Advice on buying a home. - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #91
eric81485

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Advice on buying a home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Night View Post
Paying rent means you're making someone else's mortgage payment, so why not pay your own?

the difference between out rent and mortgage is $150 per month.
Next time DMB plays Warehouse, instead of the "Woooos", maybe all should chant "Hey Zeus"
eric81485 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #92
    CRLocky

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

If you're 22, DON'T DO IT! I bought a house at 22 and though I did feel that I was making an "investment" and achieving something that not many my age do, I still wish I hadn't. At least ponder the following:

The only thing I bought when I bought this house was experience and authority. Experience in buying a house and the authority to declare who rents, lives, and visits. However, I don't own it outright, I did go in on it with a roommate. Which is actually the biggest mistake because I really wish I hadn't.

As much as renting really feels like you're setting money on fire, you're actually sacrificing those dollar bills for freedom and liberty. You can get up and leave practically whenever. Get a house/mortgage, and you've got yourself a solid anchor of responsibility.

Think long and hard about your future before you make that kind of decision. Three, five, ten years down the road, where do you want to be?

Last edited by CRLocky; 07-23-2010 at 02:40 PM.
    CRLocky is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #93
    DrinkNoH2O
    I drink & I know things

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Paying rent means you're making someone else's mortgage payment, so why not pay your own?
    For the reasons I just described. Search online - there are plenty of articles on financial sites that will spell this out. In many cases (I never said all) at the moment you'll be saving money renting plus there's much more flexibility and a lot less hassle.

Sorry, not trying to stir the pot, but I think a lot of people have grown up their whole life listening to their parents about "flushing your money down the toilet" in paying rent and how you must buy a home - but frankly a lot of that info is outdated.

My recommendation to anyone buying a home would be to seriously research their market and crunch some serious numbers. You might be very surprised.

As for our 22 year old wanting to buy a condo in Seattle, I can almost guarantee that that is a depreciating asset and it would be cheaper to continue renting - especially considering he's likely to not stay there more than a few years.
    Old 07-23-2010, 02:44 PM   #94
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JanelleM View Post
    I've owned two homes and I just don't get they hype. Plus taxes are insane. I pay $500/month in taxes alone. I would rather have a low rent payment and put the $1,000-$1,300 a month I would be saving on mortgage into my retirement fund. Homes are boring. Too much work and money.
    I know in my case (since I have a decent down payment) it's actually cheaper per month for me to own a place and have a mortage, taxes, insurance, pmi, hoa fee than it is to rent a place. Now granted it isn't much cheaper, but since the price is so close why not buy?
    Styx Cover Band is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #95
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrinkNoH2O View Post
    For the reasons I just described. Search online - there are plenty of articles on financial sites that will spell this out. In many cases (I never said all) at the moment you'll be saving money renting plus there's much more flexibility and a lot less hassle.

Sorry, not trying to stir the pot, but I think a lot of people have grown up their whole life listening to their parents about "flushing your money down the toilet" in paying rent and how you must buy a home - but frankly a lot of that info is outdated.

My recommendation to anyone buying a home would be to seriously research their market and crunch some serious numbers. You might be very surprised.

As for our 22 year old wanting to buy a condo in Seattle, I can almost guarantee that that is a depreciating asset and it would be cheaper to continue renting - especially considering he's likely to not stay there more than a few years.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Styx Cover Band View Post
    I know in my case (since I have a decent down payment) it's actually cheaper per month for me to own a place and have a mortage, taxes, insurance, pmi, hoa fee than it is to rent a place. Now granted it isn't much cheaper, but since the price is so close why not buy?
    I guess you have to go by situation then. As with Styx, the difference between renting and buying was a small margin even with taxes, PMI and HOA. At that point, you may as well buy.

Last edited by Nick@Night; 07-23-2010 at 03:01 PM.
    Nick@Night is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #96
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you have a decent down payment, why do you have PMI
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #97
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

My wife and I are going to be purchasing or building our first home by years ends.

We are a bit older than someone people on this site (35), and it'll be out first home purchase. We are planning to start a family soon, so we are going to buy a home we can be in for the next 10-20 years.

Visting homes and builders have given us the best ideas of what we do want, and what we don't want.
    Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #98
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    If you have a decent down payment, why do you have PMI
    Cause it's still under 20% of the price. But I'm told that the PMI I have to pay is tax deductable?
    Old 07-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #99
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I guess you have to go by situation then. As with Styx, the difference between renting and buying was a small margin even with taxes, PMI and HOA. At that point, you may as well buy.

Same here. In fact, my mortgage plus taxes (I don't pay PMI or HOA) is less than I was paying in rent for this same house.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 07-23-2010 at 03:35 PM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #100
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

If you're not in a hurry, considering a short sale isn't a bad thing. The condo I just closed on sold for $100,000 more than I paid for it in 2006.

I'm also another one of those who is saving money after buying.

You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2010, 05:56 AM   #101
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UNC41 View Post
    If you're not in a hurry, considering a short sale isn't a bad thing. The condo I just closed on sold for $100,000 more than I paid for it in 2006.

I'm also another one of those who is saving money after buying.
    That's a pretty substantial difference for a condo. How long did it take for you to get approved?
    Old 07-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #102
    mr.MikeD
    Heisenberg says "relax"

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    good - someone else is getting fucked by falling housing prices, ridiculous property taxes, maintenance and upkeep costs, and being locked into a location by their mortgage.
    /homeowner who wishes he wasn't.
    mr.MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #103
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    That's a pretty substantial difference for a condo. How long did it take for you to get approved?
    After the sellers accepted it took a little over a month for the bank to approve. I'll be the first to say that my short sale went better than most, but if you're not in a big hurry to get into a place it's something to look into because of the potential savings.

You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #104
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr.MikeD View Post
    good - someone else is getting fucked by falling housing prices, ridiculous property taxes, maintenance and upkeep costs, and being locked into a location by their mortgage.
    /homeowner who wishes he wasn't.
    This is a ridiculous statement. I'm not getting fucked whatsoever. Just because you're bitter about your house doesn't mean everyone else is.
    Old 07-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #105
    Mickey Carson

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JanelleM View Post
    I've owned two homes and I just don't get they hype. Plus taxes are insane. I pay $500/month in taxes alone. I would rather have a low rent payment and put the $1,000-$1,300 a month I would be saving on mortgage into my retirement fund. Homes are boring. Too much work and money.
    Maybe you bought a house that you can't afford then? If you bought a house out of your price range and are unable to save any money after making your mortgage payment, then you're right that it probably wasn't a wise decision.

EDIT: The difference between a person renting forever and someone like myself, is that I'll have no more mortgage payments when I'm 55 years old...whereas a renter will still be doling out that rent payment each month. Plus I'll have a lot more equity.

Last edited by Mickey Carson; 07-24-2010 at 10:23 AM.
    Mickey Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #106
    mr.MikeD
    Heisenberg says "relax"

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is a ridiculous statement. I'm not getting fucked whatsoever. Just because you're bitter about your house doesn't mean everyone else is.
    yeah i know, i'm not really getting fucked either. There are days i wish i hadn't bought, but long run it will be a positive.
    mr.MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2010, 06:38 AM   #107
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Top.

So my wife and I closed on Friday. What a goddamn experience. If i can give any advise, just make sure you have a shit ton of cash available when you are closing. We negotiated a pretty good deal, getting $8000 closing costs, and we still needed nearly $7000 at closing. The lawyers/broker didn't give us the total final amount due until 30 minutes before closing. That said, the moment you finish signing the papers and they hand you the keys, is one of the best feelings I've ever had. All the stress is gone.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2010, 07:27 AM   #108
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ascf33 View Post
    Top.

So my wife and I closed on Friday. What a goddamn experience. If i can give any advise, just make sure you have a shit ton of cash available when you are closing. We negotiated a pretty good deal, getting $8000 closing costs, and we still needed nearly $7000 at closing. The lawyers/broker didn't give us the total final amount due until 30 minutes before closing. That said, the moment you finish signing the papers and they hand you the keys, is one of the best feelings I've ever had. All the stress is gone.
    The first time you walk through the door without needing the realtor to unlock the house for you is awesome. That's a feeling I wish I could have all the time.
    Old 09-27-2010, 07:30 AM   #109
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

agreed. Awesome feeling... until my front doorknob fell off.
    Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 AM   #110
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    agreed. Awesome feeling... until my front doorknob fell off.
    The fun part now is going around finding all the small shit that bothers you that you didn't notice during the times you were looking at it.
    Old 09-27-2010, 07:36 AM   #111
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The fun part now is going around finding all the small shit that bothers you that you didn't notice during the times you were looking at it.
    yeah def. The front door knob fell off as I was leaving for work today and i just stood there looking at it like "really?!" We also found an outside light that never EVER turns off. Like I've tried every switch, replaced the bulb, made sure it wasn't a motion light etc. It's just always on.
    Old 09-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #112
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Top.

Congrats. Enjoy your home!!!
    Old 09-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #113
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yeah def. The front door knob fell off as I was leaving for work today and i just stood there looking at it like "really?!" We also found an outside light that never EVER turns off. Like I've tried every switch, replaced the bulb, made sure it wasn't a motion light etc. It's just always on.
    We have a small 1/2 bathroom in the basement that has a cabinet to the right of the sink. The lefthand door of the cabinet can only open halfway because it hits the gigantic light fixture they put over the mirror. It's idiotic and annoying, a minor design oversight I manage to live with because it's the basement shitter and doesn't get used as often as the other shitters.
    Old 09-27-2010, 07:48 AM   #114
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

After moving into our brand new home years ago, we realized that plumbing to the toilets was hooked up incorrectly and they were filling up with hot water. I was wondering my crap was basically disintegrating on impact.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #115
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Noles20 View Post
    Congrats. Enjoy your home!!!
    Thanks dude.
    Old 09-27-2010, 07:53 AM   #116
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    After moving into our brand new home years ago, we realized that plumbing to the toilets was hooked up incorrectly and they were filling up with hot water. I was wondering my crap was basically disintegrating on impact.
    Old 09-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #117
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    True story.

Also, we almost didn't make it to closing because the hot water heater had been leaking (which we told them about previously). They failed to clean it up and repair it and that resulted in some moldy drywall. They repaired it and cleaned up the mold under protest a few hours before closing. They also gave us the wrong stove but reconciled with us by giving us a $400 Ikea gift card.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2010, 07:58 AM   #118
    pagoda
    Rocket Doctor

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    We had this problem in an apartment we were in for a while. First time I noticed it was when I flushed while still on the john and I realized my ass was starting to sweat.
    pagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #119
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:

My Tour Central Stats

Funny that this thread was topped. So I finally heard back from the selling bank on Friday (after 4 months of waiting) for the short sale i'm trying to buy. They came back with a slightly higher price, but I took it. So my realtor had to send my earnest check to the selling realtor and the selling bank has to apparently sign off one more time (hopefully they do this quickly). But the selling realtor said once the bank signs off it will be a quick close. So hopefully (fingers crossed) I'll be in my new place in early November. Short sales = pain the ass
    Old 09-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #120
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Funny that this thread was topped. So I finally heard back from the selling bank on Friday (after 4 months of waiting) for the short sale i'm trying to buy. They came back with a slightly higher price, but I took it. So my realtor had to send my earnest check to the selling realtor and the selling bank has to apparently sign off one more time (hopefully they do this quickly). But the selling realtor said once the bank signs off it will be a quick close. So hopefully (fingers crossed) I'll be in my new place in early November. Short sales = pain the ass
    The short sale we had an offer on about a year ago that fell through before we bought our current house finally sold...to one of my girlfriend's bank tellers. After we dropped our offer (after 4 months of waiting) the place went in to foreclosure so this co-worker bought it a few weeks ago for about 25 grand less than we had offered on it. I'm ok with that, I'm just tickled the bank fucked themselves out of about a year of time and 25 grand in not selling to us when they had the chance.