Dave/DMB with Rick Rubin - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-30-2023, 06:52 AM   #1
notorious v.i.g

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Dave/DMB with Rick Rubin

I've always loved Rick Rubin. I was watching the Tom Petty Wildflowers docuemntary on a long flight recently and it got me thinking of how great i think it would be if he produced an album with them. Ideally i'd love a Dave solo and a full band album. I can dream. Anyone else think this could be a great collaboration?

https://www.theringer.com/music/2020...niverse-ranked
Past: Newark, NJ (Prudential)
notorious v.i.g is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-30-2023, 07:38 AM   #2
    GauchoSpaceman

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave/DMB with Rick Rubin

It would be awesome. A DMB one, specially. Metallica's Death Magnetic is an exemple of how to get a "jam" band back to making jams. Complex, long and tempo changing ones. Inspired solos would come up, Carter would shine like he never did before, horns would show up in the right places, groove would be back again, guitar attacks would be right in our faces. And all that, my friends, by (post lithly-increased) HOT TAKES.

I believe it would sound like a son BTCS put in BW's belly. And it would be a beautiful masterpiece.

But I dream...

Enviado de meu SM-S916B usando o Tapatalk
    GauchoSpaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2023, 08:15 AM   #3
    two-by-twostep

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

yea this is almost painful to think about because of how great i think the album would be.

i get it that we all have unrealistic expectations for dmb (btcs25...) but it still feels like, since lws, the band as a whole is far less than the sum of its parts :-/ if dmb worked with someone like rubin tho, i really believe he'd get the best out of them. but i think they're afraid of that...
    two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2023, 08:15 AM   #4
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Rick Rubin seems like a dude I’d definitely want to hang with. He’s been popping up on my Instagram a lot lately and I really dig his philosophies on music and recording.

The way DMB played this summer, and the quality output of Walk Around the Moon has me wanting more. Would be great to see them work with someone that can really push them into some great songwriting and recording.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2023, 08:14 AM   #5
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

I like SOME of Rick Rubin's productions. I do think he's a very interesting person and enjoy his interviews/podcasts. His approach to creativity and his curiosity about it is intriguing.

I think it could be a huge success or a massive failure with DMB.

Dave's writing would really need to take a step up. Rubin doesn't really enjoy working with half finished ideas, though he's said he will to get a job done. He prefers someone to come in with nothing and start the whole process from start to finish in a session, OR have completely written songs that need ideas for production.

I think the latter would work best for Dave. But it would be cool to be a fly on the wall with him and Rubin in a studio making something from nothing.

They'd really need something to catch fire early in the process for this all to work. A 3 year off/on session per usual with Rubin is likely not something he's up for.
    Mountains#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2023, 08:19 AM   #6
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

A notoriously lazy band when it comes to making albums isn’t a good fit for Rick Rubin.

The U2 production team(Eno, Lanois, Lillywhite) would have been awesome, but there’s no way they’re doing paying for that now.

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2023, 08:23 AM   #7
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

If you think about Mark Batson, who apparently Dave still has a good relationship with after all these years, there's something about THAT process that Dave likes. Maybe Mark is a yes man. Just loves everything Dave does, and maybe Dave needs that.

It does seem like very few people around Dave are people who are critical or offer an honest answer about songs like That Girl Is You. For Batson to publicly mention that song being some magical force that brought him to tears, is someone who just wants to throw only positive vibes at Dave. That is not a great song. They've salvaged it live, but the studio version is a travesty for an A level musician like Dave. Someone should have been honest and just said, "keep this one for the live show, but it doesn't belong on any album."

Rubin would be honest, and I think that might harm the creative relationship. Dave is looking for people like Alagia, Evans, Batson to just help get the songs done. Not anyone that would create friction or put up hurdles to try and get a better result for the finished song.
    Mountains#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2023, 06:11 PM   #8
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BotheLaneFan View Post
    A notoriously lazy band when it comes to making albums isn’t a good fit for Rick Rubin.

The U2 production team(Eno, Lanois, Lillywhite) would have been awesome, but there’s no way they’re doing paying for that now.
    I think Dave is the lazy one. I wouldn't categorize them as a lazy band in that regard. I think Dave writing and recorded a hugely successful commercial album in 45 minutes with Glen Ballard made him realize he didn't really have to work that hard to make an album.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote