as of last week!
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/2aEm...TqysKWJlLLkucg
    Old 11-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #60
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Hi All! My band just released its second single, "Friend of the Fire" for purchase on our website, ( www.thestoneroadband.com ), iTunes, and it's streaming on Spotify, Amazon, Google Play and all other streaming services.

YouTube Lyric Video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeGRDopEVps

Spotify Link
    https://open.spotify.com/track/6LQ3M...TGCl8vEfxlqqqA

I hope you'll check it out and enjoy! Thanks!