New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 520 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-15-2022, 10:07 AM   #15571
hopewelljones

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Goddamn, DMB is the stupidest fucking band.

Take control over your music. Nobody gives a shit about album sales or single success.

Your tours are cash cows. You “made it” 25 years ago. These decisions being made by executives are just ridiculously silly at this point. Truly just baffling, how stupidly unique these guys have to be.

Side rant: I’ve seen so many times that Windows can’t be released now because its time of relevance has passed. A few thoughts: One, all of you/us would still lap it up, let’s be real. And by lap it up I just mean listen to it! No one is buying music anymore, so fuck this idea of needing to capitalize on it. Two, can art only touch on current events, and then can’t be expressed again? Like is DDTW irrelevant now because the Trail of Tears isn’t active anymore? Come on. Windows will always be a song about Covid response. It will always be a song that WAS WRITTEN at that time. It’s still impactful art with a meaningful message, even though quarantine is “over.”
hopewelljones is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-15-2022, 10:08 AM   #15572
    jssmith6
    every fire dies

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Can any of the insiders actually 100% say it is the record label? And if you can’t and it is 100% them to blame for delays, can you explain why you aren’t able to talk about them. Also, are we really thinking this is all on the record label. I could see like 50/50 Dave and record label since Dave is such a perfectionist.
    jssmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2022, 10:18 AM   #15573
    Robio

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

If the stories are true, then Dave is a soy boy beta cuck.
    Robio is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2022, 10:24 AM   #15574
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wvufan2010 View Post
    If everything here is true, Dave needs to get Taylor Swift on the phone haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sad to admit I thought about this yesterday if they were that desperate for a single 😂. Don’t even need her as a guest just collaborate on a chorus haha
    bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2022, 10:26 AM   #15575
    bibby1044

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jssmith6 View Post
    Can any of the insiders actually 100% say it is the record label? And if you can’t and it is 100% them to blame for delays, can you explain why you aren’t able to talk about them. Also, are we really thinking this is all on the record label. I could see like 50/50 Dave and record label since Dave is such a perfectionist.
    I think we can assume that some of the insiders sources are connected with the labels maybe even employed by it and that’s the source of their information and don’t want to risk outting their sources by sharing too much here.
    Old 06-15-2022, 10:27 AM   #15576
    DaveCrave41

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bibby1044 View Post
    Sad to admit I thought about this yesterday if they were that desperate for a single 😂. Don’t even need her as a guest just collaborate on a chorus haha
    I believe they were referring to how Taylor Swift rereleased an album she made specifically saying this is how I wanted it to go, like a middle finger to the studio that made changes she didn't like.

Awesome that fans had the opportunity to ask Mark about DMB. Hopefully he didn't catch the red glare of anyone else involved.
    DaveCrave41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2022, 10:35 AM   #15577
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

This thread has officially hit perpetual motion status. It will just keep going.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2022, 10:43 AM   #15578
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hopewelljones View Post

Take control over your music. Nobody gives a shit about album sales or single success.

Your tours are cash cows. You “made it” 25 years ago. These decisions being made by executives are just ridiculously silly at this point. Truly just baffling, how stupidly unique these guys have to be.

Side rant: I’ve seen so many times that Windows can’t be released now because its time of relevance has passed. A few thoughts: One, all of you/us would still lap it up, let’s be real. And by lap it up I just mean listen to it! No one is buying music anymore, so fuck this idea of needing to capitalize on it. Two, can art only touch on current events, and then can’t be expressed again? Like is DDTW irrelevant now because the Trail of Tears isn’t active anymore? Come on. Windows will always be a song about Covid response. It will always be a song that WAS WRITTEN at that time. It’s still impactful art with a meaningful message, even though quarantine is “over.”
    Agree with all of this. Hell, Phish releases albums with seemingly no interference and I can't think of a Phish song that was Billboard 200. But I'm not a Phish fan.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2022, 10:54 AM   #15579
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    Not "hip" enough with the "in" crowd?

I remember when they did SNL for the Everyday promotion. It was crap!
    I remember that episode specifically for a skit about a fire at Drew Barrymore’s house. Tracy Morgan was hilarious.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2022, 10:57 AM   #15580
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Regarding Everyday's promotion when they appeared on TRL with Carson Daly on MTV back in '01, we went decades without knowing who the guest guitarist was. I wonder how he was able to guest with them, that was his only guest appearance which further made it difficult to ID him.
    Old 06-15-2022, 11:05 AM   #15581
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robio View Post
    SUAD would be a natural single. Bismark, TOT, Madman's Eyes could be successful as well. If the stories are true, these record execs are douches.
    I thought it was interesting that Harris and Lillywhite both basically said that SUAD is a forgettable tune.
    Old 06-15-2022, 11:06 AM   #15582
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Agree with all of this. Hell, Phish releases albums with seemingly no interference and I can't think of a Phish song that was Billboard 200. But I'm not a Phish fan.
    Phish created their own independent record company in 2005 so they aren't signed to a major. That's why they have more control and in 2005 their business model most likely favored going indy whereas in 2005 american baby was their most successful billboard single. 2 different bands with 2 different business models.

Obviously DMB looking back may regret staying under RCA but they were a billboard charting band and those bands were staying with majors.
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2022, 11:12 AM   #15583
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Take a few steps back and grab a snickers lol. Artists on the same level as DMB have been stuck in back record contracts. The curse of DMB is that they were at one point commercially successful and I see this happen in hip hop as well.

Had DMB been able to see 30+ years into the future they may have done things differently but the music business is filled with artists who live to regret their contracts.
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2022, 11:40 AM   #15584
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvol View Post
    I had someone tell me CHS weekend that CVILLE this winter is already in
    The works…I’d think he’d have some info but not sure how rock solid that is. Wonder if Chad and those guys have heard?
    What is CHS weekend? Is that alto carrot changing “this” to CHS?
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2022, 11:42 AM   #15585
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvol View Post
    I thought it was interesting that Harris and Lillywhite both basically said that SUAD is a forgettable tune.
    To be fair, the LWS version is really underwhelming… it’s prob the worst song on there. But it did get a lot better live especially when they brought it back in ‘07 and put a lot more energy into it. I used to play the shit out of that version they released on the ‘07 Tour Sampler.
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2022, 11:47 AM   #15586
    bibby1044

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveCrave41 View Post
    I believe they were referring to how Taylor Swift rereleased an album she made specifically saying this is how I wanted it to go, like a middle finger to the studio that made changes she didn't like.
    I agree with that too haha
    Old 06-15-2022, 11:49 AM   #15587
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eggsrsweet View Post
    To be fair, the LWS version is really underwhelming… it’s prob the worst song on there. But it did get a lot better live especially when they brought it back in ‘07 and put a lot more energy into it. I used to play the shit out of that version they released on the ‘07 Tour Sampler.
    That version is the best one.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2022, 11:52 AM   #15588
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    What is CHS weekend? Is that alto carrot changing “this” to CHS?
    Charleston SC!
    Old 06-15-2022, 12:10 PM   #15589
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Love this.
    Old 06-15-2022, 12:13 PM   #15590
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monizzle145 View Post
    Take a few steps back and grab a snickers lol. Artists on the same level as DMB have been stuck in back record contracts. The curse of DMB is that they were at one point commercially successful and I see this happen in hip hop as well.

Had DMB been able to see 30+ years into the future they may have done things differently but the music business is filled with artists who live to regret their contracts.
    I don't think he's mad haha. Just a nice, relevant little rant. DMB re-upped with RCA, did not have to do that. And where's RCA's leverage anyway, DMB still is commercially successful. We can downplay it all we want, but they release an album and it performs well, every time.

What's RCA going to do if DMB was like, "nah thanks for your feedback, but this is what we're feeling." They not going to help distribute the record? At this point in DMB's career, contracts aside, if you're letting executives from an antiquated and unnecessary business type influence your creative output...you're doing it wrong. Unless there is some man or woman at RCA we don't know about that the band really leans on for constructive creative feedback...this whole thing is really a relic from another time that should not be a thing.

Last edited by jaymas9; 06-15-2022 at 12:14 PM.
    jaymas9 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2022, 12:16 PM   #15591
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

They could put Windows on some kind of benefit EP and people will download it/buy the CD. Unbelievable.
    Old 06-15-2022, 12:23 PM   #15592
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

They could just release windows on the damn album. This whole "he wrote it during the initial quarantines" thing is probably the most overblown shit I've ever read haha. It's just a good song, and yes there are very clear connections to COVID, but the song could easily be about literal wartime, it's just a beautiful song.

Also, not like we're all going to forget about how we felt in 2020, there is just nothing about the song that "missed its window" or makes it "irrelevant now."
    Old 06-15-2022, 12:27 PM   #15593
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveCrave41 View Post
    Didn't listen to it yet. What TS album are they talking about? She's had full creative control on the final cuts of things for quite some time so it must be the Fearless album. Either that or literally no one thought it was a good idea to release a 10 minute version of All Too Well in 2012 or whatever year it was.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2022, 12:48 PM   #15594
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone care to provide a quick recap of the recent discussions?

I haven't read everything, but from what I gather, the band had an album ready to go and RCA pushed back because it didn't have a catchy enough single and that's part of the reason for the delay?
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2022, 12:50 PM   #15595
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

That's about the size of it. Oh, and BarkRock says September/October release....maybe.
    Old 06-15-2022, 12:58 PM   #15596
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hahninator View Post
    Didn't listen to it yet. What TS album are they talking about? She's had full creative control on the final cuts of things for quite some time so it must be the Fearless album. Either that or literally no one thought it was a good idea to release a 10 minute version of All Too Well in 2012 or whatever year it was.
    She doesn't own the rights to any of her music through 1989...or at the very least fearless, red, and 1989, so she's re-recording all of them as "Taylor's version" and that's most likely what will be played for the rest of time. She's also releasing a bunch of bonus shit with each re-recording and she's through 2 of the 3 albums she's doing.

I may have some details incorrect, but overall, just a total boss move.
    Old 06-15-2022, 12:59 PM   #15597
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's about the size of it. Oh, and BarkRock says September/October release....maybe.
    I'm worried it had to do with more than just a single (as quite frankly the 3 main tunes their still playing are some of the catchiest tunes I've heard from dmb in awhile), and there was pushback on the overall vibe or song collection in general.
    Old 06-15-2022, 12:59 PM   #15598
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hahninator View Post
    She's done it with two albums -- Fearless and Red -- due to a dispute with Scooter Braun & Big Machine, who owned the masters for her first six albums. So, she re-recorded them in order to have full ownership over her back catalog.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor...rs_controversy

Last edited by madhatter; 06-15-2022 at 01:00 PM.
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2022, 01:02 PM   #15599
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Scootlebug said that.
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2022, 01:03 PM   #15600
    BarkRock

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Scootlebug said that.
    correct. Mine was more vague "Late Summer/Early Fall" --- That is what I was told.
    BarkRock is offline   Reply With Quote