R.I.P. Leroi Moore. - Page 25 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 08-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #721
lisamara41

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: R.I.P. Leroi Moore.

LeRoi,

Thank you for giving me years of joy through your music. Your music will play forever in my heart and soul.:angel

Peace, love and respect,

Lisa

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #722
    Hamburger41

Shows Seen: 74

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

The world truly lost a great talent yesterday.

Leroi was an integral part of the one band that always brought great joy into my life for the better part of 11 1/2 years and a total of 46 concerts. Yes, some years were better than others, but the music this band created never failed to illicit some sort of positive emotional reaction from me whenever I listened to them. This band was the first band I started listening to on a regular basis that got me out of my hard-rock-and-heavy-metal-music-only comfort zone in 1997. I saw them live for the first time on 6.27.97. I loved the energy that each band member brought to the table on stage, and I've been hooked ever since.

The music that Leroi helped create with DMB has given me so many memories and through their music, I've met so many cool people. And now a part of that music has been silenced forever. And I am amazed at how much this has all hit me, as I'm sure most of you are. I'm astounded at the great sense of loss I feel for a man I neither knew personally, nor ever had the privilege to meet in person. I don't know how many times already today I've had to stop reading the posts here and go check out something else just for fear that I wouldn't be able to hold it together any more. Hell, I can barely type this without getting a tear or 5 in my eyes!

I guess that just goes to show the true extent of how deeply this band's music affects all of us. Leroi helped to bring so much happiness into all of our lives; how could we not mourn the loss of that?

So, wherever you are tonight, when you're drinking whatever it is you drink, raise a toast to Leroi. Raise a toast to his family. Raise a toast to his bandmates and dear friends. And then raise a toast to the DMB community for the sense of loss we all feel and the sense of "togetherness" that unites us right now.

Rest in peace, Leroi. You will be missed.

Brad
    Hamburger41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #723
    mattyf878
    Gunga galunga gunga.

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Rest in Peace LeRoi- Your music brought joy to each and every one of us and will continue to do so. I, for one, am forever thankful to you for that.
    The Dave Matthews Band will never be the same.

"LeRoi Moore on the saxaphone"...man im gonna miss that
    mattyf878 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #724
    Evans

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I just can't imagine how he was fine yesterday and then he just passed away. Devastating.
    I'd like to take a chance to thank you all very much for joining us this evening and I hope that you have a nice night followin' this one, don't forget to love each other, don't forget to do your best, don't forget to vote, don't forget to dafahdedofehdahdeedoedeeday!
    Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #725
    phlaming lips
    Read a f***ing book!

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Much love and wishes for peace for Roi's family, friends, and fans.

I have no idea how much this loss will affect each and every song that I hear for the rest of my life by DMB, but I know this much: I will think of you, Roi.
    phlaming lips is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #726
    proudest_monkee

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I am stunned. I had no clue, like many here, that things were that bad. My heart goes out to his family and to all my fellow fans.

And what a fitting opener last night. LeRoi was always so present on "Bartender" and it is really one of the songs that I think of when I think of him.

Last edited by proudest_monkee; 08-20-2008 at 10:02 AM.
    proudest_monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #727
    BMattyD
    I don't post often.

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I'm still in the shocked phase, not sure where to go or what to do. I'm sure that Leroi can take comfort knowing that his music has helped us through some of the toughest times, and that this is no exception.

In his passing, his true talent will now be realized by those outside of the DMB community. It's an extremely unfortunate situation, but will make him legendary.
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #728
    missmistytina

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Such a standing part of my life were these 5 guys & their music. I thought they would always b there. Now one won't. My heart and my soul are saddened. LeRoi will be missed in every song and show, in the band I grew through and with, and in the world forever.
    missmistytina is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #729
    jlatham23
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone have the Warehouse Calender? When I got in to my desk @ work I saw this hanging and I knew who was on there for next month. I went ahead and turned it to September for today.

RIP Roi
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:06 AM   #730
    SDMN

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I am very saddened to hear about LeRoi. I am so greatful to have been able to listen to his sweet sound for so long. We will all miss him dearly.
    SDMN is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #731
    dmbyeahh

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I will miss Roi but i can always listen to tapes and hear something new in a Roi solo ive heard a thousand times! RIP Leroi!
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #732
    Exodus

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

It saddens me now that I think about it. I was at the last show that he will ever perform. It is scary to imagine him being there one day and gone the next. I will never forget that show. It now has special meaning to me.

My prayers go out to his family.

If there is one thing I have to say, it is, Play On Boys. Keep the music flowing, I believe it is what LeRoi would want.

We have the most shows of any station. Come on in and listen, make requests, dedications, and experience many other options.
    Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:10 AM   #733
    JRowe10

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

The Rowekamp/Goldy Families: Loyal Dave fans since 1993. We are deeply saddened by the loss of LeRoi, and our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, DMB, and the millions of fans like us who are mourning his passing. We will continue to rock out to his jams, and hope he is doing the same in heaven.

"I remember thinking, I'll go on forever only knowing I'll see you again..."
    JRowe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #734
    Surfer X
    I'm a Unique Weasel

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

From Greg Howard (Chapman Stick, Code Magenta) on Myspace...

Quote:

LeRoi Moore
    Category: Music

Yesterday I was at the grocery store and saw an entertainment mag with an article about the recent sudden death of Bernie Mac. I'm a fan, and I hadn't been keeping up with the news, so it was a shock, he was only 50 years old.

The first person I thought of was my old friend LeRoi Moore (DMB, Code Magenta) I hadn't seen LeRoi in a while but had been following his recovery from a recent ATV accident. So I was doubly shocked to hear about his sudden death last night (only 46 years old).

LeRoi also had a wicked sense of humor, but it's something only his friends knew about. Unlike Bernie Mac, LeRoi was a pretty shy and reserved person when out in public, but I always knew whenever I saw him that he would have a killer joke for me. He also had a truly brilliant mind and was an amazing and energetic conversationalist.

Saxophonists in the rock music world are few these days, and Leroi has left behind a body of work that people will have in their heads for many years to come. And as much as I will love listening to his sounds I will definitely remember more his delivery of his favorite latest punch line.

My condolences to his family and band mates for this sudden, tragic loss.

RIP, Leroi,

Greg
    Quick side note...Greg was a sax player before he was a Stick player...
    Surfer X is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:17 AM   #735
    BigEyedUofLFish
    RIP ALI

My Tour Central Stats

RIP Roi. It's no doubt you are up in the sky jamming like hell with John Coltrane. You will be missed brother.
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:17 AM   #736
    jjkim1028

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

R.I.P. Leroi.
    I heard the news on the radio this morning..
    can't think straight right now.. have been crying and sobbing for last a couple hours..
    This band means so much to me, and it's just... big loss..
    can't believe this is actually happening...
    gonna miss him so much...
    jjkim1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:18 AM   #737
    kduffy0

My Tour Central Stats

Mr. LeRoi Moore:

Come in from the cold for a while
    everything will be alright.
    Come in from the noise for a time
    everything will be alright.
    Friend, goodbye,
    For now, goodbye.
    kduffy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:18 AM   #738
    choade4053

Shows Seen: 172

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Not sure if this is already on this thread, but i'll add it in case it's not...an article from one of the newspapers and a review of the show from last night...

Dave Matthews Band's farewell to a fallen brother
    Review: Hours after the untimely death of sax man LeRoi Moore, the group delivered an inspired elegy at Staples Center.
    By BEN WENER
    The Orange County Register
    Even if it had been a merely half-hearted performance – which it wasn't, not even close, though who'd have blamed 'em if it were? – Tuesday's inspired show at Staples Center would still linger long in Dave Matthews Band lore.

For this, sadly, was the night the group played a nearly three-hour elegy for its fallen brother, LeRoi Moore.

You could tell something was different – something wasn't quite right – from the way Matthews approached the microphone after opening with a tremendous roar through "Bartender." Clearly striving for some sort of grieving catharsis during that track's dozen-minute running time, eventually achieving a high-pitched, hollered fervency like I haven't felt shake my soul since Bono was in his prime, he suddenly looked sullen, sad-eyed, kinda lost – yet at the same time all business, as if out to impress.

"We got some bad news today," he told the quickly quieted crowd. It was a heavy blow: Saxophonist and founding member Moore – DMB's own Clarence Clemons – who had suffered health complications ever since sustaining serious injuries from an ATV crash on his Virginia farm in late June, had died earlier that afternoon at Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center in Los Angeles, not far from where the band would play hours later. He was 46.

"(He) gave up his ghost today," Matthews said matter-of-factly, "and we will miss him forever."

That Matthews and his mates were able to soldier on so valiantly with an often profoundly moving and largely unsentimental performance wasn't just admirable – it was downright astonishing. What's more, it spoke to the inexplicable but immense healing power of live music.

"We're gonna raise our spirits up a little bit," the generally easygoing but this night stoic icon explained to the crowd after finding his smile as "Proudest Monkey" smoothly dovetailed into the roiling syncopated figure of "Satellite" and drummer Carter Beauford started letting the spirit stir him. "It's always easier to leave than to be left," he pointed out. And yet, as he acknowledged later in the set, before a hearty cover of Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer," "There's nowhere I'd rather be than with my family on stage."

Naturally, the band turned the evening into a de facto tribute to Moore – something it has done at tour stops all summer, actually. But now there was a shift in tone: Where before heavier moments were meant to conjure good vibes for the ailing Moore, here those epics took on a distinctly funereal tone.

Granted, little about the selections was outright dour. Though accompanied by the bleak visual of raindrops cascading down a window pane, the soaring, shining finale of "So Damn Lucky," for one, felt as if the glory of heaven were opening up before the musicians' eyes. The relatively new African-derived gospel groove "Eh Hee," meanwhile, arrived like a celebration of the circle of life, with an evil-slaying Matthews insisting he'll "drop the devil to his knees."

But then there was the added resonance to the hopefulness that emerges amid the identity-crisis storm of "Dancing Nancies." There was the Johannesburg lull of "Water into Wine" to bring a tear – and there was Tim Reynolds' solos on "Proudest Monkey" and the closing "Two Step," yearning wailing like you get from Nils Lofgren on a good night, to do the crying for us.

There was the parting sorrow of the rarely aired "Loving Wings" and the baptismal cleansing of "The Maker." (The hypnotic refrain "river, rise from your sleep" that concludes that latter piece was as calming as a Ladysmith Black Mambazo lullaby.) Then there was the most wrenching moment of all, at least for me, when the ensemble dusted off "The Dreaming Tree," a moody epic that recalls the elegiac intensity of Sting's "The Soul Cages."

And yet this hardly came across like a strictly solemn occasion. How could it when Matthews also led his group (including Moore's ace replacement, Jeff Coffin from Bela Fleck and the Flecktones) through the stress-relieving exaltation of Talking Heads' "Burning Down the House" and the skin-shedding funk of Gabriel's "Sledgehammer"? How could it when for all its introverted indulgence it also made room for crowd-pleasers like "Crash into Me" and "Ants Marching" and the all-you-need-is-love optimism of "Everyday"?

"That's professionalism," I heard one fan say to another outside afterward. Yes, but there was more than the-show-must-go-on determination happening here. Who can know what Matthews, Beauford, fiddler Boyd Tinsley and bassist Stefan Lessard were remembering and feeling and mourning in song after song? What was evident in their joyful noise this night, though, was just how much staggering on stage with battered hearts might have been their only option.

Remember: They had spent the better part of two decades making music with Moore; this is how they related to one another most. First time Matthews heard Moore play, he recalled as the encore began, was in a bar in Virginia: "He leapt on the cash register – 'cause standing had become something of a chore at that point. And he played the most beautiful rendition of 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' I've ever heard.

"If I could, I would," he added, as if to say why he wouldn't attempt it, before instead offering a haunting rendition of his own "Sister." Indeed, all that he – and they – could do here was richly revive some of Moore's favorite songs, disappear into their frameworks, savor lyrics that now had new meaning – and deliver the emotional immediacy the moment demanded.

It was brave, it was brilliant – it was a performance unlike any I've ever seen Dave Matthews Band give.
    choade4053 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #739
    Zebby

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Thank you LeRoi for all of your music that I've enjoyed in my life....i know you're somewhere over the rainbow with sunshine on your shoulders right now!

Rest in peace...
    Zebby is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #740
    Zebby

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Thank you LeRoi for all of your music that I've enjoyed in my life....i know you're somewhere over the rainbow with sunshine on your shoulders right now!

Rest in peace...
    Zebby is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #741
    Coachman76
    Unlikely to agree

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Heroes live forever. Heroes never die.

Go with God, Roi. Go with God.

I don't have the words to write anything else right now.
    We will never forget, we will always remember
    Coachman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:22 AM   #742
    asujoe91

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

You just know God is up there dancing in the rain as LeRoi jams away on a cloud up in heaven. RIP LeRoi, you will forever be missed and playing in my head. My condolences to your family, friends and all the members/fans who loved you so much.

"only the good die young..."
    asujoe91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:23 AM   #743
    thortrac

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I'm so thankful that I got to see LeRoi on June 6th in Bridgeview before his accident. The two shows at Alpine this year were not the same without him. You're already so dearly missed my man... you have no idea. Love you guys, the support is awesome!

thortrac is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #744
    Devilspawn
    Devil's poser ego

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

if you have pics from the Roi's last show(Nissan)... could you post them here or somewhere please... I would like to put some in when I frame the poster...

I was there, but did not have a nice camera...

thanks...

and rest peacefully LeRoi
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:28 AM   #745
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

I am UTTERLY heartbroken. I started to get very upset this morning and I started to think, "Man, am I nuts for acting like this? I didn't even personally know the guy..." Then I took a moment collected myself and realized that I am indeed not crazy. This band has been my favorite band for over 10 years now. I listen to their music almost everyday. I really have a strong connection to this music and it is evident in the fact that I can't go a day without listening to them or checking up on them on the message boards. So in a way DMB has felt like a kind of family to me. I go to them when I'm happy and I go to them when I'm sad. I go to them for all sorts of emotions I have experienced. This band has had a tremendous impact on my life and for that reason it greatly upsets me to see one of their members/brothers has passed. I have said it before in other posts that it was a great shame that this accident occured when it did. I think we all know that Roi hadn't been quite Roi the past couple years. Of the original 5, I felt that Leroi was THE star of the beginning of this summer's tour. It only breaks my heart that much more to think of what he would have continued to do this summer, in the studio and for future tours.

Leroi,
    I didn't know you personally but you spoke to me everyday through your music. Your playing was what helped make one of the greatest bands in my lifetime so incredibly special to me. Your family, your friends and your soul are all in my heart today as I mourn the tragic loss of your musical spirit. You will truly be missed and your musical presence will not be forgotten. My heart has broken today as many others have, but I know you will be with me everyday as I will find comfort in your beautiful music for years to come. Rest in peace and wherever you are I can only hope that those who are with you will be touched by your music and spirit as I have been.

With much love from one of your biggest fans,
    Kevin Horan
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #746
    trippinchad
    Nothing But Beard

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I'm still in shock

#NATITUDE
    trippinchad is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #747
    Peregrine
    TIA.

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I am totally blown away . . . shocked and very sad to hear this . . . I don't know what else to say. Too young. Far, far too young.

Best wishes to his friends and family, and to him.

A little light has sputtered and faded on this planet, and we'll all miss you.
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #748
    Scoot13

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

R.I.P. Roi, things will never be the same again. We will always remember. Prayers go out to the Moore family and the entire band's families. The angels are crying today.
    Scoot13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #749
    thortrac

My Tour Central Stats

There are a few pics on the DMB website under concert photos. Just select the June 28th show.
    Old 08-20-2008, 10:36 AM   #750
    thortrac

My Tour Central Stats

Hey Chad, you are so lucky you were at his last show. I saw him on June 6th here in Chicago. A month later he was out... 2 months later, gone. All I want to do is cry today... people at work think I'm nuts!

Tags
    best thread ever , groogrux king , leroi moore