*Prompter Thread* (NO personal attacks, NO trolling) - Page 2243 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #67261
scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ** The Trump Thread SAFE SPACE ** (NO Personal Attacks; NO Trolling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthawk07 View Post
It’s circular. It’s like a carousel. You pay the quarter, you get on the horse. It goes up and down, and around. Circular. Circle. With the music, the flow, all good things.
I put a quarter in, I won a car. I put a quarter in, I won a car. I put a quarter in, I won a car. I put a quarter in, I won a car.
scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-23-2018, 06:41 PM   #67262
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    I put a quarter in, I won a car. I put a quarter in, I won a car. I put a quarter in, I won a car. I put a quarter in, I won a car.
    thats enough, rus
    Old 01-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #67263
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    Yeah, my "hot take" would be if it's successful in getting people off drugs, it will be popular/successful. If it just turns out a place to shoot up with medical attention (wash, rinse, repeat), it probably will lose popularity fast.

The sad thing about drug addicts is that all the programming in the world won't help them until they're ready for the help. It's such a tough thing to apply a massive policy to, imo.

People can't get help if they die though. This will keep some people from dying, and thus giving them more time to decide they want help, for their friends/family to convince them they need help, or if they already want help but are on one of the long waiting lists for the limited amount of treatment facilities, it could keep them alive until they can get in.

Also, I think it would lighten the load on EMT's/other first responders. If someone OD's in these places, with people already on staff to help them, that's one less ambulance/police car that has to go out with Narcan to bring them back.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 01-23-2018 at 06:46 PM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2018, 06:44 PM   #67264
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    People can't get help if they die though. This will keep some people from dying, and thus giving them more time to decide they want help, or if they already want help but are on one of the long waiting lists for the limited amount of treatment facilities, it could keep them alive until they can get in.
    If they die anyways, then you're just wasting money avoiding the inevitable.

Hell, even patients in legit hospitals for legit reasons have treatments stopped because, well, you know.

Harsh realities, bro.

Edit: That's why I think the results of this will be important, especially for getting people off opiods.
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #67265
    mrignatious

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Hell, even patients in legit hospitals for legit reasons have treatments stopped because, well, you know.

Harsh realities, bro.

Edit: That's why I think the results of this will be important, especially for getting people off opiods.
    That comparison really isn't apt imo
    mrignatious is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2018, 06:57 PM   #67266
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Harsh realities, bro.

Sure, but we don't shut down hospitals because of that. We keep treating the people that we can.
    Old 01-23-2018, 07:01 PM   #67267
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrignatious View Post
    That comparison really isn't apt imo
    Quote:
    Sure, but we don't shut down hospitals because of that. We keep treating the people that we can.
    Agreed it's not 1-1 but most people in hospitals are actively trying to get better.

Again, there just isn't a lot of sympathy out there for people shooting heroin into their arms given how terrible we know heroin is.

And, I understand that this may start from prescription drugs. I really do. That said, it really shouldn't matter. I used to love doing ex and coke. I just stopped. I didn't swap out heroin because it was cheaper. I went through the shitty, shitty path of detox.
    Old 01-23-2018, 07:05 PM   #67268
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Agreed it's not 1-1 but most people in hospitals are actively trying to get better.

Again, there just isn't a lot of sympathy out there for people shooting heroin into their arms given how terrible we know heroin is.

And, I understand that this may start from prescription drugs. I really do. That said, it really shouldn't matter. I used to love doing ex and coke. I just stopped. I didn't swap out heroin because it was cheaper. I went through the shitty, shitty path of detox.
    That's awesome, it truly is.

However not many people have the will power or the strength that you possessed to do such a thing.

There is no definitive right way to go about this mess, but its worth a shot (which I think is what you were saying, if I read correctly)

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...stcount=126148
    JRS1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2018, 07:11 PM   #67269
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'd argue that people who are going to these safe sites are as well.

Quote:
    I get that, but I think that's part of the problem and why we've gone the criminal route instead of the treatment route. That route obviously isn't working. The more steps we take toward treating this epidemic as a medical issue, the better. IMO.

Quote:
    We know how terrible smoking is. We still treat smokers who get lung cancer.
    Old 01-23-2018, 07:14 PM   #67270
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    That's awesome, it truly is.

However not many people have the will power or the strength that you possessed to do such a thing.

There is no definitive right way to go about this mess, but its worth a shot (which I think is what you were saying, if I read correctly)
    Yeah, like I said, if the program isn't just prolonging the inevitable and is successful in getting people off, I think it will be popular/successful.

I just question how popular it will be if it's expensive and doesn't move the needle in terms of getting people off drugs.

Again though, I'm withholding judgement and I appreciate the idea that this isn't a huge federal initiative. If a city or state wants to take it on and see if they can pave the way, so to speak, great. Let's see what happens and then we'll have some data on the best path to move forward.
    Old 01-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #67271
    mrignatious

My Tour Central Stats

I guess from my perspective the only valid argument against the clinics as proposed would be that either 1) maintaining the status quo would do a better job of solving the issue, or 2) there exists an alternative plan that would do a better job of solving the issue.
    Old 01-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #67272
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    We know how terrible smoking is. We still treat smokers who get lung cancer.
    Not by letting them light up cigs in the hospital!!

I'm not saying not to treat these people. The question is whether to allow someone addicted to a drug to have a safe space to continue that habit.

I bet you support for smokers with cancer would decrease rapidly if part of their "treatment" was to allow them a safe space to continue the habit that's killing them.

Last edited by rconverse; 01-23-2018 at 07:17 PM.
    Old 01-23-2018, 07:16 PM   #67273
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Even if it doesn't move the needle as much as we'd like in terms of getting people off drugs, it has proven to be very effective in reducing the spread of Hepatitis and HIV, which is good for the community as a whole. It also moves some of that usage off the street, and the dangerous litter that goes with it.

There are public goods to these facilities beyond just those that it can get into treatment.
    Old 01-23-2018, 07:25 PM   #67274
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Even if it doesn't move the needle as much as we'd like in terms of getting people off drugs, it has proven to be very effective in reducing the spread of Hepatitis and HIV, which is good for the community as a whole. It also moves some of that usage off the street, and the dangerous litter that goes with it.

There are public goods to these facilities beyond just those that it can get into treatment.
    Now you're confusing needle exchanges with what this is. This is literally having trained people present in case you OD. This isn't just handing out "free" needles so that people can go back to where ever and shoot up.

This is literally creating an "Amsterdam" (The Wire style) for people to shoot up with doctors. Like you go there to shoot up and it's totally okay.

At least that's what I got out of this. Did I read into it too much? Is it just a needle exchange?
    Old 01-23-2018, 07:28 PM   #67275
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Now you're confusing needle exchanges with what this is. This is literally having trained people present in case you OD. This isn't just handing out "free" needles so that people can go back to where ever and shoot up.

This is literally creating an "Amsterdam" (The Wire style) for people to shoot up with doctors. Like you go there to shoot up and it's totally okay.

At least that's what I got out of this. Did I read into it too much? Is it just a needle exchange?

You shoot up there, supervised by a doctor, yes. But they also give you a clean needle to do it with, and then dispose of it once it's used.
    Old 01-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #67276
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    I agree with most of the stuff in your 2nd paragraph, but I feel like merit-based is borderline racist. And if I'm wrong, I'm open to a different explanation.
    Racism was not my intent at all. I simply meant we should be pickier about who we let in. Would it not make more sense to welcome those who would be able to get a job than someone who will snag every taxpayer funded freebie out there and not work?
    Old 01-23-2018, 07:50 PM   #67277
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

https://twitter.com/northmantrader/s...11739345920000

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2018, 07:51 PM   #67278
    thedak

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    I agree with most of the stuff in your 2nd paragraph, but I feel like merit-based is borderline racist. And if I'm wrong, I'm open to a different explanation.

Yes, it would be great to get people with degrees, who speak English, have the ability to obtain a high paying job, etc...but when you're talking about coming to America for a better life for you and your kids, you probably aren't college educated, you probably don't speak multiple languages, and you don't have a great job. If you had all those things, and you don't live in a shit hole country, there's really no reason to come to America
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vaxarado View Post
    Ahhhhh. This bullshit.

Let's talk about this bullshit and the "shithole countries."

Fun fact: 43% of African immigrants have a bachelor's degree (or higher) compared to 33% of U.S. citizens

Fun fact II: Over 60% of Nigerian immigrants specifically hold a bachelor's degree (or higher)
    So which is it ?

Africa not shitholey enough or are they too smart for merit based racism ?

The Left makes my head hurt....
    thedak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #67279
    mrignatious

My Tour Central Stats

It is weird to see that someone has a preconceived notion about immigration but is "open to a different explanation" and then another person arrives with stats that might challenge that preconceived notion. But I'm not sure it's weird enough that your head should hurt.
    Old 01-23-2018, 08:30 PM   #67280
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thedak View Post
    So which is it ?

Africa not shitholey enough or are they too smart for merit based racism ?

The Left makes my head hurt....
    Which is it?? You kidding me?

People are fucking people is the point.

This town is nuts, my kind of place. I don't never ever want to leave....
    Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #67281
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/tra...ng-4-6-n840326

Quote:
    Travel to the U.S. has been on the decline ever since President Donald Trump took office, and new data shows the slump translates to a cost of $4.6 billion in lost spending and 40,000 jobs.

The latest data from the National Travel and Tourism Office shows a 3.3 percent drop in travel spending and a 4 percent decline in inbound travel.

The downturn has also caused America to lose its spot as the world's second-most popular destination for foreign travel, ceding to Spain.
    I wonder if this trend continues and what the total economic cost will be.

Tour 2023: Deer Creek [6/30] [7/01]
    DMBZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2018, 08:37 PM   #67282
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    Quote:
    Either the most educated were not smart enough to know a fraud and pick the winner, or the least educated are more in touch with the entire country's feelings.
    This. 8
    Old 01-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #67283
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrignatious View Post
    It is weird to see that someone has a preconceived notion about immigration but is "open to a different explanation" and then another person arrives with stats that might challenge that preconceived notion. But I'm not sure it's weird enough that your head should hurt.
    You can replace immigration with basically any issue and you're still talking about arguing politics on the internet in 2018.

"These facts are correct."
    "Ha! You believe that? This is the only correct position. Your narrative is false."
    "YOUR narrative is false. My facts are superior."

Lather, rinse, repeat.
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-24-2018, 12:46 AM   #67284
    OK_Ant
    Custom User Title

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

I found this fascinating and sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuR7CqPwqB4
    OK_Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-24-2018, 04:39 AM   #67285
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    Yeah but see the smart people in the dumb states voted for trump whereas the dumb people in the smart states voted for Clinton.

So this actually proves how my preconceived notions are right no matter what.
    cazzie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-24-2018, 05:13 AM   #67286
    CrashDMB237

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This. 8
    Or dumb people are dumb and believed blatant lies from a habitual liar while ignoring how shitty of a person he is. Either way.
    CrashDMB237 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-24-2018, 05:25 AM   #67287
    thedak

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrashDMB237 View Post
    Or dumb people are dumb and believed blatant lies from a habitual liar while ignoring how shitty of a person she is. Either way.

Yep

thedak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-24-2018, 05:27 AM   #67288
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

How could the argument be made that the least educated be in touch with the ENTIRE (meaning everyone) country when Hillary got more votes?
    Old 01-24-2018, 05:39 AM   #67289
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

My Tour Central Stats

Here's a good thread on Janet Yellen who none of the republicans wanted leading the Fed.

https://twitter.com/sam_a_bell/statu...21187514847242

"And what did she get for it? Withering criticism for 4 years. And then when her work was done -- when she achieved the holy grail (4% unemployment, 2% inflation) she was kicked to the curb. 1st time a Fed Chair completed a 1st term and wasn't renominated in modern Fed history."
    Old 01-24-2018, 05:40 AM   #67290
    CrashDMB237

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    How could the argument be made that the least educated be in touch with the ENTIRE (meaning everyone) country when Hillary got more votes?
    I think you’re digging way too deep here. It’s not an analysis of the election and a theory on why Trump won, it’s just confirmation of what we already knew.
    CrashDMB237 is offline   Reply With Quote