I don't know about you, but I'm feeling '22 (tour chat) - Page 11 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-21-2022, 02:25 PM   #301
ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: I don't know about you, but I'm feeling '22 (tour chat)

Playing great songs is all I care about in a show but not playing the same setlist each night is something I care about at the same time
ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-21-2022, 02:32 PM   #302
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Playing great songs is all I care about in a show but not playing the same setlist each night is something I care about at the same time
    Nice. Just gotta check your definition of the word "All" and then you are golden.
    Alpine416 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2022, 02:44 PM   #303
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Here's an analogy- The Yankees winning is all I care about, but I also care that they play good defense and have good pitching.

Make sense?
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2022, 02:51 PM   #304
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alpine416 View Post
    Yes that is what I meant. Cool so it did make a difference if it was same setlist for both nights of a two night stand or a standardized two night stand with no repeats.
    Makes a huge difference if they play the same set at both nights of a two night stand. Then it's just two standalone shows at the same venue, which fwiw, is what almost every major touring artist does.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2022, 02:54 PM   #305
    Alpine416

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
    Here's an analogy- The Yankees winning is all I care about, but I also care that they play good defense and have good pitching.

Make sense?
    Having trouble following. Can we role play it out where you get defensive and dodge the question when I ask if you care about the Yankees playing good defense?
    Alpine416 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2022, 02:59 PM   #306
    Dannyyankou

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alpine416 View Post
    Having trouble following. Can we role play it out where you get defensive and dodge the question when I ask if you care about the Yankees playing good defense?
    Well in that scenario, I'd say if they played bad defense but still won, a win is a win and I'll take it. The win in the end is the main priority. But I would've preferred they played less sloppy defense.
    Old 06-21-2022, 03:14 PM   #307
    hopewelljones

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

It's really simple. If you're tired of seeing songs like this - DDTW, Grey Street, triplets, Satellite, Gravedigger, Jimi Thing, etc - it's not the band's fault. You're choosing to expose yourself to it. You aren't owed anything. It's okay to want things, but goddamn DMB fans are just another level of weird. I know I've been on a tirade about it the last week or so, but it's really just mind bending to me. I don't know any other fanbase like this! It's so fucking weird! The New Album thread got shut down after I started engaging with this guy who posted that he literally just goes to shows to meet with his friends and catch up, and he doesn't care to hear the bulk of the set. I wish the Jeff Tweedy rant was still on Youtube but it looks like they pulled it. Basically his thesis is that when you're at a show, you're supposed to be an audience member. You're supposed to be attentive to the artist, and in doing so, you'll be part of a really cool and profound collective experience with thousands of others who paid TO SEE/LISTEN TO THE PERFORMANCE. DMB crowds are just littered with selfish assholes who use it as a chance to flex and bro out. Definitely an American problem. Listen to or watch videos from European shows- the crowds are so great. The only time they aren't silent during songs is when they're participating with the song with singing and/or clapping or whatever. (I personally hate clapping along at concerts but, at least it's more respectful than talking to your bros during the song).

If you think I sound like a snob, I'm really not, I swear. I love getting drunk and high and having a rambunctious time, but that's all only to enhance the experience of taking in the performance.
    hopewelljones is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2022, 03:41 PM   #308
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well in that scenario, I'd say if they played bad defense but still won, a win is a win and I'll take it. The win in the end is the main priority. But I would've preferred they played less sloppy defense.

If the Yankees played good defense in every single game they played in their history and they had the Red Sox record would you go to games hoping for good defense or winning though?
    Old 06-21-2022, 04:29 PM   #309
    Dannyyankou

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    If the Yankees played good defense in every single game they played in their history and they had the Red Sox record would you go to games hoping for good defense or winning though?
    Winning obviously
    Old 06-21-2022, 05:05 PM   #310
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Winning obviously

Old 06-21-2022, 05:15 PM   #311
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's really simple. If you're tired of seeing songs like this - DDTW, Grey Street, triplets, Satellite, Gravedigger, Jimi Thing, etc - it's not the band's fault. You're choosing to expose yourself to it. You aren't owed anything. It's okay to want things, but goddamn DMB fans are just another level of weird. I know I've been on a tirade about it the last week or so, but it's really just mind bending to me. I don't know any other fanbase like this! It's so fucking weird! The New Album thread got shut down after I started engaging with this guy who posted that he literally just goes to shows to meet with his friends and catch up, and he doesn't care to hear the bulk of the set. I wish the Jeff Tweedy rant was still on Youtube but it looks like they pulled it. Basically his thesis is that when you're at a show, you're supposed to be an audience member. You're supposed to be attentive to the artist, and in doing so, you'll be part of a really cool and profound collective experience with thousands of others who paid TO SEE/LISTEN TO THE PERFORMANCE. DMB crowds are just littered with selfish assholes who use it as a chance to flex and bro out. Definitely an American problem. Listen to or watch videos from European shows- the crowds are so great. The only time they aren't silent during songs is when they're participating with the song with singing and/or clapping or whatever. (I personally hate clapping along at concerts but, at least it's more respectful than talking to your bros during the song). <br>
    <br>
    If you think I sound like a snob, I'm really not, I swear. I love getting drunk and high and having a rambunctious time, but that's all only to enhance the experience of taking in the performance.
    u ok, bro?
    Bearclaw_ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2022, 05:37 PM   #312
    hopewelljones

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bearclaw_ View Post
    u ok, bro?
    just got a lot on my mind bro. would love to meet up at a show and talk it out with you
    Old 06-21-2022, 05:47 PM   #313
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hopewelljones View Post
    It's really simple. If you're tired of seeing songs like this - DDTW, Grey Street, triplets, Satellite, Gravedigger, Jimi Thing, etc - it's not the band's fault. You're choosing to expose yourself to it. You aren't owed anything. It's okay to want things, but goddamn DMB fans are just another level of weird. I know I've been on a tirade about it the last week or so, but it's really just mind bending to me. I don't know any other fanbase like this! It's so fucking weird! The New Album thread got shut down after I started engaging with this guy who posted that he literally just goes to shows to meet with his friends and catch up, and he doesn't care to hear the bulk of the set. I wish the Jeff Tweedy rant was still on Youtube but it looks like they pulled it. Basically his thesis is that when you're at a show, you're supposed to be an audience member. You're supposed to be attentive to the artist, and in doing so, you'll be part of a really cool and profound collective experience with thousands of others who paid TO SEE/LISTEN TO THE PERFORMANCE. DMB crowds are just littered with selfish assholes who use it as a chance to flex and bro out. Definitely an American problem. Listen to or watch videos from European shows- the crowds are so great. The only time they aren't silent during songs is when they're participating with the song with singing and/or clapping or whatever. (I personally hate clapping along at concerts but, at least it's more respectful than talking to your bros during the song).

Bibby literally said it was sarcasm the whole way. It was clearly a bit that went right over your head.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2022, 05:51 PM   #314
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hopewelljones View Post

Wait till you go see a jamband forum tied to Phish or the Grateful Dead. The sarcasm you can't handle will be like childs play compared to those fanbases haha.
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2022, 06:17 PM   #315
    hopewelljones

My Tour Central Stats

Ahhhh Sugar Man! Wish I was at Pine Knob right now!
    Old 06-21-2022, 06:18 PM   #316
    hopewelljones

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    Bibby literally said it was sarcasm the whole way. It was clearly a bit that went right over your head.
    oh okay then I was just being sarcastic too
    Old 06-21-2022, 10:06 PM   #317
    OutofDarkness

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Really cool to see Sugar Man come back. I loved it in the acoustic sets. And Rodriguez's Cold Fact is a five-star album.
    OutofDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2022, 10:31 PM   #318
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Dave said he met Rodriguez today. Played it in his honor because of it.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-21-2022, 11:14 PM   #319
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Is this the most consecutive shows into a tour with at least one tour debut?
    Old 06-22-2022, 12:38 AM   #320
    JboDaveGuyYNK

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I'd take that 2night set we voted on this winter at every 2 night stand moving forward.

For at least a few years.

If not longer.

If they mixed up the 1 night sets.

Because there's more than 40 something songs I love.

Don't mind me being indecisive here, and this isn't a jab at anyone. Indecisiveness is OK given such hypotheticals

My view is it speaks to how incredible this band is and its fun thinking about pipedream situations as well as complain about different things but I think it would be tough to deny they absolutely killed it this past weekend as a whole.

But this is all coming from someone who has a difficult time making anything more than a "bottom 15". Really difficult time.
    JboDaveGuyYNK is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2022, 03:09 AM   #321
    scollie41

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I was enjoying this thread until people started complaining about SMTS-Bridge-Too Much. Really? That is some quintessential DMB right there and I would take that back too back at every DMB show for the rest of my life. The level of expectations some of you have on this board is beyond belief!
    scollie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2022, 05:39 AM   #322
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

I miss when too much was slowed down during the break down. That was fun.

They did it with two step last night and it was 15 seconds of awkward.
    Old 06-22-2022, 06:01 AM   #323
    Aforauer

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    I miss when too much was slowed down during the break down. That was fun.

They did it with two step last night and it was 15 seconds of awkward.

Maybe unpopular opinion, but I hate that slow part of two step. It’s awkward and always sounds out of sync. Then it picks back up and smokes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aforauer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2022, 07:19 AM   #324
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OutofDarkness View Post
    Really cool to see Sugar Man come back. I loved it in the acoustic sets. And Rodriguez's Cold Fact is a five-star album.
    I posted this before, but not sure if in Ants...

Rodriguez's song structure clearly had a HUGE impact on Dave. Sugarman is a great example of a minor verse section (maybe a bit haunting, but definitely darker feeling lyrically) coming up against that major chorus that uplifts and flips the table on the verses. The Stone is a great example of Dave tune that follows that pattern, although you could pick from a bunch of other DMB tunes as well.

The Sugarman doc is a great story and nice bit of filmmaking. I hope they play more rare (or ideally new) covers this year, since it's inevitable that they'll get played.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-22-2022, 07:38 AM   #325
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

It seems like the band could every need covered with four sets if they chose that route.

1 night stand set...individual shows in different cities, maybe w/ the cities on b2b nights needing to be 200+ miles away (Mansfield/Hartford essentially is and should continue to be treated like a 2-nighter) Mix up the order, let the Dave solo remain an audible...
    2 night stand set...for all the obvious places, and ideally it would NOT repeat any of the songs for the 1 night set (allowing everyone to get three unique sets per tour should they so choose/have the ability) Again, mix up the song sequence including which night stuff gets played with the solo spots potentially being random (in placement as well as
    1 festival set...generic greatest hits type set

Gorge could be the 1 & 2 night stand sets...using that pool of 60 or 70 core tunes while changing up the flow, having some guests, and having those three audibles...

I'd rather they never do this, but at some point I wouldn't be surprised if they work towards a more standardized/consistent set.
    Old 06-22-2022, 07:39 AM   #326
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I get you 100%...

The consistent strong play on the offense and defense, WITH solid pitching bodes well for the long haul AND winning in the playoffs (where the Yanks have been choking for years now). This is how they truly contend for a title.

To bring it back for others as it relates to DMB, we don't just want them to be having fun and playing well, we also want the great songs and diverse sets. If we get one of gems of a show, we'll count ourselves lucky, but we'd hope for a consistent quality from the shows so we can enjoy more of the shows we see. A great set w/ crappy performance is as likely to be a loss as not to die hard fans. A "generic" set with great performances also doesn't excite most.

So we put the band and ourselves in a tough place, as we want it ALL at every show we attend. When we get it "all" at a show we are reminded of their greatness and more appreciative of that show. It's what keeps us coming back for more and rekindles the remaining vestiges of faith that we have in the band.

I'm just looking forward to more shows. Normally we'd be fitting a handful or more of Avetts shows and a smattering from other artists, but the Avetts aren't hitting our area outside of the Outlaw fest in MPP and that's not a good fit for our schedule. And our budget is better for it, so other acts aren't really happening either. As such, DMB is where I'm almost solely focused this year. Ideally we get to hear some more great tunes/sets, but I'll do my best to enjoy that's given...while retaining the right to be a whiny bitch as I deem necessary.

Cheers again.
    Old 06-22-2022, 08:02 AM   #327
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    I posted this before, but not sure if in Ants...

Rodriguez's song structure clearly had a HUGE impact on Dave. Sugarman is a great example of a minor verse section (maybe a bit haunting, but definitely darker feeling lyrically) coming up against that major chorus that uplifts and flips the table on the verses. The Stone is a great example of Dave tune that follows that pattern, although you could pick from a bunch of other DMB tunes as well.

The Sugarman doc is a great story and nice bit of filmmaking. I hope they play more rare (or ideally new) covers this year, since it's inevitable that they'll get played.
    Last night Dave likened Rodriguez to himself as a lot of people feel about Bob Dylan or cat stevens. His words.

The story he told about meeting him yesterday was cool. You could tell he was very excited about it.
    Old 06-22-2022, 08:02 AM   #328
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aforauer View Post
    Maybe unpopular opinion, but I hate that slow part of two step. It’s awkward and always sounds out of sync. Then it picks back up and smokes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah. I feel like it could be cool but it’s like they’re all playing in different time. Ah well. Haha
    Old 06-22-2022, 08:13 AM   #329
    kevinmavs

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Did we really need to lock the new album thread though? I realize it gets out of hand in there...but that's been happening for over a year.
    Old 06-22-2022, 08:26 AM   #330
    artiej1120

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

They're going to play the shit out of Sugar Man now, aren't they?
    artiej1120 is offline   Reply With Quote