The Batson Sessions: DMB Studio Efforts from 2006 Leaked - News Discussion - Page 55 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #1621
madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Batson Sessions: DMB Studio Efforts from 2006 Leaked - News Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson31 View Post
I won't speak for anyone else but I had the opportunity to hear some of this music last summer. However the leak contained a lot of stuff that was new to me and almost all of it differed at least slightly from what I had previously heard.

As Doby mentioned there were a series of videos created for some of these songs. Mark Batson calls it "There Are Ghosts" and I think he has specifically mentioned this in Instagram posts. Songs like Early Home, Ask and Idea of You basically have music videos. Mark's creation of these videos and a stall in what would have been Cavallo's 2nd effort led to some of the older Batson ideas being revisited for Come Tomorrow. Mark really loves DMB and has the passion of a fan. He created the videos out of his belief in the music and his desire to finish what they started. A lot of that desire had to do with LeRoi. Mark feels that the final complete recordings of LeRoi Moore are special and worthy of release. I believe he stated as much in now deleted Instagram posts.

There is a lot more I could say but I'll say THANK YOU to anyone who made this possible. Somebody probably forked over some money and I want you to know that you are appreciated. Reach out if you want to chat.
Do you think this leak will have any effect on whether or not the band finishes up any of these songs for a new album? I recall a rumor that there was likely to be another album coming within a year or two after Come Tomorrow with some songs that were already somewhat completed (so they'd only spend minimal time in-studio). I'm guessing there's at least some overlap with what's in this leak. Any thoughts on that?
madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-16-2018, 10:36 AM   #1622
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Do you think this leak will have any effect on whether or not the band finishes up any of these songs for a new album? I recall a rumor that there was likely to be another album coming within a year or two after Come Tomorrow with some songs that were already somewhat completed (so they'd only spend minimal time in-studio). I'm guessing there's at least some overlap with what's in this leak. Any thoughts on that?
    I’d like to add to this Carson questionnaire

Why was the original album with Cavallo stalled? From the get go, I have been so confused as to why we didn’t get two albums. One from Cavallo in 2016 (Samurai Cop, Bismarck, Virginia, Black & Blue, etc.) and one from Batson in 2018 (Come Tomorrow/Batson Sessions)

I’m really curious about the 2nd Cavallo Sessions, and why they never finished and had to then collaborate with the Batson project.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #1623
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carson31 View Post
    I won't speak for anyone else but I had the opportunity to hear some of this music last summer. However the leak contained a lot of stuff that was new to me and almost all of it differed at least slightly from what I had previously heard.

As Doby mentioned there were a series of videos created for some of these songs. Mark Batson calls it "There Are Ghosts" and I think he has specifically mentioned this in Instagram posts. Songs like Early Home, Ask and Idea of You basically have music videos. Mark's creation of these videos and a stall in what would have been Cavallo's 2nd effort led to some of the older Batson ideas being revisited for Come Tomorrow. Mark really loves DMB and has the passion of a fan. He created the videos out of his belief in the music and his desire to finish what they started. A lot of that desire had to do with LeRoi. Mark feels that the final complete recordings of LeRoi Moore are special and worthy of release. I believe he stated as much in now deleted Instagram posts.

There is a lot more I could say but I'll say THANK YOU to anyone who made this possible. Somebody probably forked over some money and I want you to know that you are appreciated. Reach out if you want to chat.
    The coolest thing about Batson is his personality. He's engaging and yeah... he clearly loves DMB. I had a newfound respect for him when I heard CT. I don't love CT, but I had sort of put him in the category of not knowing how to produce DMB after SU. These demos confirm that he was headed down the track of a more traditional arrangement, and that Stand Up was more of a deliberate departure than I gave it credit for initially. I'm still not crazy about it, but I just think there's more to Batson as a producer than i thought after that.

I don't think he's the end-all be-all for DMB, but I think he can deliver appropriate production for the band when asked to do that.

Nothing on these demos particularly excites me, but there is stuff I like. Certainly, i think some of these songs could have gotten better as the production continues.

Batson is a cool dude though, and his attitude toward the band's music is infectious. I can appreciate that.

Last edited by Heyberto; 10-16-2018 at 10:42 AM.
    Heyberto is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #1624
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post

Why was the original album with Cavallo stalled? From the get go, I have been so confused as to why we didn’t get two albums. One from Cavallo in 2016 (Samurai Cop, Bismarck, Virginia, Black & Blue, etc.) and one from Batson in 2018 (Come Tomorrow/Batson Sessions)

I’m really curious about the 2nd Cavallo Sessions, and why they never finished and had to then collaborate with the Batson project.
    This band has struggled with creativity since at least 2000. There have been spurts, but that's about it, and with mixed results. I'm sure it's just more of the same.
    Old 10-16-2018, 10:44 AM   #1625
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think it could, but not because of the material being exposed itself. I think it's more likely to kill their enthusiasm for the material.
    Old 10-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #1626
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

The leak of these sessions has reminded me why after a few months, I do not listen to CT anymore. I've grown bored of the family and political rhetoric that Dave sings about these days. Love is one thing, it will always be an underlying theme, but in recent times, it seems like the lyrics can be taken at face value. With the big 3 and for some portions of subsequent albums there was always a debate about deeper meanings and untangling words and verses.

Additionally, the instrumentals on some portions of CT seem so basic to me. TGIY and Come Tomorrow come to mind. While there are songs on these sessions that are also basic, they are catchier.

Last edited by Cscottrun; 10-16-2018 at 10:57 AM.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2018, 10:59 AM   #1627
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

I really do dig the Batson Sessions, and the songs turned out good that made it to CT in my opinion. But, to me the strongest parts of come Tomorrow are the Cavallo songs. I loved all the new songs they were debuting between 2015-2016, and I was really stoked about that potential album. Batson getting involved had literally split the album into two parts, and combined them. It’s what’s wrong with CT in my mind. I still think it’s a good album, and has strong songs and good production. But I can’t help but feel that they dropped the ball. I really feel like Cavallo and Batson should have gotten their own separate albums.

Cavallo (2016/2017)

Samurai Cop
    Be Yourself
    Here On Out
    She
    Again & Again
    Virginia in the Rain
    Bismarck
    Black & Blue Bird
    Do You Remember
    Sugar Will
    Death on the High Seas

Batson (2018/2019)

There Are Ghosts
    Idea Of You
    Break Free
    Red Glare
    Early Home
    Can’t Stop
    Kill the King
    Drive Me Away
    Come On Come On
    Shotgun
    Come Tomorrow
    When I’m Weary
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #1628
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I really do dig the Batson Sessions, and the songs turned out good that made it to CT in my opinion. But, to me the strongest parts of come Tomorrow are the Cavallo songs. I loved all the new songs they were debuting between 2015-2016, and I was really stoked about that potential album. Batson getting involved had literally split the album into two parts, and combined them. It’s what’s wrong with CT in my mind. I still think it’s a good album, and has strong songs and good production. But I can’t help but feel that they dropped the ball. I really feel like Cavallo and Batson should have gotten their own separate albums.

Cavallo (2016/2017)

Samurai Cop
    Be Yourself
    Here On Out
    She
    Again & Again
    Virginia in the Rain
    Bismarck
    Black & Blue Bird
    Do You Remember
    Sugar Will
    Death on the High Seas

Batson (2018/2019)

There Are Ghosts
    Idea Of You
    Break Free
    Red Glare
    Early Home
    Can’t Stop
    Kill the King
    Drive Me Away
    Come On Come On
    Shotgun
    Come Tomorrow
    When I’m Weary
    If you had to choose one of the two albums, which would it be? Pretty easily Batson's album for me. Drive Me Away and Break For It absolutely should be on it though.
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #1629
    groogrux27

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    The leak of these sessions has reminded me why after a few months, I do not listen to CT anymore. I've grown bored of the family and political rhetoric that Dave sings about these days. Love is one thing, it will always be an underlying theme, but in recent times, it seems like the lyrics can be taken at face value. With the big 3 and for some portions of subsequent albums there was always a debate about deeper meanings and untangling words and verses.

Additionally, the instrumentals on some portions of CT seem so basic to me. TGIY and Come Tomorrow come to mind. While there are songs on these sessions that are also basic, they are catchier.
    i totally agree with what your saying.

sadly though, I think that thats the direction Dave is moving in. In his interviews over the summer when he was like "No, I'm going to do what I want to do" I feel like was basically, hes gonna write, and if he feels like thats what he wants the song to be, then thats what itll be.

There's not as much drive to ask questions, or find deeper meaning, that was there at one point.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #1630
    groogrux27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you had to choose one of the two albums, which would it be? Pretty easily Batson's album for me. Drive Me Away and Break For It absolutely should be on it though.
    shnikes thats a good question. I love too many of the songs on the 'Cavallo' one to just straight up say I'd take the 'Batson' one. But then again, getting Break Free, KTK, Shotgun, Drive Me Away, dang . . . I literally have no idea haha.
    Quote:
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #1631
    bowa36

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

i've listened to Come Tomorrow at maximum 4 times through, I have listened to a collection of 17 songs from TBS 6-7 times through now
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #1632
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I’d go Cavallo all day. But I want both!! Lol. I forgot about Break For It. It is a good song, and there’s probably room on that mock album for it. Still taking Cavallo though
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #1633
    grilldanmo

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamingtree_34 View Post
    Early Home may be the best Dave solo song since Gravedigger.
    Maybe if GD were even close to the best song SD...

That album is masterful and I'm a fan of GD, it's just not the top of that heap...maybe the middle. But there's not a bad song on SD. Top four or five Dave/DMB releases for me.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #1634
    Carson31

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I really don't know. I'm aware of the rumor you mentioned but it's not something I have any 'insider' knowledge of other than I have heard the rumor. Given the depth of material, it's certainly plausible that another record could be pounded out pretty quickly. Seems like Dave is always working on something.

Perhaps if Dave had some positive feedback on some of these leaked tunes he would revisit them. I have no idea if any of them were very close to being included with Come Tomorrow. So as far as overlap between this and what could be considered for another record, I have no idea. But I tend to think that positive feedback could make something happen.
    Carson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #1635
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Just a consideration for all the drum and drum machine discussion...Carter may have the one programming stuff. No reason he couldn't have been in the room or at the board laying down the beats on a machine rather than exerting tons of energy on a full set.

I don't have any info to prove or disprove this, just presenting the possibility that Carter is playing stuff HE wrote and programmed on a drum machine. And if he didn't, maybe (just maybe) he liked the parts and felt they sounded right, so he stuck with them.
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #1636
    excitingjae

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vorony View Post
    Scream into the Grave sounds similar to the verse progression in Baby Blue.
    yes, that may be what I was hearing!
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #1637
    onetwothree

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I like the batson sessions mainly because KTK, shotgun, break for it and break free. It’s all around somewhat decent. Is it LWS, no but the thing is there are songs on the batson sessions that we like.

I wish the band would listen to the fan base more and also be more active in putting out live releases, instead they put out come tomorrow and I think as an album it’s flat and boring altogether.
    onetwothree is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #1638
    ForkInFork

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

quick question, who was the producer with them for the 2004 sessions?
    ForkInFork is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #1639
    groogrux27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ForkInFork View Post
    quick question, who was the producer with them for the 2004 sessions?
    i could be completely off here, but i'm pretty sure that there was no producer, they just went in and recorded songs themselves with no plan on actually producing and releasing them. when they went in with batson on 05 is when they brought those same songs back in to record and release, AFAIK
    Quote:

Last edited by groogrux27; 10-16-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #1640
    TMoore4075
    RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by groogrux27 View Post
    i could be completely off here, but i'm pretty sure that there was no producer, they just went in and recorded songs themselves with no plan on actually producing and releasing them. when they went in with batson on 05 is when they brought those same songs back in to record and release, AFAIK
    Yeah from what I've heard there was no actual producer in the studio. Just someone(s) working in the control room. I think it was a mix of rehearsing for the summer and trying new stuff.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
    TMoore4075 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #1641
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by groogrux27 View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TMoore4075 View Post
    Yeah from what I've heard there was no actual producer in the studio. Just someone(s) working in the control room. I think it was a mix of rehearsing for the summer and trying new stuff.
    Does anyone have ants+? When I had access to it, I'm pretty sure I asked this question in the thread that Jake answers all the questions in and I'm fairly certain he said there was a producer, he knows who it was, but it's not public knowledge so he wouldn't disclose.

If someone has ants+, you can search my username in that thread and you should find it. I only posted in there a few times, so it shouldn't be hard to find. I can't recall if I asked about the 04 sessions or a different one.
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #1642
    Carson31

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I have to take Dave at his word, he said something to the effect of 'losing interest' so he moved on. That was in an interview recently so I might be able to find that source. As far as I know that happened in the Summer of 2015. My guess is that someone felt like the album wasn't that great and that other options should be explored.

Educated guess is that in the Summer of 2015 there was a change from Cavallo to Alagia. Alagia makes it sound like he & Dave recorded rather extensively in the Producers Roundtable discussion. I don't think Mark Batson was ever really out of the picture but very educated guess is that he and Dave agreed to revisit some of their old stuff again in May 2016.

Someone decided to take all that and make it one album. My understanding is that Come Tomorrow was largely created between this past December and March. Unfortunately I dont have many specifics.
    Carson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #1643
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I understand what you're saying, but sometimes there's deeper meaning and subtext to be found in seemingly straight forward lyrics. Lyrics are really all about the listener experience, in that even when they come across as very matter of fact, there can be more or different things perceived by different listeners.

For example, I get what the lyrics of SC are about, but I saw them not as a metaphor for child birth and family (since they are clearly touching on that without any use of metaphor), but as a statement about our society, where we came from, where we are, and where we're going. It goes from maybe being a bit slow, but relatively joyful to a dark and arguably bleak...

"Let's not forget these early days
    Remember we begin the same
    We lose our way in fear and pain
    Oh joy begin
    Oh joy begin"

The atmosphere and tone of SC are not light and happy to my ears. There's a brooding undercurrent that speaks to something darker. It's like a flip of his songs that sound happy musically, but the lyrics are darker. In this case some folks are hearing a song about being a parent only as that and despite the dirge-y quality to the music itself feeling as if it's "happy". So Damn Lucky sounds super uplifting musically, but the car accident theme of the song is not a pleasant topic.
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #1644
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but sometimes there's deeper meaning and subtext to be found in seemingly straight forward lyrics. Lyrics are really all about the listener experience, in that even when they come across as very matter of fact, there can be more or different things perceived by different listeners.

For example, I get what the lyrics of SC are about, but I saw them not as a metaphor for child birth and family (since they are clearly touching on that without any use of metaphor), but as a statement about our society, where we came from, where we are, and where we're going. It goes from maybe being a bit slow, but relatively joyful to a dark and arguably bleak...

"Let's not forget these early days
    Remember we begin the same
    We lose our way in fear and pain
    Oh joy begin
    Oh joy begin"

The atmosphere and tone of SC are not light and happy to my ears. There's a brooding undercurrent that speaks to something darker. It's like a flip of his songs that sound happy musically, but the lyrics are darker. In this case some folks are hearing a song about being a parent only as that and despite the dirge-y quality to the music itself feeling as if it's "happy". So Damn Lucky sounds super uplifting musically, but the car accident theme of the song is not a pleasant topic.
    Pretty much a politically motivated statement in my mind. Either way, something I'm sick of hearing Dave sing about lol. And I get that you might say there is nothing else to sing about, or he's singing to the tune of what is going on in the world, but I read enough about that. Idk, hard to explain. Just seems so overdone at this point.
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #1645
    Chumlee67
    A.K.A. Marshmont

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Does anyone have ants+? When I had access to it, I'm pretty sure I asked this question in the thread that Jake answers all the questions in and I'm fairly certain he said there was a producer, he knows who it was, but it's not public knowledge so he wouldn't disclose.

If someone has ants+, you can search my username in that thread and you should find it. I only posted in there a few times, so it shouldn't be hard to find. I can't recall if I asked about the 04 sessions or a different one.
    He said he did not know.

List of Officially Released Tracks:
    Thread -- Website / Document (Defunct) / Sheet (Defunct)
    Last Update: 09/06/2019
    Chumlee67 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #1646
    excitingjae

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

anyone else get a Jeff Buckley vibe from the guitar playing in Bullets and Rum(n)? I also feel that starting with the 2000 sessions Dave might have been on a Buckley kick based on some of the guitar playing.
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #1647
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chumlee67 View Post
    He said he did not know.
    Huh, I guess my memory is way off. Or maybe someone else told me that, idk. I guess don't take anything from my statement since it seems inaccurate.
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #1648
    DMB1JW

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you had to choose one of the two albums, which would it be?
    Cavallo by a long shot for me. VITR + Again and Again = Game Over for Batson

The leaked Batson sessions are awesome to have though.
    DMB1JW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #1649
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1JW View Post
    Cavallo by a long shot for me. VITR + Again and Again = Game Over for Batson

The leaked Batson sessions are awesome to have though.
    This seems poll worthy but I don't know how to make one so oh well.
    Old 10-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #1650
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Huh, I guess my memory is way off. Or maybe someone else told me that, idk. I guess don't take anything from my statement since it seems inaccurate.
    No your recollection is 100% accurate, I just checked.