Too early for flapjacks? - Page 6 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-14-2007, 06:11 PM   #151
trippinchad
Nothing But Beard

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Too early for flapjacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestand View Post
Many would be right.

#NATITUDE
trippinchad is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #152
    JTRocks

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I never really liked the song either, but I can see them turning it into something better somewhere down the road
    JTRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #153
    trippinchad
    Nothing But Beard

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JTRocks View Post
    I never really liked the song either, but I can see them turning it into something better somewhere down the road
    yea, some people did enjoy it still, but I never got into it

#NATITUDE
    Old 02-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #154
    CapnHani06
    JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

about that time of the year...

maybe time for a sub-forum jump? eh?

edit: also, i'm surpised at how much i still agree with this, except for "break free", "kill the king", and "hello again"
    - Sean

Last edited by CapnHani06; 02-26-2008 at 09:54 AM.
    CapnHani06 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #155
    Bartender1717
    I love winn-dixie

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

OK what are we talking about?
    7-6-04, 7-10-05, 12-15-05, 7-7-06+7-8-06(Live Trax Fenway), 7-27-06, 8-6-06, 4-22-07(Dave&Tim Radio City), 8-1-07, 8-2-07, 8-4-07, 8-5-07, 8-7-07, 11-13-07, 6-13-08, 6-14-08, 6-24-08, 6-25-08, 7-11-08, 7-12-08, 5-29-09, 5-30-09, 6-4-10, 6-5-10, 6-7-10, 6-8-10, 07-13-10, 11-9-10, 11-10-10, 6-5-12, 6-15-13, 6-7-14
    Bartender1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #156
    CapnHani06
    JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bartender1717 View Post
    OK what are we talking about?
    haha...your guess is as good as mine.

i'll give you a topic: grape nuts...they're neither grapes nor nuts. discuss.
    - Sean
    Old 02-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #157
    scajfk926

Location: Bloomsburg, PA (halfway between Scranton and Hershey)

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

To the OP:

Great first post. Horrible analogy.
    scajfk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #158
    CapnHani06
    JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scajfk926 View Post
    To the OP:

Great first post. Horrible analogy.
    thanks! but which analogy are you talking about?
    - Sean
    Old 02-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #159
    trippinchad
    Nothing But Beard

My Tour Central Stats

God that album would be awesome...

#NATITUDE
    Old 02-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #160
    dmbfan101

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CapnHani06 View Post
    thanks! but which analogy are you talking about?
    maybe the "flapjacks" subject line!?

genius movie quote tho
    Old 02-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #161
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Alright, to preface this thread, the speculations about what will or will not make the new album are about as useful now as driving your car into a lake to check your email. That being said, in my infinite boredom at work I decided to put together a painfully-tentative track listing for what should be DMB's strongest and most epic album since BTCS, and any constructive/destructive criticism is gratefully welcome.

1. Crazy-Easy - would be a great opener, and could easily adapt itself to be a brilliant studio favorite.
    2. Kill the King - sans organ, add Butch on keys in the chorus, cleaned up and Track 2 to stand as the opening energetic hook to the album.
    3. REVAMPED Hello Again - would include "She was my..." intro, and would be much closer to the live version we all know and love...I still consider this tune unreleased, as what "Stand Up" had to offer was not the same song.
    4. Idea of You - another potential single, and would fit well in the first half of the album.
    Hidden Bonus Segue: CAN'T STOP clip - should not be a full song, as it is not and should not be, but could be very cool leading into...
    5. REVAMPED Joyride - Awesome tune, much better live, maybe could somehow capture that live experience in the studio (screw the previous B-Side).
    Hidden Bonus Segue: clip from revamped DOOBIE THING. Please?
    6. SUGAR WILL - (w/ TREY) perfect mid-set epic, tightened up and fit into perhaps a 7-8 minute window.
    7. Break Free - would like to have a different...intro...as well as...verse...but chorus is amazing, and would be a pretty cool way to kick off the second half.
    8. NEW SONG inspired by an older tune, ala "Prelude to Grace" or "Crazy".
    Hidden Bonus Segue: perhaps an instrumental clip from "Loving Wings"?
    9. NEW SONG...period. Tough to tell now, but necessary and hopefully something thought-provoking yet upbeat...that's all I got.
    10. NEW SONG - Something from the current studio sessions...got nothin'.
    11. GOOD GOOD TIME - (w/Tim on lead) could be brilliant...good, upbeat near-closer, and with TIM back would be enough to satisfy die-hards.
    Hidden Bonus Segue: Instrumental Shotgun Intro - satisfies the instrumental advocates, sets apart a beautiful piece of music.
    12. Epic, EPIC SHOTGUN - The new Bartender...will just be incredible, just wait and see.
    And just for kicks...Hidden Bonus Track: #40 tease, ala "Last Stop Reprise"

Perhaps a few more segues, and a little more variation...any thoughts?
    Love the effort and the idea. It's a shame very little of this actually has a chance of happening.

-- In the latest podcast--or thread about the podcast, I'm not sure which-- the guys pretty much made it clear that the 2004 songs are going to stay there. So no Crazy-Easy, Good Good Time (which really bums me out), Sugar Will (thank God), or Joyride.

-- I'm certainly not an expert nor can I see into the future, but I'd be willing to bet the mortgage that we'll never see a reworked Hello Again or JoyRide. Hello Again was on the last studio album; why on earth would they record it again? And JoyRide was a mastered B-side...it didn't make the album for a reason. Same thinking applies to JTR and SUAD. They both landed on the Lillywhite Sessions and didn't get re-recorded for a reason.

-- I think Idea of You, Shotgun, Break Free, and (unfortunately) Cant Stop have a pretty good shot of making the album. We know Dave likes IOY, the band knows fans love Shotgun, Can't Stop (for whatever reason) still gets played, and Break Free has potential.

-- Speaking of potential, Kill the King has none. Six and out doesn't bode well for future album prospects. Still, at least it can say it survived six times as long as Falling Off The Roof, which apparently broke its neck on the way down and was unable to be resusitated.

-- Just curious how come you didn't include A Dream So Real? I certainly don't care for the song, but it's a very new-DMB style tune that made it all the way through the summer tour and gained a lot of traction with fans.

Again, these aren't criticisms, and I really like the thought you put into this, especially with the hidden tracks and transitions. That's probably the only way we'll see #40 on an album..as a bridge or short little jam. Shame.

I personally would like to see about 60 percent of the album consist of songs we've never heard before, or ones that have been so completely reworked we barely recognize the original. There's nothing wrong with a lot of these tunes remaining exclusive to concerts--it makes the tour season that much more exciting, and bumps up interest in Live Trax, which should appeal to DMB management.

And I'm spent.
    Beebz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #162
    bphlzl
    busted stuff fan

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbianca1982 View Post
    Love the effort and the idea. It's a shame very little of this actually has a chance of happening.

-- In the latest podcast--or thread about the podcast, I'm not sure which-- the guys pretty much made it clear that the 2004 songs are going to stay there. So no Crazy-Easy, Good Good Time (which really bums me out), Sugar Will (thank God), or Joyride.

-- I'm certainly not an expert nor can I see into the future, but I'd be willing to bet the mortgage that we'll never see a reworked Hello Again or JoyRide. Hello Again was on the last studio album; why on earth would they record it again? And JoyRide was a mastered B-side...it didn't make the album for a reason. Same thinking applies to JTR and SUAD. They both landed on the Lillywhite Sessions and didn't get re-recorded for a reason.

-- I think Idea of You, Shotgun, Break Free, and (unfortunately) Cant Stop have a pretty good shot of making the album. We know Dave likes IOY, the band knows fans love Shotgun, Can't Stop (for whatever reason) still gets played, and Break Free has potential.

-- Speaking of potential, Kill the King has none. Six and out doesn't bode well for future album prospects. Still, at least it can say it survived six times as long as Falling Off The Roof, which apparently broke its neck on the way down and was unable to be resusitated.

-- Just curious how come you didn't include A Dream So Real? I certainly don't care for the song, but it's a very new-DMB style tune that made it all the way through the summer tour and gained a lot of traction with fans.

Again, these aren't criticisms, and I really like the thought you put into this, especially with the hidden tracks and transitions. That's probably the only way we'll see #40 on an album..as a bridge or short little jam. Shame.

I personally would like to see about 60 percent of the album consist of songs we've never heard before, or ones that have been so completely reworked we barely recognize the original. There's nothing wrong with a lot of these tunes remaining exclusive to concerts--it makes the tour season that much more exciting, and bumps up interest in Live Trax, which should appeal to DMB management.

And I'm spent.
    This was created in 06...

"LeRoi Moore on the saxaphone - I know you know..."
    bphlzl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-27-2008, 08:24 AM   #163
    CapnHani06
    JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbfan101 View Post
    maybe the "flapjacks" subject line!?

genius movie quote tho
    ahh, thanks
    - Sean
    Old 02-27-2008, 08:26 AM   #164
    CapnHani06
    JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbianca1982 View Post

And I'm spent.
    thanks, man, i appreciate the criticism...but as posted above, this was created alsmot two years ago, i only brought it back because i still feel that it applies (hold the subtraction of a few more dated songs and the addition of songs not-yet-written)
    - Sean
    Old 02-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #165
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

haha, oh man am I an ass. Why isn't A Dream So Real on there? Yeah, I wonder why. hahahahaha
    Beebz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #166
    CapnHani06
    JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

My Tour Central Stats

It's absurd that this pipe dream is still relevant SIX years down the road. Six whole years ago I created this thread, and more than half of these ideas are still applicable to the forthcoming record. So it goes...
    - Sean
    Old 02-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #167
    coolhotwaves
    is classic

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

and in six years you will be able to say the same.
    coolhotwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #168
    camptravisr
    Numbered Beats

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolhotwaves View Post

camptravisr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #169
    Hartford

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

i love this post but i feel that expecting those kind of songs weve already seen wont get put on a new album, because if the band has had plenty of chances to, there was similar expectations for songs to be put on Big Whiskey, but then we saw all new stuff (minus a couple bonus tracks)

just my opinion though
    Old 02-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #170
    Dmbseattle310

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Kill the King to kick it off and Shotgun to finish. I like your thinking OP, glad you bumped this.
    Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #171
    CapnHani06
    JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    STILL RELEVANT. DMB, you're killin me. 8 Years! Christ on a bicycle.

- Sean
    Old 01-23-2018, 12:03 AM   #172
    CapnHani06
    JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    LITERALLY SIX YEARS LATER and this embarrassing, confusingly-written but well-intentioned OP is STILL relevant. Not one of these goddam songs has survived a studio session and half of them are still being speculated in 2018. Unreal.
    - Sean
    Old 01-23-2018, 06:24 AM   #173
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    LITERALLY SIX YEARS LATER and this embarrassing, confusingly-written but well-intentioned OP is STILL relevant. Not one of these goddam songs has survived a studio session and half of them are still being speculated in 2018. Unreal.
    Given the literal definition of "year" is 365.2422 days or 12 calendar months or the time taken for the Earth to orbit the sun...you should have waited 27 days before making this post.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:59 AM   #174
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quoting the OP for ya'll's convenience. Good stuff!

Quote:
    Alright, to preface this thread, the speculations about what will or will not make the new album are about as useful now as driving your car into a lake to check your email. That being said, in my infinite boredom at work I decided to put together a painfully-tentative track listing for what should be DMB's strongest and most epic album since BTCS, and any constructive/destructive criticism is gratefully welcome.

1. Crazy-Easy - would be a great opener, and could easily adapt itself to be a brilliant studio favorite.
    2. Kill the King - sans organ, add Butch on keys in the chorus, cleaned up and Track 2 to stand as the opening energetic hook to the album.
    3. REVAMPED Hello Again - would include "She was my..." intro, and would be much closer to the live version we all know and love...I still consider this tune unreleased, as what "Stand Up" had to offer was not the same song.
    4. Idea of You - another potential single, and would fit well in the first half of the album.
    Hidden Bonus Segue: CAN'T STOP clip - should not be a full song, as it is not and should not be, but could be very cool leading into...
    5. REVAMPED Joyride - Awesome tune, much better live, maybe could somehow capture that live experience in the studio (screw the previous B-Side).
    Hidden Bonus Segue: clip from revamped DOOBIE THING. Please?
    6. SUGAR WILL - (w/ TREY) perfect mid-set epic, tightened up and fit into perhaps a 7-8 minute window.
    7. Break Free - would like to have a different...intro...as well as...verse...but chorus is amazing, and would be a pretty cool way to kick off the second half.
    8. NEW SONG inspired by an older tune, ala "Prelude to Grace" or "Crazy".
    Hidden Bonus Segue: perhaps an instrumental clip from "Loving Wings"?
    9. NEW SONG...period. Tough to tell now, but necessary and hopefully something thought-provoking yet upbeat...that's all I got.
    10. NEW SONG - Something from the current studio sessions...got nothin'.
    11. GOOD GOOD TIME - (w/Tim on lead) could be brilliant...good, upbeat near-closer, and with TIM back would be enough to satisfy die-hards.
    Hidden Bonus Segue: Instrumental Shotgun Intro - satisfies the instrumental advocates, sets apart a beautiful piece of music.
    12. Epic, EPIC SHOTGUN - The new Bartender...will just be incredible, just wait and see.
    And just for kicks...Hidden Bonus Track: #40 tease, ala "Last Stop Reprise"

Perhaps a few more segues, and a little more variation...any thoughts?
    Old 01-23-2018, 08:38 AM   #175
    chach1369
    Bluto

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Hello Again was released in a more complete, better form on the Stand Up promo disc. That version clocks in at 6:12, versus the album cut at 3:56. It's a MUCH more satisfying version...I can't believe they picked the shorter cut for the official release.
    chach1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #176
    GruvnDMBRiddims

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Do you even music bro?

Delusion of grandeur. This album will never happen... go make a mix cd with some IEMs of those 'lost songs' and fill in "New Song" on your tracklist with a recent tune or a different band 'sounding like dmb' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cfTibx4DyU).
    You can always use these as your segue/commercial fillers:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCvAktZD5MU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVAoxRW6XcU
    Old 01-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #177
    CapnHani06
    JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GruvnDMBRiddims View Post
    Do you even music bro?

Delusion of grandeur. This album will never happen... go make a mix cd with some IEMs of those 'lost songs' and fill in "New Song" on your tracklist with a recent tune or a different band 'sounding like dmb' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cfTibx4DyU).
    You can always use these as your segue/commercial fillers:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCvAktZD5MU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVAoxRW6XcU

Would you lay off my 2006 self a little?

Sure I was a little misguided back then but my heart was in the right place. I wasn't expecting this album ever to be made even back then, I just think of this stupid OP every time I hear they're in the studio or there's a record announcement because so many of the tracks that I was dreaming about are still being discussed as possibilities.
    - Sean
    Old 01-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #178
    CapnHani06
    JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Given the literal definition of "year" is 365.2422 days or 12 calendar months or the time taken for the Earth to orbit the sun...you should have waited 27 days before making this post.

Ha, this is great. I guess my 3am self got a little impatient...a well-timed joke is the only reason why I should have ever brought this thread out of retirement.
    - Sean
    Old 01-24-2018, 06:02 AM   #179
    #41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

thank you for maintaining standards around here
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote