What was the last movie you watched? - Page 3025 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-15-2015, 05:44 AM   #90721
Speilmen230
Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Wrestler
Requiem
Pi
Black Swan
Fountain

Haven't seen noah. Don't really plan on it.
It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-15-2015, 05:51 AM   #90722
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Before Sunrise A+

First time viewing. Linklater does it again for me. I am just in love with his writing style and characters. I noticed he co-wrote this with a woman, which makes me curious as to how the process was for crafting the two leads in this. I felt like Jesse had a lot of Linklater written into him. I loved the setting and how ordinary places seemed so incredible because of the moments that these two characters were sharing. This is exactly the type of film I want to write and direct in my career. Delicate flawed humans as the leads talking about abstract yet very real topics that hold a lot of weight for crafting the characters right in front of you. This is one of my favorite love stories i've ever watched. Up there with Will and Skylar in Good Will Hunting.

I really want to watch the next two now.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2015, 06:01 AM   #90723
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    Before Sunrise A+

First time viewing. Linklater does it again for me. I am just in love with his writing style and characters. I noticed he co-wrote this with a woman, which makes me curious as to how the process was for crafting the two leads in this. I felt like Jesse had a lot of Linklater written into him. I loved the setting and how ordinary places seemed so incredible because of the moments that these two characters were sharing. This is exactly the type of film I want to write and direct in my career. Delicate flawed humans as the leads talking about abstract yet very real topics that hold a lot of weight for crafting the characters right in front of you. This is one of my favorite love stories i've ever watched. Up there with Will and Skylar in Good Will Hunting.

I really want to watch the next two now.
    Linklater did base it off a real life experience in which he spent a whole night with a woman walking the streets of Philly. I do not believe his co-writer is the same woman, but it'd be interesting to know if she also experienced something similar.

Sunrise is my favorite of the series, but that's purely a preference versus it being an actual of finding one better over the others. It's probably my favorite trilogy. I would also recommend spacing out each movie for like a week between viewings. It emulates the passing of time from movie to movie and I think it enriches the experience as a result.
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Something about power boosts with anal plugs didn't quite put it above Shawshank Redemption for me
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    Both movies do have anal, though.
    AlpineValley804 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2015, 06:44 AM   #90724
    clayj41

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Sunrise > Sunset > Midnight

But there's not a single thing wrong with any of them. As Casey said, it's all a matter of preference. I just prefer burgeoning love over post-honeymoon phase, depressingly realistic love.
    clayj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2015, 07:27 AM   #90725
    clayj41

My Tour Central Stats

First trailer for David O. Russell's Joy:

http://collider.com/joy-trailer-jenn...iness-dynasty/

I dig it.
    Old 07-15-2015, 07:38 AM   #90726
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Finally got around to watching "Fury" last night - I thought it was good but not great. They did a great job casting, particularly Pitt and that young kid. I also liked how they developed that kids character and showed just how burnt out the veterans were after fighting since Africa. Also the hand weapons carried were very accurate- if admittedly captured from Germans, or carried by them. Liked the way they broke that kid down before building him back up. The cinematography and special effects were great. Also the shells in the tank were accurate, loved how they showed the variety of shell types available to commanders - High Explosive, Armor Piercing and White Phosphorous were standard issue for most tanks. Lastly, it was nice to see a movie dedicated to the armored branch which has largely been ignored by hollywood in favor of infantry, aircraft and combined arms.

I did have some small gripes though, mainly because I have read to much on ww2 for my own good. First and foremost I noted two of the tank crew using German weapons, that is a huge no no in war due to the fact that each weapon makes a unique sound and hearing an enemy weapon is likely to draw friendly fire. That movie was a tad narrow in scope for my tastes but I guess that is how they wanted to do it because of the tank factor. Their tank was historically inaccurate, by that point in the war Sherman tanks had been upgraded to the 'firefly' model with a heaver main gun to punch through thicker enemy armor, you can note the distinctive lack of a muzzle brake to see the difference. I understand that eventualities come up in war that cannot be avoided but sending 4 tanks (only 1 of which reached the destination) to hold off a big German column at a crucial crossroads (all as important as bridges) was a tad odd. No one makes an attack like that without reserves, air power (at that point the allies had absolutely complete air superiority) and infantry to help out. Lastly, at one point that Major said something along the lines of "Eisenhower is pushing for Berlin - which was completely untrue because Ike had already decided that an attack on Berlin would not happen, let the commies get their first because they were closer and had more available men, secondly because he knew the decision to divide the city had already been made and lastly because he figured if the commies wanted to get into the worlds biggest street fight so be it, not sense in risking Americans for a city with no strategic value whatsoever.

All in all a good but not great movie, probably give it a 7 out of ten.
    Old 07-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #90727
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    Wrestler
    Requiem
    Pi
    Black Swan
    Fountain

Haven't seen noah. Don't really plan on it.
    This is my list just with Noah at the bottom.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #90728
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by clayj41 View Post

But there's not a single thing wrong with any of them. As Casey said, it's all a matter of preference. I just prefer burgeoning love over post-honeymoon phase, depressingly realistic love.
    Exactly, and usually I am the opposite where I do prefer material that is depressingly realistic, but Linklater managed to present the burgeoning love in such an emotionally honest way, that it never once felt contrived or forceful, which is what burgeoning love often falls victim to in the movies.

Sunrise is a Top 10 movie for me. I'm a cynical person, but every time I watch that film, that side of my personality wipes away. I find myself smiling throughout the entire viewing. My rewatch of the whole trilogy is long overdue.
    Something about power boosts with anal plugs didn't quite put it above Shawshank Redemption for me
    Quote:
    Old 07-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #90729
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I dig it.
    I'm all in for that one.
    Quote:
    Old 07-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #90730
    jrod41
    Rowsdower saves us

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

exactly my thoughts
    jrod41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #90731
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lcsulla View Post
    Finally got around to watching "Fury" last night - I thought it was good but not great. They did a great job casting, particularly Pitt and that young kid. I also liked how they developed that kids character and showed just how burnt out the veterans were after fighting since Africa. Also the hand weapons carried were very accurate- if admittedly captured from Germans, or carried by them. Liked the way they broke that kid down before building him back up. The cinematography and special effects were great. Also the shells in the tank were accurate, loved how they showed the variety of shell types available to commanders - High Explosive, Armor Piercing and White Phosphorous were standard issue for most tanks. Lastly, it was nice to see a movie dedicated to the armored branch which has largely been ignored by hollywood in favor of infantry, aircraft and combined arms.

I did have some small gripes though, mainly because I have read to much on ww2 for my own good. First and foremost I noted two of the tank crew using German weapons, that is a huge no no in war due to the fact that each weapon makes a unique sound and hearing an enemy weapon is likely to draw friendly fire. That movie was a tad narrow in scope for my tastes but I guess that is how they wanted to do it because of the tank factor. Their tank was historically inaccurate, by that point in the war Sherman tanks had been upgraded to the 'firefly' model with a heaver main gun to punch through thicker enemy armor, you can note the distinctive lack of a muzzle brake to see the difference. I understand that eventualities come up in war that cannot be avoided but sending 4 tanks (only 1 of which reached the destination) to hold off a big German column at a crucial crossroads (all as important as bridges) was a tad odd. No one makes an attack like that without reserves, air power (at that point the allies had absolutely complete air superiority) and infantry to help out. Lastly, at one point that Major said something along the lines of "Eisenhower is pushing for Berlin - which was completely untrue because Ike had already decided that an attack on Berlin would not happen, let the commies get their first because they were closer and had more available men, secondly because he knew the decision to divide the city had already been made and lastly because he figured if the commies wanted to get into the worlds biggest street fight so be it, not sense in risking Americans for a city with no strategic value whatsoever.

Pretty much hate quoting myself but another thing that bugged me was when the tank hit a mine and knocked the treads off. Little while later there were Germans attacking all over surrounding that tank on foot, I have never heard of a single mine being placed (IED's withstanding) because they are generally part of a mine field!
    Old 07-16-2015, 03:10 AM   #90732
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I dig it.
    Too much annoying bitch, not enough Coop.

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-16-2015, 07:39 AM   #90733
    salrx95

Shows Seen: 60

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I enjoyed your review. I am a huge WWII fan, though I'm not as well versed as you. History was always my favorite subject in school. I remember doing my social studies 8th grade fair project on WWII in Europe and still annoyed I only got 2nd place. I had done the whole map of Europe in clay in different colors for axis/allies, neutral, with toothpicks in the major cities, key battlegrounds like Normandy. I am still so proud of that project.

I finally watched this movie a couple of weeks ago, too. My wife and I generally catch up on lots of movie watching in summer. I liked it a lot but had some issues with it, mostly regarding the final scenes. They portrayed the Germans as so dumb in that final scene and for so many different reasons. Mostly, what bothered me was they showed the Germans walking in with so many carrying their bazookas over their shoulders but then it takes forever for them to use them and they need to get them out of a crate. They then misfire from close range. Not to mention how many of them ran in front a tank's machine gun. Entertaining nonetheless.
    salrx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-16-2015, 07:57 AM   #90734
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Fury felt a lot like Saving Private Ryan with tanks
    Old 07-16-2015, 08:03 AM   #90735
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by salrx95 View Post
    Mostly, what bothered me was they showed the Germans walking in with so many carrying their bazookas over their shoulders but then it takes forever for them to use them and they need to get them out of a crate. They then misfire from close range. Not to mention how many of them ran in front a tank's machine gun. Entertaining nonetheless.
    Thank you for your kind words about my review. As for the 'bazooka' - german's did not use them, they used panzerfausts or panzerschreks - far more effective and easier to use than a bazooka. What bugged me the most about that part was they were wandering around a damn mine field like it was a cow pasture!
    Old 07-16-2015, 08:05 AM   #90736
    Benny003

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 View Post
    Fury felt a lot like Saving Private Ryan with tanks
    I can't tell if this is a serious statement or not.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #90737
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl - 8.5/10

I enjoyed it thoroughly. It was very charismatic and I enjoy movies that express ideas in visually symbolic ways, like the hot girl interactions being represented as a moose inadvertently stomping all over the lowly forest mouse (500 Days of Summer did similar things for a comparison). Lots of clever dialogue. Reminded me of Perks of Being a Wallflower in a lot of ways. I thought the feelings and themes of being a teenager were well captured and the main character's motivations for his behavior were well developed. All in all it was pretty great in my opinion. If there are people who didn't like it I could probably understand why, but it hit all the right chords for me personally.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-16-2015, 08:25 AM   #90738
    salrx95

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thank you for your kind words about my review. As for the 'bazooka' - german's did not use them, they used panzerfausts or panzerschreks - far more effective and easier to use than a bazooka. What bugged me the most about that part was they were wandering around a damn mine field like it was a cow pasture!
    Yeah,I couldn't remember the word panzerfausts right then so I called them Bazookas. And those Germans were supposed to be "elite".
    salrx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2015, 08:03 AM   #90739
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

got a relaxing weekend ahead of me so I just got super aggressive at Redbox. On tap for tonight:

Ex Machina
    Focus
    The Duff

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #90740
    clayj41

My Tour Central Stats

The first trailer for Iñárritu‘s The Revenant has been released, and while it doesn't reveal much about the plot, it looks goddamn beautiful:

http://collider.com/the-revenant-tra...rio-tom-hardy/

Lubezski has already wrapped up the cinematography Oscar in my mind. Iñárritu, DiCaprio, and Tom Hardy are all front runners as well.
    Old 07-17-2015, 08:45 AM   #90741
    SeekUpSaratoga

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The first trailer for Iñárritu‘s The Revenant has been released, and while it doesn't reveal much about the plot, it looks goddamn beautiful:

http://collider.com/the-revenant-tra...rio-tom-hardy/

Lubezski has already wrapped up the cinematography Oscar in my mind. Iñárritu, DiCaprio, and Tom Hardy are all front runners as well.
    Looks amazing!
    Old 07-17-2015, 08:49 AM   #90742
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

that looks (visually) fantastic

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #90743
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by salrx95 View Post
    Yeah,I couldn't remember the word panzerfausts right then so I called them Bazookas. And those Germans were supposed to be "elite".
    I sort of disagree on the elite status. This was set in April 1945, last days of the war. Yes they were SS who got priority in weapons but the actual soldiers were not exactly elite because the vast majority of them were replacements, draftees, returning wounded or kids right out of the Hitler Youth.
    Old 07-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #90744
    DMBluedevils

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Finally watched No Country For Old Men. I liked it a lot but the ending was definitely iffy for me. I read about it and I guess the plot wasn't as important as the overall message.
    DMBluedevils is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #90745
    whyiam34
    Storrs Forever

Shows Seen: 96

My Tour Central Stats

So the revenant trailer just dropped. Really excited for this one. I think Leo and Hardy are going to absolutely kill it.
    whyiam34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #90746
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBluedevils View Post
    Finally watched No Country For Old Men. I liked it a lot but the ending was definitely iffy for me. I read about it and I guess the plot wasn't as important as the overall message.
    I remember the first time I watched that movie. I freaked out. I thought my DVD player had stopped working or something was wrong with my tv. Then the credits started rolling and I realized it was just an abrupt ending.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #90747
    DMBluedevils

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    I remember the first time I watched that movie. I freaked out. I thought my DVD player had stopped working or something was wrong with my tv. Then the credits started rolling and I realized it was just an abrupt ending.
    Haha yeah dude I kinda did the same thing. I turned to my brother and was like what the fuck? Haha I was thinking to myself during those last scenes please don't be the end.
    DMBluedevils is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #90748
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Minions

Was awful

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
    Go Kings Go.
    dmbetc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #90749
    jrod41
    Rowsdower saves us

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Inside Out- This one hit home for me. Such a fun, imaginative, and emotional ride. Best Pixar movie in awhile, and probably around #5 overall for me. 9/10

Slow West- Loved the look and tone of it. Fassbender rocked. Not enough Rory McCann or Ben Mendelsohn. Could have been a tad bit longer. 7.5/10
    jrod41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #90750
    Tomriddle
    Ga Ga Ooh La La

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBluedevils View Post
    The ending takes some getting used to but it's worth it IMO
    Tomriddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    cameos = spoiler tag , spoiler that shit