***Official Chicago 2022 Thread*** - Page 9 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 11-17-2022, 08:15 AM   #241
ESM21
Big as a Beach Ball

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Chicago 2022 Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayTwoStep View Post
This exact sentiment is shared here pretty much when any criticism pops up, and my question in response is this: has the bar really been set that low?

If it’s a “big catalog”, why are the same 40ish songs in constant rotation every show?

Nobody is demanding only the classics, even getting just a few could make every set every night at least average. With this tour, you’re not getting that whatsoever.
As far as this tour, with 11 shows in 17 days clear across North America, we had to expect and be okay with some repetition, no? And per the almanac, there's been 65 different songs played on this tour out of 172 songs total played. Just sayin...
ESM21 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-17-2022, 08:16 AM   #242
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ESM21 View Post
    Guess I just don't think that hard about what I can't control. If I'm dancing, they're doing something to me that's right.

Not everything has to be the best ever thing to be a good thing. Not every moment has to be the best possible moment to be a worthy moment.

In fact we should have more bad moments!
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2022, 08:20 AM   #243
    ESM21
    Big as a Beach Ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    In fact we should have more bad moments!
    Not have more per se, maybe just expect a little less... If your expectations exist in the 1994-2005 stratosphere, you're going to crash into earth more times than not.

I, for one, am really digging the band's reprise of some of the Away from the World stuff.
    Old 11-17-2022, 08:22 AM   #244
    RunawayTwoStep

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    As far as this tour, with 11 shows in 17 days clear across North America, we had to expect and be okay with some repetition, no? And per the almanac, there's been 65 different songs played on this tour out of 172 songs total played. Just sayin...
    And about 20 of those songs have been played once…just sayin…so again, 40ish songs in constant rotation that have been dominating setlists.
    RunawayTwoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2022, 08:23 AM   #245
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not have more per se, maybe just expect a little less... If your expectations exist in the 1994-2005 stratosphere, you're going to crash into earth more times than not.

I, for one, am really digging the band's reprise of some of the Away from the World stuff.

"Fall tour 2022, expect less!" - interesting mindset
    Old 11-17-2022, 08:23 AM   #246
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

The band is lazy with other songs in their catalog getting played. I don't hate going to shows, but it would be a lot more fun if the whole catalog was on the table. If they could play Alligator Pie instead of Why I Am a few nights, then play Dive In a few shows or something else from BW, it would be much more interesting to me. Same with CT. There's so many good songs on that album (or at least decent songs for fans) that are just shelved. Black and Blue Bird has been played one time since that album came out. One.

Play that instead of Can't Stop a few nights, then play Come On Come On or full band Virginia. Shake it up and embrace the catalog. Oh and stop being embarrassed by your hits. People do still want to hear Crash Into Me. Play it instead of You & Me every few nights. Call audibles. Play a D&T style E1. Play Dreaming Tree instead of DDTW. Play Bartender and if you can't hit those notes Dave, don't force it... but don't abandon these songs either. We all understand you might have vocal fry and it's harder. That's fine, the crowd can back you up with those notes like they always do. But don't abandon the songs.

Play Captain. Play Busted Stuff. Play Dreams of Our Fathers for the first time. Play JTR or Snow Outside. Hell, bring back I Did It for a few shows. Don't just play a song once or twice on tour and then leave it behind. Don't settle for what's easy when you have one of the best jobs in the world. Embrace it.
    Old 11-17-2022, 08:40 AM   #247
    ESM21
    Big as a Beach Ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanbrutus View Post
    The band is lazy with other songs in their catalog getting played. I don't hate going to shows, but it would be a lot more fun if the whole catalog was on the table. If they could play Alligator Pie instead of Why I Am a few nights, then play Dive In a few shows or something else from BW, it would be much more interesting to me. Same with CT. There's so many good songs on that album (or at least decent songs for fans) that are just shelved. Black and Blue Bird has been played one time since that album came out. One.

Play that instead of Can't Stop a few nights, then play Come On Come On or full band Virginia. Shake it up and embrace the catalog. Oh and stop being embarrassed by your hits. People do still want to hear Crash Into Me. Play it instead of You & Me every few nights. Call audibles. Play a D&T style E1. Play Dreaming Tree instead of DDTW. Play Bartender and if you can't hit those notes Dave, don't force it... but don't abandon these songs either. We all understand you might have vocal fry and it's harder. That's fine, the crowd can back you up with those notes like they always do. But don't abandon the songs.

Play Captain. Play Busted Stuff. Play Dreams of Our Fathers for the first time. Play JTR or Snow Outside. Hell, bring back I Did It for a few shows. Don't just play a song once or twice on tour and then leave it behind. Don't settle for what's easy when you have one of the best jobs in the world. Embrace it.
    I'm not a performing musician per se, but I can't think for bands like DMB (not a jam band in the sense of "letting the music take the sound wherever it goes), that they don't necessarily have the dexterity to be wildly varying the set lists every night. Maybe they did more so when they were younger, but these are grown men (Carter is 64!) with families. I'm sure they like to fly home between shows, be with their spouses and kids, etc. For a band that cares about quality of sound, it must be tough to balance the demand for original sets with what the band (incl. newer pieces like Buddy and limited rehearsal time) can play well. I don't think they're lazy, though. That's a tad harsh. It's safe to say they care deeply about their musicianship and sound.
    Old 11-17-2022, 09:10 AM   #248
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

They could be playing the same amount of songs and have far less complaints, in terms of their commitment to performance they are absolutely not lazy. Dave has a gym session and three vocal sessions every day before going on stage, the others are constantly studying, teaching, learning etc. I just wish all of their talent would be matched with setlists we all know they are capable of performing.
    Old 11-17-2022, 09:27 AM   #249
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    They could be playing the same amount of songs and have far less complaints, in terms of their commitment to performance they are absolutely not lazy. Dave has a gym session and three vocal sessions every day before going on stage, the others are constantly studying, teaching, learning etc. I just wish all of their talent would be matched with setlists we all know they are capable of performing.

To this point, I’ve always been curious why it’s necessary to have RaAb at every single show? How is DMB his #1 priority? How can they not do some of those warmups via zoom? Why does he need to look at lyrics for every song while they’re being played? Is that to see what notes Dave struggles with and what he can hit? Why does Dave sing some songs or portions of songs in (IMO) such horrendous ways? He actually has 3 vocal sessions daily??

Kudos to Dave, but man it’s wild how necessary it seems RaAb is….
    BruceW is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2022, 09:52 AM   #250
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    To this point, I’ve always been curious why it’s necessary to have RaAb at every single show? How is DMB his #1 priority? How can they not do some of those warmups via zoom? Why does he need to look at lyrics for every song while they’re being played? Is that to see what notes Dave struggles with and what he can hit? Why does Dave sing some songs or portions of songs in (IMO) such horrendous ways? He actually has 3 vocal sessions daily??

Kudos to Dave, but man it’s wild how necessary it seems RaAb is….

Money speaks and clients have different needs but yes you can absolutely do just about if not everything through Zoom, I take 1:1 weekly vocal lessons through Zoom with a professor at Berklee. Just to point out an example specific to Raab he warmed up Ariana Grande for a show in London while he was at a hospital in the US when his wife was in labor, continues to work with her, Brandi Carlile, Chris Stapleton, John Legend etc. remotely. Lyrics are likely to see what areas of songs need to be cleaned up, he writes and does covers that are out of his range a lot, yes according to Raab both in person and in seminars it's three sessions. Dave's voice IMO is absolutely beautiful in stripped down settings, when you add the band things can get strained and pushed even without being aware of it until you're hoarse.
    Old 11-17-2022, 11:03 AM   #251
    twostepr41

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Dave can't honestly believe he needs RaAB or whatever his name is, on board all the time. That guy is hella weird.
    twostepr41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2022, 11:54 AM   #252
    mattyd
    take these chances

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

I think a lot of people forgot how terrible it was to have an entire year of music cancelled because of the pandemic. There will be nights you don't hear the song you wanted, but think of the big picture that is to have music back and be grateful the band is still touring.

Last edited by mattyd; 11-17-2022 at 11:56 AM. Reason: grammar
    mattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2022, 12:09 PM   #253
    onesweetworld41

Shows Seen: 67

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Not my favorite show but still a lot of fun. Too many soft/dave solo (or if he toured with an orchestra) type songs - if only, ocean/butterfly, come tomorrow - in the set where you could do something more energetic.
    Old 11-17-2022, 12:45 PM   #254
    Comerica2000

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

On a positive note: I enjoyed how some of the band's standards have evolved this fall. New intro to "Don't Drink" is excellent, and certainly different than what I heard this summer; ditto for the jam on "You Might Die Trying," which has developed nicely. The BOWA extended outro was new to me, too.

Also: Was on the floor with several others who were at Deer Creek this summer. Night 2 still being discussed. The setlist choices, acoustic-heavy mix with no Tim, Joe on several songs, even the curveball encore -- all made for a memorable show. Hope it's an LT contender.*
    Comerica2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2022, 01:28 PM   #255
    JimmyGBuckets

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

You are preaching facts in this entire thread. I find it pretty wild that people point to golden eras of 2001 to talk about great sets, ignoring the reality that 2/3 of the band's existence has occurred since that time.
    JimmyGBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2022, 02:04 PM   #256
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimmyGBuckets View Post
    You are preaching facts in this entire thread. I find it pretty wild that people point to golden eras of 2001 to talk about great sets, ignoring the reality that 2/3 of the band's existence has occurred since that time.

Preaching those facts about all the endless people expecting it to be 2001
    Old 11-17-2022, 02:21 PM   #257
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattyd View Post
    I think a lot of people forgot how terrible it was to have an entire year of music cancelled because of the pandemic. There will be nights you don't hear the song you wanted, but think of the big picture that is to have music back and be grateful the band is still touring.
    what a low bar
    Old 11-17-2022, 04:37 PM   #258
    RunawayTwoStep

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    what a low bar
    Been saying this for a couple weeks now. The argument of “just be glad they’re still playing” is just weak IMO.

Last edited by RunawayTwoStep; 11-17-2022 at 04:42 PM. Reason: ..
    RunawayTwoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2022, 05:10 PM   #259
    CrashTheStone41
    Cordially Invited

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone have a warehouse ticket they are willing to part with? I was lucky enough to get my hands on a set list and would like to frame it with the stub.

CrashTheStone41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2022, 07:20 PM   #260
    bersey
    I am your father.

Shows Seen: 95

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

My tape is up at dreamingtree.org

Just a heads up, it is a stealth style recording as United Center would not let our stands in. 3 tapers including myself were denied at the pit entrance to the arena. A 4th taper did get all his gear in through another entrance and recorded from the floor behind the soundboard.
    bersey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-18-2022, 05:19 AM   #261
    twostepr41

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RunawayTwoStep View Post
    Been saying this for a couple weeks now. The argument of “just be glad they’re still playing” is just weak IMO.
    When thats all you can say for a tour, it kind of makes the point.
    twostepr41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-18-2022, 10:14 AM   #262
    ESM21
    Big as a Beach Ball

My Tour Central Stats

Cross-pollenating here...anyone got a N2 single for MSG lowers, floor, or pits? Hoping!
    Old 11-19-2022, 09:03 AM   #263
    lilant420

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by handal View Post
    That is my complaint, yes, and because of that, it wasn’t a particularly fun show. Crowd was dead all night. The pit barely moved
    Crowd in the pit sucked!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nsturcotte View Post
    Pit was not engaged because the show was meh. I barely found myself dancing or really getting “into it”. Most of those people have probably been to several shows and feeling the same. Pit needs to go and have more access to tickets in front….for the WH not Ticketmaster. I haven’t gotten tickets from WH in more than 10 years but still have membership. Dumb. I’m tired of them pawning the shit tickets to members and then being left scrambling if I can’t sell and double paying for tickets. There’s no way that was a true “sell out”. I picked up my pit on TM at 5:50pm and there were several tickets still available.

Someone once told me when you don’t like the song choice, focus on the musicians. That’s what I did. I enjoyed the interaction between the guys, stage cues, recognizing people from past shows…looking at the lights and video production. When guest trumpet player’s mic went out, Jeff noticed right away and after his spot he turned his mic to trumpet every time.

Drums were bouncing heavy off surroundings….it didn’t sound good. I was pit center towards the back.

Enjoyed it for what it was, being a Tuesday show in “hometown” but Dave plays what he wants. Last GREAT Chicago shows were caravan era and I’ve been to all since then.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhino27 View Post
    No tapers at this show?
    Good Q. Guy behind me entering in the pit line was having issues bringing his stuff in. I'm not sure if he actaully ended up getting in w/ the equipment or not. Based on the few mins I heard and saw I don't think that one particular taper was allowed in. Chicago is always a mess. #Joy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Comerica2000 View Post
    On a positive note: I enjoyed how some of the band's standards have evolved this fall. New intro to "Don't Drink" is excellent, and certainly different than what I heard this summer; ditto for the jam on "You Might Die Trying," which has developed nicely. The BOWA extended outro was new to me, too.

Also: Was on the floor with several others who were at Deer Creek this summer. Night 2 still being discussed. The setlist choices, acoustic-heavy mix with no Tim, Joe on several songs, even the curveball encore -- all made for a memorable show. Hope it's an LT contender.*

DDTW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlN1gwA0cfE

Ants: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAjPUfshJ5g
    lilant420 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2022, 01:01 PM   #264
    greppson
    a humble monkey

Shows Seen: 133

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhino27 View Post
    No tapers at this show?
    Oh we were there... but they wouldn't let us in with the stand and said our gear bags were too big. So we stuffed them in the car and just went to the show. Crew wasn't able to help.

LUCKILY someone was able to get their gear and stand in via another entrance and get down to the floor. And another taper stored a lot of his stuff and recorded from the bill of his hat...

Still pissed about how everything panned out.
    Old 11-20-2022, 12:41 PM   #265
    lilant420

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greppson View Post
    Oh we were there... but they wouldn't let us in with the stand and said our gear bags were too big. So we stuffed them in the car and just went to the show. Crew wasn't able to help.

LUCKILY someone was able to get their gear and stand in via another entrance and get down to the floor. And another taper stored a lot of his stuff and recorded from the bill of his hat...

Still pissed about how everything panned out.
    This is so typical of Chicago, I don't get it.

I had a extra ticket years back for a John Mayer show I gave to a taper and he did it from his hat as well. I swear it was the best recording (at that time) I've ever heard. IDK how the thing didn't pick up any of us talking the entire time. I'm excited to hear this recording specifically!
    lilant420 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2022, 05:51 PM   #266
    ESM21
    Big as a Beach Ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrashTheStone41 View Post
    Does anyone have a warehouse ticket they are willing to part with? I was lucky enough to get my hands on a set list and would like to frame it with the stub.
    I got you. WH pit stub. Text me your address. 8605082694
    Old 02-26-2023, 11:10 AM   #267
    Costanza11

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I’m also looking for a stub if anyone has an extra? Warehouse or regular TM, whichever. Thanks for your help.
    Costanza11 is offline   Reply With Quote